AR7 Explorer rifle

Comments

• thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent
    By the way...I don't know about the rest of you but I'm having a bit of fun!!!!
    I think all the photos we're adding truly makes the postings more enjoyable and interesting.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    By the way...I don't know about the rest of you but I'm having a bit of fun!!!!
    I think all the photos we're adding truly makes the postings more enjoyable and interesting.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

yep i second that lol, love all the pics. mostly down to you Ed keep it up. :D
  • Gebruder GumboldGebruder Gumbold San FranciscoPosts: 541MI6 Agent
    I agree that this whole thread is great fun, and informitive!
    Ed, it looks to me as if the rear of the silencer, I will modify and move the threads as you suggested- good catch there, and I will indeed make up a few more pieces in my next run.

Now, as for the front of the silencer, I strained my eyes and slow-mo DVD, and the front of the silencer, as film seen in the "DBS Glovebox" shows that I have the front correct as it stands, with the knurling near the end.

If I make a version for you, so you want the knurling as I have it, or as you have pictured, further back?

Thanks again for your attention to detail!
    Tom
    OHMSSDBS.com
    ED,
    Following further review and study of the DVD shot of the AR-7, it looks as if I also got the width of the knurling wrong. It appears, to me, that the knurling at the end of the silencer is about 3/8" wide, especially when you consider the overall proportions of the silencer body overall length.

Please advise,
    Tom
    OHMSSDBS.com
    GG,
    Let me "Test" my ole' eyes again. I'll re-watch it and let you know what I see (or THINK I see) LOL

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Ed, (and everyone else)

Your work up on the silencer is essentially correct, except that the prop was most likely a hollow tube, not solid. The knurled section could have been pressed, glued or threaded on the silencer body.

As minigeff pointed out, real silencers - which are in essence hollow tubes full of magical baffels to slow down and dissipate the explosion of gas from the cartridge - are generally threaded on the inside of the tube and the end pieces screw in/out by use of a special spanner that engages blind holes on the end caps. This allows the user to disassemble the silencer and clean the internals.

The photo of Big Tam pointing the "Q Branch Chest Shooter" reveals no blind holes around the muzzle of the silencer, so I'll bet the end piece is a cap that fits inside the tube.

Since these movie props are not real functional silencers, it's not essential that they be threaded into the barrel, a 3/4" long shaft and a tight fit would hold the prop on the gun real well. Then even if the movie gun is fired with a blank, the blank round does not develop enough pressure to blow the silencer off the end of the pistol if there is a clear path from the barrel through the length of the silencer.

Take a look at Dr. No when Big Tam pulls the silencer off the end of his Browning 1910 after shooting Professor Dent. It's clear that particular "silencer" could not have been "screwed" into the muzzle of the Browning. In FRWL, when Bond mounts the silencer on the AR7, I don't recall he "screwed" it in, but merely pushed it into place.

Later in FRWL Robert Shaw is seen literally screwing the silencer into the muzzle of the PPK prior to the train fight. I believe that whether it is "screw in" or "push on" is dependent on what the scene featuring the prop required.

Now I would like to know what you would call the "Q Branch Chest Shooter" if oo7 aimed, not at the head of his adversary, but at the center of his chest? Would it then be a "Q Branch B**l Shooter"?
    A variation of the Q-Branch Chest Shooter can be seen in THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN.
    In this case, however, it is a rifle balanced for a fingerlass assassin. Bond, having been aquainted with the Q-Branch Chest Shooter, knew to aim for Lazar's belt. :s
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited August 2009
    7289 wrote:
    Bondtoys wrote....

"Am I the only one under the impression, that in this pic, the angle of the gun itself is not the same as the angle of the silencer.

On this pic, it seems to me, that the silencer does not really match to the gun and has been simpls sticked on with a lot of "air""

Yes, the "angle of the dangle" is no where near correct. The end of the prop intended to thread in to the barrel was simply stuck into the muzzle of the PPK ( which means it was likely a .380, not the correct .32) and so despite Big Tam's resolute Bondian pose, he looks like a "goof"....

Bondtoys added.....

"But I admit, I know nothing about guns...."

You know a lot about women though .... right???

;)

:)) Talking about people, who know nothing about guns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZSUPCoIUsY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNKJIRXwiv8
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:

is that a really big guy with a normal sized gun, or a tiny gun with a normal sized guy?

"who ate all the pies, who ate all the pies.... and the plate, and the table, the chef, the kitchen, the house, and the entire contents of the local supermarket"
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • scaramangasgoldengunscaramangasgoldengun ScotlandPosts: 1,388MI6 Agent
    I got a positive ID on him :))

2654.jpg

that guy in the video could have used his belly as a silencer. put the gun in a fold on his belly and fired out from inside. That gun would have sounded like a Welrod if that method had been used
    For those that don't know...
    Agent "Tub-a-lo 7" was shooting his semi-auto pistol through a method called "Inertia Fire"
    This is a method by which any semi-auto pistol or rifle can be fired so fast that it appears to be firing as a full-auto.

