Weight Loss and Fitness Thread!

Comments

• WildeWilde Oxford, UKPosts: 621MI6 Agent
    Make sure you weigh yourself in under-wear alone and at the same time each day. Best to do so in the evening. If that's a correct calculation, then it's a huge loss in just one week - Well done! -{
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,582Chief of Staff
    Wilde wrote:
    Make sure you weigh yourself in under-wear alone and at the same time each day. Best to do so in the evening. If that's a correct calculation, then it's a huge loss in just one week - Well done! -{

I wouldn't weigh myself each day as any weight loss will be minimal...weigh yourself once a week exactly as stated above.
    I'm sure you know all this though -{
    YNWA 97
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,278MI6 Agent
    Well, that was a week and I've lost 4lb 8oz. So bloody chuffed really! :D

Haven't exercised much - just twice on the bike - so planning to factor in more this week.

And guys - 16 stone is kind of my goal - hey, I'm big boned! :D

But let's have a bit more flesh on these facts, sa. I mean, how much do you weigh now and how tall are you? Or is that on a need to know basis?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    Na - not bothered. 6ft and 19stone 3lb. Started last week as 19st 7lb and got a shock on the scales - thought I was 18 ish.
    I lost weight before - 2 stone to get into the army when I was eighteen. I almost immediately went back up to 15 stone where I stayed for ten years or so.

IMG_0455.jpg

This is me a couple of months ago, to be honest probably the same weight as I am now - I'm big, but have never had a huge gut - but just want to get a few stone off and get fit again.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Wilde wrote:

I wouldn't weigh myself each day as any weight loss will be minimal...weigh yourself once a week exactly as stated above.
    I'm sure you know all this though -{

I meant the same time on each weigh-in day! :D
    I've been losing a heck of a lot of weight this last two weeks - all undone by a press trip to Poland, where the food is pure stodge. Will post my advice when I get back to how it was before. :# Feel a bit of a fraud otherwise.

I was talking to a polish chef once and he was telling me how he thickened his sauces with all the excess fat skimmed off the dishes he made - melted, added to flour and tipped into the sauce at the end - nice... :#
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

Still going strong without cheating. Feel the belt loosening a bit now but decided not to weigh until next monday, at the same time etc. Seriously flagging by lunchtime though. Got some bag work in last night and felt seriously buggered... :#
    This is the longest I've stuck at it in recent years so feeling good about that. :D

Anyway, some more people out there must want to shape up and lose a few pounds so join me and we'll help each other out. I've thrown my hat in the ring here - you all know I need to lose weight, but the pressure of failure is keeping me going. I like this site and sure as hell aren't going to stop using it because I failed. So take a leap, because it just might be the incentive you need. :D

• danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Still going strong without cheating. Feel the belt loosening a bit now but decided not to weigh until next monday, at the same time etc. Seriously flagging by lunchtime though. Got some bag work in last night and felt seriously buggered... :#
    This is the longest I've stuck at it in recent years so feeling good about that. :D

Anyway, some more people out there must want to shape up and lose a few pounds so join me and we'll help each other out. I've thrown my hat in the ring here - you all know I need to lose weight, but the pressure of failure is keeping me going. I like this site and sure as hell aren't going to stop using it because I failed. So take a leap, because it just might be the incentive you need. :D

Id be up for it, BUT I do loves me Hamburgers :D
    I hardly ever eat burgers, but for some reason a really REALLY want a double whopper right now!!!!!!!

:D I haven't had a Burger for about a week, I only have BK when out of town, for some reason here they microwave them 8-)
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    :D I haven't had a Burger for about a week, I only have BK when out of town, for some reason here they microwave them 8-)

I've seen that in loads of outlets. I think they come in cooked and pre-flame grilled, and frozen then get nuked to order... :#

Phuyuck :D

Like I said...I need to lose a stone - at least...and I've semi-started trying to - THAT'S dedication for you :))

I'm trying to cut down on the food I do eat and, during the week anyway, trying to eat only when I'm hungry...

I go swimming at the weekend and try and take at least an hours walk a day. Not exactly the work-out DC does for Bond...but it's fine for me :D

I don't have weighscales in the house...my clothes tell me how fat I am :#
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

Like I said...I need to lose a stone - at least...and I've semi-started trying to - THAT'S dedication for you :))

I'm trying to cut down on the food I do eat and, during the week anyway, trying to eat only when I'm hungry...

I go swimming at the weekend and try and take at least an hours walk a day. Not exactly the work-out DC does for Bond...but it's fine for me :D

I don't have weighscales in the house...my clothes tell me how fat I am :#

Do what I've already said, and that stone will fall off in about 4-6 weeks. Plus, swimming is one of the best cardiovascular exercises you can do, but make sure you're doing lengths and breathing correctly, make a personal competition out of it.

Don't just do what I do and get side-tracked by all the ladies in swim-wear! :)
    Wilde wrote:
    Do what I've already said, and that stone will fall off in about 4-6 weeks. Plus, swimming is one of the best cardiovascular exercises you can do, but make sure you're doing lengths and breathing correctly, make a personal competition out of it.

Don't just do what I do and get side-tracked by all the ladies in swim-wear! :)

I know...but diets don't work...it's about lifestyle change...eating more healthily and regular excersise need to be a part of your standard lifestyle...and it's NEVER that easy :)) :#
    YNWA 97
    Doing alright until I ate one of the kids' jam sandwiches, then another... Bollocks. Of all the things to break it on I'm not even that bothered about jam. :# It wouldn't be so bad but the Mrs was making some jam last week and I saw how much sugar was in it - about 50% fruit to 50% sugar!! It probably isn't so bad, but I'd rather it had been a snickers bar or a beer, that's all.

