Who is your " LEAST " favorite Bond and why ?????

Comments

• HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Halcon wrote:
    Halcon here,

man thats a tough one,
    all were great all around so i'll have to rate based on what they were not good at.

-the tough, gritty, violent, believable as assasin test (minus 1point)
    Moore, Brosnan, Lazenby

-the charisma test (minus 1point)
    Dalton, Lazenby

-the believable as home run king with the ladies test (minus 1point)
    Dalton

-the sophistication tes (minus 1point)
    Craig, Lazenby

-the relevant (could pass as Bond in any place in time) test (minus 1point)
    Lazenby, Moore

Loser - Lazenby

yes, that sounds about right...

I imagine by that you don't believe that OHMSS was one of the best of the series? If so, too bad. You're missing something special. If, however, you liked OHMSS, how can OHMSS be good and Lazenby be bad?

DG

I also think it's more than a tad harsh to judge George just by the one film - even if it is the best in the series ;)

I thought George did a great job - with lots of 'help' from Peter Hunt.

Mr. Miles
    Thanks for your response, very good point, as I said, i shall go back and reconsider.

Didnt think Lazenby was bad, just not as good as the rest. To me each one made a heck of an impression right out of the gate, Lazenby not so much, maybe something to do with Connery?
  • 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    Halcon wrote:
    Mr. Grant,
    You've piqued my interest in Lazenby (havent seen OHMSS since 2004?) again. I shall go back and re-consider...
    Chances are you still won't see much from Lazenby. In part because Lazenby contributes highly to OHMSS not being one the best film in the series. This place takes all kinds. OHMSS worshippers, Dalton fanatics, Craig crusaders, and that can create faulty logic. Your first instinct was probably closer to the truth.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I prefer the term "Dalton Devotees" to Dalton fanatics. :D
    as Fanatic makes me sound Fanatical. :)) and not in the cute and cuddly way.
    But I agree AJB Is a broad church ( I don't mean full of women from 40's gangster movies )
    all are welcome, The mad, crazy, insane. Basically anyone who doesn't agree with Me. :))
    Also I'm one of those OHMSS worshipers, and must away to sacrifice a chicken to Lazenby. :p
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I prefer the term "Dalton Devotees" to Dalton fanatics.

Dalton fanboys hits it! ;)

Or you can call them " cute and cuddly Baloon-popping Hardedgers" :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    I prefer the term "Dalton Devotees" to Dalton fanatics. :D
    as Fanatic makes me sound Fanatical. :)) and not in the cute and cuddly way.
    But I agree AJB Is a broad church ( I don't mean full of women from 40's gangster movies )
    all are welcome, The mad, crazy, insane. Basically anyone who doesn't agree with Me. :))
    Also I'm one of those OHMSS worshipers, and must away to sacrifice a chicken to Lazenby. :p

I'll offer up a Goat
    Bondtoys wrote:
    I prefer the term "Dalton Devotees" to Dalton fanatics.

Dalton fanboys hits it! ;)

Or you can call them " cute and cuddly Baloon-popping Hardedgers" :D
    More of misty-eyed balloon eliminators.
    From 77007
    More of misty-eyed balloon eliminators
    Very Good, I like that One. :))

From zaphod
    I'll offer up a Goat
    The great Lazenby would be worth it. :D

From Bondtoys,
    " cute and cuddly Baloon-popping Hardedgers"
    I never did much Balloon -popping, I was into Body-Popping, The simple pleasure in Jumping up and down on a Corpse until
    it popped. :)) Simpler times.
    There's probably some EU directive against it now.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    77007 wrote:
    Halcon wrote:
    Mr. Grant,
    You've piqued my interest in Lazenby (havent seen OHMSS since 2004?) again. I shall go back and re-consider...
    Chances are you still won't see much from Lazenby. In part because Lazenby contributes highly to OHMSS not being one the best film in the series. Your first instinct was probably closer to the truth.

No way Jose. OHMSS is one of the best in the series and Lazenby was in it. I remember when I first saw OHMSS, I remember thinking that "this is not Connery". However, despite that fact, I remember yearning to see it again on TV in the days before VHS and DVD. It does not have any superfluous crap. Just a taught thriller boiled down to it's Bondian essence. I've had the same feeling about Connery's FRWL and Craig's CR.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    77007 wrote:
    More of misty-eyed balloon eliminators.

