AR7 Explorer rifle

Comments

• danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    ;% you love me really :p
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    all im saying is its good to have a degree of humour, forums can get too stuffy for my liking.

on topic, i'd love an ar-7, but i doubt they're legal in the dictorship run UK. :#
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • scaramangasgoldengunscaramangasgoldengun ScotlandPosts: 1,388MI6 Agent
    edited August 2009
    o dont worry .. when you see my new Golden Gun .. you will eat those words danjaq_0ff ... and I am sure you will all agree with me when its released... in fact you may even choke on them ... hopefully :v maybe rushed to hospital in fact :v no sorry that is too cruel :))

yea i do appologise for my typing on the forums.. pretty erratic i know.. but it wont change... so appologies all round.. busy busy busy .. sorry guys :)

and that golden gun on the cheap... i am going to shoot the guy who made that video with my new golden gun .. for even using the words Golden and Gun .. in the title of that video... I am offended to the hilt... :))

and Ed .. yes you are right i am relying on memory .. and i am fairly sure it was said to be an original screen used gun as the starting price was something like $4000 but that dosent go for anything to be honest.. and yes i am saying it was the same silencer.. featured on the gun .. and this may be where the confusion over the silencers is coming in... as if the knurrled silencer was left on that PPK and sold.. then I am sure.. the ian fleming foundation who own the glove box and rifle prop .. would have got a replacment silencer made to fit the empty space.. or the props department would have before getting rid of it.. from there archive etc ..

in fact if you have a picture of the fake sale gun claiming to be the original .. we can clear this all up and if its the same one i am thinking of then you are right .. but i will have to see it first ...................

sorry my inhaler is running out ..................... wait .................. two secs...................
  • thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent
    the ian fleming foundation who own the glove box and rifle prop .. would have got a replacment silencer made to fit the empty space.. or the props department would have before getting rid of it.. from there archive etc ..

Hmm...Next time I talk to my friend, Doug Redinius - Vice President of the Ian Fleming foundation, I'll ask him.

Setting a high price for something someone claims to be real doesn't make it so. Unscrupulous dealers often do this to make a fast buck.

I blame the buyer for not doing his research and simply thinking, as you did "it was said to be an original screen used gun as the starting price was something like $4000'

I have been associated with the prop community for years, own several items in my collection from various films and have contributed to the Star Wars saga by designing the lightsaber used by Yoda in the Star Wars films. Look me up on Google (Ed Maggiani Yoda lightsaber)

I think I pretty much know what I'm talking about.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen items being sold, claiming to be real props, on ebay.

The story usually goes something like this....

This was given to me by (insert some relative) who used to work at (insert name of studio) and worked in the (insert film Department) and knew (insert name of someone in film/prop department) who worked on the film and gave it to him. While I have no documentation I know it's real. I hate to see let it go but I need money due to (insert problem) Minimum bid $5.000.00

There’s a saying here in the states “I’m from Missori…show me”

It refers to my wanting to see proof, not heresay.

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    in fact if you have a picture of the fake sale gun claiming to be the original .. we can clear this all up and if its the same one i am thinking of then you are right .. but i will have to see it first ............

So....unless I show it to you...I'm wrong?

Please, Mick why would I have saved photos from an auction I know to be fake.

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    must say ed, as someone who dabbles inmaking stuff, its really annoying when i see people paying more cash for an inferior product.

now im not trying to blow my own pipe here, but i've seen dbs models go for more than mine cost, and they were full of errors. like you say, i blame the people who cough up, more fool them i'm afraid.

i think the classic is the ever famous "he's me sat in the original goldfinger db5". the amount of times i've seen that on pictures, and even pictures taken after the damn thing disappeared.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    edited August 2009
    No Ed... I am not saying your wrong unless
    you show me a picture.. Please dont read it that way .. thats just silly, if i meant it that way which i didnt. But I am sure me and you have chatted long enough, now for you to know i would not say a thing like that to someone of your knewledge of the subject etc ..

and i agreed with you when i said ''starting price of about $4000 which goes for nothing'' Meaning this dosent mean its an original .. but you make it sound like i am saying that was deffinetly an original screen seen and used prop.. but as i say the whole '$4000 GOES FOR NOTHING'' agrees with what you are saying about fake props...

and Yes minigeff i know exactly what you mean with regards to the DB5 original from Goldfinger. even Connery himself says ''there is about 10 or something around the world claiming to be the actual one .. and people keep paying money to see it''
    :D he loves me :D :v x x x micky poo
    edited August 2009
    yea he does ... danjaq_0ff :))

aint that nice cup cake :v

please dont use words like ''Mickey poo'' and xxx's honey

hope this topic and convo aint gona turn, fruity now.. :))
    :x er hello big boy, ahem would you like to come seee my props nudge nudge wink wink :))
    yea we could compare props if you like.

ive got quite a few props never released / unleashed online before :)) ;%

:)) :)) :))

Order in the court .. ORDER ORDER !
    what like, mines bigger than yours lol, :)) :v
    Back on subject, Ed do you think you could do plans for an AR-7 so us in the uk can get some genious prop maker over here to get it built?
    .. but you make it sound like i am saying that was deffinetly an original screen seen and used prop..

No, Mick...YOU make it sound like that by not structuring your sentences correctly.
    By not doing that you leave your statements open to interpretation.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    ive got quite a few props never released before :)) ;%:)) :)) :))
    Does that make you a VIRGIN propmaker :))
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    Back on subject, Ed do you think you could do plans for an AR-7 so us in the uk can get some genious prop maker over here to get it built?

I'm guessing you mean GENIUS?

