Tributes Thread

Comments

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    RIP Burt Reynolds.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Sad to hear, RIP Burt Reynolds.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    RIP Bandit -{ you gave me many a laugh throughout the years {[]
  • IanFryerIanFryer Posts: 327MI6 Agent
    RIP Liz Fraser, a hugely talented and stunningly attractive star of the early Carry On films.
    RIP Liz Fraser, only recently watched the three part documentary
    On the Carry On films.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Rip Burt , let's hope God has a silver Trans Am waiting for you
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    RIP Bill Daily of The Bob Newhart Show and I Dream of Jeannie.
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    edited September 2018
    (He died 4 yrs ago , too fast on the trigger with that one , sorry guys......)
  • IanFryerIanFryer Posts: 327MI6 Agent
    Riz Ortolani (composer the notorious Cannibal Holocaust)

Oh, shame, I liked his work a lot
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Today is September the 11th or 911 , this is the day that not only New York was attacked , but the whole worlds way of life . We must never forget all the emergency personnel who died in pursuit of duty in saving others . We must forget all those who died that day . May their god look after them and keep them and those who were left behind to mourn and grieve
    image.jpg
    Here are just a few of those who died that day
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    +1
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-45537998
    So sad to learn this morning of the death of Dudley Sutton.
    A really talented actor.
    https://news.sky.com/story/tv-host-and-comedy-writer-denis-norden-dies-aged-96-11501960
    Denis Norden comedy writer and host has died. He helped write
    Many of the great comedy radio shows of the late 50s and 60s.
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    A double whammy of deaths of stars from my childhood tv! RIP to both...

I met Dudley Sutton, a lovely chap - should equally be remembered for an episode of Porridge where he took Fletcher, Godber and the Governor hostage - classic!

Re Denis Norden, a grand old age- i must confess I thought he passed long ago!
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/al-matthews-dead-aliens-actor-dies-aged-74/ar-AAAzeav?MSCC=1537806649&ocid=spartandhp
    Sad to learn about the death of Al Matthews, who among his many film roles was in TND
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/al-matthews-dead-aliens-actor-dies-aged-74/ar-AAAzeav?MSCC=1537806649&ocid=spartandhp
    Sad to learn about the death of Al Matthews, who among his many film roles was in TND

Sad news. Is that the man who instructs Bond on the HALO jump?
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    Celeste Yarnall passed away.

Eve-_Celeste.jpg
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
    edited October 2018
    Joachim Rønneberg, the leader of the 1943 Vemork sabotage mission died tonight. Rønneberg was 99 years old and the last surving member of the mission to make sure Hitler's Germany never got the heavy water to build an atom bomb.

Joachim Rønneberg was born into a family that was once the richest family in the coastal town of Ålesund. He fled to Britain in 1941 in a small motorized fishing boat. He joined Company Linge, the largest of the two Norwegian Special Operation Executive Executive units. His Brother Erling fled to Britain too - he joined the MI6/SIS, his service as a radio telegrapher in occupied was very Dangerous. Because of Joachim Rønnerberg's fairly good English he was used as an interpreter in the demolitions training course. Soon he started instructing and became so proficient at demolition he feared he would never be sent to occupied Norway on a mission. I became an unofficial representative of the Norwegian agents towards the British staff officers because of his language skills and natural leadership. For the same reasons (and because he was an exelent skiier) he was chosen to pick and lead the Vemork mission two years later. He planned the mission together with a couple of others and also picked the weapons and equipment. Some kit he bought from civilian sources and some was specially made from his instructions. The team got additional close quarter combat training in person by Eric Antony Sykes. Sykes and William E. Fairbairn developed of the eponymous Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife and modern British Close Quarters Battle (CQB) martial arts during World War II.

1*ftrAY1zVXxt6CbBHi7RApg.jpeg

I won't tell the whole story here, but the Vemork mission is considered one of the most sucessful and important sabotage mission in the entire war. Here is the wikipedia link if you wish to know more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_heavy_water_sabotage

An interview in English:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-22298739

Joachim Rønneberg was sent back to occupied Norway once more, that was in 1944. He and two other SOE agents were parachuted into the Romsdal region to prepare railway sabotage to stop German troop movements to continental Europe after the D-day landings. This was Operation Fieldfare. He helped the pilots toward the right area because of his local knowledge and flew only a couple of miles from here. In spite of his best efforts they were not dropped on the mountain platou they were intended to land, but in a narrow valley. He landed on a steep mountain side and had to quick release his parachute to avoid getting pulled off. The three agents set up a camouflaged cabin in the Tafjord mountains. While they waited for the order to start blowing up railroad bridges they never got re-suppiles because of some blunder. They stole food from nearby cabins, but still lost weight. When they were finally ordered into action one mission failed because the weather was so cold the fuses snapped in two when they tried to use them. Another bridge was blown up successfully.

In the summer of 1990 he reconstructed the Fieldfare cabin. I saw him there on a mountain path, but I was too in awe to approach him, talk to him and thank him. I have regretted this ever since.

Can you spot the Fieldfare Cabin?

Fjeldfarehytta_i_Veltdalen.JPG

Joachim Rønneberg rebuilding the cabin:

n5-800.jpg

After he war he worked in local radio and TV as a journailst. He also visited schools and other venues to talk about his experiences. His last public appearance was this fall at the opening of the Måløy Raid Museum.

At Vemork a few years ago together with a conscript special forces soldier.

