Rugby World Cup 2007

FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
Well for those of you who've been supporting someone for the world cup, you'll know that we've now entered the knock out stages. :)
I'm behind England and am currently over the moon, totally happy that we beat the Aussies this afternoon. It was tight and it was tough but in the end, I think we played superb and thoroughly deserved our win. The Aussies were doing a few dirty things and there was a bit of bad language being shouted at the telly from my family, but fortunately the ref spotted most of it and the score reflected it. :)

On other teams, a few shocks have come, with Argentina and Figi! Figi beating Wales last week wasn't something I saw coming and as someone who watched Argentina play France, I can safely say that after that, who knows where Argentina might get to!

What are everyone elses views on the tournament so far and who are you all backing? :)
Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    I'm behind England and am currently over the moon, totally happy that we beat the Aussies this afternoon.
    X-( X-( I can accept alot of things, but I can NOT accept loosing to England. X-( ;)
    The Aussies were doing a few dirty things and there was a bit of bad language being shouted at the telly from my family, but fortunately the ref spotted most of it and the score reflected it. :)
    It seems that we didn't do enough 'dirty things.' Perhaps we should have arranged for you to be affected by food poisoning, like New Zealand was in 1995. :))
    What are everyone elses views on the tournament so far and who are you all backing? :)
    Now that Australia is out, I'm going for anybody but England. :p :D Seriously, I'm going for New Zealand since they're basically the seventh state of Australia. ;) No, I will probably go for Argentina.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,742MI6 Agent
    Supporting NZ is a bit of a bad move too! :)

How exciting was that France/NZ match? Great stuff.
    emtiem wrote:
    Yeh, I don't think I'll be supporting them. The truth is, I'm not much of a Rugby fan, and with Australia out, there isn't really any reason for me to continue taking interest in the tournament. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Yeh, I don't think I'll be supporting them.

Well you won't really be getting the chance! Did you catch the France game at all?
    emtiem wrote:
    Well you won't really be getting the chance! Did you catch the France game at all?
    No. I don't follow Rugby at all, with the most I've ever watched from any one game being a few minutes. Until now, I had no idea who were the remaining nations apart from England.
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    ENGLAND ARE IN THE FINAL!!! {[]
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    ENGLAND ARE IN THE FINAL!!! {[]

Can't believe it. It was a great match between England and Les Bleus. What a match. That Wilkinson, the best first five in the game today. Shame to see the ABs out, but I reckon England has a got a good shot at the cup this time around. That is if they can beat South Africa, and this is if SA can beat Argentina. Those Pumas have some good forwards, but those Boks have some good backs...can't wait for tomorrow's match!!!
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    I googled "James Bond" today and saw that Craig offered his best wishes to England's rugby team before the final against South Africa. But I also see the game has been played and it didn't work out (I haven't followed the game in years but was a big fan as a kid -- see picture below). That's too bad. Sorry England fans. And congratulation South Africa, if there are any South Africans on the board.

I'm curious: when I was a kid, the big rugby tournament was the Five Nation Tournament with England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland and France. I seem to remember Australia in there at some point, but that would of course negate the tournament's name. Do they still play this tournament, or has it been superceded by the World Cup, which I don't think existed in my day?

http://image-parcours.linternaute.com/image/450/1/5216028095/518954.jpg

(Standing, last on the left, in '69 at Les Bagatelles fields in Paris)
    Craig did say hello yes- I heard one of the members of the team very proudly saying that James Bond had wished them luck (from Lithuania, I think he said).

A shame they lost, but SA definitely deserved to win; they were better. England didn't lose by a huge amount, though, so they should be proud.

And yes Highopes, that tournament is still going- it's the Six Nations, now :)
    I'm not devastated at all that England lost :p :D but what has really made my day is that France failed to finish higher than fourth. :D
    So, having not being a Rugby follower you're basing that soley on nationalism, are you Dan? ;)

I was a bit sad about France- I was really rooting for them against NZ, and being the hosts I felt they deserved to finish in third at least.
    emtiem wrote:
    Craig did say hello yes- I heard one of the members of the team very proudly saying that James Bond had wished them luck (from Lithuania, I think he said).

