Quantum of Solace Quick Reviews - No Spoilers

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    Here's that classy Brosnan moment again: :D

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj2BVb0xilc
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Alessandra, what makes Brioni so much better than Tom Ford? It is a much older company, but I can't imagine Brioni has access to noticeably better fabrics than Tom. And aren't Brioni suits all off-the-rack? Excuse my ignorance, as I can afford neither.
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 984MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    Brioni has off the rack, MTM and also have tailored suits (which is obviously what Brosnan wore).

For what it's worth, I strongly prefer Brioni to Tom Ford as well. The jacket shape to Brioni's have a more timeless appeal (as opposed to Ford suits which are currently in vogue, and even Frogley herself said they wanted the cutting edge in fashion... as if this somehow characterizes Bond?). The strong fitted shoulder line, slightly longer jacket, the tapered waist, and the lapels which aren't too wide, too thin, and with just the right taper which works with either 2 or 3 buttons... Brioni is just elegant and classy.

IMO, Lindy Hemming has a far better understanding of proportion and how to find components of a wardrobe that fit, flatter and frame properly, as opposed to Frogley who just Tom Ford-ized everything, even products that weren't originally Tom Ford (e.g. buying the blue Sunspel polos, then having Tom Ford copy them). You can even compare the ending to CR with the opening to QoS... they're supposed to be wearing the same pinstripe suit and shirt, and the suit just looks like a poor knockoff and the shirt doesn't compare in anyway to a Turnbull & Asser.

This is strictly my opinion, but Brioni always looks to me like a real power suit, whereas Tom Ford looks like what celebrities wear on the red carpet to stand out and unsavory people wear who go to events and fundraisers to separate you from your money.
  • RavenstoneRavenstone EnglandPosts: 152MI6 Agent
    While I agree with Jackman getting top slot, and I find it amusing (in the light of these discussions) that Craig came a 'close second', I feel the article is let down by this -

"He is joined by Simon Cowell, race-car drive Lewis Hamilton, football star David Beckham and TV chef Gordon Ramsay."

Cowell? Hamilton hasn't even started shaving yet, and Ramsay???

*shudder* I'd rather be a nun.

Anyway - I do have a question. Given that, in a family, you retain the right to criticise your own but God help anyone from outside that criticises - would anyone here who doesn't like QOS defend it against the like of - say - a die-hard Bourne fan? (or a bourne Die Hard fan for that matter)?

I do hope that question makes sense.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    Alessandra, what makes Brioni so much better than Tom Ford? It is a much older company, but I can't imagine Brioni has access to noticeably better fabrics than Tom.

They may have access to the same fabrics but the big question is, why they are not using them then.

To my opinion, TF tends to have a good design on his products (...even they get sometimes very "inspired" by existing designs (Sunspel, and Adam Simmonds will enjoy this: Oliver Peoples!)) then uses very affordable materials, tags his own label together with a horrible price tag.

Has been like this in his Gucci Times and ever since.

A good example are the Oliver Peoples sunglasses:
    As much I dislike how Adam Simmonds has been hiding around the bush with the QoS sunglasses, but he's absolutely right that the OP sunglasses are truely galaxies superior compared to the TF ones.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    I wonder how people are rating QoB in their favourites list?

Some haven't got around to it yet (Hardyboy) while M5 has it propping up the table in last place!

Me, it's about no 16 or 17.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    ...16 on my list ;) CR is 4.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • AlessandraAlessandra Lake Garda, ItalyPosts: 633MI6 Agent
    Alessandra, what makes Brioni so much better than Tom Ford? It is a much older company, but I can't imagine Brioni has access to noticeably better fabrics than Tom. And aren't Brioni suits all off-the-rack? Excuse my ignorance, as I can afford neither.

