Who Should be the Quantum Group's Leader?

Comments

• Ricardo C.Ricardo C. Posts: 916MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    Ricardo C. wrote:
    jonathan pryce. :p

It's a shame he already played a villian. Pryce, Walken, and noted character actor Vincent Schiavelli were simply wasted in their Bond features. I am so glad Bruno Ganz was not wasted as the absurdly banal Dominque Greene.

Walken wasted?! Zorin was an amazing villain! The man even laughs before he dies, true psycho!

He had no passion, no drive. It's the lousy writing that screwed Walken over but he did the best that he could.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    They need someone who works against type.

Years ago, the actor Jan Weirich was selected to play Blofeld but replaced by Donald Pleasance purportedly because the former looked too much like "Father Christmas." To me, that would have been even creepier than having a bald, scarred caricature of a villain, provided that the actor could convey the internal evil the character represents.

If he were still alive, Dan O'Herlihy might be the sort who could convey this quality, as he was adept at playing characters as sympathetic as Robinson Crusoe as he was villains: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmGUKl-gkIE&feature=related

They should go with someone who shows ambition in his eyes and glimpses of cold-bloodedness in his expressions but otherwise is unthreatening -- like an actual corporate CEO. Daniel Day Lewis had exactly this quality in There Will be Blood, but he is too well-known and perhaps youthful despite his age to be interesting as a Bond villain. The Bond films should look to lesser-known actors so we can discover them, much like Quentin Tarantino provided audiences with Christoph Waltz, who might have been an interesting choice if he wasn't already so infamous for the other movie.

I'd prefer Europeans over Asians or Latinos for the villain, not just to avoid the B-movie ethnocentrism but because it seems more in keeping with the notion of the old colonial world trying to imperially control the globe in whatever way it can.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    For going against type and Keeping the British end Up, How about Hugh Grant or Colin Firth as the Head of Quantum.I'm sure they'd love a chance to play against their "jolly good fellows" Image.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • THORNYBUSHTHORNYBUSH EnglandPosts: 19MI6 Agent
    For going against type and Keeping the British end Up, How about Hugh Grant or Colin Firth as the Head of Quantum.I'm sure they'd love a chance to play against their "jolly good fellows" Image.

If I had to pick one it would be Firth, he has the brooding undercurrent required. Grant I'm afraid lost all credibility when he did 'Music and Lyrics' (his dancing still haunts me). IMO.
  • MoreMorePowahMoreMorePowah Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    It'd be kind of fun if M turned out to be the head of Quantum. :D The sight of Bond having to put a bullet in his "mother" would be memorable, if nothing else!
    Hi MoreMorePowah, I'd love to see Bond Shoot M In the Face :)) It would be Memorable
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • DJ007DJ007 United StatesPosts: 174MI6 Agent
    I think M would make sense. It would explain how she survived at the beginning of QOS.
  • Hannibal_SmithHannibal_Smith Posts: 14MI6 Agent
    Favorite idea I've read on here so far: Malcolm McDowell. I've only seen him in two movies, Star Trek: Generations and a Russian action film: neither movie was worth writing home about, but he played a terrific villain in both of them. I'd be happy to see him in a Bond film.

But I also agree with the person who said Quantum shouldn't have one leader - make it more like a hydra. With McDowell as one of the more important heads.
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    I don't know if he should be the Quantum group leader but Hakeem Kae-Kazim continues to play awesome bad guys. He was in 24, Lost, and the most recent episode of NCIS LA. He has a great menacing smile that would be perfect for a Bond bad guy.
    "Better late than never."
  • Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    It'd be kind of fun if M turned out to be the head of Quantum. :D The sight of Bond having to put a bullet in his "mother" would be memorable, if nothing else!

Absoluely!

Brilliant idea!

So if not Mister White, then M!

It would indeed explain a lot about what happened in QoS.
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    I'd love to see a FYEO/TLD type set up, where the "real" villain is initially believed by MI-6 to be an ally, directs Bond to go after a "fake"/lesser of the two evils villain who later allies with 007 when they both realize that the "real" villain is Quantum's Blofeld-type figure. I love the idea of Langella as the "real" villain and Robert Vaughn as the "fake" villain who becomes an ally.
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    They need someone who works against type.

Peter Capaldi - completley against type - but has that menace about him....
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Red IndianRed Indian BostonPosts: 427MI6 Agent
    M did appear to get shot during the opening of Quantum, didn't she? Was that a continuity/editing error?
    Red Indian wrote:
    M did appear to get shot during the opening of Quantum, didn't she? Was that a continuity/editing error?

That doesn't mean she is innocent.

I always believed that there was more to the "He was dead before you passed him on the stairs" bit.

"I passed him on the stairs?" she said innocently, knowing full well that it was her that killed him... :v
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Enough with the Quantum...by the time 23 comes out do we or Eon seriously expect that a general (non Bond nut) audience is going to remember or care. I really really hope that 23 has the courage to be a new non self referential mission for Bond. Not a revenge story, or a continuation of what was at best only a sketch in both CR and QOS. I know that some see the lack of definition and detail around Quantum as a strength that makes them 'mysterious' or 'shadowy' and open to interpretation, and as such a suitably Post- Modern advsersary for Bond. For me they are a pale imitation of SPECTRE.

