Quantum of Solace Quick Reviews - No Spoilers

Comments

• 3_Blind_Mice3_Blind_Mice Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    Stilton :007)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,365Chief of Staff
    edited November 2008
    Well, we've moved from discussing tailoring to cheese. What's next, I wonder? :D

For the record, and back on-topic- I didn't like the first half of QoS much but loved the second half (using the word 'half' loosely) which I have already said what seems like a year ago. And I'm a VERY long-term fan (over 40 years, OMG) and officially an old fart.
  • BondlikeBondlike Posts: 26MI6 Agent
    basically a generic action film--the prodcuers have once again frogotten their roots--this is not james bond---most of the elements are missing--they have thrown out the baby with the bathwater
  • AlessandraAlessandra Lake Garda, ItalyPosts: 633MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    If not 'drag down' then a continual bashing of the film...to the point where some people refuse to post on this thread anymore. And that's a bit sad...it doesn't appear to be a dicussion anymore...more of a tirade...

If many people don't like it and feel free to express their opinion, I see nothing wrong with that. Just like some of the critics plain out stopped posting after CR because of the huge hype that they couldn't tolerate, I guess some can't tolerate the criticism (which isn't as big as the hype since it's not 95 to 5 like it was for CR). And it's not a tirade, it is opinions that the critics have a right to express just like the likers have a right to express the opposite views. Whether people feel or don't feel like posting (on both sides, be it for QoS or CR) because they are "sensitive" to certain matters is another story. That's got nothing to do with freedom of speech, that nobody has taken away from anyone.

Cheese?? :)) :)) :)) I don't eat raw cheese other than mozzarella or robiolino, so there. (I am aware it's blasphemy since I'm Italian... :)))Next topic? Bond girl shoes? No wait we are already going with that in the Bond girl thread :))
    "Are we on coms?" (if you don't know where this is from... you've missed some really good stuff! :D)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Seen QOS three times now, it's growing on me. I like Brie, but I am partial to Baby Bel too, although don't abuse me for that ;%

:o OMG, I KNEW, that you have this thing for red strings... :D

I personally like Parmigiano Reggiano
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • avekevavekev UkPosts: 122MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

If not 'drag down' then a continual bashing of the film...to the point where some people refuse to post on this thread anymore. And that's a bit sad...it doesn't appear to be a dicussion anymore...more of a tirade...

{[] To be totally honest I've stopped trying to express my appreciation for this great film as I am also getting fed up of the constant tirade of negativity.

But on a more positive note :) I've always been very partial to a nice selection of good quality English cheeses!
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

By which you mean that DC is not stylish. Which is absolute bunkum ! Pierce was told to wear Brioni, Daniel insisted on Tom Ford clothes. Seems pretty stylish to me, either way.

Hello Sir Miles,

I think, being stylish has not so much to do with your preferred suit brand.

It is more the combination of looks, personality and the right clothing.

As an example: You may put Ron Wood in a TF suit, he'll still not look elegant.

Same here with Craig in my opinion:

He looks good in wearing casual and I like how he looks in a tux, but I think, he's looking terrible with a suit.

And to my opinion, Tom Ford is very much overrated compared to the traditional high-end suit makers in terms of quality.

P.S. I know, very off-topic, but I did not start it ;%

Hi Markus...

...well..each to their own..I think DC looks far, far better in a suit than Pierce could ever dream of...DC has the perfect 'shape' for wearing a suit in QoS..he's not as 'bulky' as he was in CR...and the cut of his suits are much better for it - check out his shoulder line for example...

...with suits...again...each to their own...what DOES make one brand better than another..?..usually personal preference plays a big part...

..and I've seen Ron Wood in a suit...he looked pretty good to me...although he's really not my type :))

Hey...I like talking clothes too...I actually prefer Italian-styled clothes...but please don't tell Alessandra that ;)

Hello Paul,

I think, my point has been that being "stylish" does not have necessarily something to do with the brand of your choice.

And I think, Alessandra said it correctly: It is a mix from looks, attitude, motion and personality.

I agree, that DC looks much better suited than in CR, he infact has been too bulky (but I am envy as my wife is always referring to him in those GPs... :( ).
    To my taste, Bond is very much overdressed in the plane to Bolivia (but it has been obviously used to get some more TF into the movie).

I agree, that the cut from his suit is very well and we all know that TF can do this very well, but it is still a designer brand to me and not a serious tailor.

And for Brosnan-Bond being stylish? Err... not exactly classic in my eyes (those ties! Those three-button suits!) He did look great in a tux, though.
    These comparisons to PBs suit fashion are a bit unfair to me. The cuts of the 90s have aged a little but let's see how the TF suits look in 10 years.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:
    ...and then there's those really weird Bond fans who like ALL Bond/Bond films, but that's a whole 'nuther kettle of wacky fish.