Not ignorance at all, we can't all know everything can we? Try asking me a math question and you'll see :)) :))

The point is not having access to the same fabrics, but picking the same fabrics. And having custom-made suits that in the case of Brioni are made by Italian tailors, and in the case of Tom Ford are not. Also all of the Brioni suits are hand-made (I could list where you see this and what details in particular to focus on, from buttons on), whether custom-made or not. Can't say the same about Tom Ford suits. Tom Ford picks totally different fabrics from Brioni. Tom Ford in general doesn't use Loro Piana Tasmanian (type of fabric) to make suits. You'll find that (or the Brioni equivalent) a lot in Brioni suits. Loro Piana, Ermenegildo Zegna, Guabello are the best fabrics to make suits. All from the region of Biella, Piedmont (which is were I was born).

I'll stop here, both my father and my mother spent their working life in the textile business so I'm very much into it and know my stuff. I would never buy anything from Dolce & Gabbana or Tom Ford because I know what they use to make clothes and how they work with it. :)) :))

Brioni suits are, as Bondtoys was saying, timeless pieces. Like buying Chanel or Hermes or Valentino for a woman. Tom Ford suits are not... just like Dolce & Gabbana are not, just like Cavalli is not. These are just fashion of the moment brands for celebrities. Design is "different" but the overall quality isn't comparable to that of a great brand suit. I'll give you that Tom Ford is surely better than Cavalli, but he will never be at the same level as Valentino, Armani or least of all (as far as men suits are concerned) Brioni or Loro Piana. And that's just and fashion brands I'm talking about, not how they fit on Craig.

That said, I suspect Brioni still did something for Bond this round, since their "under construction" website has the James Bond logo, and it doesn't look like Pierce's logo to me :)) :)) Or maybe they're just banking on the past, not sure. It does look like the new graphic to me, but I may be mistaken, I've only seen the QoS graphic once :))
    "Are we on coms?" (if you don't know where this is from... you've missed some really good stuff! :D)
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Thanks for that answer, Alessandra, I appreciate it.

I have to say, though, that I've never been one to like Armani or Valentino suits. Give me Paul Smith or Martin Margiela anyday. Again, though, I think my preference has always been cut over details that I really don't understand (I can hope the suits I buy aren't fused, but honestly I wouldn't be able to tell the difference until they fall apart).
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    I wonder how people are rating QoB in their favourites list?

Some haven't got around to it yet (Hardyboy) while M5 has it propping up the table in last place!

Me, it's about no 16 or 17.

20 on my list...
  • 3_Blind_Mice3_Blind_Mice Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    I saw QoS on the 15th of this month (commitments and a desire to sleep prevented me from attending a midnight showing on the 14th).

Based on the reviews (here and elsewhere) I went in with modest to low expectations. Of the several knocks against the film that critics pointed to, the one that worried me most was the film's cinematography and editing--specifically the "music video" like sequencing and the "shaky camera work". Thankfully, it turned out that these aspects didn't loom large in the film.

Initially I was quite impressed with the production as a whole. I found it to be quite tight in terms of pacing and well put together plot wise. Now that I've had a little time to digest it, I feel that my first impression was sound. This is a very good reboot Bond film, and while probably not as iconic as CR, I found it in some ways to be an improvement over that film with respect to plotting and editing (I can hear the howls of protest already :D).

Aaron
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 984MI6 Agent
    #15 on my list as well.

I think slate.com had the best review of QoS.

Especially with this line:

"The novelty of Craig's decidedly unsuave take on the British superspy has worn off, though we're still eager to see where he'll take the character. And now that the audience has adjusted to the notion of Bond as a tormented brute, we're starting to remember what drew us to this series in the first place: exotic locations, nifty surveillance technology, creative villains, and babes with ridiculous names. In short, we're drawn by fantasy, pleasure, and fun, none of which figures on the to-do list of the new James Bond nor of the movie's director, Marc Forster."

http://www.slate.com/id/2204586/
    edited November 2008
    urhash wrote:
    #15 on my list as well.

I think slate.com had the best review of QoS.

