Daniel Craig is in a new movie called The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Comments

• Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    ExpatJB wrote:
    ExpatJB wrote:
    At $137mm to date I would expect they will be in profit. I went a second time and did my bit for the cause. :))
    they're not even close..which is why Mara said "in case they make a sequel" at the golden globes
    I may have to go again then, especially as you keep raising the bar for the definition of success. :))

I want to go again, but I have no one to go with now that I am back at school. Do it! Save the franchise!
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Im on vacation in South America and as far as I can see the film hasnt even been released yet where I am
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • The StingerThe Stinger Posts: 36MI6 Agent
    I still need to go see the film, but definitely want to. Btw, Tinker, Tailor, etc. is excellent. Couldn't recommend it more. Maybe a bit quiet for bondians, but a different animal altogether. Plus superb acting.

On a different note (and seeing how the glasses thread was bashed, er, frowned upon) I would definitely love to know about DC's clothing in this film. The dark shirt and grey knitswear he's sporting in most publicity shots would be a welcome adding to my wardrobe. Any hints, anyone? So far I've been able to identify the specs as Mykita, and the coat as Moncler.
  • alexeberlinalexeberlin Posts: 104MI6 Agent
    ExpatJB wrote:
    ExpatJB wrote:
    At $137mm to date I would expect they will be in profit. I went a second time and did my bit for the cause. :))
    they're not even close..which is why Mara said "in case they make a sequel" at the golden globes
    I may have to go again then, especially as you keep raising the bar for the definition of success. :))

nothing personal. Just mathematics. The same applies to every movie ever made.
  • ExpatJBExpatJB HoustonPosts: 752MI6 Agent
    Mr Beech wrote:
    ExpatJB wrote:

I want to go again, but I have no one to go with now that I am back at school. Do it! Save the franchise!
    I will take one for the team. :))

I actually went on my own with a bucket of popcorn, and enjoyed it more the 2nd time. Fine cast and acting. Go for it.
    Dont wait for your ship to come in. Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
    ExpatJB wrote:
    Mr Beech wrote:
    ExpatJB wrote:

I will take one for the team. :))

I actually went on my own with a bucket of popcorn, and enjoyed it more the 2nd time. Fine cast and acting. Go for it.

Ha! May just do that. Pull a Liz Lemon and get a Large Popcorn and a ticket for one. Glad to hear you still enjoyed it. :)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    For anyone looking for those posts about the glasses Craig wears in the film, you can find them here:

http://ajb007.co.uk/topic/37816/craigs-dragon-tattoo-glasses/

Meanwhile, back to the movie itself!

Wow, didn't realise it had generated that much stuff! Things get a bit tense on the Memorabilia section, don't they?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Here is an interesting US chart:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&view=chart&id=girldragontattoo11.htm

Seems to be staying in the $1-2mil range daily. Not sure how it compares to other movies, but it doesn't seem to be dropping dramatically from where it started, hinting that it started slow enough to begin with because people didn't all go in its earliest weeks. Golden Globe nom for Mara might have helped.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Boxofficemojo has the actuals as of Monday, January 16. The movie has made $89.2 million in the U.S., just short of the estimated production cost; and outside America it's made $49.7 million. This looks like a fairly successful film to me, but I'm no one's idea of an accountant--especially in Hollywood terms!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    Thing is, how are other movies out there doing ie M.I. IV and so on? How is it comparing? Once you factor in DVD stuff it might be as well to do follow ups just to cultivate a brand or franchise of sorts.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Well, Rooney Mara has been nominated for a Best Actress Oscar (R) for the film. This Moviephone article mentions her being singled out as a pleasant surprise and deplores that neither the film itself nor David Fincher were nominated. . .but doesn't mention a thing about Daniel Craig not being a Best Actor nominee!

http://news.moviefone.com/2012/01/24/oscar-snubs-and-surprises_n_1227812.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl2|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D129773#s633883&title=SNUBBED_Harry_Potter
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    I don't get how Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close got nominated with very mixed reviews, but the very positive reception of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo didn't make it in the nominees. In my opinion, they put too many Best Picture Nominees just for the sake of more viewers. At least Mara got the nod she deserves.

Another note, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (pre-order) is the 7th best selling Blu Ray on Amazon right now.
    It did get 5 Oscar nominations, although all 'technical' ones other than Rooneys.
    ExpatJB wrote:
    It did get 5 Oscar nominations, although all 'technical' ones other than Rooneys.

