Dame Shirley Bassey - The Performance

Comments

• Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    songs of majestic despair, can't honestly say they cheer me up but there you go.
    Not half. The opener, Almost There, the Hawley one you mention After The Rain, and the last track, The Performance Of My Life, are all pretty much tragic!
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,287MI6 Agent
    The Girl From Tiger Fray:

itr__1219394995_Elin_Nordegren.jpg

I'd make her my caddy - she'd know how to give me woods...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,375Chief of Staff
    I'd make her my caddy - she'd know how to give me woods...

Tiger Woods or Norwegian Woods?
    Oh no, Not a Second Time... 8-) :D

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Yes it is.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,612Chief of Staff
    Oh no....another Magical Mystery Tour !
    YNWA 97
    What does it matter to you? When you've got a job to do, you've got to do it well. :007)

(Edit: Ok, not The Beatles per se, but I'd say it qualifies on another score!)
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Yeah Yeah Yeah......

I hopes of addressing the original idea behind this thread, I would like to observe that with a few strings of the James Bond Theme* woven into the melody, that "No Good about Goodbye" could have been a satisfactory Theme for QOS.....certainly better than what we ended up with!

I am in hopes that this album does signal a return to a Bond theme with SB doing the vocal. Prehaps with two years to plot out Bond 23, EON will take a little more time and thought with the Theme as well as the Plot .... then we can get an action film that's a bit more "polished".

BTW.... "No Good" sounds alot like "Tomarrow Never Dies".... doesn't it?
    7289 wrote:
    "No Good" sounds alot like "Tomarrow Never Dies".... doesn't it?

More like "The World Is Not Enough", I'd say- one part of the A section for NGAG sounds like part of the B section for TWINE. Arnold's fond of tritones.

Still, a class song which clearly should have been the theme for QoS. On Twitter, Arnold says that he did start writing it during the film but he and Don Black didn't finish it till later. I do suspect (with no proof whatsoever) that the producers had doubts about the commerciality of a heavy ballad sung by a lady of Bassey's years, and went for the other option. :(
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    I do suspect (with no proof whatsoever) that the producers had doubts about the commerciality of a heavy ballad sung by a lady of Bassey's years, and went for the other option. :(
    Ironically a lady that had a hugely successful headline of Glastonbury and has now stormed back into the charts with a critically acclaimed album written by a number of contemporary artists and fetted as a legend in the British media...

First Tom Jones, then Rod Stewart, Paul McCartney and now Shirley Bassey. Age hasn't prevented any from successfully relaunching their careers, in the UK at least. And while not relaunching herself, we also had 92 year old Dame Vera Lynn dominating the album chart for several months (and as much as it makes me cringe, SuBo...)

Decent enough evidence to suggest that age need not be a barrier to commercial success. Of course, there is the all important "No 1" single that the producers might be chasing, but with Chris Cornell's bland efforts and that horrific assault on the ears from Jack White and Alecia Screamer, they're way off the mark for that anyway...
    unitedkingdom.png
    I agree, and what's more, it's a headliner in itself to have Dame Shirley returning to Bond after nearly 20 years, it's the seal of approval.

seal14_gallery__600x400.jpg

Of course, you can imagine Mickey and Babs wanting the youth vote etc etc

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I agree, and what's more, it's a headliner in itself to have Dame Shirley returning to Bond after nearly 20 years, it's the seal of approval.

seal14_gallery__600x400.jpg

Of course, you can imagine Mickey and Babs wanting the youth vote etc etc

(Struggles against impulse to comment- can't resist it...)

You can be a seal, but I am the walrus!
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    (Struggles against impulse to comment- can't resist it...)
    On this site, you are NEVER allowed to resist it. X-( It doesn't matter how clever your pun/joke/humerous comment is, you must NEVER resist telling it. :v
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    :)) Any time at all?

(Being for the benefit of Mr. Same)
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:

No never. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

No never. :D

Then Dan - Run For Your Life !
    YNWA 97
    No reply?
    Barbel wrote:
    No reply?

Ask me why.
    YNWA 97
    I don't want to spoil the party.
    Tell me what you see....
    YNWA 97
    Wait...
    When I'm sixty four....
    YNWA 97
    It won't be long! :D
    Love you too !
    YNWA 97
    Everybody's trying to be my baby.
    If I needed someone.
    YNWA 97
    I'll cry instead.
    Happiness is a warm gun :p
    YNWA 97
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I'm so tired. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Golden slumbers !
    YNWA 97