Actually, I draw the line at Woody Allen and JB Jr. I remember as a kid who grew up with Moore as the resident Bond, I had to contend with regular comments from an uncle who pointed out how girly he walked, punched, etc., then having to reconcile that whenver I watched Connery, and hence I developed a univeral appreciation/tollerance for all Bonds, including NSNA, the Fleming bios, etc.

On Craig, I really do have to admit that I need to actively suspend notions of a conventionally handsome Bond, as stalwartly as the best suspension bridges do, I suppose. I accept Craig's persona as a trade-off in which we get the alpha male incarnation of Bond, looks and all, just as I've learn to take a visually cue from Arnold Schwarzenegger's gapped teeth, circus strongman looks, or Stallone's self confessed Mr. Potato head noggin.

" ...Mr. Craig, can I feel your...muscle?" :))
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    yikes! IMO -and I am a man who likes good style and clothes. I think that Daniel Craig fits his suits excellently - They are well tailored and give him the perfect sillouhette. Brosnan did look great and will always look stylish -but the Brioni suits din't seem right to me (Bond shouldn't wear a three buttoned suit!) - For a start I would still prefer 007's suits to be tailored on the Row and not elsewhere (an opinion I'm entitled to and do not have so as to cause any arguments.) Connery looked fantastic in his Savile Row attire -which when it really comes down to classic style that is what the fashion industry more often than not refer back to. The fifties and sixties were the period when the classic English Gentleman look was able to be mixed with the more continental looks that were coming from, for example - Italy -hence you began to see style become more adventurous in terms of colour and fabrics -you only have to see the original Mods of the early sixties to understand the increased interest in fashion and style. Connery's films reflect this with the sharp suits he wears in his movies. The elegance and lines that his suits had -helped turn this rather "rough" man into a man of class and style. I personally see the same thing with Daniel Craig. someone mentioned his suits in CR didn't fit particularly well - my reasoning for this is that his first outing as 007 showed a man who has only just been made a 00 - He so far had not had the luxury of the expense account properly and is basically "evolving" In the next film I should imagine he will look and perhaps be a little classier. But that does not mean he has no class at all. He looks really stylish in QOS the levi's and Desert boots with the polo and jacket are excellent casual attire that will not ever go out of style. The tux -well that was lucky that fitted so well considering the manner in which he got it - the suit he wears at the end we can not really see because of the Crombie style overcoat he is wearing -but you can see that that fits perfectly. IMO Craig wears his clothes well -he moves in an assured manner and at times in a suitable understated manner that for me makes him the best 007 since Connery.
    And as there is so much cheese flying around -don't you think someone should open the wine? :D
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    avekev wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

{[] To be totally honest I've stopped trying to express my appreciation for this great film as I am also getting fed up of the constant tirade of negativity.

But on a more positive note :) I've always been very partial to a nice selection of good quality English cheeses!

Yep, I agree....there seems to be no point...but anyway...

Favourite cheese, well, I would have to say camembert...but you have to make sure you get the right crackers. (And a good vintage port to compliment it -{ )
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • cpoulos62cpoulos62 Station UPosts: 451MI6 Agent
    Saw QoS first time yesterday. Here are my first impressions.

Not as good as CR, not close. I really liked the action but it lacked appropriate dialog and substance. I think that the biggest issue is that 105 minutes is not enough for all the action in this film. By just adding 30 minutes of appropriate dialog to tie in CR and the scenes together could have made this a great movie. I think that if u did not see CR, you would have been lost during much of the movie.
    Lexi wrote:
    avekev wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Yep, I agree....there seems to be no point...but anyway...

Favourite cheese, well, I would have to say camembert...but you have to make sure you get the right crackers. (And a good vintage port to compliment it -{ )

There's no point in any case because neither those who like it or those who dislike it change their minds obviously, since it's their taste. The whole discussion is just and merely for fun, not to get to a point of agreement, since different taste can't change because of a discussion. If I only want to talk to people who think the same as me I just don't go on a board where obviously there will be differing ideas. And here we go back to the initial point of this thread: there's little to no toleration for critic. And when one criticises they are accused of dragging down.
    "Are we on coms?" (if you don't know where this is from... you've missed some really good stuff! :D)
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    This is a review thread...so its to be expected that there will be both good and bad critiques, and we can choose to respond to which ones resonate with us.

As for 'cheese'...I'm fond of the Roger Moore variety.
  • the headlightthe headlight Posts: 26MI6 Agent
    It was just too much action and not enough plot.
    What I liked about Bond films is that he takes you on a journey around the world with him but in this film he just teleported to various locations where he could do stunts. That's not what I want from a bond film, this film was just so not good!
  • 3_Blind_Mice3_Blind_Mice Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    cpoulos62 wrote:
    Saw QoS first time yesterday. Here are my first impressions.

