Chris Nolan Would Love to Direct a Bond Film

John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
Christopher Nolan has expressed an interest in directing a James Bond film according to Movieline. They got the quote from an interview Nolan did with Auntie Beeb.

With the breathless hyperbole surrounding Inception only just beginning, it would surprise exactly no one if a film critic found a way to compare Christopher Nolan’s self-proclaimed dream heist epic to James Bond. Like you couldn’t picture “Inception is The Matrix mixed with James Bond, oxygen and gold bars!” scrolling across a TV spot next week? But even if Nolan was busy aping the dapper British agent with a license to kill, it seems that his ultimate goal is to direct the dapper British agent with a license to kill. Yes, this is Bond rumor — but for once, it seems legit!

Nolan told the BBC:

I’ve loved the Bond films since I was a kid. For me, they’re always about the expansiveness of cinema. The first Bond films set up infinite possibilities about the world they create. I’d love to do a Bond film.

See? He actually said it! And to the BBC, not The Sun or The Daily Mail. Of course with MGM in a turnaround, when he’d get to do a Bond film remains unclear. The indefinite delay may or may not cost the production Daniel Craig and Sam Mendes, meaning that Nolan’s opportunity to direct James Bond might be a decade away. After all, he still has to do another Batman too. Still, this is fun speculation for a Friday. For instance: Can you just imagine how Nolan would have Hans Zimmer re-work the James Bond theme? Cue dissonant whole notes!

http://www.movieline.com/2010/07/christopher-nolan-wants-to-direct-james-bond.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Just imagine if MGM could actually afford this. :#

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    Nice find JD. Except...

It's like the old story of how Roger Moore ran into Spielberg in the late 1970s, at the zenith of his prestige. The new kid on the block revealed how he'd love to do a Bond film. Armed with this bit of info, Moore mentioned it to Broccoli who just replied, "Yeah, but think of the percentage he's going to want..." And that was that.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,279MI6 Agent
    I think Nolan would be a splendid choice but I can't see Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson ever giving a director like Nolan a crack at Bond. They (and Broccoli before them) have historically gone for the relatively unknown, safe, workmanlike directors who's names wouldn't eclipse the character, and could get the films in on time and on budget with a minimum of fuss and fanfare, and who would defer to the producers on creative and budgetary decisions.

A director like Nolan would probably want a greater degree of freedom and autonomy to do his own thing and I don't think he'd get that from the current regime. Great idea but I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    I enjoy Nolan's work a great deal...but NP and Tony are correct. 'Star' directors want a piece of the back end (that's for you, NP :D )...plus a degree of artistic control Eon cannot seem to abide---and when they do, in rare cases like Marc Forster's editing strategy in QoS, the benefits are IMO dubious. Still, guys like Sam Mendes and Forster are nearly star directors, but seemingly just idiosyncratic enough to make the producers feel more 'artsy'...

I'd also like to see either of the Scott brothers have a go at Bond as well...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    I would also love to see Nolan direct a Bond film. Sadly, as most of you have pointed out, it's probably not going to happen. Doesn't stop me from dreaming about it though.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond +++ Classified +++Posts: 569MI6 Agent
    I just watched inseption and could not stop thinking throughout the whole film that Nolan could do an amazing job with James Bond. He could make it INCREDIBLE!!
    The name's Bond_James_Bond
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Not a fan of Nolan's work, rather he not make a Bond film.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    It's very Bondian in tone in places. Bond upgraded, as all new Bond should be. There's a great footchase, blistering you might say. :)) Though imo it's more exciting because the hero is being pursued and therefore in mortal danger whereas in Craig's two footchases, he is the one in pursuit so really he could just say oh, what the hell... I think I'll stop off at this pizza joint.

But watching this amazing (though not always wholly enjoyable ) film I couldn't help but think that Bond would just be a backward step for Nolan, B-movie stuff in comparison no matter how hard you try. The concept just seems too antiquated in contrast to Inception. I can't see what Nolan would take from it or bring to it. I think he's just doing that thing of mentioning Bond because that's what everyone does, from singers to wannabe actors, as a publicity thing.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    But watching this amazing (though not always wholly enjoyable ) film I couldn't help but think that Bond would just be a backward step for Nolan, B-movie stuff in comparison no matter how hard you try. The concept just seems too antiquated in contrast to Inception. I can't see what Nolan would take from it or bring to it.

