Weight Loss and Fitness Thread!

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    BTW, just a thought, but 6kg = one stone.

About the weight of that defrosted turkey on Christmas morning for all the family, heavy thing to lift as you slide it into the oven. Now, imagine carrying that around with you all day. :o

Spread out over your entire body, granted. I mean, if at 20 someone said, right, you have to carry two of these Christmas turkeys around with you, all day, for the next few years or even more, I swear, you'd do yourself a mischief.

Yet that's what I've been doing.... Jeez. :o :o :o :o :o :o
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    I tend to think of 1lb as two standard packets of butter. Then (I miscalculated to be honest, and it's 8lb I've lost) that's 16 packets!
    Had a roast dinner out today, but that's not bad as I usually go for a large burger or club sandwich with chips at the pub on a sunday, and had a pint of diet coke, and in all a pretty active day to compensate the treat. Running alongside my daughter as I took the stabilizers off her bike for about an hour, then teaching my son to swim. Buying a decent set of weights tomorrow as well.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
    Ah, was gonna mention weights. It's not bad to buy little dumb bells of 1kg each, when it comes to reps they get you nice and trimmed, I use them and they're good for stretching exercises without getting your neck veins throbbing.

But pick up 1kg and it seems like nothing - at first.

Let us know when you've lost a stone, tsa, as you say you then slide... we'll make sure you don't. Oh, tell your family of course, they shouldn't let you fall of the wagon.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Got just under 12 stone for first time in 6 years or more. Not bad, just need to keep at it. Mind you, if you measure the fat lost in kg, it doesn't seem like much...

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Well done Nap. -{
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

Okay, some vital things.

1) Hmmmm. Hot weather! Time to enjoy a nice cold diet pepsi, to spite the Olympic sponsors if nothing else.

But what's this? Only a few hours later, I have a craving for the Pret chocolate brownie, first time in weeks!

That's sugar addiction for ya! :#

2) That beer...

Visiting friends, if you can't enjoy yourself now, when can ya? Wine? Well, it always costs a lot and won't last long. So beer it is.

Except... in hot weather, it really sits on the stomach. Your metabolism is so slow, it won't burn off like it does any other time of year. So you can always go for a soft drink, even cola is better than that, and cheaper too. G+T, though of course that don't last long. Maybe gin and lots of tonic water, in a tall glass. -{

3) Hot nights

You won't sleep well, won't burn off fat like you normally do when asleep. Install a fan if you can.

4) Those nice elasticated shorts, swim trunk outfits. Look and feel great! But what's this? A few days later, you struggle to get back into your trousers. Yep, they tell lies on you.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • 001001 ClassifiedPosts: 68MI6 Agent
    Recently, as in within the last three months, I've made some changes to my diet and fitness regiment. By changes, I mean actually start a diet and fitness regiment. So far, I've given up all soda and alcohol (haven't had a drop since I started), started buying whole grain and organic foods (zero junk food), and cut out all red meat. The diet wasn't the hard part for me. It was the fitness.....

Every other day, I jog around 1.5 to 2 miles, try to do 100 push ups and 100 crunches. I can do around 80 pushups and all 100 crunches. I'm 6'1 and down to 185 now. I was 200 when I started. Oh, and swimming. I try to swim as often as I can, but it's sporadic. Best part? I don't go to the gym, so I save money. With no money being spent on drinks or junk food, I actually save money buying the better foods. It's working (so far, anyway). I'm by no means "big", but I'm trying to lean out, not bulk up. I'm happy with the results so far, and I recommend everyone to try it.

To all of you working on fitness and diet goals, very best of luck to you. I'm rooting for you.
    -{
    001.gif
  • Trigger_MortisTrigger_Mortis Posts: 100MI6 Agent
    I've been working hard at my weight loss for 12 months now, currently 15kg lighter than when I started, plan to lose another 5kg and then just maintain it after that. At the moment i'm buying my smallest ever jeans, suits and coats. It's the most rewarding ego boost ever!
    Any details Joel, just as weight then and now, height etc?

