Who would you like to see as M when Judi Dench retires from the role?

2»

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Hopefully if the reports of his death have been exaggerated, He'll live for years yet. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    Hopefully if the reports of his death have been exaggerated, He'll live for years yet. :))

With apologies to ..

Nice TP -{
  • Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 387MI6 Agent
    Sam Neil would be good.
    "I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
    'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)
  • DanjaqdvdDanjaqdvd Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    edited March 2011
    For a male definitely Anthony Hopkins (he was good in MI2), and Helen Mirren for female.

You get a feeling what he'd be like as M below in this ad if confronting Daniel Craig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9MjV5u6KrA
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    3rd vote for Dalton - that would be wonderfully subversive, even though I can't picture him actually accepting the role

Another vote for Helen Mirren, then
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
    I loved Edward Fox as M in NSNA, ( didn't like much else about it ) and if he's still alive ( He was in Midsommer Murders last night ) mabey he could revive his crusty Old sea dog, I'd love the New M not to like him so much as Dame Judi. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Ammo08 wrote:
    Sam Neil would be good.

Sam Neil would be an interesting choice...he kind of reminds me of Edward Fox in a way. And I think it would be interesting to see an M who is somewhat closer to Bond's age. I miss the camaraderie that Bond shared with Tanner, so perhaps a younger M could bring that element back a bit.

And it's good to hear from you, Tracy! -{
    Watching Batman tonight ( T Burton's ) I was struck by How as Alfred was a father figure to the young Batman so M was Bond's father figure, and that a male M in CR would of worked Better, rather than the Mother she has turned into.
    Dame Judi worked in the Brosnan era as He had Q to act as his Father figure. So not just from a continuity point, Mabey they should of bit the Bullet and changed her.Just a thought. :))
  • Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 387MI6 Agent
    How about Malcolm MacDowell?
    "I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
    'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)
    For something Totally different, How about bringing Back J Cleese :)) especially if he adds a little Basil Fawlty into it. :)) When Bond steps out of line he gets a smack across the back of the Head from M. :v
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,287MI6 Agent
    Mirren as M, Russell Brand as Bond.

I'd pay to see it.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Brand as Q would be fun, Instead of Bond eyeing up the ladies, as Q expains the gadget to Bond it would be Brand as Q eyeing them up, "ER, Hello Darling fancy a look at my Gadgey wadgey " :))
  • NSNAFanNSNAFan Posts: 20MI6 Agent
    I'd love to see Edward Fox back - he was an excellent M IMO. Why not bring back Rowan Atkinson as Nigel Small-Fawcett for comedic purposes? :D Back to M: How about Kristen Scott Thomas?
  • NSNAFanNSNAFan Posts: 20MI6 Agent
    Another one came to mind: Stephanie Beacham.
  • FlemishFlemish CardiffPosts: 15MI6 Agent
    Kathy Burke, in sweary smoker magazine editor mode.

Come on, that'd be worth seeing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathy_Burke
  • 007storm007storm The NetherlandsPosts: 345MI6 Agent
    Ammo08 wrote:
    How about Malcolm MacDowell?

He's got my vote...

Or anthony hopkins??
    My James Bond Collection:
    Antens007Archive
  • RayBaniRayBani Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Didnt Anthony Hopkins sign 3 movie contract to be the evil mastermind in next bond movies ?
    Hi RayBani, you could be right. A Hopkins seems to be a name that keeps getting linked to the Bond movies, I can remember reading( at the time ) that he was to do TND. and more or less every movie since.
    I'd love to see it he's a fantastic actor -{
    edited July 2012
    RayBani wrote:
    Didnt Anthony Hopkins sign 3 movie contract to be the evil mastermind in next bond movies ?

That would be brilliant especially with a welsh accent!

Also I see he already bond connections with Judi Dench and Timothy Dalton!
  • Stand-In SpyStand-In Spy Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    edited May 2011
    If going back to male M, Bill Nighy is my nomination. Jane Seymour for M and possibly Tilda Swinton for Ms. Moneypenny
  • Richard--WRichard--W USAPosts: 200MI6 Agent
    edited May 2011
    The Stop! Or My M. Will Shoot! Trilogy:

StopOrMyMomWillShoot.jpg

I don't care who plays M so long as the dynamic between M and Bond goes back to normal.
    Bond should not behave like an idiot.
    M should not excoriate him.
    She should stay at the office and stop following Bond around the globe.
    She should stop trying to teach him how to be a kinder, gentler spy.
    This new Bond-M relationship is implausible, ridiculous, and insulting.

Richard
    The top 7 Bond films: 1) Dr No. 2) From Russia With Love. 3) Thunderball. 4) On Her Majesty's Secret Service. 5) For Your Eyes Only. 6) The Living Daylights. 7) Licence to Kill.
    Richard--W wrote:
    The Stop! Or My M. Will Shoot! Trilogy:

StopOrMyMomWillShoot.jpg

I don't care who plays M so long as the dynamic between M and Bond goes back to normal.

Richard

I agree, it is implausible that they'd let a blithering idiot be a high ranking agent. Like aren't 80% of them recruited distreetly from Oxbridge? I know some 'characters' went to oxford, Boris Johnson a case in point, but really?

And to send M out, thats likely... isnt that kind of equivalent to sending out the Minster of Defence when a soldier is naughty?
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,612Chief of Staff
    Richard--W wrote:

Richard

Could you elaborate more about your perceived perception of the 'normal' dynamic between Bond and M ?

Hasn't M followed Bond into the field in quite a lot of the movies...?...and hasn't M castigated Bond at some point in most of them too ?
    YNWA 97
    This might be a first on AJB, but I've changed my mind about Dame Judi's M chasing after Craig's Bond. I didn't like how she always seemed to chase after Bond, until reading some opinions that made me remember how many times an Older M would do something similar with the Other Bonds.
    a few examples.
    YOLT, M sets up Bonds mission in Japan from his own sub,
    TMWTGG, M in Hong Kong to ball Bond out,
    TSWLM, m and Moneypenny turning up in Egypt,
    and there are many others.
    I'm not going to get involved in another heated discussion, just letting members know People can change their views, although I do think the next M should be a Male. A female M IMHO worked with the Brosnan movies as she was countered by Q.