Wellllll. . .one could say the same thing about Batman, but look at what Nolan brought to that: seriousness, complexity, a redefinition (but not rewriting or rejection) of classic characters, style, and class. I think Nolan could make a very good Bond film, but I don't have my hopes up that he'll ever direct one.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • LiamLiam Now where was I? Let me see...Posts: 50MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    But watching this amazing (though not always wholly enjoyable ) film I couldn't help but think that Bond would just be a backward step for Nolan, B-movie stuff in comparison no matter how hard you try. The concept just seems too antiquated in contrast to Inception. I can't see what Nolan would take from it or bring to it.

Wellllll. . .one could say the same thing about Batman, but look at what Nolan brought to that: seriousness, complexity, a redefinition (but not rewriting or rejection) of classic characters, style, and class. I think Nolan could make a very good Bond film, but I don't have my hopes up that he'll ever direct one.

Aw, c'mon. There's still so much time, Nolan's still so young. Ample opportunity for him to do one. If it's in the cards at all (and I wouldn't know a reason why it shouldn't be) then Nolan will sooner or later get a go.

My greater concern would be that it could take so long that Nolan could lose his terrific edge in the meantime, become burned out or fed up with the whole business and only delivers a workmanlike film. That would be a shame. If Nolan, then I want him in his absolute prime for Bond.
    I'm not young enough to know everything.
    Wilde
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,709MI6 Agent
    Nolan directing Daniel Craig an a Bond movie would be a dream come true, an instant classic!
  • Hannibal_SmithHannibal_Smith Posts: 14MI6 Agent
    I'd have loved to see a Bond movie directed by Spielberg, and I'd love to see one directed by Nolan. So what if those directors would ask for a lot of dough... they're worth it.
  • Ricardo C.Ricardo C. Posts: 916MI6 Agent
    edited August 2010
    I have to disagree with Nolan directing any future Bond film. No, I have not enjoyed what he had done with Batman and letting him direct a Bond film would be a mistake IMO. Get a director who would bring some colour into the series.

I know people would probably think I am crazy but I think Frank Oz could bring something better to the table. Anyone who thinks he can only do comedy should watch The Score; It had that, stylish, laid-back 1960's flavour which is perfectly suited for JB. Steven Soderbergh would also be a wise choice.
    Sam Riami is also another good choice. I think he could bring some of the camp value back into the series in a sensible way.
  • GothamKnight1902GothamKnight1902 Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    Before Nolan made a name for himself by directing Batman, he could've directed Bond back then when he was just an unknown "indenpendant" director. But now he has reached Steven Spielberg status. And that greedy bastard Chubby Broccoli didn't give Spielberg the time of day. Even though Spielberg was far from the no-talent hacks that Broccoli was hiring at the time....(In terms of skill. Obviously. B-))
    Before Nolan made a name for himself by directing Batman, he could've directed Bond back then when he was just an unknown "indenpendant" director. But now he has reached Steven Spielberg status. And that greedy bastard Chubby Broccoli didn't give Spielberg the time of day. Even though Spielberg was far from the no-talent hacks that Broccoli was hiring at the time....(In terms of skill. Obviously. B-))

I heard Speilberg was to direct For Your Eyes Only actually but he passed it up for Indiana Jones.
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    Since we're talking about Christopher Nolan, we might as well bring Cillian Murphy into the franchise as well. As a villain of course...
    Since we're talking about Christopher Nolan, we might as well bring Cillian Murphy into the franchise as well. As a villain of course...

Though I enjoy Murphy, he's a tad too young to be a villian right now.
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    As the arch-nemesis, sure, but he'd be a great creepy henchman. Of course, he pretty much already played that role in Batman Begins, I suppose.
    As the arch-nemesis, sure, but he'd be a great creepy henchman. Of course, he pretty much already played that role in Batman Begins, I suppose.

I honestly thought he was wasted in Batman Begins. He pops around every so often with his fear gas and by the climax of the film he was reduced to being a mere henchmen for the very bland Ras Al Ghul.
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    In an interview with Empire Magazine Christopher Nolan reiterates that he is serious about the prospect of directing a Bond film saying that he has met with the producers in the past. "It would have to be the right situation and the right time in their cycle of things." This suggests that Nolan would only direct if he gets to make a fresh start with a new Bond actor.