I always thought blokes are deterred from getting a bespoke suit as they always imagine they'll be losing a stone in weight in the next few months.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Yep, no worries.

Height: 175cms

Weight as of 29/07/2012: 69.00kg - 70.50kg (depending on the time of day I exercise, eat, weigh myself)

Weight on 12/01/2012 as diarised: 78.66kg

Weight on 22/03/2011 as diarised: 83.15kg

Waist measurement now: 30-32

Waist measurement 2010-mid 2011: 36

This has been a long long battle for me for a while. I'm currently 27 and began this journey when I was 19. When I was 19 I weighed 93kg and have been up and down like a yoyo but it's only very recent i've enjoyed the success I currently have. For now, no signs of cravings, junk food relapses or starvation.
    Oh, we're in the same area, but you're a fair bit ahead of me in that I'm about 76kg. That is just under 12 stone, used to be 12 and a half. Hopefully in a few months I'll be where you are, at least before the season changes and it becomes harder to lose weight.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Oh, we're in the same area, but you're a fair bit ahead of me in that I'm about 76kg. That is just under 12 stone, used to be 12 and a half. Hopefully in a few months I'll be where you are, at least before the season changes and it becomes harder to lose weight.

Just keep going. Like I said, this has been (so far) 8 years in the making. This involved trial and error approaches to food and fitness. It's all about finding what works for you in terms of short term endurance and life long sustainability. I've found mine and i'm happy to share some tips. But I generally hold off on advising only because i've had a lot of people tell me what I should and shouldn't do where i've had varying degrees of success. Ultimately, it just comes down to you. Honesty is the key. If I can get to a size 30 in jeans, i'll be pretty happy. At the moment, suits and coats are fitting in fairly small sizes directly off the shelf. It's been life altering!

Some of my favourite labels include Boss, Jack London, Versace, Ralph Lauren, Ted Baker and Paul Smith.

My fashion sense is inspired by 007, The Gallagher Brothers, The Beatles, The Godfather, and Oliver Stone's Wall Street.

Think polos, jeans, suits, coats, collar shirts, sneakers etc...all of which are looking THE BEST they ever have on me.
    Cheers Joel. But here's what I don't get. I can now get into a 32in waist, it's not such a squeeze, no real overhang or anything like that. But, around the waist with a tape measure, I'm about 36in! What gives? Which is accurate? :s

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I know the thing with trousers. I can ease into 42", though have a pair of jeans in a 40" that are comfortable. Relaxed I measure 44" on a tape. My chest measures 55", but I buy loose fitting tops that say 50".

Slipped off this past week or so. We've bbq'd like crazy with this weather. I haven't gone mad, but just noticed that the small M&S soft white buns have 190 calories! Each! There were three types of oil in them, a daily amount of salt and sugar - I'm definitely going to make my own bread, or give it up.

Back on it tomorrow. Maybe without bread.

Well, if you love bread, you're addicted to it. Which is the same as allergic, funnily enough.

Some years ago, someone wrote into these magazine doctors, saying they loved grapefruit juice, couldn't get enough of it, but was it harmful? They said no, but did add that if you were drinking so much, chances are you were allergic to it, so better look into that.

And that's it. Addicted = allergic, for me. Obv same for smoking, drinking alcohol. If you have a craving, on some level your body is allergic to it.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    Well not wanting to blow my own trumpet (Too much Anyway) I passed my exam and am now the first official affiliate of the Training For Warriors system in the uk. www.trainingforwarriors.com

scroll down the right hand side and there's a link to my site.
    so if anyone's in the London area and wants help with fitness and diet ect or wants to learn some Martial arts look me up
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
    Starting a karate class tonight. Should be good for getting fit. Not sure yet if I can keep previous grades, or whether they'll bump me down a few belts. Or even if i have to start over. It's actually been eighteen years since I last went to a class, so I guess they'll let me know after tonight's performance!
    Anybody who's interested in martial arts it's a Bujinkai based karate, though draws heavily from wad ryu for the first few belts, as it's an easier style to learn.

