Daniel Craig is in a new movie called The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Comments

• JohnMastersonJohnMasterson MinnesotaPosts: 326MI6 Agent
    edited December 2011
    I wonder how Dream House and Cowboys & Aliens fared at the box office...I'm willing to guess that they did better than The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo but that's probably not saying much.
    "Goodbye, my son. Our hopes and dreams travel with you." Jor-El ~ Man of Steel (2013)
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I wonder how Dream House and Cowboys & Aliens fared at the box office...I'm willing to guess that they did better than The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo but that's probably not saying much.

Just checked BoxOfficeMojo. Cowboys & Aliens opened at $36 million and made $100 million total in the U.S.; Dream House, however is a COLOSSAL bomb. . .$8 million opening, $21 domestic total. Girl's opening of $27 million beats DH's entire earnings. . .BOM says that TGWTDT's numbers are actually the best among new releases but still "disappointing," given the novel's popularity and the huge ad campaign.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    John Drake wrote:
    I'm glad it outperformed 'We Bought a Zoo' though. That would have been a disaster.

Yet ending up behind Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked is acceptable?

They made another 'Alvin and the Chipmunks'? Craig is always getting his ass kicked at the box-office by talking animals. I'm a bit baffled as to why they would open a movie with such dark themes at Christmas. TGWTDT, not the Chipmunks thingy.
  • JohnMastersonJohnMasterson MinnesotaPosts: 326MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:

Just checked BoxOfficeMojo. Cowboys & Aliens opened at $36 million and made $100 million total in the U.S.

That's pretty good for Daniel Craig, although I guess this kind of box office success has less to do with Craig and more to do with Jon Favreau and Harrison Ford.
    "Goodbye, my son. Our hopes and dreams travel with you." Jor-El ~ Man of Steel (2013)
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    edited December 2011

Cowboys and Aliens grossed slightly under $175 million worldwide against a budget of $163 million, so while its recouped its costs (slightly) that narrow margin makes it a major disappointment, especially given all the talent involved and money and effort spent promoting the film.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/search/?q=cowboys%20and%20aliens

Dreamhouse grossed approximately $38.5 million worldwide against a budget of $50 million; it is by any measure a flop, especially as it couldn't recoup its modest budget. It also never made any noise on home video as it came and went quickly. I'm sure all parties involved would like to forget that one.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dreamhouse.htm

To date The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo has made approximately $28 million in the USA and another $1.6 million abroad (though it has only opened in Finland). Most films drop 40-50% from week to week; assuming that its fair to say that it will top out around $55-$60 million domestically, well short of its $90 million budget. It will need a very strong performance overseas to offset that and its interesting to note that advertising in the USA has shifted away from highlighting Craig (or any actor) in favor of focusing on the title and director.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=girldragontattoo11.htm

Ironically, The Adventures of Tin Tin (in which Craig voices one of the villains) has been one of his strongest non-Bond showings, having early nearly $240 million overseas (but only a modest $24 million in America so far) though you have to question how much of that is due to Craig since he is only a supporting voice actor and the foreign market tends to like 3D movies.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=tintin.htm

If you look at Craig's box office performance from film to film, you'll see a pattern of a general lack of interest in the USA (outside of Bond, so far) with better results in the foreign market. Though most films in which he got or shared top billing, were box office disappointments:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Actor&id=danielcraig.htm
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    So I saw it....

