Does anybody else have a problem with Bond's new button downs??

HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
I dont believe he's ever worn them, and i'm having a hard time getting used to them on Bond...i guess its better than a smallish collar but...

Comments

• Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Halcon wrote:
    I dont believe he's ever worn them, and i'm having a hard time getting used to them on Bond...i guess its better than a smallish collar but...

It's tab collar. It looks good on Craig. A first for Bond, but, thinking about it, a tab collar wouldn't have looked too great on the other actors who have played Bond.
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Never been a fan of them myself, they always suggest 'tech support' to me. They seem to work ok with the close fitting suits that he's wearing.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    zaphod wrote:
    Never been a fan of them myself, they always suggest 'tech support' to me. They seem to work ok with the close fitting suits that he's wearing.
    i feel the exact same way about the "tech support" comment, but they do fit Craig, im slowly warming up to them, still prefer them without though.
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    zaphod wrote:
    i feel the exact same way about the "tech support" comment, but they do fit Craig, im slowly warming up to them, still prefer them without though.

It all depends on how they are worn, and the man wearing them. Gianni Agnelli was famous for popularizing button-downs in Italy, and he was one of the most stylish men of the 20th century. Robert Culp and Bill Cosby always looked quite dashing in their button-down shirts and suits in I Spy.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,778MI6 Agent
    I wear button down collars on casual shirts, but not on more formal shirts where I wear a tie.

I have never worn tab collars. - I am a shortarse, so with my neck I would look like I was getting choked! So not for me.

As to Bond? Will have to see Skyfall and see what the costume dept have done this time round.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Just my opinion but I never liked them next we'll have Bond with one
    of those collar tie pins ( very 80s). I'd rather see Bond with a Monocle.
    They great for showing suprise. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Just my opinion but I never liked them next we'll have Bond with one
    of those collar tie pins ( very 80s). I'd rather see Bond with a Monocle.
    They great for showing suprise. :))

The modern world just does not sit well with you does it. More Lord Peter Wimsey than James Bond I guess
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    I think the suits are more of a problem to me.
    Ok I know slim fitting suits are the in thing at the moment but on anyone over 30 they look rather silly, a kind of male mutton dressed as lamb, Apparantly under Dame Judys long coat she is sporting a mini skirt and boob tube.
    Correct me if Iam wrong but surely Bond (regardless who is playing him looks better in classic clothes as opposed to fashion clothes.
  • HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
    superdaddy wrote:
    I think the suits are more of a problem to me.
    Ok I know slim fitting suits are the in thing at the moment but on anyone over 30 they look rather silly, a kind of male mutton dressed as lamb, Apparantly under Dame Judys long coat she is sporting a mini skirt and boob tube.
    Correct me if Iam wrong but surely Bond (regardless who is playing him looks better in classic clothes as opposed to fashion clothes.

classic clothes all the way....

having read some of the comments, it IS true that the outfit as a whole looks decent on DC. But the button down and tight suit again take away from one of the elements i've mentioned here before...the element of refinement.

i dont believe that the button down could ever be misconstrued for an 'elegant' collar...Agnelli is admired by fashionistas... but in my opinion only because he might of been one of several responsible for initiating a 'watering down' of sound classic style.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    As long as they keep him out of Leisure Suites, Safari Jackets, Short Wide Ties and Polyester I'm ok.

IMO, trendy has not worked well for Bond.
    HowardB wrote:
    As long as they keep him out of Leisure Suites, Safari Jackets, Short Wide Ties and Polyester I'm ok.

I dont recall him wearing short wide ties...was it DAF?
    Halcon wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

Yes....DAF. Check out the scene where Bond tangles with the two Amazons in the pool.
  • HoagieHoagie Posts: 48MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:

Absolutely! Bond hasn't looked this sharp for years, and the proof of that is we're discussing the nature of his shirt collar! (which I think looks fine by the way).

The sight of Roger Moore in a vest and white denim in LALD would have set this forum alight had it been around then!!

