Weight Loss and Fitness Thread!

Comments

• Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Ens007 wrote:
    As bizarre as it sounds, I'm generally on steak / lean cuts of beef and / or eggs for my 1st meal of the day.
    Red meat has loads of carnitine, and CAUSES atherosclerosis.
    I'd advise protein from another source. :007)

Cheers for your post - I'm aware of the historical link with excessive red meat & coronary issues, however there appears to be quite a lot of scientists / 'experts' who seem to have debunked the theories.

TBH I don't partake in it (red meat) every day & do try to vary protein sources as best as possible - difficult when you absolutely detest fish! - however have found benefits from doing it, especially regarding raising levels of neurotransmitters & aminos. I found this a pretty good explanation of the thinking behind it:

http://www.strongandleanaustralia.com/1/post/2012/09/meat-nut-breakfast-explained.html

Charles Poliquin (a well known trainer / 'guru' is also a pretty big advocate:

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/270/The_Meat_and_Nut_Breakfast.aspx

Tbh my main reasoning was to try to get away from breads, cereals & oats first thing and have felt better for it. Each to their own I'm sure as it won't be everyone's cup of tea.

I'm sure another load of egg-heads will come along soon to throw a whole new spin on things! :D
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Ens007 wrote:
    Cheers for your post - I'm aware of the historical link with excessive red meat & coronary issues, however there appears to be quite a lot of scientists / 'experts' who seem to have debunked the theories.
    I don't even care much what scientists say any more, it's all common sense (not commonly held however):
    Anything you can't pronounce, can't spell, don't know what it is, need a lab to make or never goes bad, you should not consume. Animals injected with hormones & antibiotics or fed with GMO foods or their own feces, you should not consume. Stuff that rots your teeth fast (sugar) you should not consume.
    Basically that's it. Everything in moderation though, including moderation.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    edited July 2013
    Hows everybodys fitness doing???

After a few false starts this year I am back on a serious stretch and feeling quite good already and highly motivated at the moment which is strange being midwinter in the Falklands! Muscle memory is a fine thing and after 2 weeks back at the gym my muscles are back to form however im currently trying to cut my fat this time hence doing cardio every other day however slightly mixed up then usual e.g. Jumping off the cardio machines and doing 30 pressups or pullups or crunches every 5 mins etc which seems to make the cardio more fun and a hell of a lot more knackering!!

Stayed away from Jogging / running due to lower back pain (had this a long time) however I have been doing various lumbar strengthening exercises that seem to be working wonders hence this weekend will start light jogging instead of cycling / cross machines.

Diet seems to be going good, ive never been good at counting the calories hence just eating regular (6 times a day) with smaller portions and clean food e.g.

Im trying to reduce calories hence

Breakfast Scrambled Eggs (4 whole and 2 whites) with wholemeal toast
    Mid morning snack: Protein Shake with mixed berries blended in
    Lunch: Tuna Salad
    Mid Afternoon snack: Another Protein Shake
    Dinner Grilled fish or Chicken, Veg and Rice
    Also normally another shake post workout

Off booze and junk completely though have a party this weekend but will try and have a few glasses of Vino to limit the damage instead of 10 coronas lol

To make things more fun, my gym partner and I will do a hardcore session after work on the last Fri of each month and then go for a good steak, salad and wine somewhere hence something to look forward to

Hopefully I can stick at this for a few months, I can see the difference in the mirror after a few weeks hence good for motivation for now!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    Hey! Trying to get back on track with this but 2 recent trips to Poland, with their hospitality and three courses every time set me back, so I am heavier by a stone since my lowest point before Xmas. Also been run down with night sweats but the sunny weather seems to be curing that so the gym beckons.

Working through two 2 litre bottles of mineral water at work per day.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Hey! Trying to get back on track with this but 2 recent trips to Poland, with their hospitality and three courses every time set me back, so I am heavier by a stone since my lowest point before Xmas. Also been run down with night sweats but the sunny weather seems to be curing that so the gym beckons.

Working through two 2 litre bottles of mineral water at work per day.

Yeah I had a month away in the UK and US which consisted of Eat Eat Eat :D

Water and Green Tea for me at the mo
    If you're in to circuits type stuff Welshy (or fancy doing a different one), this gets the heart & lungs going - especially when you're 3 sets of the 5 in & all you want to do is collapse!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3rHcndYPw8

[If you haven't got a sled, grab 2 heavy dumbells and walk as fast as you can for approx. 30m]

Enjoy! :D {[]
    Ens007 wrote:
    If you're in to circuits type stuff Welshy (or fancy doing a different one), this gets the heart & lungs going - especially when you're 3 sets of the 5 in & all you want to do is collapse!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3rHcndYPw8

[If you haven't got a sled, grab 2 heavy dumbells and walk as fast as you can for approx. 30m]

Enjoy! :D {[]

Cool. I have been trying to get more into the circuit type workout as I def need to push myself more (in fact I need a good beasting lol)
    Had 2 weeks of doing stuff similar to that (3 x sessions per week) & the sweat was tipping out of me.

