Bond23 Officially Suspended

Comments

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    I'm really starting to get sick of MGM and all their nonsense. For all intents and purposes EON is being held hostage by an insolvent partner. I would assume that if EON really wanted to, they could take MGM to court and force something but that could tie things up for years. Too bad Cubby didn't just buy Harry out.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    The people running MGM need to be held accountable for their actions. I suggest a reenactment of the croc walk in LALD. If they manage to get to the other side then they get their pension, but agree never to go near a film set again. If they don't make it, well then their hookers, mistresses, coke suppliers, and other people who rely on them for an income will just have to look elsewhere for money. I'm really pi***ed off about this by the way. Why couldn't this have happened before DAD or AVTAK? Why now for fecks sake?
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    Make of this what you will but there's also an expletive laden rant over at Aint It Cool News about MGM's woes wherein Harry Knowles says production on the next Bond film is "dead" (his words). No specific sources are cited and the Hobbit situation is also mentioned.

Full rant is here: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45670
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Latest news from Variety is here. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118021340.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&ref=bd_film

One thing I think everyone should understand MGM will not make their debt payment July 14th, or any other date for that matter. They don't have the money, so MGM is going to be sold, or merged with another studio. No matter what course of action is taken, it isn't going to happen soon. Some reports have stated MGM will declare bankruptcy and another studio will agree to take MGM over. Other reports state that Lions Gate will try to purchase MGM. In either one of those scenarios the transaction will take months to complete.
  • nms75nms75 United KingdomPosts: 1,233MI6 Agent
    Anyone else get the feeling DC has made in last Bond film when he did QOS? Bond will no doubt return to the silver screen but I fear by the time it does DC will have moved on and another actor will be cast in the role.

NMS
    A sense of humour is no laughing matter!
  • 007007 ClassifiedPosts: 372MI6 Agent
    nms75 wrote:
    Anyone else get the feeling DC has made in last Bond film when he did QOS? Bond will no doubt return to the silver screen but I fear by the time it does DC will have moved on and another actor will be cast in the role.

NMS

I know what you mean but I think and hope that DC will be back... done such a great job so far in my opinion.
    Things I hate:
    1. People who hate things.
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    007 wrote:
    nms75 wrote:

NMS

I know what you mean but I think and hope that DC will be back... done such a great job so far in my opinion.

I hope so... although he has already started talks with the producer of the Hollywood version of 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' - and that is a trilogy.... so he's already lining up work so to speak.

MGM are hardly going to sell off one of their most precious assets - I just have a feeling this is going to take a very long time.

So it's down to Patience....... and staying calm ;)
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Also Cowboys and Aliens seems like a surefire hit, so that should keep Craig in the limelight for a bit.
  • R. SterlingR. Sterling Posts: 103MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    007 wrote:
    nms75 wrote:

NMS

I hope so... although he has already started talks with the producer of the Hollywood version of 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' - and that is a trilogy.... so he's already lining up work so to speak.

MGM are hardly going to sell off one of their most precious assets - I just have a feeling this is going to take a very long time.

So it's down to Patience....... and staying calm ;)

Calm? Calm is for sheep.
    We are ravenous, lunatic Craigaholics!

Are those "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" talks actually confirmed, Lexi?

If so, I'd need a stiff drink.

And that's a bad idea at almost 4 am, especially when you have to get up, well, soon.

-{
    I've seen angels fall from blinding heights.
    But you yourself are nothing so divine.

Just next in line.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent

Calm? Calm is for sheep.
    We are ravenous, lunatic Craigaholics!

Are those "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" talks actually confirmed, Lexi?

If so, I'd need a stiff drink.

And that's a bad idea at almost 4 am, especially when you have to get up, well, soon.

-{

You sound like me re: Daniel Craig :)) :x

As for confirmation? Well there is this here but there is nothing concrete - so it's still not 'confirmed' - however having read the first 2 books, (on the third one now....) I'm beginning to see Craig playing the character of Michael Blomkvist - and there are whispers of Keira Knightley playing Salander - interesting choice ;)

And staying calm IS the only way - trust me, it get's you through all sorts :D
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • crocke007crocke007 Posts: 107MI6 Agent
    Hey all, just found this on Sky's website !!!

"The latest James Bond film has officially been killed off and scrapped due to MGM's ongoing cash crisis.

Earlier reports suggested that production on Bond 23 had been suspended until the film studio could sort out its financial difficulties, but now ITN have reported that the production company behind the project have officially announced it is DOA.

EON released a statement ominously confirming: "We do not know when development will resume and cannot comment further at this stage."

American Beauty's Sam Mendes had been lined up to direct the next installment, but it could now be years before 007 returns to the big screen."

