Skyfall to screen in IMAX

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Oh, there is if you're a londoner cos it's tiered seating and a great screen at London BFI Imax, whereas Odeon L Square has drawbacks. Mind you, Screen 13 of cinema at 02 Arena is possibly biggest in London.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    None of it has been shot with IMAX cameras either, so there's really not much of a point.

IMO folks should see (or not see) Skyfall in the format/cinema of their preference.

I just really enjoy seeing a big action film on a really big screen with the best picture and sound quality (especially with the indifference in many of today's multiplexes to quality film presentation).

There's actually much more involved in converting a film for IMAX than just blowing it up on a giant screen;
    it's apparently a complex process involving de-graining the picture, elevating brightness, adjusting color saturation and correcting visual noise to yield a pristine 70mm like image on a very large screen along with uncompressing and remixing the audio for the huge sound system.

Most importantly, the actual filmakers are required to be directly involved in the IMAX process, so how "Skyfall" looks on that big screen is going to be what Roger Deakins and Sam Mendes want it to look.
    Will Scott's Prometheus, or however you spell it, be the same kind of Imax experience as Skyfall? If I see that at BFI Imax in London, will I be able to suss out the best seat for Skyfall, or is that a different kind of presentation?

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Will Scott's Prometheus, or however you spell it, be the same kind of Imax experience as Skyfall? If I see that at BFI Imax in London, will I be able to suss out the best seat for Skyfall, or is that a different kind of presentation?

While both films were shot in the digital format, "Prometheus" was shot in native 3D (meaning it is not a post conversion) and "Skyfall"was neither shot in 3D nor converted to 3D. "Skyfall" in IMAX should just look like an extremely sharp (like old fashioned 70mm) presentation on a very large screen with killer sound. "Prometheus" will feature the additional effect of 3D (and apparently very good 3D).

My recommendation for stadium style IMAX seating is to sit far enough back that you are level with the center of the screen for the most immersive experience.
    I saw OHMSS at the Imax two years ago but when I chose the same row for MI4, it was too much, because that slips into deep view, or whatever you call it, i'd prefer to have been further back.

But Skyfall won't slip into deep view, will it, so to speak?

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I saw OHMSS at the Imax two years ago but when I chose the same row for MI4, it was too much, because that slips into deep view, or whatever you call it, i'd prefer to have been further back.

But Skyfall won't slip into deep view, will it, so to speak?

"Skyfall" has no parts actually filmed with IMAX cameras therefore my best guess would be that it will be shown in the
    2.35 to 1 scope aspect ratio it was filmed in with black banding at the top and bottom of the screen (invisible when the lights go down) with no change in aspect ratio.
    Oh, okay, ta.

Intersting that the new digital will make it like 75mm, ie Lawrence of Arabia for detail, always wanted to see a Bond epic done that way.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • jasper_lamar_crabbjasper_lamar_crabb Posts: 169MI6 Agent
    Oh, okay, ta.

Intersting that the new digital will make it like 75mm, ie Lawrence of Arabia for detail, always wanted to see a Bond epic done that way.
    Unfortunately that is not the case, as the Alexa's resolution is 3.5K I believe, so still some way off the resolution of fine grained 35mm film stocks let alone 65mm.
    Oh, okay, ta.

Unfortunately that is not the case, as the Alexa's resolution is 3.5K I believe, so still some way off the resolution of fine grained 35mm film stocks let alone 65mm.

It won't look quite like 70mm however the giant screen, amped up sound and picture quality is about the closest you can get these days. Apparently IMAX along with the participation of the film maker performs a conversion process that renders a superior projected image. Also, IMAX Digital is projected with two Digital Projectors simultaneously which contributes to that superior projected image.

Re all these "specs" concerning the Alexa's resolution, I think Roger Deakins summed it up pretty well when he said he'd challenge anyone to honestly see an actual difference and I don't believe someone of his stature and skill level would be willing to
    have his work compromised by an inferior image....
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    A new trailer for Skyfall has been shown at the Comic Con event in San Diego. SPOILER ALERT! A description of the trailer can be read at the link below.

SPOILER ALERT!
    Brand New Skyfall Trailer Premieres In IMAX At Comic Con
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Brand-Skyfall-Trailer-Premieres-IMAX-Comic-Con-31878.html
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
    Moore Than wrote:
    A new trailer for Skyfall has been shown at the Comic Con event in San Diego. SPOILER ALERT! A description of the trailer can be read at the link below.

