Daniel Craig is a Badass 007

2»

Comments

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Apparantly charcoal tablets are a good remedy for a badass.
    At least we can now understand why he looks so miserable and I for one would like to take this
    Opptunity to apologise to DC for being somewhat unkind about his wired facial expressions, I had no idea of his flatulence problem.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Well he is the WIND of change. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    I am an old timer and a relic of the 60's myself and saw all the Connery films as a youngster in a proper movie theater packed with people delirious with the Bondmania of the time. However, Bond films done that way today would be looked upon as "parody" and not much more than a more violent Austin Powers film trying to be taken a bit more seriously. IMO the Moore films had pretty much slipped into parody and because of the less than stellar scripts and to a lesser extent an aging actor portraying Bond, the Brosnan films were getting pretty stale.
    Old timer that gets it. -{
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    It's the Old Bums on seats formula. Some people on here will go on about how stale/bad formulaic The
    Brosnan Bonds were. ( who knows mabey you're all right )
    Yet the Public didn't seem Bored etc, they all made loads of Money even DAD did only slightly less than
    CR. In fact they made loads more than the Bourne movies they "Changed" or In my view "COPIED" well
    tried to copy. :)).
    Once again No origional thinking just Copy what's working at the Moment, I predict the humor will return
    simply because Most of the big hits this year have had some great comic One-liners etc.
    So we'll argue over this for years to come. :D
    In many ways Brosnan is like Roger Dangerfield, "I don't get No Respect !" :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
    Moore Than wrote:
    Not everyone thinks Daniel Craig's Bond is a badass......just bad. In fact, Dr. Tim Stanley has just written James Bond's obituary. He says of Craig (amongst other things), the rot set in when he was cast, Craig was all wrong for the part, he's the Bond for the men's health magazine generation. Oh, and he thinks the trailer looks rubbish.

RIP James Bond: killed by political correctness and an overdose of oestrogen
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timstanley/100159390/rip-james-bond-killed-by-political-correctness-and-an-overdose-of-oestrogen/

that was a hilarious article :))
    truth be told, Craig is a great Bond and i hope in the near future he'll be allowed to interpret a 'lighter' Bond too.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    It's the Old Bums on seats formula. Some people on here will go on about how stale/bad formulaic The
    Yet the Public didn't seem Bored etc, they all made loads of Money even DAD did only slightly less than
    CR. In fact they made loads more than the Bourne movies they "Changed" or In my view "COPIED" well
    Once again No origional thinking just Copy what's working at the Moment, I predict the humor will return
    simply because Most of the big hits this year have had some great comic One-liners etc.

I enjoyed Brosnan's tenure as Bond. IMO opinion EON got lazy and accepted less than stellar scripts and depended on Brosnan
    to basically carry the last two they did with him. I think EON underestimated Brosnan's ability to act (IMO he's become a really good character actor these days) and never explored the possibilities of taking advantage of his maturity by making a film that was a more serious look at the Bond character in his twilight.

That being said I do like Craig as Bond but to say that he was even on my radar screen as a potential replacement for Brosnan would be just plain dishonest. I was a big Clive Owen supporter since seeing Owen in "Croupier" and believed he was a shoe-in for the role.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    I wish that brossa had done a fifth, I thought he was a great bond and GE will always be my fave bond flick. For me, brossa was bond as he was the first I saw in the cinema. I know many people see Connery as the original bond, and yeah I can't deny Sean was great in the role, but for today's bond, I can only see Craig doing it. Times have changed, what's socially acceptable (man talk...slap) has been curbed and with new times we get a new bond. For today's global situations and trends Craig fits the bill perfectly. The main reason bond has survived this long is his adaptability and ability to suit and fit into the world around him. Craig is simply the modern bond of the moment and IMO fits it like a glove.

Top marks DC. -{
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:

I enjoyed Brosnan's tenure as Bond. IMO opinion EON got lazy and accepted less than stellar scripts and depended on Brosnan
    to basically carry the last two they did with him. I think EON underestimated Brosnan's ability to act (IMO he's become a really good character actor these days) and never explored the possibilities of taking advantage of his maturity by making a film that was a more serious look at the Bond character in his twilight.

