The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

Comments

• ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent
    In 1964 while the rest of the world was basking in the light of Goldfinger and Bondmania was officially up and running, From Russia with Love was released in Japan and like the current Skyfall campaign the green two panel poster design was a bit of a lack lustre affair. In 1972 From Russia with Love was re-released internationally including Japan & the stunning two panel poster design which featured an image of Mr Connery from Thunderball & many key images from the movie simply put....KICKED ASS!
    FRWL.jpg
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I always liked the "key images" concept on the Bond posters - if I recall correctly, the last 007 poster of that kind was Octopussy.

Gorgeous poster, donk, it it on one of your stable doors? :D

One question as I have been recently confronted with 2 terrible faded japanese posters by sunlight.
    How do you protect these gems from fading?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Bondtoys wrote:
    I always liked the "key images" concept on the Bond posters - if I recall correctly, the last 007 poster of that kind was Octopussy.

Gorgeous poster, donk, it it on one of your stable doors? :D

One question as I have been recently confronted with 2 terrible faded japanese posters by sunlight.
    How do you protect these gems from fading?

Well first stop is linen backing during which process the poster needs to be deacified (is that a word?) from decades of handling as it is the acid in your skin which buggers them up. A competent linen backer can also bleach the poster to bring back the rich colour and fade out stains. An incompetent one will bugger up or even destroy the paper! As for sunlight mine are all framed, in a bunker with no windows & low LED light. -{
    so, does that mean, that I'll have to live the same dark and miserable life of yours to keep my posters away from fading? :D

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,518Chief of Staff
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    In 1964 while the rest of the world was basking in the light of Goldfinger and Bondmania was officially up and running, From Russia with Love was released in Japan and like the current Skyfall campaign the green two panel poster design was a bit of a lack lustre affair. In 1972 From Russia with Love was re-released internationally including Japan & the stunning two panel poster design which featured an image of Mr Connery from Thunderball & many key images from the movie simply put....KICKED ASS!
    FRWL.jpg

This is a classic example of why I much prefer Japanese artwork - its simply STUNNING !
    The artwork really 'grabs' you with its colour and style....it demands attention B-)

I LOVE it....thanks for sharing -{
    YNWA 97
    Bondtoys wrote:
    so, does that mean, that I'll have to live the same dark and miserable life of yours to keep my posters away from fading? :D

Well for starters I enjoy living in a bunker & if I go out into bright sunlight like my posters I'll burst into flame!

It depends how bad the fading is. Linen backing & discreet restoration really can bring a poster back to life. Some colours can be reapplied using original inks if you want to go that far? however if a poster has brown oil stains these are there for good. Best advice, buy original & go for the best example you can afford. Folded is not always best because if any weight is placed on top of said posters such as more posters, over a period of time the folds can wear out. I've recently unrolled a batch of quads including two different "original" YOLT which were once folded and found that the folds had separated because of the bulk of the other posters they were rolled with....FECK!! :#
    Thanks, Donk!

The mentioned japanese posters are from FYEO, so not overly expensive.
    The poster itself is new, but the red parts are heavily faded.
    It was frames behind a plexi glass front.
    I'll have soon a huge OHMSS poster on my wall, must linen-back it at first and am wondering what I can do to prevent it from having a similar problem.

Thanks!

Bondtoys wrote:
    Thanks, Donk!

The mentioned japanese posters are from FYEO, so not overly expensive.
    The poster itself is new, but the red parts are heavily faded.
    It was frames behind a plexi glass front.
    I'll have soon a huge OHMSS poster on my wall, must linen-back it at first and am wondering what I can do to prevent it from having a similar problem.

Thanks!

