QOS is #1 in America!

Comments

• heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:
    Ebert's review? (found this comment on it by another Bond fan, thought I'd share :v ):

"One review i found laughably was Roger Ebert's review (which he gave Quantum 2/4). He complained for a whole paragraph about the fact that the name "Camille" wasn't a double entendres!"

Okay, that one comment tickled me so I had to go read the review - and here's that paragraph from Ebert!

"The chase has no connection to the rest of plot, which is routine for Bond, but it's about the movie's last bow to tradition. In "Quantum of Solace" he will share no cozy quality time with the Bond girl (Olga Kurylenko). We fondly remember the immortal names of Pussy Galore, Xenia Onatopp and Plenty O'Toole, who I have always suspected was a drag queen. In this film, who do we get? Are you ready for this? Camille. That's it. Camille. Not even Camille Squeal. Or Cammy Miami. Or Miss O'Toole's friend Cam Shaft."

Yeah, all his Bond priorities are right. :s 8-)

His review of QoS was shocking, not the fact that he didnt like it but how he wrote his review. I thought it was written by a 12 year old not a pulitzer winner usual genius.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    BOM has posted its weekend guesstimates. It shows that QoS is still hanging around at number five (Australia, which QoS beat last week, has moved above it), with a take of about $6.6 million. All told, QoS has made $151 m in America, making it the tenth highest-grossing film of the year; and has made $492 m worldwide.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Hit $500 million today...number of screens dropping, but still ahead of where CR was at this time in its run, which is a good sign...

Should about equal CR (or barely exceed it?) when it's all said and done...very respectable.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Good to see New Zealand contributing $1.5m :p
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    BOM's Friday estimates have QoS dropping down to #7. For a movie that's been out for a month now, that's not too shabby. The U.S. take is now estimated at $155 million; worldwide it's $512 m. And from what I undestand, QoS doesn't even open in Japan until late January!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    The Little Reviled Movie That CouldTM B-)
    The Little Reviled Movie That CouldTM B-)

Indeed. And, by the bye, BOM now lists QoS as the eighth highest-grossing film of the year in America.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited December 2008
    Still...I was able to catch CR (still in 'first run') in January. I wonder if QoS can match that...
    And now BOM has revised its guesstimate up, claiming that QoS finished the weekend at #6 in America. I'm not sure it's playing in my town any more, so the movie is finding an audience somewhere!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • ycpchiefycpchief USA (PA)Posts: 95MI6 Agent
    QOS is now at $157,668,000 having made $3,800,000 over the weekend. I wonder if it will pass CR at $167,400,000? It seems it's going to struggle to do so. If it doesn't, does that make it a box office disappointment? After all, you have to go all the way back to LTK to find a Bond movie that did not out gross it's predecessor. When you adjust for two years of inflation it's clear less people will have gone to see QOS vs. CR. With all the good feelings and the success of CR, the acceptance and now even broad enthusiasm for Craig, and a HUGE budget, you have to think EON is a bit disappointed with QOS even though they may not admit it.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Can't imagine EON thinking that, considering the worldwide BO.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    edited December 2008
    It's already recouped its production cost several times over. It's a profitable film so no, it's not a box office disappointment.

Still, it'll be hard pressed to match CR's box office and it looks like it could be the the first film since LTK to make less than its immediate predecessor. I think that may nudge EON into maybe reintroducing a few more elements of the classic formula into the mix next time around. That doesn't mean a return to hovercraft gondolas and double-taking pidgeons, BTW. Just possibly a reintroduction of one or two continuing characters and maybe a gadget or two - something to help it stand out more from the crowd next time around.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    I thought TND didn't do as well as GE...at least domestically. ?:)
    ycpchief wrote:
    QOS is now at $157,668,000 having made $3,800,000 over the weekend. I wonder if it will pass CR at $167,400,000? It seems it's going to struggle to do so.

