Chris Nolan Would Love to Direct a Bond Film

2»

Comments

• Trigger_MortisTrigger_Mortis Posts: 100MI6 Agent
    Of course Nolan would most likely cast the same people from his previous films. Lenoardo Dicaprio as Bond, Tom Hardy as Q, etc.

Michael Caine as Q ;) "Naow paiii attensshen, Bond!"
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    With Bond adding "It was Only supposed to Blow the Bloody Doors Off " :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Agent007jamestAgent007jamest usaPosts: 163MI6 Agent
    edited July 2012
    Loved the dark knight trilogy & inception. he would be great but it will never happen except for in my dream that's inside your dream that's inside Daniel Craigs dream. :s
  • GordoLeiterGordoLeiter Posts: 462MI6 Agent
    Loved the dark knight trilogy & inception. he would be great but it will never happen except for in my dream that's inside your dream that's inside Daniel Craigs dream. :s

Or a dream sequence where Craig encounters all of the past Bonds :P

Craig Bond : Who the hell are you guys?
    Connery,Dalton,Lazenby,Moore : THE NAME IS BOND, JAMES BOND!
    Craig : :o :o
  • LukeLuke USAPosts: 99MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    I think Nolan would be a splendid choice but I can't see Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson ever giving a director like Nolan a crack at Bond. They (and Broccoli before them) have historically gone for the relatively unknown, safe, workmanlike directors who's names wouldn't eclipse the character, and could get the films in on time and on budget with a minimum of fuss and fanfare, and who would defer to the producers on creative and budgetary decisions.

A director like Nolan would probably want a greater degree of freedom and autonomy to do his own thing and I don't think he'd get that from the current regime. Great idea but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Agreed. Bond has always been a producer's series. I don't think auteurism really has a place in it. At least it would be unprecedented. A personality like Christopher Nolan would dominate the production. The result might be interesting, but it wouldn't be Bond as we know it, or as the producers want it to be. I could see something like this happening only if the series gets really sunk, and I don't see that happening any time soon.
    It's all right. It's quite all right, really. She's having a rest. We'll be going on soon. There's no hurry, you see. We have all the time in the world.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,593Chief of Staff
    Luke wrote:
    Agreed. Bond has always been a producer's series. I don't think auteurism really has a place in it. At least it would be unprecedented.

I think Terrence Young put his stamp all over Dr. No (plus FRWL & TB) - and, therefore, the series as a whole....so maybe it's not quite as 'unprecedented' as we may think....?...
    YNWA 97
  • Agent007jamestAgent007jamest usaPosts: 163MI6 Agent
    I think with a director of Nolan stature it will ultimately be a financial thing and does he really want to do a Bond. I have seen interviews since Batman Begins where Nolan has mentioned his love for '60's Bond. It is cool that he has become very vocal on the heels of TDKR (which I just seen and is a spectacular film!). I hope MGM / Columbia doesn't pass on this opportunity and at least offers Bond 24 to him. Coming off TDKR if a Bond was to be the next film he directs could you imagine the press it would receive. :o Hopefully for the good of Mr. Bond Broccoli & Wilson would be willing to temporally turn over the reins for a couple films
  • LukeLuke USAPosts: 99MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I think Terrence Young put his stamp all over Dr. No (plus FRWL & TB) - and, therefore, the series as a whole....so maybe it's not quite as 'unprecedented' as we may think....?...

And Sam Mendes certainly does his own thing with QoS. I agree that a director's style and personality will inevitably rub off on the production in certain ways. But Bond has never been Hitchcock, even when FRWL comes stylistically close to The Man Who Knew Too Much. A director may leave their fingerprints, but their personality and influence are always subdued.

Also, I haven't seen anything by Terence Young outside of the Bonds. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions. :)
    It's all right. It's quite all right, really. She's having a rest. We'll be going on soon. There's no hurry, you see. We have all the time in the world.
    And Sam Mendes certainly does his own thing with QoS.

He kept quiet about that. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I think that, since GoldenEye, the producers have loosened up their anti-auteur approach a bit. They've had a different director for every film--only Martin Campbell has directed two, and those weren't back-to-back--and most of them have been noted or even acclaimed for their earlier films (namely Oscar-winner Sam Mendes, Michael Apted and--yes--Lee Tamahori); and the directors have been allowed their own preferred editors, production designers, even composers and title-design artists. I think that if Nolan came aboard Broccoli and Wilson would give him a list of things he absolutely cannot mess with; otherwise, it's carte blanche. No literary reference intended.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    I think it's worth remembering that two of the best Bond movies have been delivered by the non Auteur Director Martin ' hack' Campbell. The acclaimed Forster gave us the lamentable/inspired QOS. There is a whiff of Emperors new clothes with Nolan. He is no doubt an accomplished Director, but for me his best was sometime ago. I enjoyed Inception for the lush hokum it was and have not yet seen DKR. I have no doubt that he could make a good and possibly even great contribution, but he's not a guarantee of a great film. Personally I'd like to see Campbell back, but we probably have to wait for a new Bond for that. Script and narrative are at least as important to me. That said I'm optimisic about Skyfall.
  • 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    Someone else pointed this out and i kinda agree , i think Nolan just made a Bond film. Its called The Dark Knight Rises, just substitute Bond for Batman.
    There's no Subitute for Batman. :))

At my local multiplex I joked with the manager as he put up a,
    "Batman Sold Out" sign

" Batman would never sell out, he's too much of a hero for that " ;)
  • WildeWilde Oxford, UKPosts: 621MI6 Agent
    I like Nolan as a director, but his style tends to resonate in everything he does. Martin Campbell needs to do more Bond, although I think he sticks to reboots; would be interesting to see his metal tested with subsequent films.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
    Want Chris Nolan back, and that's even before seeing Skyfall. Mind you, the Yanks have it good - being released over there in November, if Skyfall is a turkey, it can be a Thanksgiving turkey.... :D

Ay thang yew...

Would like Danny Boyle for a lighter Craig Bond perhaps, thing about Nolan is, he does dark and I think SF might be pretty dark also, not sure about more of the same.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    The Dark Knight Rises and Skyfall special effects supervisor Chris Courbold has been talking about Christopher Nolan in an interview with Digital Spy. "Chris is a great fan of Bond films. We spend a lot of time analysing them, him interrogating me on why things were done in certain Bond films. I've done 13 Bonds, so I've got quite a history with them. I think he likes the way they are made, some better than others. The end part of the third act in Inception was his little homage to Bond. I would love to see him do one. I think he would make an extraordinary Bond (film). Having seen Skyfall, that's a tough act to follow."

'Dark Knight Rises' Christopher Nolan 'would make a great Bond film'
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a440974/dark-knight-rises-christopher-nolan-would-make-a-great-bond-film.html
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)