Especially with this line:

"The novelty of Craig's decidedly unsuave take on the British superspy has worn off, though we're still eager to see where he'll take the character. And now that the audience has adjusted to the notion of Bond as a tormented brute, we're starting to remember what drew us to this series in the first place: exotic locations, nifty surveillance technology, creative villains, and babes with ridiculous names. In short, we're drawn by fantasy, pleasure, and fun, none of which figures on the to-do list of the new James Bond nor of the movie's director, Marc Forster."

http://www.slate.com/id/2204586/

Wow. That does sum up my feelings pretty well :))

Nightshooter I was talking about Armani and Valentino for women in particular, and I completely understand what you are saying. If something doesn't suit you, it just doesn't. Doesn't matter if it's top brand really. So of course if you like Paul Smith on yourself, you do well picking that.

My comparison was merely on quality and the differences between brands. Also depending on your body type some brands will fit you better than others, because of the different cuts. Needless to say, a custom-made suit is always the best option. And with that, I'd always go for Brioni or Loro Piana or Armani or Valentino for a matter of quality. I like Ralph Lauren custom-made as well. Really depends on your body type not to mention taste. But once a suit is custom-made, it is guaranteed to fit you like a glove :D. Of course, the price will also fit the comfort :)) :))

Oh and needless to say, the most luxurious and best option is to have YOUR OWN tailor making the suit for you and making you pick the fabric. (from a quality collection of course) :D Something that still happens in this country. Especially in Naples, where everyone keeps it super secret who their tailor is! :D
    "Are we on coms?" (if you don't know where this is from... you've missed some really good stuff! :D)
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    When I think of the costuming in CR v. QOS:

CR's costumes went for a nostalgic, classic line (as was correct re the direction and tone of the film). QOS's costumes followed a more dynamic vein, as befitting that film. Both work well in context IMO.
    blueman wrote:
    When I think of the costuming in CR v. QOS:

CR's costumes went for a nostalgic, classic line (as was correct re the direction and tone of the film). QOS's costumes followed a more dynamic vein, as befitting that film. Both work well in context IMO.

This is true blueman, I agree with you. I am not a fan of this direction but I do agree that the costumes fit the "needs" for the film atmosphere. In fact, even for QoS, I said despite deeming most of it atrocious, the costumes weren't part of that (On the Bond girl ones, I would have a FEW remarks though :)) That creased Burberry trench was horrendous, not nearly classy enough for a Bond girl, she looked like a maniac :)))
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,608Chief of Staff
    Alessandra wrote:
    Pierce is always being criticised, and has been throughout his tenure so it's not really anything new to see that, and it's fine, we can't all like the same things.... :D

Really ? I thought Pierce generally got pretty good reviews for his Bond films...wasn't he touted as the man who saved the Bond franchise ? I seem to recall he only got some poor press after DAD and then after CR came out...to which DC was touted as the man who saved the Bond franchise !
    Alessandra wrote:
    And what darenhat just reported is exactly the type of thing I was talking about. Just like my brother, went to see it (and while he didn't deem it sensational, he quite liked CR) and came out disappointed. That's all I mean.

Most people from my work have seen QoS now...and I've not heard one bad comment about it...quite a few have seen it twice..in fact the ONLY negative thing said has been that it isn't up to the standard CR set...but a few place QoS as their favourite Bond film of all time...

..but as you say "we can't all like the same things"...so why continually drag down the people that do like it..?..
    YNWA 97
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

By which you mean that DC is not stylish. Which is absolute bunkum ! Pierce was told to wear Brioni, Daniel insisted on Tom Ford clothes. Seems pretty stylish to me, either way.

Hello Sir Miles,

I think, being stylish has not so much to do with your preferred suit brand.

It is more the combination of looks, personality and the right clothing.

As an example: You may put Ron Wood in a TF suit, he'll still not look elegant.

Same here with Craig in my opinion:

He looks good in wearing casual and I like how he looks in a tux, but I think, he's looking terrible with a suit.

And to my opinion, Tom Ford is very much overrated compared to the traditional high-end suit makers in terms of quality.

P.S. I know, very off-topic, but I did not start it ;%

Hi Markus...

...well..each to their own..I think DC looks far, far better in a suit than Pierce could ever dream of...DC has the perfect 'shape' for wearing a suit in QoS..he's not as 'bulky' as he was in CR...and the cut of his suits are much better for it - check out his shoulder line for example...