Bugger !!!
    Does anybody know how to get in touch with MGM so we can explain what a shower of b****rds they are?
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,277MI6 Agent
    Hmm, if this carries on then Crag in a Devil's May Care type film, where he is older, not a prequel but, oh I dunno, aheadel... looking back on adventures that we'll never get to see, recalling Vesper. If you catch my drift. That could have a poignancy.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • ClarkeyClarkey FrancePosts: 32MI6 Agent
    This afternoon in France at 2:00 PM : Bond 23 officially cancelled...not "suspended". Not in 2011 probably not in 2012 either...

http://www.7sur7.be/7s7/fr/1528/Cinema/article/detail/1129260/2010/07/06/James-Bond-passe-a-la-trappe.dhtml

http://www.parismatch.com/Culture-Match/Cinema/Actu/James-Bond-frappe-par-la-crise-197871/

What's new here ?
    Could all this "Bond 23 Cancelled" stuff all just be a rumour that has taken on a life of its own...or is this all about semantics. "Suspended"; "cancelled", whatever. I still believe the first priority of anyone who gets their hands on MGM's share of Bond will be to get 23 back on track.
    HowardB wrote:
    Could all this "Bond 23 Cancelled" stuff all just be a rumour that has taken on a life of its own...or is this all about semantics. "Suspended"; "cancelled", whatever. I still believe the first priority of anyone who gets their hands on MGM's share of Bond will be to get 23 back on track.

That is semantic. Today there is an evidence : Bond 23 is cancelled and there's another fact : MGM is in a total bankruptcy.
    There is a time for optimism and a time for evidence. Bond will NOT return in a near future.
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    Well, the news has reached New Zealand. It must be official. ;)

My friend down in NZ always sends articles my way re: Bond, hoping that he was the first to know (The odds are undoubtedly against him). I was waiting to see how long it would take to get to him.

Now there are reports in Britain, France, Australia and New Zealand. I suppose that no announcement is a good announcement from MGM/EON??? The rumours are spreading like wildfire, but from no major source of entertainment news. I hope this blows over soon and we hear in a few weeks that MGM is sold.

That would be good news indeed!
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • stjimmy456stjimmy456 Manchester, EnglandPosts: 75MI6 Agent
    People keep citing 'new' reports -- they all seem to be the same report from different sources.

Remember there has been no word from Eon other than the 'no further comment' quote -- the cancellation is from an 'insider' and an 'unnamed source'.

Until Michael G. Wilson says Bond is on the scrapheap for a few years, don't get too upset. And for anybody who thinks that is just wishful thinking, it isn't, this is a story based on facts from an unnamed source, which happens endlessly in the press.

I saw the Guardian article the other day was it, with reasons for and against it being a good thing Bond is scrapped, as if Bond's return is even in question... all it is is an MGM money dispute, whoever buys them out will of course give the franchise the green light.

This story so far has grown from MGM saying Bond is shelved, a phantom saying its cancelled, and the world's press discussing the series' death !
  • Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    Just heard it on the Dutch radio as well, that the next Bond film is officially cancelled.

I let out a stream of words that I will not repeat here... X-(

I know it's not 'new' news, but to hear it from such a public medium, it really hits you where it hurts.
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."
    Some interesting insight - or at least, something I agree with - on aintitcool. Not Harry's 'news' story, but Rebeck2's opinion some way down the page.

http://www.aintitcool.com/talkback_display/45670#comment_3426985

I'm a Lifelong Bond Fanatic

And, through my work, I have some connections to the people who make the films - and I have to put forth a theory here that I don't think anyone seems to be picking up on. The Broccolis, that is Barbara and her stepbrother Michael Wilson, are in complete control of Bond and seem to be using MGM's status as an excuse to stop making the films. Why would they do that? Because they're greedy and lazy and they're tired. This is a family business they inherited and thus they never had the same passion (or, IMHO, the creative understanding) for that their father did. They have swung like a pendulum trying to guess what the public wants, but they don't seem to truly "get" what makes their hero/franchise so special. But on every film they have made these unbelievable "Producer Fees" above and beyond their ownership of the franchise and they are filthy **** rich. Ever wonder why Bond doesn't seem to end up in a major city anymore, like Bourne does? Because instead of putting the money "back on the screen" the way Cubby did, they put it all in their pockets. They don't really care that much, but they are also confused by the mixed responses they get their flailing. (QOS was a good film that could have been great, IMO, with just a better edit) It's not unlike what happened after Licence To Kill. Cubby stopped making the films not because he was in the middle of a lawsuit - that is the PR myth that Bond fans have been repeating for years - no, he was tired. Dalton's second film was the closest thing the series had to an outright box office bomb. His stepson was in charge and running this great series into the ground. Wilson wrote a script all by himself...Cubby read it and rejected it...and a six year "hiatus" was born. At that point, Cubby was old and didn't want the grief, wanted a break after 25 years of making Bond movies. I think the same thing is happening now. I think these two just want to do nothing and enjoy life. It could be the development of the new script wasn't going very well, or it just presented choices they were tired of making. But they have the right to take Bond anywhere they want. This MGM situation just gives them an excuse to go on holiday. I'm not demonizing them. They're just very very rich and this business is not something that's really in their veins - it could be a chain of hardware stores for all they really care. I say this not just as a fan, but as somebody who has known people working on the films. So... While I'm very disappointed, I'm wondering if maybe this isn't the beginning of the Broccolis selling off Bond altogether and getting out of the 007 business. I hope so. I think the series would benefit from the stewardship of someone new and fresh and who really loves it. That's my two cents. Sorry for the long post, guys.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Some interesting insight - or at least, something I agree with - on aintitcool. Not Harry's 'news' story, but Rebeck2's opinion some way down the page.

