GOP Candidates

Comments

• toutbruntoutbrun Washington, USAPosts: 1,501MI6 Agent
    No offense to anyone, but you kind of wonder if you can be intelligent and still vote for someone like Santorum... I mean you can be good at math and vote for him, but can you be truly intelligent?

Even Romney, he just doesn't make sense. I do not agree with Ron Paul, but at least he's consistent and he has a ideology that is respectable, however wrong he is about certain things.
    If you can't trust a Swiss banker, what's the world come to?
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    toutbrun wrote:
    No offense to anyone, but you kind of wonder if you can be intelligent and still vote for someone like Santorum... I mean you can be good at math and vote for him, but can you be truly intelligent?

Even Romney, he just doesn't make sense. I do not agree with Ron Paul, but at least he's consistent and he has a ideology that is respectable, however wrong he is about certain things.

They're all wrong about certain things which is why they all suck! I just don't trust what they say these days and some things they do say are absolutely off-putting. It is going to be tricky trying to vote.
    Mr Beech wrote:
    toutbrun wrote:

They're all wrong about certain things which is why they all suck! I just don't trust what they say these days and some things they do say are absolutely off-putting. It is going to be tricky trying to vote.

Third party perhaps, like Green?
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    toutbrun wrote:
    Mr Beech wrote:
    toutbrun wrote:

Third party perhaps, like Green?

Well, not yet. I'm 19 and this will be my first vote. And I am not pleased by much politician speech these days. I am just paying attention as best I can until I have to choose.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    edited April 2012
    toutbrun wrote:

I have to admitt I sometimes think along those lines. Respect for other world views and cultures is important, but therer are things I find very hard to respect. Particularly "Inteligent design". I belive non of the GOP candidates support the theory of evelution. In Norway only good manners would keep people from laughing a politician who didn't believe in evolution out of the room and he/she would certainly not be taken seriously. The fact that many US schools don't teach evelution is a side of the US we have real problems understanding.
    Who do you think Mitt Romney will chose for his VP candidate/running mate?

Marco Rubio (Florida - Swing state and minority candidate)?
    Rob Portman (Ohio - experienced and respected i.e. an anti-Palin)?
    Perhaps Santorum to make him more acceptable for the religious right?
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

Because the electoral college decides the Presidential election and not popular vote, this election, like most recent elections will come down to about 10 states. There are states that I am sure will go for Obama, like New York, California, Illinois, etc. Then there are states that will go for Romney, most of the South and much of the Western Plaines states. That leaves the election up to Ohio, Florida, Missouri, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, New Mexico and some others. Those states can go either way and will decide the election. I do not know whom Romney will select, but if it were me, I would pick someone that would help me in Florida or Ohio.

Although everyone likes to focus on the Presidential race, the race to control the Senate will also be interesting. It appears the Republicans will maintain control of the House of Representatives, the question is can they gain control of the Senate. If the Republicans gain control of the Senate, then even if Obama were re-elected, his ability to control policy would be severely limited.
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

Because the electoral college decides the Presidential election and not popular vote, this election, like most recent elections will come down to about 10 states. There are states that I am sure will go for Obama, like New York, California, Illinois, etc. Then there are states that will go for Romney, most of the South and much of the Western Plaines states. That leaves the election up to Ohio, Florida, Missouri, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, New Mexico and some others. Those states can go either way and will decide the election. I do not know whom Romney will select, but if it were me, I would pick someone that would help me in Florida or Ohio.

Although everyone likes to focus on the Presidential race, the race to control the Senate will also be interesting. It appears the Republicans will maintain control of the House of Representatives, the question is can they gain control of the Senate. If the Republicans gain control of the Senate, then even if Obama were re-elected, his ability to control policy would be severely limited.