Try & nail 5 x sets with 15-20 reps per exercise (getting the weight right is key as the reps are what counts), with the farmer walks / sled pulls at the end. Take 3 mins rest between sets.

Have fun! :))
    Here's one, I sort of fell off the exercise wagon a couple of months ago, and I LOST 10 lbs!!! Excercise gives me an appetite... :s
    I started again, and I've gained 3 lbs back already. At 5' 11" I hate being under 160.
    Getting fit doesn't equal losing weight, not at all.

Can't you just do a 1km run round the block before breakfast? Then maybe twice a week, sauna for 30 mins then 20 min interval training on running machine at gym, alternating one minute at 12.5km, one minute at around 8.5km? That would be enough imo, and have a protein bar afterwards to ward off choccie stuff.

Killing yourself at the gym just means, oooh I'm hungry now!

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Getting fit doesn't equal losing weight, not at all.

Can't you just do a 1km run round the block before breakfast? Then maybe twice a week, sauna for 30 mins then 20 min interval training on running machine at gym, alternating one minute at 12.5km, one minute at around 8.5km? That would be enough imo, and have a protein bar afterwards to ward off choccie stuff.

Killing yourself at the gym just means, oooh I'm hungry now!

I'd personally always favour resistance training over cardio any day of the week! I still do interval training each week, but the core elements of my training programme are weights & (trying) to gain lean muscle.

Having said that, IMO any training is pretty futile for weight loss if you don't sort out the nutrition side of things.
    What kind of resistance training? Do you mean just doing weights? Lean muscle sounds good.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    What kind of resistance training? Do you mean just doing weights? Lean muscle sounds good.

I'd say anything that uses weights or body weight ... probably not the best at explaining this tbh, but in my own simplistic way I see it that fat needs to be replaced by something & that something is ideally lean muscle. Running mile after mile might be great for training your heart, but I'm not entirely sure that it stimulates having a 'decent' physique overall - prepares to duck! :p

If you have access to a gym then I'd say utilising bench press, squats, deadlifts, pull downs, lunges, shoulder presses, dips etc - these are compound exercises that use more than one muscle group. If you're at home you can still do body weight squats, press ups, dips using a chair etc etc. Youtube has a lot of great workouts on there. If you start this sort of training then I'm not on about wacking 5-6000 calories down you a day & eating chickens galore, but instead keeping to eating a decent balanced diet consisting of good sources of proteins, fats & carbohydrates.

A lot of people look at relative physiques of 2 types of typical athlete - one being a sprinter & another being a long distance runner. Not many sprinters spend hours galore running mile upon mile. Instead it's short & sharp and very intense. There's plenty of weights work for muscle development / growth and for explosive power and also short periods of time spent training at near enough maximum effort. There's quite a few well regarded PT's out there advocate weight / resistance training 3-4 times per week, with in the region of 1-2 high intensity training sessions per week thrown in too (i.e. sprint, short rest period, sprint again etc - the session lasting probably no more than 25/30 mins).

Just re-read this and it's a bit of a ramble with apologies, but hopefully made some sense! :D
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    No so much a question on weight loss but rather, Has anyone got any tips on
    Getting yourself in the right frame of mind to start a training programe, or motivate
    yourself to get up and start doing something to get fitter and slimmer. ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited September 2013
    Hmm motivation (something im lacking myself at the mo)

I usually find a good action film can inspire me in a cheesy way

Also when the weather heats up after winter I usually feel like a Teletubby wearing something light and fitted lol
    Getting yourself in the right frame of mind to start a training programe, or motivate

Tbh TP when I first started on the long road towards getting myself in to better shape, I had pretty much the same question. The long & short of it is that it has to be from within & you've got to motivate yourself. Easier said than done (particularly if the weather is gash & you're planning on going for a walk / jog / near coronary), but when you're out there & finally doing it, things do then seem a little better. Once you've done the first session, then straight away start thinking about the next one as it keeps your thoughts in a positive. Make a diary or note of what you've done, as in a couple of weeks you'll see (hopefully!) some progress.

Are you working towards a particular goal? Are you planning on using a gym or just your own type of exercise?

One of the best things I did was to get some of my favourite higher tempo tunes on the walkman & then I just thought bollocks to it - just go for it!

I also had a look at stuff on youtube & invested in a few fitness magazines to give me some initial ideas of things to do by way of exercise. Above all though, I tried to plan out what I'd be eating & the types of food I'd have & when I'd have them.

