Bond23 Officially Suspended

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited July 2010
    Given the current production climate at MGM ( 8-) ), I don't think there are any lines of speculation that are out-of-bounds...

Nature abhors a vacuum, and the suspension/cancellation/scrapping of the next James Bond film creates just that---a vacuum, and it will be filled with something. It's highly unfortunate that the incompetent, swivel-headed jackals who ran MGM into the ground have created a situation where the owners of the Bond franchise might have their enthusiasm for their property called into question (!), but there you go.

In the absence of extended commentary from Mr. Wilson or Ms. Broccoli, speculation will naturally run its course...and even if/when Eon comments in detail, their motives/veracity will still be called into question. C'est la guerre.

I'd rather be talking about the next Bond project being in development...but MGM seems, to me, to be the ones who've cocked that up X-(
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • stjimmy456stjimmy456 Manchester, EnglandPosts: 75MI6 Agent
    stjimmy456 wrote:
    Some interesting insight - or at least, something I agree with - on aintitcool. Not Harry's 'news' story, but Rebeck2's opinion some way down the page.

http://www.aintitcool.com/talkback_display/45670#comment_3426985

I'm a Lifelong Bond Fanatic

And, through my work, I have some connections to the people who make the films - and I have to put forth a theory here that I don't think anyone seems to be picking up on. The Broccolis, that is Barbara and her stepbrother Michael Wilson, are in complete control of Bond and seem to be using MGM's status as an excuse to stop making the films. Why would they do that? Because they're greedy and lazy and they're tired. This is a family business they inherited and thus they never had the same passion (or, IMHO, the creative understanding) for that their father did. They have swung like a pendulum trying to guess what the public wants, but they don't seem to truly "get" what makes their hero/franchise so special. But on every film they have made these unbelievable "Producer Fees" above and beyond their ownership of the franchise and they are filthy **** rich. Ever wonder why Bond doesn't seem to end up in a major city anymore, like Bourne does? Because instead of putting the money "back on the screen" the way Cubby did, they put it all in their pockets. They don't really care that much, but they are also confused by the mixed responses they get their flailing. (QOS was a good film that could have been great, IMO, with just a better edit) It's not unlike what happened after Licence To Kill. Cubby stopped making the films not because he was in the middle of a lawsuit - that is the PR myth that Bond fans have been repeating for years - no, he was tired. Dalton's second film was the closest thing the series had to an outright box office bomb. His stepson was in charge and running this great series into the ground. Wilson wrote a script all by himself...Cubby read it and rejected it...and a six year "hiatus" was born. At that point, Cubby was old and didn't want the grief, wanted a break after 25 years of making Bond movies. I think the same thing is happening now. I think these two just want to do nothing and enjoy life. It could be the development of the new script wasn't going very well, or it just presented choices they were tired of making. But they have the right to take Bond anywhere they want. This MGM situation just gives them an excuse to go on holiday. I'm not demonizing them. They're just very very rich and this business is not something that's really in their veins - it could be a chain of hardware stores for all they really care. I say this not just as a fan, but as somebody who has known people working on the films. So... While I'm very disappointed, I'm wondering if maybe this isn't the beginning of the Broccolis selling off Bond altogether and getting out of the 007 business. I hope so. I think the series would benefit from the stewardship of someone new and fresh and who really loves it. That's my two cents. Sorry for the long post, guys.

I must have missed when this thread turned into 'Let's see who can quote the most moronic sources who chat the most rubbish.'

You seriously believe Michael G. Wilson makes Bond movies purposely in lesser known cities just to pocket the budget ? Are you crazy ! Michael's been working on Bond for years ! His heart is well and truly in these movies, if it wasn't, he'd have canned it after Albert died.

Please don't re-blog such drivel, whoever wrote that is a total moron.

Gee, I thought the idea of a blog site is for people to share their opinions and information related to the topic in the thread. In this case, an AJB member found something of interest and shared it which resulted in numerous posts commenting on the article. Therefore, I would say the post had merit, you thought the article was rubbish and said so, which is fine, but to state it should not have shared is likewise rubbish.

I just don't see how a post which implies that Michael G. Wilson has botched the Bond franchise on purpose to have an early retirement has any merit at all.

It's literally nonsense. MGM is having financial problems, and as a result Bond's immediate future is currently uncertain -- how that has turned into slagging off the producers, I have no idea.

"They're just very very rich and this business is not something that's really in their veins - it could be a chain of hardware stores for all they really care."