I for one would like Bond to move forward. Another Quantum based story would be a signal that the re-boot has lapsed into comfortable continuation.
    I love to see Bond have a Little fun ( not too much mind as it is a gritty reboot :)) ). have a two hour adventure with a great pts, then the gun barrel, Decent opening song and titles. Then into the story about a Big villain up to no good for the free world, a large henchman who looks like he could break Bond in two. Bond getting it on with at least Three major Babes. Even stick in a couple of huge action sequences with an odd stunt or two. -{
    But I feel it ain't going to happen, the Quantum story will be completed with Bond getting all "Emo" over Vesper etc. M teaching Bond a lesson on trusting people, some more running across rooftops/building sites sort of thing. ( their bound to have a few ideas left over from CR & QOS ).
    Can't say I'm getting very excited over Bond 23 so far, No real facts being released just rumors. I expect it to be more of the same, Which some will like and others not, and nothing wrong with that "You pays your money,and you takes your choice !" :))
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    God I miss the Cold War...
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    I love to see Bond have a Little fun ( not too much mind as it is a gritty reboot :)) ). have a two hour adventure with a great pts, then the gun barrel, Decent opening song and titles. Then into the story about a Big villain up to no good for the free world, a large henchman who looks like he could break Bond in two. Bond getting it on with at least Three major Babes. Even stick in a couple of huge action sequences with an odd stunt or two. -{
    But I feel it ain't going to happen, the Quantum story will be completed with Bond getting all "Emo" over Vesper etc. M teaching Bond a lesson on trusting people, some more running across rooftops/building sites sort of thing. ( their bound to have a few ideas left over from CR & QOS ).
    Can't say I'm getting very excited over Bond 23 so far, No real facts being released just rumors. I expect it to be more of the same, Which some will like and others not, and nothing wrong with that "You pays your money,and you takes your choice !" :))

I really hope that youre fears are misguided, but suspect that a lot depends upon how arrogant EON are, and how successful they feel that QOS was. from a commercial viewpoint they are probably happy enough, but the critical/fan reaction was at the very best mixed. How much they care is debatable. Also do not think that we know enough about 23 to gauge the windspeed, and direction. The 'Quantum' issue my be a key indicator. I like the sound of your desired version of 23 and hope that we get it. I fear that we could indeed be in for more of the same. Time will tell...

Sounds familliar...
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent

Sounds familliar...

I got most of the line right! :))
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
    edited April 2011
    Mister White wrote:

"That doesn't mean she is innocent. I always believed that there was more to the "He was dead before you passed him on the stairs" bit. "I passed him on the stairs?" she said innocently, knowing full well that it was her that killed him... "

I'm just wondering if she was shot, why wasn't it addressed later in the film? I think it was a production/continuity error.

She appeared to yelp as though she was shot and then fell to the floor, didn't she?

IMO, if they were to have M turn out to be a villain it would be weaker than a Soap Opera! :))
    edited April 2011
    Apologies for the double post.
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    No way M is going to be a bad guy. That would be the worst twist since making Mr. Phelps a traitor in the first Mission: Impossible movie. Tracy's idea is a good one if they get the actors that are being talked about recently.
    "Better late than never."
    I just want to see Bond shoot her ! :))
    edited April 2011
    :))

(Bond extracts his PPK from its holster and levels it at Dench)

"Dammit Mother, is NOTHING I do good enough for you?!?!?!"
    "He's not an international spy,He's just a very Naught Boy !" :))
  • WildeWilde Oxford, UKPosts: 621MI6 Agent
    I think Michael Praed would make a good villain for Quantum, maybe even the leader. He has a certain David Warner look about him. Obviously David Warner himself would be a little too obvious as he's just too damn good at being bad! -{
  • cmdr_bond_007cmdr_bond_007 Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    Bring back Blofeld! Or at least some kind of faceless leader for a film or two. Give him a #1 type of henchman supporting villain too!
    "I think he got the point."
    "Governments change. The lies stay the same."
    "They say you're judged by the strength of your enemies."
  • ChiffreChiffre Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    I have a couple of suggestions for future villains in order of my own preference:

Alan Rickman
    Previously mentioned Max von Sydow, (Never Say Never Again did not give him any justice - he is far a better actor than that)

But, the head of Quantum, Blofeld or whoever it may be, should be played by...

...SEAN CONNERY!

-{
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Chiffre wrote:
    I have a couple of suggestions for future villains in order of my own preference:

Alan Rickman
    Previously mentioned Max von Sydow, (Never Say Never Again did not give him any justice - he is far a better actor than that)

But, the head of Quantum, Blofeld or whoever it may be, should be played by...

...SEAN CONNERY!

-{

God, I hope you're joking .....

I think the next Bond film should be about 007 fighting Quantum. Not like QoS was a follow-op to CR, but like FRWL was to DN. The villan worked for SPECTRE, but the mission is self-contained.

Personally I'm optimistic about Bond 23, mainly because of Sam Mendes and DC. I would also like to quote the first part of Thunderpussy's post:

I love to see Bond have a Little fun ( not too much mind as it is a gritty reboot ). have a two hour adventure with a great pts, then the gun barrel, Decent opening song and titles. Then into the story about a Big villain up to no good for the free world, a large henchman who looks like he could break Bond in two. Bond getting it on with at least Three major Babes. Even stick in a couple of huge action sequences with an odd stunt or two.