And I loved it. Really hope they go through with the next two. It all hinges on the international box office now.
  • alexeberlinalexeberlin Posts: 104MI6 Agent
    It was interminable..after all the hype I was bored and disappointed.
    I find it interesting that I'm hearing TGWTDT described as a flop, considering after only 10 days it's earned $60 million (after a cost of $90 million) and has stayed in the American top 5. Here's something interesting that puts it all in perspective, and should make those who want a sequel very happy:

From http://blog.moviefone.com/2012/01/03/girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-sequel-the-girl-who-played-with-fire/

A funny thing about 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo': audiences seem to love the film (David Fincher's adaptation of Stieg Larsson's rape-y novel has received an A-grade on Cinemascore), critics and major filmmakers do as well, and ticket sales for a nearly three-hour R-rated thriller during the holiday season have been solid. Thus far, 'Tattoo' has grossed over $60 million at the box office, and -- with little competition through the next month -- should be able to hit $100 million domestically, plus whatever millions more the film grabs overseas. And yet! In some quarters, 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' is being looked at like a disappointment. Not in at the offices of Sony, though, where plans are full-steam ahead on the next entry in Larsson's Millenium trilogy, 'The Girl Who Played With Fire.'

" continues to do strong business and nothing has changed with respect to development of the next book," a representative for Sony told EW. "Development continues." Writer Steve Zaillian is still working on the script for 'Fire.'

No word yet on whether Fincher will return (he's been coy about future 'Dragon Tattoo' involvement), but stars Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara are contracted for the second and third films, should they come to pass.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I find it interesting that I'm hearing TGWTDT described as a flop, considering after only 10 days it's earned $60 million (after a cost of $90 million) and has stayed in the American top 5. Here's something interesting that puts it all in perspective, and should make those who want a sequel very happy:

From http://blog.moviefone.com/2012/01/03/girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-sequel-the-girl-who-played-with-fire/

A funny thing about 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo': audiences seem to love the film (David Fincher's adaptation of Stieg Larsson's rape-y novel has received an A-grade on Cinemascore), critics and major filmmakers do as well, and ticket sales for a nearly three-hour R-rated thriller during the holiday season have been solid. Thus far, 'Tattoo' has grossed over $60 million at the box office, and -- with little competition through the next month -- should be able to hit $100 million domestically, plus whatever millions more the film grabs overseas. And yet! In some quarters, 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' is being looked at like a disappointment. Not in at the offices of Sony, though, where plans are full-steam ahead on the next entry in Larsson's Millenium trilogy, 'The Girl Who Played With Fire.'

" continues to do strong business and nothing has changed with respect to development of the next book," a representative for Sony told EW. "Development continues." Writer Steve Zaillian is still working on the script for 'Fire.'

No word yet on whether Fincher will return (he's been coy about future 'Dragon Tattoo' involvement), but stars Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara are contracted for the second and third films, should they come to pass.

I sure hope Sony is still satisfied. I want more! Mara was fantastic. Way more Oscar-worthy than Natalie Portman in Black Swan IMO.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,275MI6 Agent
    I think it would be kinda cool to go in having had a shot of vodka, maybe at the Nordic Bar in London. Because it really is a cold, bleak miserable country when it isn't summer time. But you could go along with the atmosphere. :)
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • ExpatJBExpatJB HoustonPosts: 752MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:

I agree with you Hardyboy.

Its not quite like for like when you are an R rating up against films that are open to the whole market, at a time when the whole family tends to go to the movies. So actually, it seems pretty good to me. Finchers movies always seem to play and pay better overseas, so it will be interesting to see how that goes longer term.

Either way, the commercial performance of a movie is but one aspect of 'success', and the star isnt necessarily responsible for every aspect of that success. Question is whether he/she did a good job in that role, all the other aspects like plot, direction, production quality, editing, marketing, etc, etc, are not within their control but often they get heralded or lambasted for those qualities.

The first TGWTDT was a sleeper, I think this one will have legs too, will get revisited before the 2nd movie for those that didnt see it, and will do good DVD, with boxsets of the 3, blue ray and all the other good marketing ploys.

Quantum outsold CR, but did that make it a better movie?