I think Romney has already chosen Marco Rubio as his running mate. He is the perfect phoney tea party leader in that he tends to support the big government neocon agenda, but he comes across as a fresh face cleaning up DC. Plus he is a fantastic speaker, which is not one of Romney's strong points.
    However, Romney has nothing like the 600+ delegates the MSM tells us about. Most of the unbound delegates are almost certain to vote for Ron Paul. There has been chaos at numerous caucuses and state conventions where the GOP establishment keeps trying to stop young, active Paul supporters from practically taking over the party.
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung
    I think the American election system must be frustrating to many people in states like Texas or California where presidential candidates don't bother to campaign, some might say it's a democratic (small D) problem.
    Daltonfan1 is a die hard supporter of Ron Paul, but I suspect it's time to ......die :o
    Other candidates than Mitt Romney have no chance now. Perhaps that's what Romeny is lacking - enthusiastic supporters like Daltonfan1?
    Yes, but in the US you can also vote with your feet. If you're not happy in Texas and you're a progressist, you should move out of there to go to Massachussets or NY.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    ??? They don't campaign in Texas or California? Two of the biggest, most delegate-rich states in the country? Yes, California is usually in the bag for the Democrats and Texas is a Republican stronghold; but candidates know it's far more important to win these states than, say, North Dakota or Alaska. (No disrespect, North Dakotans and Alaskans. . .)
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    I might be misinformed, but I thought they focused their campaign on the swing states and largely ignored the "safe" states.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I see where you're coming from. . .indeed, they do try their damnedest to win over sizable "swing states" (e.g., Ohio, Florida), but they never ignore the big prizes!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Good :)
    A summary of what states are solidly Obama, solidly Romney or leaning one way or the other. Still very early, some of the states leaning Obama, like Wisconsin, went big for Republicans two years ago, so who knows.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/yahoo-news-david-chalian-election-outlook.html
    Now Romney has said Paul Ryan is "our next president!" :)) The GOP has a knack for choosing goofy presidents (Reagan, Bush jr, Romney....?), but their voters seem to like them that way.
    Democrats seem to think Ryan is their dream oponent: a congressman who belives strongly in further tax cuts for the rich and welfare cuts for the old and sick. Perhaps he is, but he also seems charismatic. What do you think?
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Now Romney has said Paul Ryan is "our next president!" :)) The GOP has a knack for choosing goofy presidents (Reagan, Bush jr, Romney....?), but their voters seem to like them that way.
    Democrats seem to think Ryan is their dream oponent: a congressman who belives strongly in further tax cuts for the rich and welfare cuts for the old and sick. Perhaps he is, but he also seems charismatic. What do you think?

Obama made the same mistake four years ago by introducing Joe Biden as the next president.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Really? Well, Romney seemd to say the wrong thing more often. When Obama did his grand tour abroad before he was elected, he was eloquent and allmost universally loved. When Romney did it he managed to piss of people in every single country he visited. But my question was really: what do you think of Ryan?
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Really? Well, Romney seemd to say the wrong thing more often. When Obama did his grand tour abroad before he was elected, he was eloquent and allmost universally loved. When Romney did it he managed to piss of people in every single country he visited. But my question was really: what do you think of Ryan?

Yup, a quick 20 second video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psRhzXYVPEQ

Now back to my regulary scheduled lurk fest in this thread........
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Ryan is an excellent choice, he actually had the courage to offer up a real plan to take on some of the problem we face. like Medicare going broke, Social Security running out of money and the debt. Of course the other side has ridiculed his plan while at the same time offering up no plan of their own.

You can agree or disagree with the plan, but at least he had the courage to offer a plan, which 99% of the other politicians do not have. He is a free market guy, who believes in less government. I would tend to agree with his views.
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    Ryan is an excellent choice, he actually had the courage to offer up a real plan to take on some of the problem we face. like Medicare going broke, Social Security running out of money and the debt. Of course the other side has ridiculed his plan while at the same time offering up no plan of their own.

You can agree or disagree with the plan, but at least he had the courage to offer a plan, which 99% of the other politicians do not have. He is a free market guy, who believes in less government. I would tend to agree with his views.

Actually Ryan strongly supported runaway government spending when GW Bush was president and he''ll probably do so if Romney becomes president.
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    Does this thread apply to the current GOP candidates?
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Does this thread apply to the current GOP candidates?

Oh sure! They'll be backing up the sewage trucks and dumping here quite soon, I imagine.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Well, just as many thought the herd of GOP candidates has been thined out after Iowa. I find it interesting that Marco Rubio planned on becoming number 3 in Iowa from the start. It's called the 3-2-1 plan: #3 in Iowa, #2 in New Hampshire and #1 in South Carolina. At the same time has tried to position himself as a consilodating candidate. Now money from the GOP establishment will come to him, and some of the candidates who give up will point to him as the candidate his /her supporters should wote for.

I wonder why the third Democratic candidate hasn't given up yet (I don't even remember his name).
    Martin O'Malley did give up.

It's now down to Hillary and Bernie on the Dem side.
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    edited February 2016
    Basically guys, if Sanders is POTUS, we might be somewhat safe. If H. Clinton gets it we have a chance of averting WWIII. Any other POS will ensure a planetary conflict.
    :#
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    The US does seem to be on the brink of getting into a war in the Middle East.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent

Could that be Armageddon? :o
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • cheldcheld Posts: 300MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Basically guys, if Sanders is POTUS, we might be somewhat safe. If H. Clinton gets it we have a chance of averting WWIII. Any other POS will ensure a planetary conflict.
    :#

Hmmm...

Hillary on Iraq: voted for the war
    Hillary on Afghanistan: endorsed the failed "surge"
    Hillary on Libya: orchestrated a disastrous bombing campaign
    Hillary on Syria: favors additional US military action
    Hillary on Yemen: allied with Saudi Arabia's war machine

I'd consider Hillary more of a warmonger than Trump or Cruz, and on equal footing with Rubio, the most hawkish Republican. I support the Libertarian (former governor Gary Johnson) now that Rand Paul dropped out.
  • cheldcheld Posts: 300MI6 Agent

"On the brink"? Obama's bombed more ME countries than even W did.
This discussion has been closed.