I'm assuming its the French 123" x 43" door panel. If it was folded? inspect the folds for separation, if any are taped get it professionally removed. Over a period of time tape can cause bleed through (brown stains). These need to be bleached out from behind not the front. Do not get a poster of this size paper backed as heavy folds will eventually transfer to the backing paper especially if you roll it. I'd recommend Paper Science in the UK and Chris Cloutier in the USA.
    Regards Donk -{
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    more of a bunk up than bunker :D
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    Bondtoys wrote:

Well for starters I enjoy living in a bunker & if I go out into bright sunlight like my posters I'll burst into flame!

It depends how bad the fading is. Linen backing & discreet restoration really can bring a poster back to life. Some colours can be reapplied using original inks if you want to go that far? however if a poster has brown oil stains these are there for good. Best advice, buy original & go for the best example you can afford. Folded is not always best because if any weight is placed on top of said posters such as more posters, over a period of time the folds can wear out. I've recently unrolled a batch of quads including two different "original" YOLT which were once folded and found that the folds had separated because of the bulk of the other posters they were rolled with....FECK!! :#
    "danjaq_0ff" more of a bunk up than bunker

No bunking in Donkey's bunker for a long long time oh King of the Plug! :x
  • MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    "danjaq_0ff" more of a bunk up than bunker

No bunking in Donkey's bunker for a long long time oh King of the Plug! :x

:)) poor bugger :D

Btw, I love that Japanese 2-panel FRWL poster - Very Cool -{
    Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
    time for a visit then Donk :D
    :D Minty's always ready for something :D

So is Donk :D
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    time for a visit then Donk :D

You know where I am my friend....in a loveless although well decked out bunker! :))
    The Liverpool Street train runs past you don't it Donk ?
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    The Liverpool Street train runs past you don't it Donk ?

That it do my luverlee :x
    Cool, I might use that then :)
    This may upset a few of the traditionalists for which Donk humbly apologises :007)

Enjoy it for what it is, a very clever piece of advertising....before it's removed!

noname.jpg
    yeah, and people criticizing me for getting off-topic 8-)

Wonder what the girl is doing there ?:)
    Marking her territory? :D

I think she may be rinsing her veg
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

yeah, but woundn't she make a kind of handstand then? :D
    No, drop that!

Bondtoys wrote:
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

yeah, but woundn't she make a kind of handstand then? :D
    No, drop that!

By the looks of it, she already dropped em :D

Wouldn't that be more like the Trevi Fountain :))
    That's a fantastic piece of marketing :x
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    That's a fantastic piece of marketing :x

I'm glad you agree. If you look closely and I have alot!, the young lady is fully clothed..sort of! :D
    I still don't understand the poster :#
    That young lady is selling used Aston Martins?
    Why don't we see her face then?

Used and abused by another man, but hey, it still has the nicest arse on the road :D
    edited March 2013
    Nobody Does it Better?
    Everyone knows the magnificent poster campaign artwork Frank McCarthy and Robert McGinnis created for both the Thunderball campaign of 1965 and You Only Live Twice campaign of 1967. Most countrties utilised this artwork in their poster campaigns but NOT Japan. They went in a slightly different direction to try and incorporate just about every major scene from the movie & for this the Japanese 2 panel, well it is just simply breathtaking only missing out the incredible Toyota 2000GT. If you look carefully you will see that the graphic artist has nicked some of Frank McCarthy's original images. These 2 panels were printed in very limited quantities in Japan & were not reprinted for the re-release of 1972.

DSC01817.jpg
    edited June 2013
    The most striking of all the Thunderball door panel posters is IMO #2, "LOOK DOWN" Martine Beswick as Paula Caplan, so striking in fact that DK's 50 Years of Bond Movie Posters book thought she was Claudine Auger whose actual door panel is credited as an unknown model? looking like one of the "Love that Joker" girls from Tim Burton's Batman leaving the stunning Luciana Paluzzi's door panel image looking like her head had been spliced onto another actresses body.
    Thunderball_2.jpg
    Great image....I'm glad you resurrected this thread....gotta love the posters and artwork -{
    YNWA 97