Was Craig any good in TGWTDT? Solid.
    Dont wait for your ship to come in. Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
    Just noticed that the Wikipedia for the film has been updated. The budget is now listed at $80mil and the box office is now at $72mil.
    I'm answering my own question, but this would explain the lack of international money yet. :))

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
    North America
    Canada 21-Dec-11
    United States 21-Dec-11
    Latin America
    América Central 27-Jan-12
    Argentina 19-Jan-12
    Bolivia 26-Jan-12
    Brasil 27-Jan-12
    Chile 26-Jan-12
    Colombia 27-Jan-12
    Ecuador 27-Jan-12
    México 20-Jan-12
    Perú 19-Jan-12
    Uruguay 20-Jan-12
    Venezuela 27-Jan-12
    Middle East / Africa
    البحرين | Bahrain 5-Jan-12
    القاهرة | Egypt 4-Jan-12
    Ethiopia 6-Jan-12
    Israel 29-Dec-11
    الأردن | Jordan 4-Jan-12
    Kenya 6-Jan-12
    Kuwait 5-Jan-12
    Lebanon 5-Jan-12
    Nigeria 6-Jan-12
    عُمان | Oman 5-Jan-12
    قطر | Qatar 5-Jan-12
    South Africa 6-Jan-12
    Syria 5-Jan-12
    United Arab Emirates 5-Jan-12
    Asia Pacific
    Australia 12-Jan-12
    香港 | Hong Kong 5-Jan-12
    India 6-Jan-12
    Indonesia 4-Jan-12
    日本 | Japan 10-Feb-12
    한국 | Korea 12-Jan-12
    Malaysia 2-Feb-12
    New Zealand 26-Jan-12
    Pilipinas | Philippines 01-Feb-12
    Singapore 5-Jan-12
    台湾 | Taiwan 31-Dec-11
    ไทย | Thailand 5-Jan-12
    Vietnam 6-Jan-12
    International Site
    Click to Enter
    Europe
    België | Belgique | Belgium 18-Jan-12
    Bulgaria 6-Jan-12
    Ceská republika | Czech Republic 12-Jan-12
    Danmark | Denmark 21-Dec-11
    Deutschland | Germany 12-Jan-12
    España | Spain 13-Jan-12
    Eesti | Estonia 6-Jan-12
    Ελλάδα | Greece 12-Jan-12
    France 18-Jan-12
    Hrvatske | Croatia 29-Dec-11
    Íslan | Iceland 21-Dec-11
    Italia | Italy 3-Feb-12
    Latvijas | Latvija, Latvija | Latviju | Latvia 6-Jan-12
    Lietuvos | Lietuva | Lithuania 6-Jan-12
    Magyarország | Hungary 19-Jan-12
    Nederland | Netherlands | Holland 19-Jan-12
    Norge | Norway 21-Dec-11
    Österreich | Austria 13-Jan-12
    Polska | Poland 13-Jan-12
    Portugal 19-Jan-12
    Россия | Russia 2-Jan-12
    România 30-Dec-11
    Slovenija | Slovenia 29-Dec-11
    Slovensko | Slovakia 12-Jan-12
    Srbija | Crna Gora | Serbia and Montenegro 5-Jan-12
    Suisse | Switzerland (Fr) 18-Jan-12
    Schweiz | Switzerland (Ger) 12-Jan-12
    Svizzera | Switzerland (Itl) 3-Feb-12
    Suomi | Finland 21-Dec-11
    Sverige | Sweden 21-Dec-11
    Türkiye | Turkey 13-Jan-12
    Ukraine 5-Jan-12
    United Kingdom 26-Dec-11

I do have to wonder how they spent $90mm on a movie with little special effects though, even if they did put together a VERY impressive cast list.
    ExpatJB wrote:
    I'm answering my own question, but this would explain the lack of international money yet. :))

North America
    Canada 21-Dec-11
    United States 21-Dec-11

United Kingdom 26-Dec-11

I do have to wonder how they spent $90mm on a movie with little special effects though, even if they did put together a VERY impressive cast list.

Mara jokes that she wasn't paid a lot either. But yeah, it has yet to even have a chance of real international bank yet, so it will no doubt make back more than its budget now.

My mention of the Wiki page was because I noticed it used to say $90mil budget and now says $80mil. I wonder if they backtracked and wanted it to sound like things arent as slow domestically so they said the official budget wasnt actually that big. No doubt that with marketing and such, it was probably at aleast 90mil though if 80 was the real budget number.
    I am reading the book and Craig seems good if not ideal casting for the lead role (though in his younger days, Liam Neeson might have been better), it's a page turner though the second chapter early on is a real bore with lots of dull exposition about companies, you have to get past page 30 for it to pick up imo.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited January 2012
    Well, I finished the 500 page book in just 3-4 days, something of a record for me and shows how gripping I found it. Very enjoyable and it might have felt like reading an Ian Fleming novel back in the day. Not so far-fetched a comparison; in 1966 the books would still feel current yet the author having died at a young age just a few years previously. It makes you think that Fleming was only 54 when he died, the age Moore was in FYEO and he's still going strong.

That said, Tattoo is really not like a Fleming novel on the whole. Except for comparisons like

1) Both Fleming and Larsson were journalists, and the narrative has that gripping feel, like getting you into a story with a strong narrative. Fleming's background was also in military intelligence, Larsson's seems to be investigative journalism. But you feel impressed with their efforts and superior knowledge.

Larsson doesn't wear his research too lightly, but it's not as bad as say Jeffery Deaver. Some complain he overloads with information, but that reflects the outlook of the journalist who is asked to investigate a 40 year old crime by an 80 year old father mourning the loss of his daughter, there's stacks of folders and research to wade through and it's hard to see what clue is significant and what isn't.

2) Larsson is a foodie, with references galore to Swedish dishes that you want to try out, as with Fleming's details on food.

3) He creates an environment you want to be in, it's a comfortable world to live in for the most part (except near the end). You can retreat into it a bit, though it has a sense of melancholy.

4) The hero, Blomvisk, is a Bond-style cypher. He exists to propel the narrative forward, he's a hit with the ladies and a bit of a maverick. Really though, you want to see how interacts with other characters, to see the dirt he kicks up.

5) The villain type role is the eponymous Girl, not that she's bad, but the detail to her background resembes that afforded to the likes of Red Grant or Klebb, and expectation is built up as to how Blomvisk the journalist will interact with her.

(It's not a book to take on your honeymoon, as it makes you feel sheepish and apologetic about being a man.)

There are quite a few plotholes that emerge once you've finished reading it, however.

I can see why the Craig film may not be a big hit. The poster doesn't conjur up the look of the book in my mind's eye, which would be -30 degrees, two foot deep snow, early darkness falling giving way to spring and piercing blue skies and sunlight. More Dr Zhivago, while the poster looks like it could be shot in Pittsburgh.

Another snag is it's a mystery. Once you know what happens, you don't need to see the film. Christie was different, because she had over 100 novels, so a good chance people won't know that particular book, just know the brand name. Thirdly,
    the actual resolution is so grim and horrible, with a torture chamber and a guy who murders women for his own pleasure over decades, that I actually really don't want to see it. Reading the book is okay because you don't know that's gonna happen.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    For anyone looking for those posts about the glasses Craig wears in the film, you can find them here:

http://ajb007.co.uk/topic/37816/craigs-dragon-tattoo-glasses/

Meanwhile, back to the movie itself!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    We'll see the international box office numbers soon. Glad to hear that it has done well enough for them to green light the sequel. I really loved the movie.
    Mr Beech wrote:
    ExpatJB wrote:

North America
    Canada 21-Dec-11
    United States 21-Dec-11

United Kingdom 26-Dec-11

Mara jokes that she wasn't paid a lot either. But yeah, it has yet to even have a chance of real international bank yet, so it will no doubt make back more than its budget now.

My mention of the Wiki page was because I noticed it used to say $90mil budget and now says $80mil. I wonder if they backtracked and wanted it to sound like things arent as slow domestically so they said the official budget wasnt actually that big. No doubt that with marketing and such, it was probably at aleast 90mil though if 80 was the real budget number.

