Tributes Thread

Comments

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 7,046MI6 Agent

Sad to read of the death of Roger Corman aged 98. The king of pulp horrors in the 50’s and 60’s and beyond, will be sadly missed, thanks for all the joy you have brought into the lives of millions of cinema lovers.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,903Chief of Staff

I was just watching LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS--the musical based on his original weird film--and, TBH, I thought he was long gone. RIP to a true original, who--let's not forget--gave a few of today's best directors their first shots.

Vox clamantis in deserto
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,553MI6 Agent

Oh, that's a shame RIP Roger Corman

• GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,332MI6 Agent

first victim in Jaws : Susan Blacklinie

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,450MI6 Agent

Shirley Conran, author of 1980s bonkbuster Lace, got missed out here. Decent tribute in the Times on Saturday.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Just heard that Dabney Coleman, a great comic villain (and an all-around fine actor), has died at the age of 92. RIP.

Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,835MI6 Agent

Aww, that's sad news. He was great in Columbo where he appeared twice.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,347MI6 Agent

Saddened to hear about Dabney Coleman, loved him in Tootsie, RIP.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

Not much on the news about Richard Sherman, the man who with his brother - who died in 2012 - was behind so many classic Disney songs, such as Mary Poppins, The Jungle Book and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Must admit I thought he'd died years ago so mixed feelings about his death in his 90s given that at least he had a fine innings - then again Glynis Johns made it to 100 and died only a few months ago and Dick Van Dyke is still going strong - so is the younger Julie Andrews, of course.

https://news.sky.com/story/richard-m-sherman-songwriter-behind-disney-films-including-mary-poppins-and-chitty-chitty-bang-bang-has-died-13143215

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,835MI6 Agent

80 years on from D-Day I want to pay tribute and give thanks to all those Allied forces who gave their lives on the beaches of Normandy. They died that we might live in a free world not beholden to Nazi and fascist tyranny. I also want to remember all those who were injured or maimed. We owe them a huge debt of gratitude for what they did on that day in what remains the largest amphibious invasion in history. May they and their sacrifices never be forgotten.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Agreed

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 22,232MI6 Agent

Agreed

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,332MI6 Agent

The tributes and services were so well handled and the weather even behaved. Truly humbling and emotional to watch all the coverage and hear the stories from so many brave men and women still with us and of those that didn't return. Thank you🙏

"Any of the opposition around..?"

So sad to hear Dr Michael Mosley has passed. Such a lovely man. Loved his programmes and learnt a lot from them. Another of life's good guys taken too soon.

edited June 10

Sad to hear of Dr Mosley's tragic death. I was hoping he'd be found safe and well but the longer time went on the less that seemed likely, sadly.

Francoise Hardy, French singer, died aged 80, lovely voice.

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,706MI6 Agent

Legendary Baseball player Willie Mays has passed. 93 years old. Today, baseball has lost another legend.

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 37,662Chief of Staff

RIP Donald Sutherland, at 88. We were just talking about him earlier today in the Harry Palmer thread.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 22,232MI6 Agent
    edited June 20

RIP. Sutherland has been in so many great movies (and at least one really bad one , Revolution 1776, that was largely financed by Norwegian dentists ....) and I thank him for it.

• HarryCanyonHarryCanyon Posts: 328MI6 Agent
    edited June 20

RIP indeed to the great Donald Sutherland, an actor who seemed to excel in any genre and always seemed to have a fun twinkle in his eye. I recently enjoyed his work in EYE OF THE NEEDLE.

Whenever I talk about Sutherland, I always feel the need to promote the film CITIZEN X from 1995. It was a made for HBO film also starring Stephen Rea. It's about the hunt for a serial killer in Russia and, had it been released theatrically, would have earned several award nominations. Sutherland, in particular, is fantastic and would have earned a best supporting actor nomination and probable win.

edited to add: He did win an Emmy and a Golden Globe for CITIZEN X.

edited June 20

I'd like to see Citizen X. Only a week or so ago I enjoyed his role as Mr Bennett in Pride and Prejudice, it is a distinct yet imaginative take on the role, more absent minded than sage, smart-aleck wit. It's the principal moving part of the film imo.

Though I know him of course I couldn't immediately reel off a list of titles - this is where TV oft came into its own, as you would have a 'Donald Sutherland Season' of his classics, they don't do that for actors any more. I think I caught him in an early episode of Steptoe and Son or something, later he did The Avengers, though not being conventionally good looking then, he tended to play sinister characters, heavies. Of course, he's done Kulte, MASH, The Dirty Dozen, Don't Look Now, The Eagle Has Landed, Kelly's Heroes, Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, a small role in JFK also I think but though I've known him forever I'm not sure which of those films really landed with me as a kid or teenager.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 4,070MI6 Agent
    edited June 21

thats right he was the original Hawkeye Pierce, a bit edgier than the better known Alan Alda version

here he is plotting a prison break with Simon Templar.

he acted alongside Connery too, in The Great Train Robbery, but Ive never seen that one. they do look like a devious duo

in fact he was a bit devious and edgy in everything I've seen him in

here he is in a cameo as the english teacher in Animal House. I couldn't find a good image online, but he's chomping on an apple as he explains Satan is the most interesting character in Paradise Lost. not devious enough that time, he turned down an offer of 2% of the profits for the lowbudget comedy. He coulda made millions just on his few minutes in that one film alone

his son Kiefer grew up to be a pretty good spy

• HarryCanyonHarryCanyon Posts: 328MI6 Agent

THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY is...well, 'great'. Really good fun. Both Connery and Sutherland are excellent in it. It's very much worth seeking out for a fun evening of movie viewing pleasure.

Sad to hear of the death of Donald Sutherland. Yes, he provided the voice of the "Brain" in Billion Dollar Brain.

A true loss. Such a wonderfully gifted actor and one of my all time favourites. Loved his performances in The Eagle Has Landed and Eye Of The Needle, in particular. RIP🙏

Some nice tributes there, guys, to the underrated actor Donald Sutherland. Should have got an Oscar nomintaion for KLUTE. Always watchable. RIP.

Interesting that I only recently added THE DAY OF THE LOCUST (1975) to my DVD/Blu Ray collection. Sutherland plays a nebbishy character named... Homer Simpson. Just another one of his fine, offbeat performances. RIP.

Vox clamantis in deserto

Sir Ringo Starr, drummer with the legendary Beatles, turned 84 today.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 27,570Chief of Staff

Happy 84th Sir Ringo, the greatest tambourine player on Love Me Do 👏🏻🤣

YNWA 97
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 4,070MI6 Agent

RIP Shelley Duvall 1949-2024

starred in The Shining and several Robert Altman films

I liked her in Popeye, thought she was born to play Olive Oyl

anybody seen her various childrens TV shows? I never did, but from what I'm reading they were good, she got lots of hip stars to appear in them