Who would you like to see as M when Judi Dench retires from the role?

CuishCuish Posts: 15MI6 Agent
Either Tom Wilkinson or Patrick Stewart would be my choice.

Comments

• BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Albert Finney or Peter Firth.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Helen Mirren.
  • WildeWilde Oxford, UKPosts: 621MI6 Agent
    All fantastic ideas, guys. For continuities sake I would rather see another female M. Also because I enjoyed the way she shared an almost maternal understanding with Bond.

Then again, Peter Firth would be stunning, the guy oozes authority and secrecy and I think would connect with Bond on screen very well.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,287MI6 Agent
    Biggie question is: do we want Ian Fleming's M to 'return' for this reboot, or have a new M personality like Fox or Dench.

I'd nominate Hugh Grant, so we can see a revisit of Edward Fox's excellent portrayal of M in NSNA, with his po-faced poshness. "Oh do be logical 007!" Oh yes.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'd prefer an ageing Character Actor who would be happy with a few weeks work every couple of years just to keep his hand in, rather than a Big name. To keep the Part of M as an Important But Minor Character in the Movies, rather than have his scenes increased as he is a well known Actor. Hopefully giving more time for Bond to Blow things Up,stunt work and getting Birds ! :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    I'll throw in with Thunerpussy on that.
  • DrFragmentDrFragment South Coast Of EnglandPosts: 49MI6 Agent
    If keeping M female, I'd have to agree with Helen Mirren as top choice. But if returning to Flemings image, hadn't thought of Patrick Stewart, but damn good choice. Ian McKellen would be interesting (anyone else getting the X-Men vibe..Halle Berry, Famke Janssen !!).
    "Mm... Royal Beluga, north of the Caspian."
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    Sir Patrick Stewart, Sir Ian McKellen ... both great choices. Of those, I'd pick Patrick Stewart. He has past experience in playing a person in command :)

I want someone who looks somewhat like Fleming's M. The late Bernard Lee's M was the best of all, and most accurately portrayed, in my opinion. Lee's M should be the benchmark by which all other Ms are judged.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
  • DanielCraig007DanielCraig007 Posts: 588MI6 Agent
    I would like to see a man as M when Dench is finished with the part.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Why don't we compromise...Patrick Stewart in drag.
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    Tom Wilkinson would be a fine choice
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung
    Sorry if this idea has been posted before But, How about M being killed and Tim Piggot smith ( Minister in QOS ) Taking over as the new M. Back to a more Crusty M. Although I'd love to see Sir Patrick Stewart in Drag. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    When I saw Timothy Dalton play an older police Chief Inpsector in The Tourist I thought he would make a great M. The movie has a scene where Dalton is sitting behind a desk peering out over his reading glasses lecturing an over aggresive suboridinate. Sitting in the theatre I thought, Dalton would be a great M.
  • Martin AstonMartin Aston LondonPosts: 408MI6 Agent
    For me it would have to be Simon Russell Beale. He played George Smiley in BBC Radio 4's dramatisation of all the Smiley novels. He also appeard in the latest series of Spooks.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/smiley-season/

The adaptions are available on iTunes, I would urge you all to have a listen.
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    Anothert vote for Dalton as M.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    ...... or Peter Firth.

Peter Firth gets my vote.

Patrick Stewart is also a great choice, but I don't think that would ever happen....
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    edited March 2011
    In a previous post I said I pay good money to see Sir Patrick Stewart in Drag, Then along comes Daniel Craig in Drag for a new video for womens rights.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/popwrap/daniel_craig_learns_that_being_modern_kkSD5YNkYxdheiTNKo28lI
    This young actress...

daniel-Craig-befor_1266291a.jpg

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Could He play, Not only Bond but Moneypenny as well :D "Suits you, Sir "
  • little nellylittle nelly London, EnglandPosts: 152MI6 Agent
    Patrick Stewart (you're right Lexi, it ain't gonna happen) or the great Michael Gambon!
    N O I N F O R M A T I O N I S U S E L E S S
    I wouldn't mind seeing George Baker get it, He has a history with the Bond Films from OHMSS and TSWLM.
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    I wouldn't mind seeing George Baker get it, He has a history with the Bond Films from OHMSS and TSWLM.

Like the idea a lot....

"hilly"......
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    micheal gambon
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    ke02eww wrote:

Like the idea a lot....

"hilly"......

Me to. he would be a good choice. Only proviso is how old is he? Eon will probably want an actor to carry the role for a few films and possibly to introduce the next actor to play Bond.
    He'd have to convey his performance via ouiji board. :(

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited March 2011
    Oh, I sad to hear that,I had no idea the man was dead. Well scrub that idea then.
  • tlotlo DenmarkPosts: 17MI6 Agent
    +1 for Dalton as M, and then Gemma Arterton as Moneypenny :D she will be so perfect for that role.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    edited March 2011

Who do you mean Napoleon? Mr Baker is still very much with us to the best of my knowledge?

I agree that Sir Pat Stewart or Sir Ian McKellan would make excellent suceeding M's. I would add Poirot actor Davis Suchet to that list too.

However, I doubt that EON wold want to repeat either what Bernard Lee did, or Dame Judi has been doing. If they cast based on the current head of the real MI6, Sir Robert Sawyers, I can see the likes of Colin Firth, Hugh Lawrie, or even Anthony Stewart Head, giving more of a serious "Civil servant" type of character to work with. - Think Edward Fox's brilliantly stuffy M in Never Say Never Again.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent

Who do you mean Napoleon? Mr Baker is still very much with us to the best of my knowledge?

I agree that Sir Pat Stewart or Sir Ian McKellan would make excellent suceeding M's. I would add Poirot actor Davis Suchet to that list too.

However, I doubt that EON wold want to repeat either what Bernard Lee did, or Dame Judi has been doing. If they cast based on the current head of the real MI6, Sir Robert Sawyers, I can see the likes of Colin Firth, Hugh Lawrie, or even Anthony Stewart Head, giving more of a serious "Civil servant" type of character to work with. - Think Edward Fox's brilliantly stuffy M in Never Say Never Again.

Spot on TB2.... Very much alive..

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0048468/bio

And as a bond-vet with three films I think he'd make a perfect M!
    Oh yeah, he is alive acc to imdb. Odd, I thought he'd died two years ago. ?:)

Roger Moore 1927-2017