...with suits...again...each to their own...what DOES make one brand better than another..?..usually personal preference plays a big part...

..and I've seen Ron Wood in a suit...he looked pretty good to me...although he's really not my type :))

Hey...I like talking clothes too...I actually prefer Italian-styled clothes...but please don't tell Alessandra that ;)
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Alessandra wrote:
    Pierce is always being criticised, and has been throughout his tenure so it's not really anything new to see that, and it's fine, we can't all like the same things.... :D

Really ? I thought Pierce generally got pretty good reviews for his Bond films...wasn't he touted as the man who saved the Bond franchise ? I seem to recall he only got some poor press after DAD and then after CR came out...to which DC was touted as the man who saved the Bond franchise !
    Alessandra wrote:
    And what darenhat just reported is exactly the type of thing I was talking about. Just like my brother, went to see it (and while he didn't deem it sensational, he quite liked CR) and came out disappointed. That's all I mean.

Most people from my work have seen QoS now...and I've not heard one bad comment about it...quite a few have seen it twice..in fact the ONLY negative thing said has been that it isn't up to the standard CR set...but a few place QoS as their favourite Bond film of all time...

..but as you say "we can't all like the same things"...so why continually drag down the people that do like it..?..

Why drag down, I haven't dragged anyone down. All I said about those who liked the movie is that it's good for them since at least someone comes out of the theater satisfied!!! Then if you're talking about the discussion on here, that is not about "those who liked it" in general, but about a certain attitude SOME have had, not all of those who liked it, and I think that was discussed at the beginning of this thread? To which I would say that the dragging down as in saying liking Pierce is tacky, disliking QoS implies you like stupid one liners and only miss Moneypenny and Q, disliking QoS means being less of a true Fleming fan etc. didn't come from those who disliked the movie, but from some of those who liked it (not all, just some). And that's where the neverending discussion started.

:)) so you DO like Italian suits? :)) And what I was talking about actually with fashion brands wasn't about personal preference, but about quality standards, that just are not the same for Tom Ford and Brioni. I can refer you to my father who will explain to you what kind of yarn and fabric one bought and uses as opposed to the other. The difference is striking.

Plus as I was saying above, the most luxurious and best suits are of course those that are custom made by a personal tailor, not by a famous brand. That is the real luxury, a good tailor that makes you pick from quality fabrics and sews your suit (all handmade). Sure costs a lot, but that's the price of luxury. Nothing to do with brand, all to do with actual quality and detail. :D

The most luxurious ties are Marinella ties. They are all custom-made. These people have no shops, you've got to order the tie to have it done. They've got showrooms where you can order. Stuff for the very, very accomplished gentleman. JFK had Marinella ties, Jackie came to Naples when she went on vacation on the Amalfi coast to order the ties. And of course those ties are from Naples, where the best tailors are... :D

LOL sorry the fashion talk has gotten too long, I DO get carried away with this... :D
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,368Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:
    ...in fact the ONLY negative thing said has been that it isn't up to the standard CR set...

What, EVERYBODY at your work liked that song??!! :o
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Alessandra wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Alessandra wrote:

Alessandra wrote:

Why drag down, I haven't dragged anyone down. All I said about those who liked the movie is that it's good for them since at least someone comes out of the theater satisfied!!! Then if you're talking about the discussion on here, that is not about "those who liked it" in general, but about a certain attitude SOME have had, not all of those who liked it, and I think that was discussed at the beginning of this thread? To which I would say that the dragging down as in saying liking Pierce is tacky, disliking QoS implies you like stupid one liners and only miss Moneypenny and Q, disliking QoS means being less of a true Fleming fan etc. didn't come from those who disliked the movie, but from some of those who liked it (not all, just some). And that's where the neverending discussion started.

:)) so you DO like Italian suits? :)) And what I was talking about actually with fashion brands wasn't about personal preference, but about quality standards, that just are not the same for Tom Ford and Brioni. I can refer you to my father who will explain to you what kind of yarn and fabric one bought and uses as opposed to the other. The difference is striking.