Feeling very stiff and unflexible as I type this though. :#

Yeah, fallen off the wagon myself. My downfall? Chesty cough, so sugar-based glyceron or something. How many calories did that bottle have? Yuk.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Ten pounds off now. Pretty slow progress really. However, I'm not really dieting just excersising. I'm now doing a two hour karate session each week, and have found it pretty exhausting, but brilliant. Very stiff, but I'm stretching and training at home daily.

Just did a bit of shopping to catch the tail end of the winter season sales (Australia). I've achieved a size 30 in jeans, small size shirts and jumpers. 5 more kg and I think i'll just work on maintaining it after that.
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    I've never been able to keep any weight off and all diets and exercise regimes have been relatively short lived. It's all crept up on me but in the past 2 weeks or so I've actually managed to achieve something.
    My mom invited me along with some of her friends (whom I know) who had decided to meet weekly, weigh and then go for a walk. My mom christened it 'Fat Club' and we've all been doing pretty well. I've been the most successful so far (lost 6 pounds in total) although I suspect that this is probably down to the fact that I've got a lot more to loose than the others overall.
    It's my summer hols from university at the moment and being a lazy bugger, I'm never up for breakfast. Lunch is pitta bread, humus, grapes and low calories crisps. Tea varies but lately my dad has been doing a lot of home cooking so we've all had a lot less processed crap. My exercise is fairly light as I find if I make it too strict it's impossible to stick to. A decent 3/4 mile walk or 2 a week and 1 or 2 bike rides so far. I did 10 miles on my bike earlier this week, something I didn't expect I'd be able to do so am planning on it more often as I really enjoyed it.
    Things seem to be going well so far, although I'm concerned a bit about heading back to uni where my weight went down first term, but grew up again after that. I'll have more structure there - as in 3 meals a day, but whereas I hardly drink at home, I am the typical student at uni. My alcohol choices do me no favours - it's lager and sugary cocktails all the way with vodka shots thrown in now and then. I have no idea what to do about all this. I've come to love my dad's gin over the summer, but I could do with something besides gin and tonic to drink.
    My alternative is to up my exercise. I played rugby a bit last year and I really want to throw myself into it this year as there's training and fitness twice a week as well as a game. There's a gym on campus but I know I'll miss my bike. I thought about taking it but it seems pointless during the autumn/winter term.
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
  • WildeWilde Oxford, UKPosts: 621MI6 Agent
    Just get your 20minutes of heart pumping exercise every day, eat 6 small meals throughout the course and don't consume over 2200 calories (and count the bastards). You'll lose it. ;)
    Peasy - unless it's an alcohol day, my calorie intake rarely goes beyond 1200! B-)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    edited September 2012
    Sugar is the key- eat fats, cheese, bread, whatever, but wine, chocolates, cookies, all have to be in moderation. And ALL fast foods are sugar (high fructose corn syrup) filled. Meats are generally filled with hormones which also make you gain weight; not eating factory-farmed birds & mammals have been of benefit to me personally. At nearly 6' tall, I have rarely been over 160lbs (72kg) thanks to avoiding such nonsense. And I eat pizza constantly. Practicing Kung Fu helps.
    FWIW.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    Peasy - unless it's an alcohol day, my calorie intake rarely goes beyond 1200! B-)

I can pretty much guarantee that it does ;)

1200 calories is next to nothing over the course of an average day.
    At the moment I really don't thing so. I only have 2 meals a day and know my lunch is about 350 and my dinner probably 750/800 max. I rarely snack, don't have desert and mainly drink water or squash. This is all likely to change once I go back to uni though!

Btw, as of this morning I've lost half a stone :)
    At the moment I really don't thing so. I only have 2 meals a day and know my lunch is about 350 and my dinner probably 750/800 max. I rarely snack, don't have desert and mainly drink water or squash. This is all likely to change once I go back to uni though!