That being said I do like Craig as Bond but to say that he was even on my radar screen as a potential replacement for Brosnan would be just plain dishonest. I was a big Clive Owen supporter since seeing Owen in "Croupier" and believed he was a shoe-in for the role.

very interesting idea on Brosnan as Bond's twilight, was thinking of it myself today! {[]
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    It's funny, but I've never really seen Craig so much as a "modern Bond" as a "retro Bond." His physical presence and broader face are more classic in look than the more mannequin-esque figure we've seen for 20 years or so. In some of the black and white photos I've seen from Skyfall, he almost literally looks like a 60s actor. He isn't quite that handsome, mostly because of his boxer's nose, but he certainly has more in common with a young Sean Connery than he does with Pierce Brosnan. Clive Owen looks too much like Nicolas Cage with more hair.
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    It's funny, but I've never really seen Craig so much as a "modern Bond" as a "retro Bond." His physical presence and broader face are more classic in look than the more mannequin-esque figure we've seen for 20 years or so. In some of the black and white photos I've seen from Skyfall, he almost literally looks like a 60s actor. He isn't quite that handsome, mostly because of his boxer's nose, but he certainly has more in common with a young Sean Connery than he does with Pierce Brosnan. Clive Owen looks too much like Nicolas Cage with more hair.

Do you mean 60's actor, or actor in his 60's ?
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Connery was and always will be James Bond for me. I understand why alot of folks like Roger Moore but to me he was just too weak and cartoonish.

I really liked Dalton as Bond and wish he could have done more films (in hindsight I probably liked him even more because he wasn't "Moore" 8-).

I actually believe that Brosnan benefitted from taking on the role some years after it was originally offered (the more mature PB was more believable as 007 than the pretty boy of "Remington Steele" days).

Craig is one of those "out of left field" choices that just really works. Even at under 6ft Craig has a certain physical presence on the screen as Bond. He just looks like he is a dangerous man. Funny thing is, in other roles he appears somewhat slight and not particularly commanding. An example would be in "The Girl w/ The Dragon Tatoo".
    zaphod wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:

Do you mean 60's actor, or actor in his 60's ?
    Lol!
    HowardB wrote:
    Connery was and always will be James Bond for me. I understand why alot of folks like Roger Moore but to me he was just too weak and cartoonish.

I really liked Dalton as Bond and wish he could have done more films (in hindsight I probably liked him even more because he wasn't "Moore" 8-).

I actually believe that Brosnan benefitted from taking on the role some years after it was originally offered (the more mature PB was more believable as 007 than the pretty boy of "Remington Steele" days).

Craig is one of those "out of left field" choices that just really works. Even at under 6ft Craig has a certain physical presence on the screen as Bond. He just looks like he is a dangerous man. Funny thing is, in other roles he appears somewhat slight and not particularly commanding. An example would be in "The Girl w/ The Dragon Tatoo".
    Most actors are shorter than six feet tall, in part because most people are and because taller actors often photograph as significantly more gangiy and disproportionate unless they're hulking -- that doesn't seem as much so these days because the close up is too often used and hides bodies, but even watching Connery in some Bond films makes him look stretched.

I actually wish they'd gotten Brosnan a little younger, when he was at the height of his "light, comedic" talents -- he was smoother then. His Bond was never quite convincing to me because it played against Brosnan's strengths, which are best exemplified in the remake of "The Thomas Crowne Affair." He was better as Bond in that film than any of the official ones he made.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    A kindred spirit! I agree with all of your points.
    HowardB wrote:

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Richard--WRichard--W USAPosts: 200MI6 Agent
    If Daniel Craig really is "a Badass 007" then he's doing it wrong, because James Bond is not a badass.

Richard
    The top 7 Bond films: 1) Dr No. 2) From Russia With Love. 3) Thunderball. 4) On Her Majesty's Secret Service. 5) For Your Eyes Only. 6) The Living Daylights. 7) Licence to Kill.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Are you kidding? Of course Bond is a badass. (Except as portrayed by Roger Moore!)
    Richard--W wrote:
    If Daniel Craig really is "a Badass 007" then he's doing it wrong, because James Bond is not a badass.

Richard
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • 007007 ClassifiedPosts: 372MI6 Agent
    Are you kidding? Of course Bond is a badass. (Except as portrayed by Roger Moore!)
    Richard--W wrote:

Richard

Bond is badass - read the original books.
    And you can also check out Wikipedia for a bit of information on his badassyness too - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_bond
    Things I hate:
    1. People who hate things.
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

Most actors are shorter than six feet tall, in part because most people are and because taller actors often photograph as significantly more gangiy and disproportionate unless they're hulking -- that doesn't seem as much so these days because the close up is too often used and hides bodies, but even watching Connery in some Bond films makes him look stretched.

I actually wish they'd gotten Brosnan a little younger, when he was at the height of his "light, comedic" talents -- he was smoother then. His Bond was never quite convincing to me because it played against Brosnan's strengths, which are best exemplified in the remake of "The Thomas Crowne Affair." He was better as Bond in that film than any of the official ones he made.

I think that the Tailor of Panama is Brozzer's best portrayal of admittedly a wayward ad burnt out Bond. In any event it contributes to show that PB was capable of more than he got the chance to deliver.