I don't know...ten million more dollars doesn't seem insurmountable at this point. Nice to see it within striking distance...
  • Mister BiswasMister Biswas TokyoPosts: 78MI6 Agent
    The film opens in Japan on January 24, 2009.
    So, hopefully the returns from here will be good.

Thats a pretty long wait for you guys, has it traditionally been like that?

"Better make that two."
    darenhat wrote:

TLD= $50.3 million
    LTK= $34.7 million
    GE= $106.4 million
    TND= $125.3 million
    TWINE= $126.9 million
    DAD= $160.0 million
    CR= $167.4 million
    QOS=$157.7 million(so far)

Clearly QOS is a success and EON should be happy, but I can't help but feel they will be a bit let down if it does not surpass CR. That may not be a bad thing though as some of you have already pointed out that it may influence EON to bring back a few more traditional elements. I like QOS a lot, but I want the next one to go in a different direction.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    ycpchief wrote:
    darenhat wrote:

TLD= $50.3 million
    LTK= $34.7 million
    GE= $106.4 million
    TND= $125.3 million
    TWINE= $126.9 million
    DAD= $160.0 million
    CR= $167.4 million
    QOS=$157.7 million(so far)

Clearly QOS is a success and EON should be happy, but I can't help but feel they will be a bit let down if it does not surpass CR. That may not be a bad thing though as some of you have already pointed out that it may influence EON to bring back a few more traditional elements. I like QOS a lot, but I want the next one to go in a different direction.

Thanks!
  • Mister BiswasMister Biswas TokyoPosts: 78MI6 Agent

Thats a pretty long wait for you guys, has it traditionally been like that?

It depends on the movie. Spiderman 3 and Matrix 3 opened the same time here as they did in the USA. Other films, like the Star Wars prequels, opened here roughly 2 months after opening in the USA.
    Another example: Wall-E is just NOW opening in the THEATERS here.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this is the weekend QoS drops to the bottom of the Top 10 or out of it altogether--today three biggies are opening: another animated flick, The Tale of Despereaux; Jim Carrey back to mugging in Yes Man; and Will Smith gettin' jiggy with his feelings in Seven Pounds. Well, whatever, QoS has had a fairly good run: it's now made just over $159 m in America, and over $526 m worldwide.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Yep yep. {[]

Still expect some decent $$$, it's the only actioner still pulling decent screen numbers... guess we'll see.
    All hail my psychic abilities! BOM estimates that QoS dropped to #10 on Friday, taking in only $565,000. Not that I'd object if that was my yearly salary. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Another day, another estimate: BOM is putting QoS's American grosses at $161.3 million, so it isn't too far behind CR now. It looks like it will end as 2008's eighth or ninth highest grossing film--depending on if Twilight overtakes it in the next ten days. Worldwide: over $528 mil.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    It's pretty clear now QOS will not surpass CR at the US box office. This will be the first Bond in nearly twenty years not to suprass it's predecessor. It doesn't look likely that it will do better internationally either. Any thoughts about what happened? How could Bourne Ultimatum make more than 20% more than QOS in the US? Who's going to see that and not go and see Bond? I'm at a loss as to why this film did not do better.
    Well, it's yet to open in Japan, and they'll sell a few tickets there. After that initial two week-long run of mixed critical reviews and strident (if not vitriolic) pans from many in the fan community, I predicted that QoS might not surpass CR, but would at least be in the 'same neighborhood,' in terms of box office, and I think it will be. Of course it cost more to make, so profits won't be as huge.

Many forget that CR's nearly universal critical and fan acclaim is unprecedented in the Modern Bond Era---even Brozzer, a very popular and successful Bond, received the occasional negative note in GE, mostly for turning in what was then called by some a "small screen" (read: TV) performance. I didn't agree at the time, and I still don't, but there we are.