You're punishing yourselves! Just eat less fat/saturated fat and eat small amounts of food every 3 hours. Trust me. :)
    Doing alright until I ate one of the kids' jam sandwiches, then another... Bollocks. Of all the things to break it on I'm not even that bothered about jam. :# It wouldn't be so bad but the Mrs was making some jam last week and I saw how much sugar was in it - about 50% fruit to 50% sugar!! It probably isn't so bad, but I'd rather it had been a snickers bar or a beer, that's all.

Don't panic...reward yourself with something you like at the weekend...that way you have a better chance to stick at it...don't deny your body the stuff you like...just have a small amount as your weekend treat...
    YNWA 97
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    Wilde wrote:
    You're punishing yourselves! Just eat less fat/saturated fat and eat small amounts of food every 3 hours. Trust me. :)

Yeah, all the fitness nuts I know say to eat on the five meal plan, the big 3 meals are too much at once and your body only needs part of it at the time that you eat it so it just stores the rest. Small meals cater to your bodies current needs and don't fill it with extra calories that it won't need yet.

That said, I am no fitness nut so I eat 3 meals a day.
    Mr Beech wrote:
    Wilde wrote:

Yeah, all the fitness nuts I know say to eat on the five meal plan, the big 3 meals are too much at once and your body only needs part of it at the time that you eat it so it just stores the rest. Small meals cater to your bodies current needs and don't fill it with extra calories that it won't need yet.

That said, I am no fitness nut so I eat 3 meals a day.

Quite, it keeps your metabolism working all day long as the body is always digesting. Also it prevents you getting tired from digesting a huge meal and therefore allows you to remain active throughout the day.
    Well it's monday, so that's the end of week two. Lost five pounds, so that's 9 altogether. Very pleased, but went all-out at a bbq today.... :#

That's good. Keep it up! -{
    Well it's monday, so that's the end of week two. Lost five pounds, so that's 9 altogether. Very pleased, but went all-out at a bbq today.... :#

get some bran down ya neck, it will help with the bbq exit :D
  • toutbruntoutbrun Washington, USAPosts: 1,501MI6 Agent
    There is plenty of scientific evidence that says that even though doing exercise is very good for you (and building muscle), it will not make you lose considerable weight. The only way to lose weight is to eat less. 1200 calories per day is a good target. I would suggest eating protein supplements (say, at lunch) so that you can keep your muscles. Eat plenty of fish, non-fat yogurt, vegetables, one piece of red meat per week, drink tea.
    If you can't trust a Swiss banker, what's the world come to?
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    toutbrun wrote:
    There is plenty of scientific evidence that says that even though doing exercise is very good for you (and building muscle), it will not make you lose considerable weight. The only way to lose weight is to eat less. 1200 calories per day is a good target. I would suggest eating protein supplements (say, at lunch) so that you can keep your muscles. Eat plenty of fish, non-fat yogurt, vegetables, one piece of red meat per week, drink tea.

1200 calories ... Are you kidding??! Would have to strongly disagree with that. 500 calories below maintenance level (i.e. 2000 per day) should enable a loss of approx. 1-2 pounds per week. There's not many who can even function on 1500 calories per day, so not sure where your figure comes from.

A cleaner diet, with good sources of lean proteins in it, along with good fats (oils, avocado etc) & non-refined carbs will help the OP to get on the road to a sustainable loss of weight. Throw in some cardio based upon raising the heart rate above normal levels & some resistance training along the way and it's the basis for a solid start.
    Have to agree with Ens007, if you cut back THAT much your body will start hanging on to fat and you'll be burning muscle instead and will also convert excess energy sources in to fat. Fact is, the body is pre-programmed for survival in a pre-civilised world and fat stores are like a large reserve tank.

The trick is to convince the body that you're not starving and that you don't need the reserves. Breaking about 2,000 calories down in to 6 meals a day will do just that.

Regards,
    Wilde -{
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,278MI6 Agent
    This site might be up secretagent's alley, what with his squaddie background:

www.britmilfit.com

British Military Fitness.

I don't think 1,200 calories is that low, but depends on your build and what you're doing all day.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • smudgedudesmudgedude Posts: 162MI6 Agent
    1,200 is entirely too low.

it's okay to have 2,000 calories a day. it just depends on how you ration those calories out throughout the day. if you can keep your metabolism working all day, and if you don't take in more calories during any meal than what your body immediately needs, with a smart workout plan you'll lose weight.
  • toutbruntoutbrun Washington, USAPosts: 1,501MI6 Agent
    Ens007 wrote:
    toutbrun wrote:

1200 calories ... Are you kidding??! Would have to strongly disagree with that. 500 calories below maintenance level (i.e. 2000 per day) should enable a loss of approx. 1-2 pounds per week. There's not many who can even function on 1500 calories per day, so not sure where your figure comes from.

A cleaner diet, with good sources of lean proteins in it, along with good fats (oils, avocado etc) & non-refined carbs will help the OP to get on the road to a sustainable loss of weight. Throw in some cardio based upon raising the heart rate above normal levels & some resistance training along the way and it's the basis for a solid start.

The Karl Lagerfeld diet (ft. Dr. Jean Claude Houdret) suggest that you could go as down as 800 calories. Your body can take 1200 calories regimes because you have accumulated fat so you can live on that, but it's important to have the nutriments and vitamins, hence supplements, fiber and protein to keep your muscle mass.
    If you can't trust a Swiss banker, what's the world come to?
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    Hey TSA well done brother..that's progress....

Some good advice on here , but I sense all techniques are optimal for different people and maybe you should get some personal advice.

But your well on your way....

My program took a beating last week on a very boozy cruise, so it's back to the gym as of yesterday and no more booze!

Hang in there TSA... -{