9502c075f3cd5fd1d9d16eb9e993cb20.jpg

Thank you, Joachim Rønneberg.

norway-flag-waving-animated-gif-6.gif
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    Raymond Chow died :

IMO , he deliberately let Bruce Lee die cuz Lee was going to Hwood for good , Chow felt threatened by Hwood/Ponti/Shaw Bros cuz he knew he could never pay what they were offering Lee (Lee wanted at least 2 mill US post-Enter) thus it was decided to have Lee killed (Golden Harvest rumored to be triad financed)

In 1973-80 Golden Harvests future did not look so bright - no big star available , if not for Jackie Chan they mightve gone belly up

July 20 , fishy :

-why was everyone missing from Lees house that day , usually crawling with people ?

-Chow drove to Lees house around early afternoon to discuss Game , this was something Chow *never* did but on that day suddenly hes in a hurry ??

-did he stall time , waiting and waiting before calling ambulance so that Lee would be DoA at hospital ?

-convenient that Chow could use Lazenby as albi , "no Chow was with me all the time at the restaurant" (Laz prolly never said so but he couldve if asked)
    William Goldman has passed away at the age of 87.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Bond fans of a certain age will have experienced a jolt at news of the death of film critic Margaret Hinxman.

She was often quoted in many Bond film books for her approving comments of the early Connery Bonds.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Here's another one for some of us of a certain age. Newsreader Richard Baker, a bit of an icon of 1970s telly and also narrator for children's shows like Mary, Mungo and Midge.

Also presented classical music shows on the radio.

Very warm diction.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    Gymkata wrote:
    Stan Lee, 95. Imagine the comic book world without his input.
    This is a big one.
    For me the biggest pop-culture celebrity loss since Bowie died.
    Maybe bigger, because I was a comic book fan before I was a rocknroll fan, so that bond with someone I never met is deeper, more primordial. And Stan Lee left a much bigger body of work, which now dominates the movie industry and is the source of a hell of a lot of money going back and forth every year.

in 1974 he wrote Origins of Marvel Comics, what is considered the first trade paperback to collect old comics. This is now a ubiquitous format, but then it was unique and included reprints of the first appearances of his major characters, as well as lengthy text intros where he explained to us the behind-the-scenes history, and who Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko were. As a child, this added a whole new depth to reading comics, making me aware of the creative process and making me a Pop Culture history geek. My slip-cased copy of Origins and its sequel Son of Origins is still one of my most prized items in my book collection.

It is quite possible the comic book industry might never have survived at all without his input. The industry was greatly weakened in the late 1950s after the imposition of the Comics Code and the rise of television as a source of childrens' entertainment. Marvel Comics itself was on the verge of bankruptcy when he and Jack Kirby created Fantastic Four #1 (November, 1961).
    It is from that specific comic onwards that Stan (and Jack and Steve Ditko) created the new well-known intertwined Universe of Marvel characters, an evergrowing ever-expanding continuity that continues unbroken to this day.
    Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_01_Cover.jpg
    But its not the Universe that I think was his most revolutionary idea, its the way he wrote characters. Before Fantastic Four #1, comic book superheros were mostly interchangeable cardboard cutouts. Lee made them real flawed human beings who suffered from self-doubt and squabbled amongst themselves, and these characterizations generated plots and kept the storylines ever-evolving instead of repeating formulas episodically as had been standard up til this time. Peter Parker and Ben Grimm in particular were very complex characters. Seriously I think the only earlier comic book characters that had the same depth of personality were Carl Barks' Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge, definitely none of the superheros.

And his comics deliberately skewed slightly older, which in itself changed the comic book industry as we know it. As newsstand distribution started to die out in the 1970s, comic book specialty shops (like Toronto's Silver Snail) became the place we bought our comics, and it was not so much kids who shopped there as college students and older. For better or worse, comic books were not "just" for kids any more (the flip side is it's hard to find any that are for kids). But because Lee's comics were aimed at a slightly more mature audience, fifty years later comics are now taken seriously as literature.

What's amazing about all the coverage following his death is how quotable The Man is. I've read obit after obit that is made up largely of Stan's own quotes, from his Stan's Soap Box column, and his Origins of Marvel Comics series, as well as directly from the comics themselves. He had a very great way with words that has itself shaped the way we speak the English language, even for those of you have never read a ccomic book. 'Nuff said!
    fire4.jpg
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    This fan-made poster for a fictional movie about Stan Lee starring Bryan Cranston has been making the rounds on social media. . .

fake-stan-lee-movie-with-bryan-cranston.jpg

Now that would be a dream come true. Excelsior!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    One of the film greats has died: Nicolas Roeg, who directed a trio of wonderful films in the '70s--Walkabout, Don't Look Now (a particular favorite of mine), and The Man Who Fell to Earth--and who was a cinematographer of several great movies in the 1950s and '60s. He was 90.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    One of the film greats has died: Nicolas Roeg, who directed a trio of wonderful films in the '70s--Walkabout, Don't Look Now (a particular favorite of mine), and The Man Who Fell to Earth--and who was a cinematographer of several great movies in the 1950s and '60s. He was 90.

The Witches is one of my favourite films. RIP Nicolas Roeg.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Sad news. Ricky Jay as Henry Gupta is one of my favourite characters in TND. I've always wanted to get his books on magic but they are rare and very expensive these days.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Bernardo Bertolucci, the director behind The Last Emperor, The Dreamers and many more, just died. Rest in peace.
    RIP Ricky Jay, a truly talented magician. I only ever saw him on
    Television, but what he could do with a pack of cards was
    Unbelievable, apparently a sequence with him throwing
    Playing cards as weapons was cut from TND.
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent
    RIP Dr Who ....he had a damn good innings but kept getting run out as he/she got older and complacent! -{