Michael is Cubby's step-son and Barbara is his daughter ! Rubbish.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Unfortunately because it was Harry Saltzman's half of Bond that was sold to United Artists there was no clause in the contract that if one of the partners could no longer financially contribute to the production, that the other partner would have the right of first refusal to buy out the insolvent partners or broker a deal for another party to buy out said insolvent partner. Obviously there was nothing to gain for old Harry in trying to include such a clause; he took the money and moved on....good for him but not good for EON and Bond down the line.
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,230MI6 Agent
    I still cannot believe people actually think that Bond #23 is dead in the water just because of some tabloid news story.

Until I read a conformation from Eon Productions than I refuse to believe it. As for the sale of MGM, it is going to happen soon. I highly doubt the bank/ creditors will give them another extension, after five attempts have lead to nothing. MGM has no money coming currently with production both Bond #23 and the Hobbit stalled, and the Red Dawn remake not coming out until November.

By next week we should have a better understanding of where MGM is money wise, when their extension ends.
    PPK 7.65mm wrote:
    I still cannot believe people actually think that Bond #23 is dead in the water just because of some tabloid news story.

Until I read a conformation from Eon Productions than I refuse to believe it. As for the sale of MGM, it is going to happen soon. I highly doubt the bank/ creditors will give them another extension, after five attempts have lead to nothing. MGM has no money coming currently with production both Bond #23 and the Hobbit stalled, and the Red Dawn remake not coming out until November.

By next week we should have a better understanding of where MGM is money wise, when their extension ends.

Precisely; the press isn't distinguishing between MGM and Bond -- MGM is dead in the water in terms of finances, and suddenly the Bond franchise is.

I'm quite excited to see who purchases MGM.
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    PPK 7.65mm wrote:

But they will give MGM another extension. The creditors, who now call the shots, want their money back, if they call some kind of ultimatum and demand a resolution they will only lose out on the debt, so even though MGM is financially screwed they can keep asking for extentions on their debts for as long as they want because the debt holders actually want their money back.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,332Chief of Staff
    Just a small point- MGW and BB aren't step-siblings as stated above but half-siblings. They share the same mother -Dana Wilson/Broccoli- but different fathers (Michael's father Lewis was once Batman, trivia fans).
    Barbel wrote:
    Just a small point- MGW and BB aren't step-siblings as stated above but half-siblings. They share the same mother -Dana Wilson/Broccoli- but different fathers (Michael's father Lewis was once Batman, trivia fans).

I said Michael was Albert's step-son and Barbara was his daughter, so that's right isn't it ?

I wish the whatever-siblings would make a press statement concerning Bond, maybe they're waiting until MGM's future is certain before they address Bond's future -- something the press should be doing too instead of gossiping.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,332Chief of Staff
    stjimmy456 wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

I said Michael was Albert's step-son and Barbara was his daughter, so that's right isn't it ?

Yup, that's right; other posts had Michael as Barbara's stepbrother rather than half-brother.
    I just saw this on the MI6 Site "Gossip Cop - a site that specializes in shooting down false media rumours - got a quote from a source close to Craig on the current "Bond axed" controversy. They said, "The situation remains exactly the same as for the last many months. The filmmakers formally announced then that the current production of Bond 23 was being postponed due to the issues relating to the sale of MGM. Nothing has changed and production is only postponed, not canceled.” For the full article check out MI6. I hope this is correct.
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    I just saw this on the MI6 Site "Gossip Cop - a site that specializes in shooting down false media rumours - got a quote from a source close to Craig on the current "Bond axed" controversy. They said, "The situation remains exactly the same as for the last many months. The filmmakers formally announced then that the current production of Bond 23 was being postponed due to the issues relating to the sale of MGM. Nothing has changed and production is only postponed, not canceled.” For the full article check out MI6. I hope this is correct.

Here is the link to that: http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=8720&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Let us hope this is true. I am one to believe it is. The rumour mill has done it again. :#
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    I'm not believing anything until the psychic octopus is consulted on this matter.
    Althought the 'Gossip Cop' is most likely right, I'm still not impressed that his evidence to counter the tabloid's "anonymous quote" is "a quote from a source close to Craig" ?:) .

So is it a case of my anonymous source is better than yours ?
  • ClarkeyClarkey FrancePosts: 32MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    I'm not believing anything until the psychic octopus is consulted on this matter.

It never miss ! :)) (Dexter Smythe must be jealous...)