A shame they lost, but SA definitely deserved to win; they were better. England didn't lose by a huge amount, though, so they should be proud.

And yes Highopes, that tournament is still going- it's the Six Nations, now :)

They also said Craig was filming -- Isn't that a bit early for Bond? I thought it was November or something. Not that I'm complaining.

So the tournament is different from the World Cup, then? What's the sixth nation? Australia? Do the same national teams play in both? I remember the tournament players were amateur in my day. Are the World Cup players pros?

I remember seeing a few tournament games at Colombes stadium. Once I got to see France's national team play New Zealand's All-Blacks, who were just about unbeatable at the time. But it was just an exhibition game. I also remember seeing the San Francisco Athletic Club rugby team play the Racing Club of France (the much-hated RCF, from my vantage point as a player for Courbevoie -- we viewed them as archivals although I don't think they thought about us much at all :))) and beating them in an exhibition game. I enjoyed that. This was at a time when very few people in the States were familiar with rugby and the SF team had to be one of the first.

Small aside: the guy kneeling second from left in the picture went on to become a pretty well-known French sportswriter in France. He's with the Olympic Museum now. I stumbled across that fact just a couple years ago on the Internet, because he's one of the few guys on the team whose full name I still remember. Small world.
    highhopes wrote:
    So the tournament is different from the World Cup, then? What's the sixth nation? Australia? Do the same national teams play in both? I remember the tournament players were amateur in my day. Are the World Cup players pros?
    I believe the sixth nation is Italy, although emtium will be able to give you more information. In regards to your other questions, the World Cup, which started in 1987 (and has been won by Australia twice :D) is different to the Six Nations. It's the most important Rugby tournament in the world, and is the only tournament that non-Rugby fans such as myself really notice. Additionally, the Rygby players are pros; I believe the game turned fully professional sometime in the mid 90's.
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    I'm really sad England didn't win :( oh well, better luck next time
    207qoznfl4.gif
    edited October 2007
    emtiem wrote:
    So, having not being a Rugby follower you're basing that soley on nationalism, are you Dan? ;)
    Of course. There are certain teams or countries that if they were to lose, one might not be particularly upset. As an Australian, I can't stand the idea of England winning at sport. ;) I'm not as passionately anti-English as some other Australians, as the countries I'm most passionate about seeing fail in sport are the US and France; preferably at the hands of Australia. :D This does not mean that I dislike England, France or the US. It simply means that when it comes to Olympic swimming I'm most excited about beating the Americans, in cricket I'm most excited about winning the Ashes and in Soccer I very much hope that France does not qualify for Euro 2008. :))
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Of course. There are certain teams or countries that if they were to lose, one might not be particularly upset.
    There was a very cheery atmosphere in my local pub on Saturday night, so the only ones particularly upset happened to be the very small grouping who had accents from south of the Tweed ;)

I was, however, hoping France would finish higher, but they did put on a good tournament! {[]
    unitedkingdom.png
    edited October 2007
    For me, the two interesting thing about the World Cup are the significance of the victory upon South Africa and its people, and whether or not New Zealand will ever be able to pull it together and actually go on to win the thing.
    There was a very cheery atmosphere in my local pub on Saturday night, so the only ones particularly upset happened to be the very small grouping who had accents from south of the Tweed ;)
    :)) I can imagine. ;)
    Seems a very negative way to have fun, that. To enjoy someone else losing.
    emtiem wrote:
    And it is great fun! :)
    unitedkingdom.png
    edited October 2007
    emtiem wrote:
    And it is great fun! :)
    I second that. :D