That would be too obvious imho, but we mean the same :D

I was into Body-Popping, The simple pleasure in Jumping up and down on a Corpse until
    it popped. :)) Simpler times.

8-) I begin to understand, where you are coming from, TP :v

• jasper_lamar_crabbjasper_lamar_crabb Posts: 169MI6 Agent
    I don't dislike any of them but Brosnan was the weakest. As others have said, he was a 'composite Bond', or more of an impersonation of another actor playing Bond, and he's the only Bond actor to not have a classic Bond film to his name - sure, GoldenEye is popular but it's a midrange effort at best.
  • HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
    I don't dislike any of them but Brosnan was the weakest. As others have said, he was a 'composite Bond', or more of an impersonation of another actor playing Bond, and he's the only Bond actor to not have a classic Bond film to his name - sure, GoldenEye is popular but it's a midrange effort at best.

agree,

its interesting how Brosnan was just fine until Craig came along...

Brosnan wore great suits and shirts (turnbull and asser??), he was the most stylish of all the Bonds...he also had Xenia...and Halle Berry...
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,279MI6 Agent
    It may be the same when Craig goes... depending on who follows up.

They will bang on about what a morose no-mark he was who never fulfilled the promise of CR.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • james362001james362001 Lancaster, California USAPosts: 338MI6 Agent
    superdaddy wrote:
    CRAIG,reasons to short, to coarse, not very goodlooking [for Bond] basically everything I love about Bond [films and books] I don't see in Craigs potrayal.

I agree with Sugar Daddy. I am really turned off by Daniel Craig. He made James Bond stronger and faster, i applaud him for that. He may have been Barbara Broccoli's choice. Oh! Cubby, where are you now. I am sure Daniel Craig is a nice person, but he does not have the "James Bond" look that I prefer. I was hoping for Clive Owen at the time. I might accept Henry Cavill.
    Brosnan > Dalton. Neither TLD nor LTK are classics, Goldeneye is a masterpiece in comparison.
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 410MI6 Agent
    No I have to majorly disagree with the above post. I don't like Goldeneye much, or Brosnan's over the top performance. Dalton followed the novels and played the agent as should have.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    Wadsy wrote:
    No I have to majorly disagree with the above post. I don't like Goldeneye much, or Brosnan's over the top performance. Dalton followed the novels and played the agent as should have.

Agreed. Goldeneye was one of my least favourite Bond films, and I thought Brosnan's performances as Bond were a little one dimensional. That has been a criticism of Dalton as well, but at least Dalton's interpretation of Bond is very similar to the way he was written. That's a big plus in my book, and outweighs any negatives about his 'lack of charisma'. Fleming's Bond is primarily a cold, ruthless killer, and that's the way Dalton plays him.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
    From DEFIANT 74205
    Agreed. Goldeneye was one of my least favourite Bond films, and I thought Brosnan's performances as Bond were a little one dimensional. That has been a criticism of Dalton as well, but at least Dalton's interpretation of Bond is very similar to the way he was written. That's a big plus in my book, and outweighs any negatives about his 'lack of charisma'. Fleming's Bond is primarily a cold, ruthless killer, and that's the way Dalton plays him.

Well said, I think Dalton was the closest anyone has come to the literary Bond. -{
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    I'm casting my vote for Craig as my least favorite...a decent actor, but such a change in character from the previous incarnations that it grates. I don't care for the smug, contentious attitude that his Bond carries towards his superiors. It seems unsophisticated and not indicative of someone with a desire to serve Queen and Country. For me, Craig's Bond no longer differentiates himself from any other Die Hard, Vin Diesel-ish, Rock-like action hero, and as a result I find myself viewing the Craig Bond films less often than others.
    From DEFIANT 74205

Well said, I think Dalton was the closest anyone has come to the literary Bond. -{
    Me to, altough I really like Lazenby playing Connery playing Bond.
    darenhat wrote:
    I'm casting my vote for Craig as my least favorite...a decent actor, but such a change in character from the previous incarnations that it grates. I don't care for the smug, contentious attitude that his Bond carries towards his superiors. It seems unsophisticated and not indicative of someone with a desire to serve Queen and Country. For me, Craig's Bond no longer differentiates himself from any other Die Hard, Vin Diesel-ish, Rock-like action hero, and as a result I find myself viewing the Craig Bond films less often than others.