And, through my work, I have some connections to the people who make the films - and I have to put forth a theory here that I don't think anyone seems to be picking up on. The Broccolis, that is Barbara and her stepbrother Michael Wilson, are in complete control of Bond and seem to be using MGM's status as an excuse to stop making the films. Why would they do that? Because they're greedy and lazy and they're tired. This is a family business they inherited and thus they never had the same passion (or, IMHO, the creative understanding) for that their father did. They have swung like a pendulum trying to guess what the public wants, but they don't seem to truly "get" what makes their hero/franchise so special. But on every film they have made these unbelievable "Producer Fees" above and beyond their ownership of the franchise and they are filthy **** rich. Ever wonder why Bond doesn't seem to end up in a major city anymore, like Bourne does? Because instead of putting the money "back on the screen" the way Cubby did, they put it all in their pockets. They don't really care that much, but they are also confused by the mixed responses they get their flailing. (QOS was a good film that could have been great, IMO, with just a better edit) It's not unlike what happened after Licence To Kill. Cubby stopped making the films not because he was in the middle of a lawsuit - that is the PR myth that Bond fans have been repeating for years - no, he was tired. Dalton's second film was the closest thing the series had to an outright box office bomb. His stepson was in charge and running this great series into the ground. Wilson wrote a script all by himself...Cubby read it and rejected it...and a six year "hiatus" was born. At that point, Cubby was old and didn't want the grief, wanted a break after 25 years of making Bond movies. I think the same thing is happening now. I think these two just want to do nothing and enjoy life. It could be the development of the new script wasn't going very well, or it just presented choices they were tired of making. But they have the right to take Bond anywhere they want. This MGM situation just gives them an excuse to go on holiday. I'm not demonizing them. They're just very very rich and this business is not something that's really in their veins - it could be a chain of hardware stores for all they really care. I say this not just as a fan, but as somebody who has known people working on the films. So... While I'm very disappointed, I'm wondering if maybe this isn't the beginning of the Broccolis selling off Bond altogether and getting out of the 007 business. I hope so. I think the series would benefit from the stewardship of someone new and fresh and who really loves it. That's my two cents. Sorry for the long post, guys.

What a load of total B@LL@CKS, just my two cents worth :v
    Cubby stopped making the films not because he was in the middle of a lawsuit - that is the PR myth that Bond fans have been repeating for years - no, he was tired. Dalton's second film was the closest thing the series had to an outright box office bomb. His stepson was in charge and running this great series into the ground. Wilson wrote a script all by himself...Cubby read it and rejected it...and a six year "hiatus" was born. At that point, Cubby was old and didn't want the grief, wanted a break after 25 years of making Bond movies. I think the same thing is happening now. I think these two just want to do nothing and enjoy life. It could be the development of the new script wasn't going very well, or it just presented choices they were tired of making. But they have the right to take Bond anywhere they want. This MGM situation just gives them an excuse to go on holiday. I'm not demonizing them. They're just very very rich and this business is not something that's really in their veins - it could be a chain of hardware stores for all they really care. I say this not just as a fan, but as somebody who has known people working on the films. So... While I'm very disappointed, I'm wondering if maybe this isn't the beginning of the Broccolis selling off Bond altogether and getting out of the 007 business. I hope so. I think the series would benefit from the stewardship of someone new and fresh and who really loves it.