The trick is keeping your trigger finger locked directly in front of the trigger as you insert your index finger of the other hand around the trigger guard and then you simply exert a forward push with that hand. As you do...you pull the pistol TO your trigger finger causing it to pull the trigger. Inertia will cause the gun to travel rearward as you continue pulling forward and the cycle repeats over & over...thus...(ALMOST) Full-auto fire.

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    "Tub-A-Lo-7" Very Good!
    Can also refer to Connery in DAF?
    How about Sean's tremendous physique in Zardoz?
    For those that don't know...
    Agent "Tub-a-lo 7" was shooting his semi-auto pistol through a method called "Inertia Fire"
    This is a method by which any semi-auto pistol or rifle can be fired so fast that it appears to be firing as a full-auto.

The trick is keeping your trigger finger locked directly in front of the trigger as you insert your index finger of the other hand around the trigger guard and then you simply exert a forward push with that hand. As you do...you pull the pistol TO your trigger finger causing it to pull the trigger. Inertia will cause the gun to travel rearward as you continue pulling forward and the cycle repeats over & over...thus...(ALMOST) Full-auto fire.

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

wonder if that works with semi-auto rifles? one way to find out..... :o
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    ...As I said....ANY semi-auto pistol/rifle....it works!!!!
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    I know the gentleman that has the OHMSS silencer. It definately has knurling on the tip and is the same one used on the PPK in publicity photos as well as the DBS tray. Hopefully he will see this thread and weigh in on it.
    Hi Guys,
    I used to own the actual screen silencer George used for press shots for OHMSS & Sean used for DAF press shots & can confirm it is the same silencer used by both actors. The knurled cap is just that, a screw in threaded cap with a knurled edge for better grip when screwing on & off. The dimensions are roughly 80mm by 25mm with a 10mm threaded stud. The silencer was made of aluminium which was then blued to match the blue of the PPK. I can't confirm if it was the DBS glove box silencer but because of its size I would think not. It is now in a private collection & for that reason it would be inappropriate for me to publish images. 3 years ago the silencer was signed by George Lazenby. He spent a great deal of time & effort trying to get his full signature to fit on such a small tube..What a gent! There was only ever one example of this prop created.
    ppw306r,
    Ahhh...well, that confirms, at least, the silencers in the publicity pics are the same but not the one in the glovebox.

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    By the way...Bond wasn't the ONLY agent with an AR-7...:))

Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com

GetSmart_AR-7Rifle-01.jpg
    i take it the ar-7 is a semi?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:

Yes, and for the most part a rather poor one at that.....
    7289 wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

Yes, and for the most part a rather poor one at that.....

lol, why are say that? inaccurate, rattley, loud, sparky?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    For one thing...Unless you use the proper ammunition...it tends to jam.
    On the range it was jamming after EVERY round. I switched to Winchester ammo and it functioned flawlessly.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    Any other AR-7 owners run into any problems?
    ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    No replies so I guess everyone else has had no problems either. :))
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
    I have worked on several over the years, and never been impressed with them from a functional or practical standpoint. Quality control has been sporadic over several generations of the AR7 which has been made by a wide variety of businesses.

The AR7, is a firearm made to be sold and not shot. The original concept was a portable, floatable, survival (read - last ditch) rifle. They were never made to be a rifle to take out every weekend and run a hundred rounds through. Quality of the rifle, as manufactured by several different companies over the past 46 or so years has varied greatly, some have worked well - others not at all.

Old oo7 has sold more of these rifles than anyone else. The Bond mythos requires everything oo7 touches to be finest, best, most elegant item ever made. That isn't always the case... just look at the Fleming supplied .25 Beretta.... you'd have a hard time stopping a crazed rabbit with one of those. The AR7 is a cute concept and looks nice on screen, but it's hardly the "infra-red .25 sniper rifle" capable of shooting down helicopters and enemy agents. The AR7's power is more in the the imagination than reality.

So sit back and enjoy your AR7's, just don't try and ambush any helicopters with them!

;)
    7289 wrote:
    The AR7 is a cute concept and looks nice on screen, but it's hardly the "infra-red .25 sniper rifle" capable of shooting down helicopters and enemy agents.

what about shooting blokes holding grenades? ;) B-) :))

nice review 7289. when it comes to .22's, i love my remy speedmaster, and my anchuntz (spelt right? prob not lol) 525.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Thanks minigeff!,

It's spelled Anschutz. Both are quality .22's.
    I agree that just about every Bond collector I know has an AR-7 in their collection.
    Ed
    TheSpyBoys.com
  • scaramangasgoldengunscaramangasgoldengun ScotlandPosts: 1,388MI6 Agent
    any more news / progress with the resin .. or metal replica display props for us to purchase. ?

come on guys. Many of us are in need of a complete AR-7 replica :))
    any more news / progress with the resin .. or metal replica display props for us to purchase. ?

come on guys. Many of us are in need of a complete AR-7 replica :))

replica? pfft, get a FAC, much more fun! B-)
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org