Christopher Nolan Would Still Like To Do A Bond At Some Point
    http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/christopher-nolan-says-his-howard-hughes-film-is-dead-but-hed-still-like-to-do-a-bond-film-at-some-point-20120604?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed#

MT: I doubt very much it will ever happen but I would love to see Christopher Nolan direct a Bond film. For me, he's just about the best director out there right now. I would be confident that he and his brother Jonathan would devise a script/story more than worthy of a Bond film.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,737MI6 Agent
    I wonder if Nolan has in mind what he did with Batman ......direct a trilogy of Bond films when Craig's replacement comes on board down the road in maybe 5 years. The problem I foresee is EON will not be willing to give that level of control to a director. Nolan would probably want to pick the next actor to play Bond and have pretty much total control over the films including being a producer. I just don't see EON handing over the keys to the family business to anyone. That being said, I do believe that EON has eased up and apparently given Sam Mendes more control (ie allowing him to choose his own DP, writer, and composer) but it still appears to be very much a collaborative effort.
  • jasper_lamar_crabbjasper_lamar_crabb Posts: 169MI6 Agent
    We should not forget about one of Nolan's major failings - he cannot direct action.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Eon gave Marc Forster total control over QOS. :))
    I think it also says alot that he doesn't want to continue with old DC. :v
    I keep reading that C Nolan can't direct action, I must be missing something
    as I've always been happy with his work. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
    im also puzzled by the 'cant direct action'.

if Nolan did this, it would be spectacular.
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Halcon wrote:

2nd unit usually handles the action, but Nolan does not in my view have a problem with action/set pieces. Would love to see his take, and particularly interested in who he would see as Bond.
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    zaphod wrote:
    Halcon wrote:

2nd unit usually handles the action, but Nolan does not in my view have a problem with action/set pieces. Would love to see his take, and particularly interested in who he would see as Bond.

Christopher Nolan directs all of his movies. Including the action stuff. No 2nd unit for him. He mentioned this in a recent DGA interview.

I was going to start a topic for this. Good thing I searched. Christopher Nolan would make an awesome Bond film. Probably one of the best if he got the chance. I've said it before somewhere on this forum. But that Inception ski scene was one of the best big Bond sequences in a while. There are Bond moments throughout Nolan's Batman films and Inception.

I would also say going from Inception that Christopher Nolan could create an awesome, classic Mission: Impossible film. However, both the Bond and Mission: Impossible franchises have people so intrenched to make modern action stuff that we would be extremely lucky to get Nolan directing these films. We are probably lucky that we even got Inception.
    "Better late than never."
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,737MI6 Agent
    Eon gave Marc Forster total control over QOS. :))
    I think it also says alot that he doesn't want to continue with old DC. :v
    I keep reading that C Nolan can't direct action, I must be missing something
    as I've always been happy with his work. ;)

I think you may be reading a little bit much into this. Nolan never said he didn't want to direct DC as Bond.
    Nolan's a control guy and probably has a vision for how he would make a Bond film and would probably want to re-boot like he did with Batman or it could simply just be a timing issue.

I also don't get the Nolan "can't direct action" thing.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    I think Christopher Nolan would make an entertaining Bond film and might bring some modern angst to the story that gives it more edge. That said, I've never been terribly impressed with him for creativity; he cribbed a lot of the visual sense for Batman Begins from films like Blade Runner, and The Dark Knight borrowed a lot from Heat. His influences are obviously movies from the past few decades. The issue isn't that he's such a great director so much as so many others are pedestrian. When I think of great directors, names like John Ford, Akira Kurosawa, David Lean, and Stanley Kubrick come to mind. Nolan, like Steven Spielberg, has essentially elevated the B movie to greater levels through a combination of choosing franchises that we're familiar with/stories that ring familiar and giant budgets to realize the visuals. But a great director doesn't need all that. Ford could take a person's breath away with a vista of the southwest -- he didn't have to CGI it into reality; he could show a cavalry troop winding its way through that setting and somehow make it poetic. The early Bond films had some of this when they showed cityscapes. More modern films are less poetic and more obvious in their presentation, and I don't know that Nolan adds a great deal to change that.
  • Trigger_MortisTrigger_Mortis Posts: 100MI6 Agent
    I've always wanted to see Craig perform with a deeper voice ;) But yeah, Nolan is one of my favourite directors at the moment. He's a great choice, especially if you want some atmosphere in the film.
  • GordoLeiterGordoLeiter Posts: 462MI6 Agent
    Of course Nolan would most likely cast the same people from his previous films. Lenoardo Dicaprio as Bond, Tom Hardy as Q, etc.