Waow !...It's a very interesting point of view. One must think about all this...IMO I'm agree about the idea that Barbara (not Michael I think...) is tired and by the fact this business isn't really in her veins.
    Discuss.-{
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    utter total codshit.

imo, there isn't a single syllabel of truth in any of that quote.

clarkey, when a statement comes from an 'unknown' or ' a secret insider' in eon, i wouldn't believe a word of it.

an unknown source is not evidence, its speculation and most likely a rumour. if there was such a big announcement to make regarding bond23, don't you think eon would issue an official press release?
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent

I can believe some of this, especially the notion that Barbara Broccoli isn't as passionate about the series. Some of her comments in the past, such as a willingness to remake earlier films, would suggest that she doesn't have the passion her father or probably her stepbrother have/had for the series. Michael Wilson's lamentations about being creatively spent after the release of QoS also rang hollow, especially in light of the fact that they basically rebooted the entire franchise precisely so that they could free themselves up creatively.

On the other hand, the one thing I've learned about people who have a lot of money is that they always want more and that isn't going to happen here as long as Bond sits on the sidelines. It's in Wilson & Broccoli's financial interest to get another movie up and running sooner rather than later, even if their heart isn't in it.

I find it interesting that this latest round of "Bond 23 is dead" stories are all coming out just as MGM is getting ready to ask for another extension on its debt. This, coupled with Del Toro's exit from The Hobbit and McKellan's backing off on his committment to again play Gandalf could all be ammunition to finally convince the creditors that MGM's time has come and either sell off the rights or make a deal with Lionsgate, Time Warner (I'll bet their $1.5 billion offer is looking pretty good right now) or someone else. In light of the way MGM is hemmoraging away its creative options I can't believe the creditors would approve another extension (after all, where is the money going to come from, that Red Dawn remake? Ha!). Then again, this is Hollywood we're talking about.
    Then why bring Bond back for GE? Many folk thought Bond was finished during the early 90's. If Babs wasn't interested it would have saved a lot of hassle to just leave it alone and live off the earnings of the old movies.
    edited July 2010
    minigeff wrote:
    clarkey, when a statement comes from an 'unknown' or ' a secret insider' in eon, i wouldn't believe a word of it.

an unknown source is not evidence, its speculation and most likely a rumour. if there was such a big announcement to make regarding bond23, don't you think eon would issue an official press release?

I think there's an evidence and something is obvious : EON, Sam Mendes, Craig...None of them has said the production of Bond 23 is still running... All newspapers and internet website said "It's cancelled, reporting to a relative.." And I think the investors of the MGM need to be comforted these days...It's something like an "earthquake" and EON isn't deaf or blind !(forgive my poor english I hope you'll understand what I mean).

I'm agree with you TonyDP.
    I can believe some of this, especially the notion that Barbara Broccoli isn't as passionate about the series. Some of her comments in the past, such as a willingness to remake earlier films, would suggest that she doesn't have the passion her father or probably her stepbrother have/had for the series. Michael Wilson's lamentations about being creatively spent after the release of QoS also rang hollow, especially in light of the fact that they basically rebooted the entire franchise precisely so that they could free themselves up creatively.
  • stjimmy456stjimmy456 Manchester, EnglandPosts: 75MI6 Agent

I must have missed when this thread turned into 'Let's see who can quote the most moronic sources who chat the most rubbish.'

You seriously believe Michael G. Wilson makes Bond movies purposely in lesser known cities just to pocket the budget ? Are you crazy ! Michael's been working on Bond for years ! His heart is well and truly in these movies, if it wasn't, he'd have canned it after Albert died.

Please don't re-blog such drivel, whoever wrote that is a total moron.
    Well!

"His heart is well and truly in these movies!" I see your psychology degree has not been wasted on you! :)) Was that the case when he okay'd the CGI invisible car...

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Gotta agree with stjimmy456. Everybody is entitled to their opinions and theories, but gimme a break. Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson stuck their necks out in replacing Pierce Brosnan and re-booting the series to make it relevant to the times and ensure its longevity. If they wanted to just make one last score and ride off into the sunset they could have done another film with Pierce. Also, wealthy people in the entertainment industry like to keep making lots of money and enjoy the power and control that goes along with it. If EON wanted to bag it, they could just sell their share of Bond. I also have a feeling that EON would really like to be rid of MGM once and for all.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    stjimmy456 wrote:

I must have missed when this thread turned into 'Let's see who can quote the most moronic sources who chat the most rubbish.'

You seriously believe Michael G. Wilson makes Bond movies purposely in lesser known cities just to pocket the budget ? Are you crazy ! Michael's been working on Bond for years ! His heart is well and truly in these movies, if it wasn't, he'd have canned it after Albert died.

Please don't re-blog such drivel, whoever wrote that is a total moron.

Gee, I thought the idea of a blog site is for people to share their opinions and information related to the topic in the thread. In this case, an AJB member found something of interest and shared it which resulted in numerous posts commenting on the article. Therefore, I would say the post had merit, you thought the article was rubbish and said so, which is fine, but to state it should not have shared is likewise rubbish.