Tributes Thread

Comments

• GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    Tor Erling Staff died

He was a very famous lawyer in Norway (prolly one of the most famous ever , besides Lippestad who was terrorist Breiviks lawyer) , he often supported bad guys/other low lifes until proof of their guilt was given thus he was a controversial character

He was also more or less pro pedo , for example he insinuated that what the "Pocketman" (famous serial pedo in Norway who cut holes in his pockets so kids could fondle him) did was not really that serious (TV host Skavlan was flabergasted by this statement btw) , in fact the same happened to Staff himself when he was 12-13 yrs old......so Staff was certainly controversial.
  • IanFryerIanFryer Posts: 327MI6 Agent
    I was watching Terence Fisher's 1956 film The Last Man to Hang the other day on Talking Pictures TV and the channel added a short tribute to one of its stars, Eunice Gayson, at the end to acknowledge her recent death. A very nice touch by a classy channel.
    https://www.cinematerial.com/artists/mac-macario-gomez-quibus-i565

Spains movie poster artist Mac died , he did Dr No and other Bond re-issues , Kellys Heroes re-issue , Leone's FAF$M , 6 Barbra films :(
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    Tor Erling Staff died

He was a very famous lawyer in Norway (prolly one of the most famous ever , besides Lippestad who was terrorist Breiviks lawyer) , he often supported bad guys/other low lifes until proof of their guilt was given thus he was a controversial character

He was also more or less pro pedo , for example he insinuated that what the "Pocketman" (famous serial pedo in Norway who cut holes in his pockets so kids could fondle him) did was not really that serious (TV host Skavlan was flabergasted by this statement btw) , in fact the same happened to Staff himself when he was 12-13 yrs old......so Staff was certainly controversial.

Never heard of this guy before but nothing you say makes me think he warrants a place in the tributes thread...
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I know it's not the done thing to speak ill of the dead but I
    Agree with Smithers500, that guy sounds awful.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Its possible Staff said it to get attention , he was weird that way :))

Staff was actually a bright guy (he would not get to the top of Norways justice system if he was a dummy) , its just that some of his opinions were , um , out there :#

But this is not just a fan thread , we can discuss flawed people here too imo
    Famed sci-fi author Harlan Ellison has also passed away recently.

On the subject of Harlan Ellison, I recently watched this interview from 1976 of he and several Star Trek cast members discussing the series. In either part four or five the famously prickly Ellison hilariously disses the entire cult of Star Trek, accusing its fandom of 'celebrating mediocrity', somewhat to the annoyance of James Doohan. I love Star Trek but am not blind to its faults and he does have a point!

https://youtu.be/3yaY98GTCYM
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-45074955
    Saddened to learn of the death of Barry Chuckle one half
    Of The Chuckle Brothers.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    ^"To me, to you!"

Very sad news to wake up to, TP! Chucklevision is one of my favourite programmes. My condolences go out to Paul and Jimmy (Mr "No Slacking!") at this sad time.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Yes, I was saddened to read of the death of Barry Chuckle. -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    I wish to commemorate the death of our founder, Ian Fleming, some 54 years ago today on 12 August 1964. Gone but certainly never forgotten. -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,323Chief of Staff
    {[] RIP THE MAN.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Respect to the man who created James Bond :007)
    Given the character he created, Ian Fleming has achieved
    An amount of immortality, as I expect James Bond to be
    Around for generations. Just like Sherlock Holmes or
    Robin Hood.
    There is an old expression that we all die twice. The second
    Time is when the last person mentions your name. I expect
    The name of Ian Fleming to be spoken for a long time -{
    Given the character he created, Ian Fleming has achieved
    An amount of immortality, as I expect James Bond to be
    Around for generations. Just like Sherlock Holmes or
    Robin Hood.
    There is an old expression that we all die twice. The second
    Time is when the last person mentions your name. I expect
    The name of Ian Fleming to be spoken for a long time -{

Thank you, TP.

I must say that that is a great old expression I've not heard before, and certainly very fitting for the enduring fame of Ian Fleming and James Bond! -{
    Anvil Neidhart died , part of the legendary Hart Foundation with Bret Hart :(

Last yr :

25 yrs since Milo Sperber died (prof Markowitz , TSWLM)

This yr : 15 yrs since Cyril Shaps died (prof Beckmann , TSWLM)
    Anvil Neidhart died , part of the legendary Hart Foundation with Bret Hart :(

Last yr :

25 yrs since Milo Sperber died (prof Markowitz , TSWLM)

This yr : 15 yrs since Cyril Shaps died (prof Beckmann , TSWLM)

I liked Cyril Shaps very much - also an accomplished voice artist who featured in the cast of the Gerry Anderson puppet series Supercar.
    RIP Aretha Franklin
    Respect!
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    The Blues brothers will never seem the same again ,she was great in that
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ycfu6

Robin Leach RIP

(parody at 3:20 :)) :p
    Senator John MacCain RIP.
    A war hero and a true conservative. He was a part of the Republican party I like.
  • MrGoreMrGore Posts: 129MI6 Agent
    https://www.cinematerial.com/artists/mac-macario-gomez-quibus-i565

Spains movie poster artist Mac died , he did Dr No and other Bond re-issues , Kellys Heroes re-issue , Leone's FAF$M , 6 Barbra films :(

Macario Gomez Quibus 007

So, he is the artist who painted that beautiful Dr No original poster which is currently on display at Sotheby's in Bond Street, London. What a fantastic artist he was. Most of his paintings are better than the actual movies they were promoting. Obviously that doesn't apply to Dr No.

The lost art of the painted movie poster. Such beauty. Such style.
    Quibus_Dr_No.jpg
  • ggl007ggl007 SpainPosts: 388MI6 Agent
    Mac sadly passed away this July: https://www.archivo007.com/index.php/noticias/media/2673-macario-gomez-mac-1926-2018

Take a look to his FRWL interpretation -{

Heston liked so much that wanted his portrait as Moses...

Oh, how lovely. Congratulations to them both! :) -{
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    Well that I explains the delay in filming!
    I give it two weeks and they announce new director found so filming can begin and he dodges the first 9 months of sleepless nights :D

But seriously congratulations to them both - wonderful news!

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    RIP to Jacqueline Pearce, better known as Supreme Commander Servalan from Blake’s 7...
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
    30 yrs ago : Gert Frobe RIP