Not as good as CR, not close. I really liked the action but it lacked appropriate dialog and substance. I think that the biggest issue is that 105 minutes is not enough for all the action in this film. By just adding 30 minutes of appropriate dialog to tie in CR and the scenes together could have made this a great movie. I think that if u did not see CR, you would have been lost during much of the movie.

I think this is a fair comment. While I like the tight pacing and plotting, I hadn't looked at it from the perspective of a new viewer unfamiliar with the franchise.

Good observation, cpoulos62. -{

3BM
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    This is a review thread...so its to be expected that there will be both good and bad critiques, and we can choose to respond to which ones resonate with us.

Couldn't really put it better than that.

(I'm also partial to that variety of cheese too :D)
    unitedkingdom.png
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    And as there is so much cheese flying around -don't you think someone should open the whine? :D
    Quite enough of that going around already! :p ;)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,365Chief of Staff
    And as there is so much cheese flying around -don't you think someone should open the wine? :D

As long as they do it Caerphilly.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,606Chief of Staff
    Alessandra wrote:

If many people don't like it and feel free to express their opinion, I see nothing wrong with that. Just like some of the critics plain out stopped posting after CR because of the huge hype that they couldn't tolerate, I guess some can't tolerate the criticism (which isn't as big as the hype since it's not 95 to 5 like it was for CR). And it's not a tirade, it is opinions that the critics have a right to express just like the likers have a right to express the opposite views. Whether people feel or don't feel like posting (on both sides, be it for QoS or CR) because they are "sensitive" to certain matters is another story. That's got nothing to do with freedom of speech, that nobody has taken away from anyone.

I have no problem with free speech..it's just when anybody expresses a positive opinion of QoS...up you pop...ably assisted by others...to drag that person down...and THAT is not free speech ! And don't forget that MANY, MANY people do like QoS - the box-office cannot be wrong ;)
    Discuss away...I love to discuss people's opinions...and I don't try and change them...merely offer an alternative view...but EACH viewpoint is valid...I have no problem that you don't like QoS...I don't expect to change your opinion...and you have no chance of changing mine...I love QoS and all it's brashness and subtley...if you can't see it...well...that's your loss.
    YNWA 97
    Alessandra wrote:
    And here we go back to the initial point of this thread: there's little to no toleration for critic. And when one criticises they are accused of dragging down.

Not true.

If that were the case then this thread would have been closed long ago. Criticism is fine...continually bashing just seems petty. You don't like it...you don't like DC...I get it...move on...
    YNWA 97
    edited November 2008
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Alessandra wrote:
    And here we go back to the initial point of this thread: there's little to no toleration for critic. And when one criticises they are accused of dragging down.

Not true.

If that were the case then this thread would have been closed long ago. Criticism is fine...continually bashing just seems petty. You don't like it...you don't like DC...I get it...move on...

Ok now I am getting tired. I actually rarely reply to positive reviews UNLESS they are saying I have tacky taste because I like Pierce and I am influenced by my Italian taste. Otherwise if someone says something positive, I read and I do NOT bash their opinion. That is just not true. I have a differing opinion and that's one thing, bashing other's opinions is a completely different thing and that I never did and I don't do now. Also the fact I disagree with someone does NOT in ANY way change their freedom of speech. People disagree with me as well all the time. If I only wanted people to agree with me, I wouldn't even be posting on a board.

I find it is the exact opposite, that when something not appreciative of QoS is posted, those who like it feel like they've got to jump in and immediately put down whoever is critic. And that's been the case from the beginning of this thread. The thread being closed is mod decision and has got nothing to do with how SOME members (not all, some) can or cannot tolerate criticism/huge hype around a movie, be it QoS or CR. Which is what I was referring to when it comes to having little toleration for dissense. I wasn't talking about mods at all, that was a discussion about how people react, not about how the site is managed. In fact I said just like some couldn't tolerate the hype around CR and stopped posting because they were critics, others can't tolerate the criticism and don't post. Goes both ways.

And I also find it really unfair to put ON ME what other people say. People don't need me to express their opinions and they don't need me to start saying anything in order to speak for themselves, they've got brains of their own. And I don't have the habit of alerting anyone when I post, whether they agree with me or not. EVER.
    darenhat wrote:

Perfectly stated. And I think this is actually the whole point.
  • frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I have no problem with free speech..it's just when anybody expresses a positive opinion of QoS...up you pop...ably assisted by others...to drag that person down...and THAT is not free speech !