I'll be please to remind their words to all of those people who claim the cancellation is only a rumor ...We have a saying in France : "No smoke without a fire."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,277MI6 Agent
    06-26-octopus-paul_full_380.jpg

I'd like to be
    Under the sea
    Figuring out the date of
    Bond 23...
    :)

We would sing and dance around...
    But Babs and Mickey
    Just can't be found
    :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    For the time being I think the more interesting question that this discussion has brought forward is surrounding if Eon 'get' Bond rather than the current status or fate of 23. We are in 'no-mans land' and possibly will be for some time. I disagree that Babs and Michael are bored with Bond, as the re-boot was seriously risky business and Daniel (certainly at the time) a far from obvious choice. The safe option would have been more business as usual, but without invisible cars, steady as she goes...The process of re-imaginingg Bond for the 21st Century is still very much work in progress in my view. Up until CR the blueprint in terms of type and class of Bond had pretty much remained as a 50's model, with light revision with Brosnan (sexist Dinosour and all that...) You can (and I have elsewhere) argued that in some respects the Pendulum swung too far, with Bond loosing much of his panache in pursuit of toughness/grit.
    I see this as part of the process in ensuring that Bond remains meaningful to a contemporary audience while not loosing his esscence or 'Bondness'

I think that 23 would/will have settled the position and brought back enough familiar touches without loosing what has really worked in the reboot. If Babs and Michael can pull this off it will be a major achievement. I get worried sometimes particularly by odd comments from Babs (Sean Bean as a potential Bond for example) which sometimes causes me to wonder about her understanding... However I really do believe that 23 will be the deciding movie. I hope it goes ahead with Craig, as a new actor in the mix would loose this sense of momentum.
  • ClarkeyClarkey FrancePosts: 32MI6 Agent
    I'd like to be
    Under the sea
    Figuring out the date of
    Bond 23...
    :)

We would sing and dance around...
    But Babs and Mickey
    Just can't be found
    :D

:)) Such a poet you are ! Very strong !
    John Drake wrote:

True. He is THE authority right now.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Here's an article suggesting the cancellation talk is hysteria.

http://miseensceneblog.tumblr.com/post/789225499/james-bond-not-kia-but-still-mia
    Well it appears that while nothing has really been resolved, that Bond will get back on track once the MGM mess is sorted out. Interesting how the tabs can play around with a little semantics ('suspended" gets turned into "dead", "cancelled", etc) and then takes on a life of its own. If it is accurate, its nice to know that Craig and Mendes are still comitted to Bond 23 (of course DC does have a contract). It's doubly frustrating for most Bond fans who thought they got it right with CR, lost there way a bit with QOS and have high hopes that they can learn from their mistakes and rebound with another great Bond film for 23.
    There is so much stuff flying around at the moment I really don't know what to believe.

What do you say, how about we AJBers take up a collection and try to buy out MGM?

It can't be worth that much now can it?

Then maybe we can all start taking the series in the direction we've always wanted, and always agreed upon, together! {[]

Who is in?
  • 007007 ClassifiedPosts: 372MI6 Agent
    There is so much stuff flying around at the moment I really don't know what to believe.

What do you say, how about we AJBers take up a collection and try to buy out MGM?

Then maybe we can all start taking the series in the direction we've always wanted, and always agreed upon, together! {[]

Who is in?

Yes, yes, yes I'm in for sure...
    Things I hate:
    1. People who hate things.
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent

Who is in?

:)) :)) really? You think we could come up with something that we all agree on..... oh, hang on, is that a pig I see..... yes it is, and look, it's flying ;)
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:

Who is in?

:)) :)) really? You think we could come up with something that we all agree on..... oh, hang on, is that a pig I see..... yes it is, and look, it's flying ;)
    The behind-the-scenes video would rival that Gilliam movie about trying to film Don Quixote in Spain with Depp... yikes!
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Just read a blurb that said Carl Icahn, who is the largest shareholder in Lion Gates and is fighting management for control of the company,has signed an agreement with Lions Gate management to work tgether on mergers. What I found odd, was that the agreement only lasts for 10 days, through July 19th. Since the MGM debt payment is due July 14th and they don't have the money,it seemed to me the merger target for Lions Gate is MGM. Your source for this is no friend of an insider, just me putting two and two together. I could very well be wrong, just my hunch that Lions Gate will announce a merger this week.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Works for me, Barry -{ At ths point, I'm all about alacrity...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    I'd prefer if it was the deep pockets of Sony but anything that gets Bond 23 back on track works for me.
  • 007007 ClassifiedPosts: 372MI6 Agent
    Lions Gate said to approach MGM creditors on purchase - source mi6.co.uk:
    http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=8734&t=mi6&s=news
    Things I hate:
    1. People who hate things.
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.