SPOILER ALERT!
    Brand New Skyfall Trailer Premieres In IMAX At Comic Con
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Brand-Skyfall-Trailer-Premieres-IMAX-Comic-Con-31878.html

In reading the article
    1) sounds like "Skyfall" may deliver the "goods"

2) The IMAX people are really looking at the IMAX version of "Skyfall" as sort of a litmus test as to
    how the public will respond to an IMAX version of a non-animated, non-super hero type film that
    could pull in an "older" audience beyond the tweens, teens, and general geeks who are willing to pony up the extra $$$$$

3) It is also IMAX's first foray into "sacred" territory: the longest running, most popular, iconic film frachise in history
    (no offence intended to Harry Potter fans) You don't want to muck that up :p
  • Agent007jamestAgent007jamest usaPosts: 163MI6 Agent
    I was wondering if anyone knew if in the US the imax version will

1) have a midnight release

2) a marathon opening night with CR & QOS

I know the second question may be farfetched but I have noticed quite a few marathons opening night at my local imax and was just hoping! -{

I know the second question may be farfetched but I have noticed quite a few marathons opening night at my local imax and was just hoping! -{

I'm guessing "no" on #2 as I don't believe that the Bond films have as big a crazy geek factor as other more recent franchises (ie people camping out overnight dressed in costume,etc). We are a classier more umm refined mature lot :))
    I just don't picture a bunch of Bond fans camped out at the local multiplex in rental tuxes sipping martini's waiting to get in for the first showing -{

12:01am showings opening day could be a distinct possibility IMO as that seems to be getting fairly common for big "tentpole" releases these days.
    HowardB wrote:

I'm guessing "no" on #2 as I don't believe that the Bond films have as big a crazy geek factor as other more recent franchises (ie people camping out overnight dressed in costume,etc). We are a classier more umm refined mature lot :))
    I just don't picture a bunch of Bond fans camped out at the local multiplex in rental tuxes sipping martini's waiting to get in for the first showing -{

12:01am showings opening day could be a distinct possibility IMO as that seems to be getting fairly common for big "tentpole" releases these days.

well I already took off Nov 8th - 11th from work (i get a lot of vacation time :)) ) so i am hoping for the midnight -{ imax showing!
    Maybe I will camp out in a tux :007)
    Avoid dodgy Imax cinemas.

Read about 'em here

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3289620

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Avoid dodgy Imax cinemas.

Read about 'em here

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3289620

Thanks for the link. There is a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding re IMAX presentations.

Even with the huge 70mm projection IMAX Cinemas people will still bitch about why the movie didn't fill the entire screen. The reality is that IMAX was not originally conceived for feature films but for documentaries in a museum type setting projected on a huge but square screen or a dome.

If you are planning to see "Skyfall" (or any other regular theatrical film) in IMAX you should check some things in advance:

- Is it being projected in 70mm or is it Digital IMAX
    - If it is Digital IMAX, find out how big the screen is. About 70'x35' is the biggest for Digital; about 40'x20' is the smallest.
    (I would avoid the 40x20 Digital IMAX screens as they are jut not worth the xtra$$$)

As I've said before, I am fortunate as one of my local multiplexes has a Digital IMAX that has the 70'x35' screen and my experiences there have been very good.
    Cheers, that's interesting.

Thing is, I'd love to see Dark Knight Rises in Imax but it's all booked up in advance for ages at Southbank. Where would be another top London location to see it?

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    A poor quality video of the new trailer has emerged online. I won't provide a link but I will steer you in the direction of Skyfall on Twitter. Hopefully, the trailer will be officially released online sooner rather than later.
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    Awwwwwww, I can't find it!!
    Is anyone prepared to post a link?
    PLEEEEAAASSSSSEEEEEE????
    Thanks for the heads up about the trailer. I felt like nick nack sitting in the back row all I could see was peoples heads! :)) Going to see TDKR in imax so I'm hoping to catch it tonight
    Moore Than wrote:
    A poor quality video of the new trailer has emerged online. I won't provide a link but I will steer you in the direction of Skyfall on Twitter. Hopefully, the trailer will be officially released online sooner rather than later.
  • Martin AstonMartin Aston LondonPosts: 408MI6 Agent
    MAJOR SPOILER ALERT:

The link to the trailer which was filmed by someone in a cinema is here:
    http://vimeo.com/m/46131976
  • jasper_lamar_crabbjasper_lamar_crabb Posts: 169MI6 Agent
    MAJOR SPOILER ALERT:

The link to the trailer which was filmed by someone in a cinema is here:
    http://vimeo.com/m/46131976
    Now that terrible quality phone videos of the trailer are starting to appear it's time for Sony to make it available online.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the link, Martin Aston -{
    Yes terrible quality,But it does wet the appetite :D
    and I agree Hopefully this will make sony release it on line.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    I hope they release the trailer on Monday.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    MAJOR SPOILER ALERT

Not sure I agree with your tag here, MA. . .you can barely see anything through the heads in front of the screen (and the muddy photography), and I've heard 130-year-old Edison discs with greater sound quality. Ah, well, any old port in a storm. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • mfstudiomfstudio Posts: 28MI6 Agent
    Saw "Dark Knight Rises" today in IMAX (very good film by the way) and of course got to see the full "Skyfall" trailer.

First of all, the IMAX people, Sony, EON, etc are really beating the drums for "Skyfall" in IMAX bigtime. Before the trailer even begins the screen goes black and the 007 gun logo appears followed by the "Skyfall" logo and then on screen announcement that this is a "special" preview of "Skyfall" and then you get the typical Columbia and MGM logos and on with the trailer.

I have to say that this little bit of ballyhoo really got a fairly restless audience's full attention.
    The trailer itself is definately more indicative of "classic" Bond albeit with the current "harder edge".

Several peeks at large scale very "Bondien" action set pieces (w/o that artificial "CGI" look).

Some bone crunching fisticuffs, lots of shooting and sex. Yes ladies and gentleman we are getting a sex scene with nudity (well PG-13 nudity anyway) -{

And not only are we getting some good old fashioned PG-13 nudity and sex (and gentleman the Bond girls are naked not just Bond this time :D ) but a bit a "tie straightening" (actually cuff straightening).

There's also a bit of "Q" interacting with Bond in the trailer and their relationship looks to be an interesting one at the least.

All in all a very promising and exciting trailer.

Just an additional note. There were trailers also shown for the new "Bourne" film and also the much anticipated LOR prequel "The Hobbit". "Skyfall" received a much bigger positive audience reaction than either one. -{
    Here is an article you may find interesting. It appears there are issues (amongst others) regarding the IMAX Skyfall trailer attached to The Dark Knight Rises. The trailer is only being shown attached to non-70mm IMAX screens. The reason behind why it is not on the 70mm showings is that the actual film reel for TDKR, with a running time of 164 minutes (2 hours 44 minutes) is too large to hold anything else besides the -70lbs. platter of film. It's filled right to the brink, and projectionists have even had to cut part of the opening IMAX promo just to get everything to fit.

The FULL article.
    Editorial: IMAX's 'Exclusives' Are a Let Down, If You Can Find Them
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/editorial-imaxs-exclusives-are-a-let-down-if-you-can-find-them/
    Moore Than wrote:
    Here is an article you may find interesting. It appears there are issues (amongst others) regarding the IMAX Skyfall trailer attached to The Dark Knight Rises. The trailer is only being shown attached to non-70mm IMAX screens. The reason behind why it is not on the 70mm showings is that the actual film reel for TDKR, with a running time of 164 minutes (2 hours 44 minutes) is too large to hold anything else besides the -70lbs. platter of film. It's filled right to the brink, and projectionists have even had to cut part of the opening IMAX promo just to get everything to fit.

The FULL article.
    Editorial: IMAX's 'Exclusives' Are a Let Down, If You Can Find Them
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/editorial-imaxs-exclusives-are-a-let-down-if-you-can-find-them/

IMO, it is also possible that the Digital IMAX version of "Skyfall" could potentially look better than the 70mm version. Remember, "Skyfall" has been shot in Digital. Many IMAX 70mm blow-ups of 35mm or digitally shot films have been described as less than satisfactory. I would think that "Skyfall" coming from a digital source would benefit from the Digital IMAX conversion which improves image quality and yields a very bright picture due to the use of two digital projectors. Almost one hour of "The Dark Knight Rises" was actually shot with IMAX 70mm cameras so it's gonna look great in 70mm IMAX.
    Good news for our North American friends. The official James Bond Twitter account has tweeted that Skyfall will be released in IMAX a day early on Nov 8th.