It was my sincere hope that we would get 'the finished article' in 23, with more class and control, and a relationship with M based upon mutual respect and trust. Queen and country is a bit crass for the early 21st century, but an evident moral compass would work. I hope we still get that, but the 'look' as presented at the conference suggested more rock-hard, drag resistant thuggery.
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 410MI6 Agent
    To answer the question, I'm not sure who the least favorite Bond is for me. Either George Lazenby or Pierce Brosnan, but honestly I am leaning towards Pierce Brosnan just purely based on who I see and don't see as James Bond. I liked his performances the least, and I was not really convinced by his films either. He seemed to copy Connery and Moore.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    Unfortunately, Daniel Craig is my pick for a number of reasons. He looks nothing like my vision of Bond; he displays hardly any chemistry with his leading ladies and he completely fails to carry that air of suave sophistication I associate with the role. He has a perpetually glum, sourpuss expression (which is his acting style in just about every movie he's in) and he just takes the whole thing too damn seriously. To me, even the most serious of Bonds had to convey some sense of fun and Craig just doesn't do that.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    I agree 100% with everything Tony said, nothing further to say.
    Lol that's why I like him. I've had enough of what Bond is supposed to be.
    Well, you can divide them into groups:

1) Connery and Moore

First 25 years, witty, upbeat starry interpretation of Fleming's Bond.

2) Dalton and Craig

Fleming's Bond, relatively dour, serious, credible, unstarry.

3) Lazenby

Falls in both camps, or between two stools. He is trying to be Connery, trying to be in camp 1) but his inability with a one-liner and fact he is in a straightforward, Fleming-based thriller also sees him in camp 2).

Now, I prefer the first camp. So least fave Bond is in 2) or 3).

One way to decide is, take their better films like OHMSS, TLD and CR and swap the roles around.

1) OHMSS with Dalton? I would not like this any more with him in it rather than Lazenby. He would be painful at the one-liners too, too hammy and his romantic scenes would suck. He is no charmer and unlike Lazers, he would suck in the fight scenes. Dalton just looked odd sometimes, too.

2) OHMSS with Craig? Hard to say. I just don't buy him as a romantic lead either but he wouldn't stink up every scene. I would enjoy seeing him mess up Blofeld. And Craig might be good as Bray, but again, try anyone with that awful dubbed voice and they'd be sunk. Craig couldn't pass himself off as a smart, bookish type - but then really, could Fleming's Bond?

Also interesting to imagine TLD with Lazenby, I think that would have been really good actually. With Craig too in fact.

So sorry, Dalton is my least fave Bond. Lazenby was sunk by some daft dialogue and lack of action in the first half, in some scenes he is very good and he is a physical character.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • GaddGeneGaddGaddGeneGadd Posts: 189MI6 Agent
    Hey Nap
    Did you just block out Brozzers tenure completely. I know he was a composite, but he did play bond for almost a decade, :D :D
  • SkyfallSkyfall Rushhaaa with luvvvPosts: 19MI6 Agent
    edited November 2011
    TMWGG is ****, now and again good bits just generally weak in story and plot , QOS follows a close second......reasons too numerous to mention, these are my least watched bond movies
    "... I never left.."
    Hey Nap
    Did you just block out Brozzers tenure completely. I know he was a composite, but he did play bond for almost a decade, :D :D

Oh yeah, sorry, he should be in group 1) with Connery and Moore. No snub intended. :)

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Fillet_of_SoulFillet_of_Soul Posts: 18MI6 Agent
    Dalton, Lazenby and Craig are my least favourite Bond actors.

I grew up with Roger Moore as Bond and he was the one who got me hooked and obsessed. To see him be replaced by Dalton was a major disappointment, to put it mildly. Dalton never felt like a "real" Bond. Brosnan was perfect and I love him in the role. Not too happy with Craig though.

So for me it's Dalton.