Plus as I was saying above, the most luxurious and best suits are of course those that are custom made by a personal tailor, not by a famous brand. That is the real luxury, a good tailor that makes you pick from quality fabrics and sews your suit (all handmade). Sure costs a lot, but that's the price of luxury. Nothing to do with brand, all to do with actual quality and detail. :D

The most luxurious ties are Marinella ties. They are all custom-made. These people have no shops, you've got to order the tie to have it done. They've got showrooms where you can order. Stuff for the very, very accomplished gentleman. JFK had Marinella ties, Jackie came to Naples when she went on vacation on the Amalfi coast to order the ties. And of course those ties are from Naples, where the best tailors are... :D

LOL sorry the fashion talk has gotten too long, I DO get carried away with this... :D

:s

What the Hell. I havn't visited this thread for a couple of days, but it seems seriously OT and bizaare :s
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Alessandra wrote:
    Who said such things??? I think those who favor QOS have been pretty darn clear about those who prefer a different Bond, ie that different IS, in fact, okay - even profitable, Brosnan's flicks made huge bank! May not be my Bond, but obviously worked just fine for more than a couple people, yes?

Mt reaction has always been (snarky moments aside), why can't those who like a different Bond than Brosnan's be allowed to like their Bond? (rhetorical, I know the answer to this, from Brosnan Bond fans themselves: Brosnan = love) Seems both sides of this debate, from their POV, feel they have stepped-on toes. A fan saying, QOS is brilliant, isn't an attack on Brosnan Bond, although some do - still, seemingly - take it that way (and then there's those really weird Bond fans who like ALL Bond/Bond films, but that's a whole 'nuther kettle of wacky fish).

Somehow or other, Moore and Connery fans figured out a way to co-exist back in the day, I have faith Brosnan and Craig fans can too. We're in the middle of that process (and films like QOS aren't helping any, lol). Give it time.
    Barbel wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    ...in fact the ONLY negative thing said has been that it isn't up to the standard CR set...

Well..they didn't NOT like it..
    YNWA 97
    edited November 2008
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Well..they didn't NOT like it..

How dare they! And what cheese is their favourite ?:) You can always judge a man by the cheese they eat.
    edited November 2008
    Gouda Carrera, perhaps? ;%
    Alessandra wrote:
    Why drag down, I haven't dragged anyone down. All I said about those who liked the movie is that it's good for them since at least someone comes out of the theater satisfied!!!

If not 'drag down' then a continual bashing of the film...to the point where some people refuse to post on this thread anymore. And that's a bit sad...it doesn't appear to be a dicussion anymore...more of a tirade...
    Alessandra wrote:

No...not Italian suits as such...but Italian-style clothes...
    ...and I know all about the different kinds of yarn and fabric...I worked for a company that used to make cloth and a company that used to dye cloth...

I like talking fashion too...just wish I could afford more of the high-end stuff..:(
    YNWA 97
    Seen QOS three times now, it's growing on me. I like Brie, but I am partial to Baby Bel too, although don't abuse me for that ;%
    Asp9mm wrote:
    I like Brie, but I am partial to Baby Bel too, although don't abuse me for that ;%

:)) Me too. (The Carrera joke was referring to another thread entirely)
    Barbel wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    I like Brie, but I am partial to Baby Bel too, although don't abuse me for that ;%

:)) Me too. (The Carrera joke was referring to another thread entirely)

:)) , I never had you down for a CheeseString person, a man o taste {[]
  • 3_Blind_Mice3_Blind_Mice Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Seen QOS three times now, it's growing on me. I like Brie, but I am partial to Baby Bel too, although don't abuse me for that ;%

I'm going to be adding QoS to my collection when the DVD comes out. Anyone want a barely watched VCR tape of YOLT in trade?

Hard not to abuse you for Baby Bel. Try Chaum!
    Hard not to abuse you for Baby Bel. Try Chaum!

Abuse away, there are worse cheeses out there, at least it's 100% cheese, unlike that stuff that's..er.. not. Although I did like Wotsits as a kid, and they contained no cheese. I wonder what cheese QOS's James Bond would eat :)