Btw, as of this morning I've lost half a stone :)

Being honest, I think that this approach will end up possibly doing you more harm than good ... you're not doing yourself any favours by effectively "starving" yourself. Your body is a furnace and it needs fuel to keep it burning. If you stop doing this, you'll hold on to fat reserves, as the body will in effect try to protect itself and ultimately it'll actually start attacking your muscle. Try eating 5-6 small feeds per day, comprising lean sources of proteins (eggs, chicken, fish, steak etc), good fats (E V Olive Oil, nuts, avocado etc) and clean carbs (brown rice / pasta, sweet potato). Vegetables (particularly green fibrous) are your friend.

Well done on the exercise you've started, however the harsh reality is that diet / nutrition is 70% of the hard work ... most in the know would confirm that you can't out-train a poor diet. If you can, try doing some bodyweight stuff - press ups, dips, prisoner squats, lunges etc. Youtube will help. Working the legs burns more calories, as it's the biggest muscle group all round.

Best of luck!
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    edited September 2012
    I've got to the point after years of working out on and off (mainly pumping iron) where I am happy with my level of muscle etc but really want to get my body fat down. Last month I had great results burning fat by eating high amounts of protein and eating just oats and green a veg for carbs.

I avoided Bread, Pasta, Potatoes and the fat fell off me but I kept muscle due to all the chicken, tuna and whey protein I was consuming. However wouldn't advise for a regular dieter.

PS - I detest muscle forums due to all the ego meatheads etc however this is a great thread for motivation with REAL people putting in hard work. FAT to FIT

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108359701&page=181
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Ens007 wrote:
    Being honest, I think that this approach will end up possibly doing you more harm than good ... you're not doing yourself any favours by effectively "starving" yourself.
    On the other hand, calorie restriction has been shown to nearly double the life span of rats in studies. Of course, care must be taken to get all your primaries...
    http://www.fightaging.org/archives/2001/11/calorie-restriction-explained.php
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    chrisisall wrote:
    Ens007 wrote:
    Being honest, I think that this approach will end up possibly doing you more harm than good ... you're not doing yourself any favours by effectively "starving" yourself.
    On the other hand, calorie restriction has been shown to nearly double the life span of rats in studies. Of course, care must be taken to get all your primaries...
    http://www.fightaging.org/archives/2001/11/calorie-restriction-explained.php

I wouldn't subscribe to that view myself, as starving your body will greatly affect & reduce your metabolism. By going into starvation mode, it will hold onto every ounce of substance you consume for as long as possible. Once you start eating normally again, your body will continue to hold onto everything and you'll end up re-gaining everything back you lost plus some. Therefore in the long run, starvation diets will actually cause you to gain weight.

Second, starving will lead to a loss of muscle mass, instead of fat mass. After a short time, your body will see your muscles as the better choice of nutrients for energy as they are made of proteins and therefore it'll start to feed on your muscles instead, causing you to lose a significant amount of muscle mass. Muscles burn at least 1/3rd of the calories you consume and help raise your metabolism, so if your body eats at your muscle mass because you're starving yourself, then you will lose the ability to burn up those extra calories.

Of greater importance is the fact that starving yourself will do damage to your body, some of which could be permanent. Your body will feed on itself, destroying the proteins and minerals that your body needs to function properly. The heart, kidneys, pancreas, liver, lungs & pretty much everything else will suffer from malnutrition. As the body begins to feed on muscles, your heart (the largest muscle in the body) will weaken. You'll probably experience some dizziness as your heart will have trouble supplying your body the right amount of oxyginated blood to your organs, brain, and extermities. Passing out is a high probability and you'll promote an extreme risk of organ failure and heart failure. Starving yourself can seriously harm you therefore.

For me, it definitely isn't worth it. Try to change the way you eat, such as switching burgers and fries for a lean meats with salad and / or fruit. Change meals to high protein meats like fish, chicken or steak (red meat only once or twice a week), and to substitute frying foods for baking or grilling them. Try to use E V Olive Oil. Cut back on treats but do indulge yourself once a week (so that it doesn't seem a constant chore). Make sure to "spike" your caloric intake, varying it around days you exercise - higher calorie days on training days & lower on non-training days.