Yeah, that's good. I was just referring to Best Picture, which is the award that the Academy has tried to put a lot of buzz around in the last several years by increasing, and now making it uncertain, how many films are nominated in the category. Honestly, I think the changes are bad, as Pixar's 'Up' had no business being in the Best Picture category in the year it was nominated when the animation category is intended to cover such film production styles and it was clearly not the best of those nominees. Almost as bad with James Cameron's 'Avatar'. I can't see why anyone thought as an overall film it may have been the best, when it was widely criticized for lack of originality in writing and acting.

But, yes, I am aware TGWTDT got further recognition besides Mara's nomination, which I am glad to hear. I think of the films I saw there, The Descendant is my pick for best. Midnight in Paris was a fun movie-lover's experience, and The Tree of Life was really unique and interesting in my opinion.
    $211.5mm and counting.

Part 2 for sure.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    ExpatJB wrote:
    $211.5mm and counting.

Part 2 for sure.

Does not surprise me - I have just come back from South America and the film was only released a few weeks ago (seems popular too)

Seemed far too early to call it a flop
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Agreed.

If you look at all David Finchers movies they all do much more abroad. I guess 'dark' movies aren't so hot in the US.
    Its preorder page has been in the top 20 best-selling Blu-Rays on Amazon for a couple weeks now. I am very glad. The Oscar nominations probably helped.
    ExpatJB wrote:
    $211.5mm and counting.

Part 2 for sure.

8-)
    edited February 2012
    ExpatJB wrote:
    $211.5mm and counting.

Part 2 for sure.

8-)

X-( Shoo fly! You're bothering the satisfied filmgoers!
  • 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    What can I say this is a good movie. Mara is great in this. Craig delivers. All hail The Sweater/Jeans King. -{
    Mr Beech wrote:
    ExpatJB wrote:
    $211.5mm and counting.

Part 2 for sure.

8-)

I'm rolling my eyes at the idea that expatjb thinks 211.5mm (sic) represents a huge success after 54 days of release. With a production budget of 90-100 and marketing on top. It may or may not get a sequel but 211 doesn't guarantee it by any means.
    Mr Beech wrote:

8-)

I'm rolling my eyes at the idea that expatjb thinks 211.5mm (sic) represents a huge success after 54 days of release. With a production budget of 90-100 and marketing on top. It may or may not get a sequel but 211 doesn't guarantee it by any means.

I know what the eye roll was! And I think they are right, it has definitely made enough to warrant a sequel. Making double your budget +- is definitely enough to go for the sequel, but Sony liked where the numbers were going back before it even hit $90mil enough to say the sequel is set for production. And a slow start is not a blockbuster by today's standards, but that doesn't mean it is not a success. That is a good number for this movie considering the timing, audience, and the fact that it was expected to have a slow US start by many and not even do that well worldwide (since the rest of the world were far happier with the Swedish films than we were in the US).

A megahit might be expected to do $450mil+, but $211mil is definitely a success in this case when you pay attention to the difference between this and a the summer blockbuster scenario you are talking about.

My guess is that they are going to go into the sequel with a $60-80mil budget now that they know it is not a blockbuster release franchise.
    Where have you guys been? The sequel was greenlighted (greenlit?) a month ago:

http://www.filmequals.com/2012/01/18/sony-gives-green-light-to-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-sequels/

So. . .case closed!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Mr Beech wrote:

8-)

You must be my wife? Did I say it was a huge success? Wasn't the budget 80-90 plus marketing, not 90-100?

Exaggerate to make a point much? :)) Desperate to find the negative much? :))
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo--named-riskiest-movie-of-2011.html

Girl with the Dragon tattoo, named as Riskiest Film of 2011.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Didn't much care for TGWTDT, but then I didn't like the novel, or the Swedish TV movies. Really don't know why Fincher bothered with himself this. Pleased he seems to have already extricated himself from the sequel.
    edited February 2012

With post theater profits like DVD and TV rights it could easily make another 50-100 million on top of that.
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Where have you guys been? The sequel was greenlighted (greenlit?) a month ago:

http://www.filmequals.com/2012/01/18/sony-gives-green-light-to-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-sequels/

So. . .case closed!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    If I watched the original Swedish version with subtitles, can I tell people I've read the Book. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Thought I heard the American version followed the book more closely. So try Swedish subtitles on the American version.