If I can help (& I'm by no means an expert in any way, shape or form) give me a shout & I'll gladly try and give some pointers.
    Ens007 wrote:
    One of the best things I did was to get some of my favourite higher tempo tunes on the walkman & then I just thought bollocks to it - just go for it!

I find this ultra important in my cardio sessions - wiped my phone the other day and my playlists were gone, missed them dreadfully during my cardio session. Makes me go the extra mile with some decent audio bashing thru my ears!
    Look at it like a job that pays you (in fitness). Report to work, and do the job. Like it or don't; that's immaterial. Do it, get it over with. Every time.
    Yeah, don't join lovefilm! :)) That said, you could hire a Pilates DVD off it I'm sure.

Sometimes you just feel like doing it, others you don't. Erm, get plenty of sleep, take some vitamins eg Selenium ACE, magnesium, Vit D3 from Holland and Barrett or the Wassen range in Boots. Drink a pint of water when you get a sugar craving, then see if you still have it. Go for a 1km run or jog around the block taking 10 mins, just before breakfast.

Don't gird yourself up for it imo though, and don't think 'diet'. The body will sabotage you in retalitation. Ease in to it and eat loads at first - but just protein and healthy stuff rather than rubbish. Never go hungry. Then start to cut back, after a fortnight.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Oh, and maybe do a blood test for Coeliacs disease, which it appears I might have. If you feel tired after a meal and have less energy than before, this may be the reason, a wheat or gluten intolerance. Djovkovich the tennis player has it as I'm sure you've all read about.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Thanks guys, No I don't think I've got any disease problems just Laziness, I'm going to
    take it easy and just add some extra walking and cut down on the late night Curries, and
    Agreed I will not call it a diet :))
    I don't have any fitness goals, just want to get a little healhier. I don't want to be the next
    Mr UK or anything. :)) Although I could post a pic or two of me in my speedos as a treat for
    everyone, ;) ( I'm a bit like the bloke on the beach in the southern comfort ad )
    So I should be a bit healither from today. ( Probably be hit by a Bus, now ) :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited September 2013
    Coeliacs disease
    It could also be a less intense reaction to gluten mixed with a natural systemic shutdown for digestion (which is what I appear to have).

This is interesting:
    http://180degreehealth.com/2013/04/why-am-i-sleepy-after-i-eat
    Oh, and maybe do a blood test for Coeliacs disease, which it appears I might have. If you feel tired after a meal and have less energy than before, this may be the reason, a wheat or gluten intolerance. Djovkovich the tennis player has it as I'm sure you've all read about.

A couple of my mates have just found out they have that problem. Apparently it's something that's on the up amongst adults.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Ens007 wrote:

I find this ultra important in my cardio sessions - wiped my phone the other day and my playlists were gone, missed them dreadfully during my cardio session. Makes me go the extra mile with some decent audio bashing thru my ears!

I've finally joined the gym (after months of excuses) and found this made such a difference. The first session I didn't take my i-pod, the second one I did...and the difference in my stats was way better....(heart rate, calories burnt, even distance) so I'm going to be making some playlists for sure...might even get some of those "now that's what I call running" compilations too... B-)
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    I was in the gym the week after Princess Di carked it, and while I was on the running machine they had the usual grim ballads on the radio, like Tears from Heaven by Eric Clapton. Can't say it got me going. :(

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Noticed in my local " Turkish Barbers" a poster for a personal trainer and
    Lessons in Krav Maga ! I have to get back down to him tomorrow maybe
    As I'd like to give it a try ( Did Wado ryu Karate, but a very long time ago ). :))
    Would anyone know, what I should ask, to see if it's genuine training or not.
    Or any idea what it's like to learn as a fighting style ? Thanks for any tips or
    Advice. {[]
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Noticed in my local " Turkish Barbers" a poster for a personal trainer and
    Lessons in Krav Maga ! I have to get back down to him tomorrow maybe
    As I'd like to give it a try ( Did Wado ryu Karate, but a very long time ago ). :))
    Would anyone know, what I should ask, to see if it's genuine training or not.
    Or any idea what it's like to learn as a fighting style ? Thanks for any tips or
    Advice. {[]

im not sure TP but I think it is something to do with Mossad ( Israelis ) ASP 9MM will probably know :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Yes it's the mossad fighting system ( used by Bond in QOS ) I've
    Never seen it advertised before. :))
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Yes it's the mossad fighting system ( used by Bond in QOS ) I've
    Never seen it advertised before. :))

and certainly not in a Turkish barbers shop :)) :))
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I normally burn off any Calories I take in (Always on my Feet)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger