Another Way To Die - Video

124»

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,742MI6 Agent
    royalmile wrote:
    Well, the "Thunderball" theme starts on beat 2, whereas the "James Bond Theme" starts on beat one. That's just one thing that is "arranged" rather than directly quoted. And musically, can alter a song a lot.

I'm sure you're right- but to my untrained ear it sounds just like the Bond theme fanfare with a couple of notes stuck on the end. I doubt many other members of the audience would be able to tell you which beat it starts on either- I bet more can spot the Bond theme in Thunderball than can in AWTD, though.
    royalmile wrote:
    I just feel it's a ham-fisted way to refer to the "Bond Universe" and a bit insulting to the loyal fan, TBH.

Seriously, though- are you talking about the seven piano notes?
    Can anyone else hear the Bond theme in there? Anyone else being insulted by those seven notes?
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    I actually like that little lick on the piano---no insult experienced---and yes, I do hear the Bond theme there... :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • agent colinagent colin Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    the film is cursed
    -HORRIFIC song
    -Chrashed and lost car
    -No Bond,James Bond

The song is a mess, no cordination, a mix of rock pop rap and jazz i can't stand it. it is a load of fu****ng rubbish
    Well, it would be a boring world if we all agreed, wouldn't it? :)
  • frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent

I'm an absolute pushover for Bond themes...and I really like this one, as well. I've a very strong feeling that it will play well over the titles...which is really what counts, as far as I'm concerned.

I like Bond theme songs that work as standalone songs as well. An interesting title sequence may make this song tolerable, but a good theme song shouldn't need that.

I do enjoy listening to the Bond themes without watching the movies. In fact, Bond songs are among those that get played the most on my iPod. Unfortunately, I really don't think this will be the case with AWTD :#
    edited October 2008
    I do enjoy listening to the Bond themes without watching the movies. In fact, Bond songs are among those that get played the most on my iPod. Unfortunately, I really don't think this will be the case with AWTD :#

I do this as well---and as a matter of fact, I've got a new Bond mix disc saved and ready to burn...all I'm waiting for is the QoS soundtrack CD to be released, then AWTD will finish out the project -{
  • royalmileroyalmile Station CPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    royalmile wrote:
    Well, the "Thunderball" theme starts on beat 2, whereas the "James Bond Theme" starts on beat one. That's just one thing that is "arranged" rather than directly quoted. And musically, can alter a song a lot.

I'm sure you're right- but to my untrained ear it sounds just like the Bond theme fanfare with a couple of notes stuck on the end. I doubt many other members of the audience would be able to tell you which beat it starts on either- I bet more can spot the Bond theme in Thunderball than can in AWTD, though.
    royalmile wrote:
    I just feel it's a ham-fisted way to refer to the "Bond Universe" and a bit insulting to the loyal fan, TBH.

Seriously, though- are you talking about the seven piano notes?
    Can anyone else hear the Bond theme in there? Anyone else being insulted by those seven notes?

Not insulted by the notes, per se.......... :))
    Just the way they're put across. Perhaps a useful analogy would be an author who cobbles a sentence together as opposed to creating something of beauty from the same linguistic tools.
    Speaking of which, it's an incidental point, but just for the sake of clarity, "Thunderball" does also hit the m7 to the 6 as opposed to the standard Maj7-m7 move. It's different from the Bond theme itself in a few ways. But as I said, quoting oneself is a far different matter to inelegantly ripping another. And once it's already been done.............
    It's decidedly a matter of opinion whether or not you ultimately like it, of course. Some people think Celine Dion is a wonderful performer - there's no accounting for taste. :)) For my taste, the way it's put across sounds half-thought and ultimately is far too "Vauxhall Astra" and not nearly enough "Aston Martin DB5".
    Like I said before, it would greatly surprise me to discover either White or Keys to be any kind of bona fide 007 fan. Not that that has to be a prerequisite to coming up with a great theme tune, certainly. But in this case I think it's a wee bit too obvious in a couple of ways. My own humble opinion is that here they caught the ball with the wrong hand, so to speak.
    On a closely related issue, thank goodness Jack White isn't "pulling a Madonna" and asking Bond to lace him up in the movie. Though if Alicia Keys appeared on-screen, I'd have no objections.............
  • sevetset1sevetset1 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Just a thought. Everyone wants to give the Bond songs an update sound with a real sexy kink to it. So far, nothing has worked very well yet. So if we want to pick a new performer or group who CAN deliver a kick a$$ bond sound, how about someone like Enigma or Hybrid to do a bond theme song?

As I said...just a thought.
  • frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
    Enigma would be good. I also think that Depeche Mode and Goldfrapp would do well if given the task of creating the next Bond song.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    If you want to sell songs and spice up the video I have two words for you, Britney Spears. I am dead serious, her latest release is #1 on Itunes, #1 on Billboard hot 100 and her video is the number 1 requested video. If you really want to sell, that is the answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXjvUYMps3w
  • royalmileroyalmile Station CPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    I have two words for you, Britney Spears.

Barry, that could bring on replies of two words, couldn't it?