I'm sorry for "butting in", but I just have to say that I don't think Alessandra has been "dragging down" anybody ?:) Actually, in a lot of her posts, she's defending her point of view rather than attacking anyone. For example, she spent many of her posts lately defending her statement that Brioni suits(or at least the custom-tailored examples of that brand) are, in her opinion, of a higher quality than Tom Ford's custom-tailored suits. This may or may not be true (I can't tell, since I'm in no way a fashionista), but it's her opinion, and she was just defending it. Also, she has said many times that although she doesn't like DC's looks, if others feel differently, it's great because we can't all like the same things. I honestly don't see any "dragging down" anywhere.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    Hilarious.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    Alessandra wrote:
    Ok now I am getting tired. I actually rarely reply to positive reviews UNLESS they are saying I have tacky taste because I like Pierce and I am influenced by my Italian taste.
    I have to agree here. I'm not Italian, and to be bluntly honest Pierce is one of my least favourite Bonds (though I don't dislike him, by a long shot), but I have noticed some rather low blows about 'Italian taste' in particular; such things as liking sequined suits or even quoting Italian box office figures. While Ale may have spoken for friends, family or business aquantancies, she's not spoken for the whole of the Italian Republic, or for the 50% of it who are female. That's been clear to me, anyway. I don't share views with Ale on a good few things, which in the past we've debated in good heart, but there have been some rather childish comments to her replies that have surprised me.
    unitedkingdom.png
    Hilarious.

Indeed.
    I see both sides of this debate:

If I call QOS "adult," does that mean I'm calling someone who likes Moore or Brosnan childish?

If Alle says she likes Brosnan's more stylish Bond, does that mean she's calling those who like Craig (in all his neanderthal glory!) oafish louts?

When making these kinds of observations (which I think by and large they are), hard not to feel the sting of judgement if you're on the flipside of the stated preference. That's exactly what happened (IMHO) when Craig got the nod for CR: observation about preferences became judgements became attacks. And it seems to be happening again with QOS. Not sure there's a solution here, but I do see where Alle's love for Brosnan Bond in no way precludes my particular Bond love (even if she does go on and on about it ;), but I guess that's what fans do, eh?). Well, maybe that is the solution: to always stay mindful of the other fella's Bond when posting about your Bond, cuz - inevitably - toes will feel stepped on, simply by someone staing their Bond preference (again, except for the total nutjobs who like all Bonds equally, but I'm pretty sure we chased all those freaks off the board :v :)) ).
  • the headlightthe headlight Posts: 26MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    And don't forget that MANY, MANY people do like QoS - the box-office cannot be wrong ;)

MANY, MANY people do get drawn in by flashy advertising and trailers. Just because a film makes money does not make it good, just look at "I am Legend", its grossed tonnes but was awful.
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    I have to agree here. I'm not Italian, and to be bluntly honest Pierce is one of my least favourite Bonds (though I don't dislike him, by a long shot), but I have noticed some rather low blows about 'Italian taste' in particular; such things as liking sequined suits or even quoting Italian box office figures. While Ale may have spoken for friends, family or business aquantancies, she's not spoken for the whole of the Italian Republic, or for the 50% of it who are female. That's been clear to me, anyway. I don't share views with Ale on a good few things, which in the past we've debated in good heart, but there have been some rather childish comments to her replies that have surprised me.

Me too. And I am Italian! I thought that sequined suits comment was a cheap shot. Not in regards to Pierce, because he isn't what this is really about anyway, but to Alessandra, because she was who it was meant to insult.
    Sir Miles wrote:
    And don't forget that MANY, MANY people do like QoS - the box-office cannot be wrong ;)

MANY, MANY people do get drawn in by flashy advertising and trailers. Just because a film makes money does not make it good, just look at "I am Legend", its grossed tonnes but was awful.
    I thought the poster sucked? ;)

And: Alle rules! :007)
    I'm sorry for "butting in", but I just have to say that I don't think Alessandra has been "dragging down" anybody ?:) Actually, in a lot of her posts, she's defending her point of view rather than attacking anyone. For example, she spent many of her posts lately defending her statement that Brioni suits(or at least the custom-tailored examples of that brand) are, in her opinion, of a higher quality than Tom Ford's custom-tailored suits. This may or may not be true (I can't tell, since I'm in no way a fashionista), but it's her opinion, and she was just defending it. Also, she has said many times that although she doesn't like DC's looks, if others feel differently, it's great because we can't all like the same things. I honestly don't see any "dragging down" anywhere.

Alessandra is now 'defending' herself BECAUSE of her earlier negative posts/attacks...as you sow so shall you reap...we should all learn to 'play nice' and RESPECT the views of the other, sadly, that's been lacking on this thread for awhile.

I'm totally against personal attacks of any nature...whether they are against members of this site or actors or entire countries !

'Dragging down'...well...some members refuse to post on this thread anymore...

This SHOULD be the last word - here - on this subject...the topic should be left alone to REVIEW QoS only...

I'm more than happy to continue anything else via the PM system...
    YNWA 97