I'm mispelled that as a joke, right? :)) :))

Anyway, I could provide detailed blueprints for anyone wishing to try their hand at it.

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    personally i would preffer to purchase a Resin Replica directly from you Ed. Painted up or plain, what ever suits. as long as It will fit my AR7 stock. I am happy

in fact send it painted bright blue! that will be fine

thanks
    Mick,
    I would love to do that...if you guys are allowed to buy it.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    lol it'll fit your stock as long as you've made the stock right mick :p

just had a look, and ar-7's are available to buy, fully working in the UK. £225, nice!

and ed, mick don't care about gun laws, so looks like you got yourself a deal there! :o:p:))
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff,
    I'm SURE Mick is a law-bidding citizen and wouldn't dream of breaking the law.
    Anyway...I haven't seen any blank-firing Golden Guns...have you? :)
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    OK mates,
    I'm going to go into my Q-workshop and produce more items for everyones's enjoyment.
    I'll post photos later.

Now PLAY NICE while I'm away.....

ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    minigeff,
    I'm SURE Mick is a law-bidding citizen and wouldn't dream of breaking the law.
    Anyway...I haven't seen any blank-firing Golden Guns...have you? :)
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

nope, i was just being cheeky ed, tis only me nature pal, you'll learn that as ya get to know me. :D
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    I have solved the problem on my computer of not seeing all of the posted pictures, and after going back and studying the images of the "silencer" in question, would like to offer some more observations.....

Having made a few dummy silecners in the past, I have found it easier to use a tube of some kind for the body of the silencer. Often I have used a knurled section from a reloading die or other item, turned down on a lathe to fit the tube. Here is a picture of the fake Beretta silencer I cobbled together for my "Bond Beretta" with a shorter knurled endcap.

2berettas18.jpg

I believe the knurled/unknurled arguement comes down to this....

Originally there was a knurled/grooved section mounted on the front end of the silencer. Because it was fashioned from say an old "cutts compensator", this forward section of the prop silencer was a seperate piece. It appears to me that in the images of the prop silencer, the whole prop is longer when you see the knurling and shorter without it. So I would speculate that the forward section of the prop was lost/misplaced/removed at some point and replaced with a shorter and unknurled "cap".

Because we are talking films, no doubt more than one AR7 silencer was made ( I understand they usually make three of every screen seen prop) so maybe one was a backup and incomplete, since six years transpired between FRWL and OHMSS. I further would argue that the AR7 prop sillencer is what is hanging stupidly off the end of Big Tam's PPK in the following image posted by our resident mis-speller....

diamonds_3_600.jpg

Mystery solved?
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    7289 wrote:

diamonds_3_600.jpg

Am I the only one under the impression, that in this pic, the angle of the gun itself is not the same as the angle of the silencer.

On this pic, it seems to me, that the silencer does not really match to the gun and has been simpls sticked on with a lot of "air".

But I admit, I know nothing about guns....
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

I'm guessing you mean GENIUS?

I'm mispelled that as a joke, right? :)) :))

Anyway, I could provide detailed blueprints for anyone wishing to try their hand at it.

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

OI no mistake mate I'm sh@t at spelling, should have gone to school i guess :D I to would have gone with one of your resin AR-7, but the old man said I cant use his Box for that lol but the blue prints would be cool but i think I will go down the DEACT path and keep it within the law :))
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote....

"Am I the only one under the impression, that in this pic, the angle of the gun itself is not the same as the angle of the silencer.

On this pic, it seems to me, that the silencer does not really match to the gun and has been simpls sticked on with a lot of "air""

Yes, the "angle of the dangle" is no where near correct. The end of the prop intended to thread in to the barrel was simply stuck into the muzzle of the PPK ( which means it was likely a .380, not the correct .32) and so despite Big Tam's resolute Bondian pose, he looks like a "goof"....

Bondtoys added.....

"But I admit, I know nothing about guns...."

You know a lot about women though .... right???

;)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    you bet :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    7289 wrote:
    Originally there was a knurled/grooved section mounted on the front end of the silencer. Because it was fashioned from say an old "cutts compensator", this forward section of the prop silencer was a seperate piece.

It appears to me that in the images of the prop silencer, the whole prop is longer when you see the knurling and shorter without it. So I would speculate that the forward section of the prop was lost/misplaced/removed at some point and replaced with a shorter and unknurled "cap".

Hmmm...VEEERRRY Interesting. Good speculation. Just to make sure I understand what you are saying...

The Top image is of the "Silencer" as it appears in the 007 Archive book
    The Middle image, you speculate, is the same "Silencer" with an additional piece screwed on.
    The Bottom image is of the two halves separated.

007-OHMSS_AR-7-OptionA.jpg

My only problem with that theory is that the "Silencer" in the 007 Archive book (top image) looks different to me than the version seen in the film (bottom image) in two ways...

A. The tube appears to taper
    B. There are no rear threads visible

007-OHMSS_AR-7-OptionB.jpg

I believe Tom's machined replica is fairly close to the screen version except for the differences I pointed out in an earlier posting.

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    ed, imo the silencer wouldn't be in 2 halves as shown above. the knurling would only be there to aid screwing it on to the ar-7's barrel.

the construction of a silencer is reletively simple, but is more than just an empty tube.

it's my belief that the silencer's body is all one piece, with the end being screwed in, with the split being the right hand edge of the knurled area.

does anyone know if the front of the silencer features 2 holes to locate a C spanner in?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Like this?

007-OHMSS_AR-7-OptionC.jpg

I actually think the initial way I drew it explains more of why it not only appears shorter but also why the knurling disappears in the 007 Archive book version.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com