I agree that the production budget being reduced in press releases is damage limitation. In any event whether 80m,90m or the 100m that was listed prior to release that is only the production budget. It covers the cost of making the movie from securing the rights to the book to paying the cast and crew, building sets, costumes and so on.
    It does not cover the cost of distribution and marketing. In order for cinemas to screen the movie they have to have prints. As TGWTDT is a wide release Sony can produce prints much more cheaply than usual but for almost 3000 screens in the USA it would involve costs of around $3million at least. Then those prints have to be shipped to each cinema.
    The bigger cost for something like Tattoo is marketing. Tattoo received a lot of hype prior to release..marketing was originally listed as $35 million..US marketing would be at least this.
    Overseas the shipping costs are higher obviously and many prints require dubbing into another language- this means hiring actors and a studio to record another soundtrack.
    Finally the actors and director will do premieres around the world..all costs.
    Hollywood is very front-loaded..the opening weekend is vital to the studios as the cinemas take a much lower cut of ticket sales. That cut increases after opening weekend until the fourth week .
    Overseas the studio - after shipping, distribution and marketing- will see around 60% of the take.
    On the other hand the box office worldwide will get a new lease of life if the film gets a lot of oscar nominations..they will add at least $20 mill probably much more.
    Without oscar noms the US box office should be around $105 million..that will rise significantly if it gets nominated.
    I'm not trying to upset you..I hated the film but I've had movies that I loved that didn't get sequels so I sympathise. If it does get sequels then fair enough as long as I don't have to watch them.
    I just think that the announcement of sequels this early might be more damage limitation to make sure the film doesn't sound like a flop in territories where it hasn't opened yet..they'll wait to see what awards it gets and what the international situation is. Of course I'm very cynical.
    TonyDP wrote:

Cowboys and Aliens grossed slightly under $175 million worldwide against a budget of $163 million, so while its recouped its costs (slightly) that narrow margin makes it a major disappointment, especially given all the talent involved and money and effort spent promoting the film.

Dreamhouse grossed approximately $38.5 million worldwide against a budget of $50 million; it is by any measure a flop, especially as it couldn't recoup its modest budget. It also never made any noise on home video as it came and went quickly. I'm sure all parties involved would like to forget that one.

To date The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo has made approximately $28 million in the USA and another $1.6 million abroad (though it has only opened in Finland). Most films drop 40-50% from week to week; assuming that its fair to say that it will top out around $55-$60 million domestically, well short of its $90 million budget. It will need a very strong performance overseas to offset that and its interesting to note that advertising in the USA has shifted away from highlighting Craig (or any actor) in favor of focusing on the title and director.

Ironically, The Adventures of Tin Tin (in which Craig voices one of the villains) has been one of his strongest non-Bond showings, having early nearly $240 million overseas (but only a modest $24 million in America so far) though you have to question how much of that is due to Craig since he is only a supporting voice actor and the foreign market tends to like 3D movies.

If you look at Craig's box office performance from film to film, you'll see a pattern of a general lack of interest in the USA (outside of Bond, so far) with better results in the foreign market. Though most films in which he got or shared top billing, were box office disappointments:

Hollywood accounting is a lot more complex than that.
    TonyDP wrote:

To TonyDP: Films released in December don't drop that fast because January is the lightest release month of each year, so December movies usually keep earning a steady count well into January and at this point, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo has made well over its production budget.

To alexeberlin: They confirmed that they will indeed be going ahead with The Girl Who Played With Fire. Since TGWTDT is a December release, it had more time to bring in money. As an R-rated, non-family, dark film, it was always going to have a slow start during the holidays. Since its earnings stayed steady enough to make back the budget before any major international release, it is on track to be a satisfying release. I am glad to hear that they are continuing and both actors are contracted to do all three movies if they decide to continue on to the final part after this next one gets released. :)
    It's the sort of film I'd see at the Prince Charles (London cheap cinema), btw Tinker Tailor is currently showing there this week.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Mr Beech wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:

To TonyDP: Films released in December don't drop that fast because January is the lightest release month of each year, so December movies usually keep earning a steady count well into January and at this point, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo has made well over its production budget.