I don't think it's a very negative way to have fun at all. I mean, in my case, it's not completely serious. I love to see Australia beat America and America lose but I have nothing against the US. It's not like in our national Australian Rules competition where I absolutely hate a particular club and there is nothing about them that I like. (Well, I may be exaggerating a little. ;))
    edited October 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    I don't think it's a very negative way to have fun at all. I mean, in my case, it's not completely serious.
    Exactly! I was watching the game in the pub with my best mate, who's originally from Hounslow, and another close friend, born in Doncaster to a Yorkshire family but raised here. They were both wearing England rugby shirts. We had a laugh. We (another two mates who are more indigenous) were cheering on their opposing team, not wishing a plague on their homes or cursing their players.

Of course, you do get some people who just have absolutely no sense of friendly rivalry or banter 8-) They tend to sit in the corner, on their own, with no friends...
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Of course, you do get some people who just have absolutely no sense of friendly rivalry or banter 8-) They tend to sit in the corner, on their own, with no friends...

:D ...

As for me, we must have been the only house in England not watching the final. I had a rare Saturday night off and I wasn't spending it watching rugby! Needless to say I was more engrossed in Sharon Osbourne's antics in X Factor.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,680Chief of Staff

:)) :D :))

And, Lady Rose, you weren't alone in not watching the Rugby World Cup Final - but you probably were in watching X-Factor :))
    YNWA 97
  • ToshTogoToshTogo Rep. of South AfricaPosts: 103MI6 Agent
    Well done to england for reaching the final, it was an intense match and they were very strong and worthy opponents. As a South African, watching the Boks win the final has been a long road of late nights and reuduced fingernails hehehe.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

:)) :D :))

And, Lady Rose, you weren't alone in not watching the Rugby World Cup Final - but you probably were in watching X-Factor :))

I take it you're more of a Strictly Come Dancing fan yourself then ;) :))
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    Good on the Boks for winning! I favored them to at least be in the final and probably the strongest side in the tournament, although I hoped they would lose to NZ... :'( and DanSame, Kiwis have been asking the question of whether or not the ABs can get it together for 20 years now. Maybe we can pull it off in Eden Park!
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • ToshTogoToshTogo Rep. of South AfricaPosts: 103MI6 Agent
    Good on the Boks for winning! I favored them to at least be in the final and probably the strongest side in the tournament, although I hoped they would lose to NZ... :'( and DanSame, Kiwis have been asking the question of whether or not the ABs can get it together for 20 years now. Maybe we can pull it off in Eden Park!

I had a bet going that NZ would be in the final with SA, i was shocked when they lost, as well as when Oz was beaten too.
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    I deeply enjoyed our win over the aussies. :D It was a cracking match and very nerve racking. I was also pleased France beat NZ. I was hoping that if england got to the final we wouldn't have to face NZ and would have a better chance of winning. :D ha ha
    Dan Same wrote:
    highhopes wrote:
    I believe the sixth nation is Italy, although emtium will be able to give you more information. In regards to your other questions, the World Cup, which started in 1987 (and has been won by Australia twice :D) is different to the Six Nations. It's the most important Rugby tournament in the world, and is the only tournament that non-Rugby fans such as myself really notice. Additionally, the Rygby players are pros; I believe the game turned fully professional sometime in the mid 90's.

It is tru that most the players are professional, but there are quite a few of the Argentinian tea who don't play professionally back home! :o Quite a shocker considering how well they did. I did enjoy their first win over France. :D
    ToshTogo wrote:

I had a bet going that NZ would be in the final with SA, i was shocked when they lost, as well as when Oz was beaten too.

That's a real surprise for me that NZ can lose. You guys have no idea how invincible the All-Blacks seemed to be back when I was a kid. They were absolutely other-wordly. Kind of like the Harlem Globe Trotters of rugby. It was as if the other team was just there so NZ could have a little fun.

But then again, when I look at American football's San Francisco 49ers of the 1980s, I can understand how far the mighty can fall.