I'll refrain from any postmortems until the patient has expired...but hopefully, next time Eon will take note of many fans' stated desire for a more widely accessible narrative pace, and a bit more of the Bond character---even if it means running the film all the way to two hours ;)
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Obviously QOS is a boxoffice success in the US and certainly internationally. I do think that mixed reviews and a good amount of poor reviews have had some effect on keeping it behind CR. The reviews tend to keep away some of the non-Bond fans who may have been compelled to see CR by the universally good reviews. I also believe that CR may have appealed a bit more to female moviegoers because of its' strong romantic subplot. QOS on the other hand has no romantic subplot and is pretty much a revenge thriller. No bad news here however. Two smash hits; James Bond will be back; DC will be back and maybe a couple of favorites from the past will be back in Bond 23. My prediction for 23: a film more closer in tone and style to CR, at least a 2 hr running time, Bond will bed at least three different women (a villain, a recreational pursuit unrelated to the plot, and the leading lady) and the introduction of the new "Q". Sorry I went a little off topic but I got a little inspired.
    Well here's one fan who hopes EON sticks with whatever plan of attack that landed us The Best Bond Film Since OHMSS TM. {:)

As for female reaction to QOS, there's quite a vocal bunch of gals over at CBn, both pro and con... much like the reaction CR received from the fairer gender.

As I read the BO, QOS is pulling slightly more admissions than CR, if lower (due to recession) dollar amounts. One savvy number-cruncher pointed out that if QOS had done the exact same biz last July before the recession hit, it'd be way ahead of CR - and that's not counting probable added biz from folks having more expendable dough in their pockets. Factor out the recession and QOS has exceded CR already and it's still in theatres. :007)
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:

As I read the BO, QOS is pulling slightly more admissions than CR, if lower (due to recession) dollar amounts. One savvy number-cruncher pointed out that if QOS had done the exact same biz last July before the recession hit, it'd be way ahead of CR - and that's not counting probable added biz from folks having more expendable dough in their pockets. Factor out the recession and QOS has exceded CR already and it's still in theatres. :007)

QoS is selling more tickets, but making less money because of the recession. Sorry, but that makes no sense. Ticket prices increase, on average, 5% a year, thus ticket prices are approximately 10% higher now then they were when CR was released. Therefore, if more people were attending QoS then CR, QoS would be making more money. In addition, if QoS did the exact same biz in July as it is doing now it would be making the exact same amount of money. Unless, somewhere they are having a 40% off sale I am not aware of.
    blueman wrote:

What??? ?:) What "savvy number-cruncher" are you talking about? Inflation over the last two years has caused ticket prices to rise. Thus QOS would have to out-gross CR by 6-8% just to have pulled in the same amount of admissions. Also, US total box office for 2008 is actually up 1.4% over 2007. The recession has had no effect on admissions. In fact, you could even argue more people are going to the movies as a cheaper alternative to other entertainment.

I'm glad you liked QOS, so did I. But you can't just make stuff up to try to make it appear more successful than it is.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,333Chief of Staff
    ycpchief wrote:
    It's pretty clear now QOS will not surpass CR at the US box office. This will be the first Bond in nearly twenty years not to suprass it's predecessor. It doesn't look likely that it will do better internationally either. Any thoughts about what happened?

As I've said before, CR had two big advantages over QoS- better word-of-mouth plus the "new Bond" curiousity factor.

And, quoting what I said back in September-
    Barbel wrote:
    Gazing into my crystal ball, here's a prediction or two: QoS will make a lot of money, though perhaps not quite as much as CR. The next film (The Property Of A Lady?) will perform about the same or less. Depending on exactly how much less, either one more film with the existing set-up will be made or not. There will then be changes- Craig will be replaced by (picking my words carefully here to avoid side debates) a more traditional-looking Bond actor; those of the PCF elements that haven't crept back by that point (Q, Moneypenny, Bond... James Bond, etc) will return with a vengeance. A massive publicity push will ensure that film a big launch, and another 007 cycle will begin.