To alexeberlin: They confirmed that they will indeed be going ahead with The Girl Who Played With Fire. Since TGWTDT is a December release, it had more time to bring in money. As an R-rated, non-family, dark film, it was always going to have a slow start during the holidays. Since its earnings stayed steady enough to make back the budget before any major international release, it is on track to be a satisfying release. I am glad to hear that they are continuing and both actors are contracted to do all three movies if they decide to continue on to the final part after this next one gets released. :)

Og course they've said they're going to make the second one. Its damage limitation because the film has opened in several territories. I'm not saying they won't make it but I would imagine that they'll see how it does internationally. Sony's estimate of 300 mill worldwide is almost impossible.
    And it hasn't made its money back..did you read my post?
    edited January 2012
    Can only reiterate another person's point, it is not exactly a sfx extravaganza, how can it cost nothing to make and be hard to recoup its earnings? Craig would be on, what, a few million max if that, cos he's not in his Bond role. Co-star almost unknown. Does the director have big pockets or something?

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    At $137mm to date I would expect they will be in profit. I went a second time and did my bit for the cause. :))
    ExpatJB wrote:
    At $137mm to date I would expect they will be in profit. I went a second time and did my bit for the cause. :))
    they're not even close..which is why Mara said "in case they make a sequel" at the golden globes
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    It seems strange that last year many of the Films expected to do Huge business, Basicially didn't.
    Also many studios are having money troubles, So sadly if a film doesn't put Bums on seats, there
    might well be no sequal no matter how Good the first film was.
    But take heart Chipmunks 3 is out :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited January 2012
    Mr Beech wrote:

Og course they've said they're going to make the second one. Its damage limitation because the film has opened in several territories. I'm not saying they won't make it but I would imagine that they'll see how it does internationally. Sony's estimate of 300 mill worldwide is almost impossible.

I read it. For the first couple weeks after the film released, they hadn't announced the sequel. Analysts said that they are on a wait and see with it since it isn't earning fast, but rather steady instead. Then, about a week ago, Sony announced via press release that earnings satisfied them (this was just prior to the international releases) and that the sequel gears are in motion.

They announced the sequel before they had any idea of the performance in other territories. Almost all other territories didn't get the film release until Jan. 12.

They confirmed that they hope to start filming by the end of 2012. And at this point, I think they are getting close to profits. Official budget of $90mil + marketing +distribution can't be way over the $139mil its earned. That would be some crazy budgeting on a film with nearly no effects.
    Mr Beech wrote:
    Mr Beech wrote:

I read it. For the first couple weeks after the film released, they hadn't announced the sequel. Analysts said that they are on a wait and see with it since it isn't earning fast, but rather steady instead. Then, about a week ago, Sony announced via press release that earnings satisfied them (this was just prior to the international releases) and that the sequel gears are in motion.

They announced the sequel before they had any idea of the performance in other territories. Almost most other territories didn't get the film release until Jan. 12.

They confirmed that they hope to start filming by the end of 2012. And at this point, I think they are getting close to profits. Official budget of $90mil + marketing +distribution can't be way over the $139mil its earned. That would be some crazy budgeting on a film with nearly no effects.

Sorry I meant to say HASN'T opened in several territories. Well if they're planning to film a sequel somebody better tell the leading lady because at the Golden Globes (ie yesterday) she was saying "if" and "in case they make a sequel".
    The studios don't get every penny of that 139 though. In the US pretty much no movie gets more than 75% and overseas a maximum of about 50-60%.
    I'm not saying they won't make a sequel and obviously the film is still earning but as with every movie its not that simple.
    ExpatJB wrote:
    they're not even close..which is why Mara said "in case they make a sequel" at the golden globes
    I may have to go again then, especially as you keep raising the bar for the definition of success. :))