Tributes Thread

Comments

• Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

Saddened to hear about Denny Laine, RIP.

Wow Silhouette Man, meeting McCullough that is impressive - I absolutely adore that solo on My Love.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

Benjamin Zephaniah, writer and poet has died aged 65, RIP.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    edited December 2023

It was nice to meet him, however briefly. I can't remember if I introduced myself (probably not) but I knew him immediately. He grew up and lived not too far from me and the bookshop owner was a good friend of his. He's the only Bond alumni I've ever met in person. I have corresponded with the likes of John Gardner and Raymond Benson but never met them sadly. It is indeed a great guitar solo and Henry McCullough features in the official music video too:

Paul McCartney & Wings - My Love (Official Music Video) - YouTube

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Thanks Silhouette Man, he was a great one to meet for sure!

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent

Yes, he certainly was. Quite the legend! 🙂

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Ryan O’Neil star of Love Story and Barry Lyndon has died aged 82, RIP

Shirley Anne Field of Alfie, The Entertainer and My Beautiful Launderette amongst others has passed away aged 87, RIP

Tom Wilkinson who starred in The Full Monty, The Patriot and Michael Clayton amongst others has sadly died aged 75, RIP

• HarryCanyonHarryCanyon Posts: 198MI6 Agent

Really sad about Tom Wilkinson passing. He was one of those great, dependable, amazing actors who was frequently the best part of any film that he was in. Him being in a film was usually a really good 'stamp of quality' for me.

• Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent

Tom Wilkinson — Nooooooo!!!!

One of my all-time favorite actors. He, Don Cheadle and Viola Davis are, for me, the only actors who steal every single film they are in.

Watch “In The Bedroom”. Watch “Shakespeare In Love”. Watch “Duplicity”. Most of all, watch “Michael Clayton”. You literally cannot take your eyes off the man.

More than the huge stars, it’s people like him who make films a wonderful experience.

RIP.

Hilly...you old devil!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent

Usually BBC News 24 will show the highlights of the year in its annual review around this time, including those we have lost, so to speak.

It isn't showing it at all as far as I can see, but this wonderfully arranged package is on BBC iPlayer:

It's a bit arbitrary but mostly none the worse for that. Quite a few passed on this year, I thought we'd got off lightly but no.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,323Chief of Staff

I won't be watching, these things can be depressing.

Glynis Johns has died, aged 100 - not a bad age at all!

Famous for Mrs Banks in Mary Poppins, not shown over Christmas. Her other work has popped up on Talking Pictures TV of late.

When you reflect, it's amazing that until now we had Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke and her all still alive - though I think the young boy died in tragic circumstances as a young man, didn't he?

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HarryCanyonHarryCanyon Posts: 198MI6 Agent

Saw that. Glynis will forever by Kevin Spacey's mother from THE REF for me.

Very, very funny movie.

David Soul has died aged 80, RIP.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    edited January 6

Mike Sadler, the last survivor of both the WWII Long Range Desert Group and the L Detatchment of the SAS, died aged 103. After the war he had a career in the MI6. RIP

Franz Beckenbauer has died aged 78, RIP.

Composer of The Avengers theme, amongst many others, Laurie Johnson, has died aged 96 RIP.

Just heard the sad news that Carl Weathers, AKA Apollo Creed has died aged 76, RIP.

Ian Lavender best known as Private Pike (“Don’t tell him Pike!”) in Dad’s Army has died aged 77, RIP.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent

Some real legends of the screen leaving us..😪

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Also just learned that actor Michael Jayston has died aged 88, RIP.

Sad to hear of the death of the second radio James Bond, Michael Jayston (YOLT, BBC Radio 4, 1990). He was also great in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Tales of the Unexpected and in many other roles:

Michael Jayston: Dr Who and Only Fools and Horses star dies aged 88 | Evening Standard

Also sad to hear of the death of the composer Steve Brown, aged 66, better known as the bandleader Glenn Ponder in Knowing Me, Knowing You with Alan Partridge (1994):

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13045955/steve-brown-dead-steve-coogan-lenny-henry.html

Sad to hear that Alec Mills has passed away, RIP.

Radio DJ Steve Wright has passed away aged 69, a fixture on Radio 1 when I was growing up, latterly on Radio 2, RIP.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent

So sad. Such a distinctive voice and absolutely brilliant DJ. RIP, Steve.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Yes, that is sad. He and his posse were a great deal of fun - I remember the guy who used to imitate David Bowie and Mick Jagger. 'Can you tell me what the time is?!' Wright had a very amiable, friendly voice.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Sad to hear of the death of the Bond film cinematographer Alec Mills, aged 91. Another behind the scenes Bond film legend gone. 😢

Was that Phil Cornwell, who later went on to do Stella Street? I seem to recall he worked with Steve Wright.