Nope, my only complaint about the Craig look is the three buttons on the suit, which while it looks great on him, means my two buttoners may soon be out of date!
    I thought most Craig fans had straps on their Jackets, You know. Running down the Back. :))

Only Joking guys. ;)

I was never a fan of the safari suit.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HoagieHoagie Posts: 48MI6 Agent
    I thought most Craig fans had straps on their Jackets, You know. Running down the Back. :))

Only Joking guys. ;)

I was never a fan of the safari suit.
    As long as it's nicely tailored, maybe two straps on the back, not three, and a nice mid grey...
    Hoagie wrote:
    As long as it's nicely tailored, maybe two straps on the back, not three, and a nice mid grey...

-{ :)) :)) :))
    HowardB wrote:
    Halcon wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

Yes....DAF. Check out the scene where Bond tangles with the two Amazons in the pool.

ha!
    it didnt look too bad actually, it just wasnt very Bondian, or more precisely Connery Bondian. It might not have looked too out of place on Moore perhaps...err.. maybe not...
    Halcon wrote:
    HowardB wrote:
    Halcon wrote:

ha!
    it didnt look too bad actually, it just wasnt very Bondian, or more precisely Connery Bondian. It might not have looked too out of place on Moore perhaps...err.. maybe not...

Definitely not, it looked terrible.
    What was always impressive about Bond's wardrobe in the first five films is that the suites are classic and so perfectly tailored that they don't ever look dated. The one big cringe worthy fashion moment in a Connery film is the one piece terry beach jumber in "Goldfinger". IMO, Dalton was dressed well in both TLD and LTK especially when he wasn't in a suit.
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    What was always impressive about Bond's wardrobe in the first five films is that the suites are classic and so perfectly tailored that they don't ever look dated. The one big cringe worthy fashion moment in a Connery film is the one piece terry beach jumber in "Goldfinger". IMO, Dalton was dressed well in both TLD and LTK especially when he wasn't in a suit.

Nice to hear from someone else who liked the way Dalton dressed as Bond. He was treated rather harshly in the Bond style book The Suited Hero, and I always thought that was a bit unfair. While his clothes were nowhere near as high-end as, say, Brosnan's, I thought his wardrobe really fit the character.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
    HowardB wrote:

Nice to hear from someone else who liked the way Dalton dressed as Bond. He was treated rather harshly in the Bond style book The Suited Hero, and I always thought that was a bit unfair. While his clothes were nowhere near as high-end as, say, Brosnan's, I thought his wardrobe really fit the character.

I also felt that Dalton's look was very good. My only quibble was that his hair was possibly a bit too long, not as bad as Brosnan in GE Who looks like a member of Duran Duran in the beach scene, but maybe a tad longer than it should have been. For me Bond should privelage style over fashion and should be contemporary but not a fashion victim.
    zaphod wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

I also felt that Dalton's look was very good. My only quibble was that his hair was possibly a bit too long, not as bad as Brosnan in GE Who looks like a member of Duran Duran in the beach scene, but maybe a tad longer than it should have been. For me Bond should privelage style over fashion and should be contemporary but not a fashion victim.

well said...

interestingly the collar/tie combinations in QOS were actually very uninspiring imo. maybe it was that dreaded full windsor (perfect upside down triangle) knot...it made me cringe everytime i saw it...reminded me too much of 'ol Donald Trump. in that sense, the new style is better.
  • ArdeeArdee Posts: 18MI6 Agent
    I think this new style sort of harks back to the greys and blue of Connery's early days. It ought to be a tradition, like the tuxedo, to have Bond actors wear blue grenadine and a grey suit at least once.

As for the button-down, I hadn't even noticed they were tabbed collars until reading this... The return of a simple white linen pocket-square had me all excited. Now I can only wish for a modernized 'Bond' cocktail cuff.
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    I have not quibbled too much about Craig's wardrobe in these films mainly because his character is supposed to be a rebooted Bond for the 21st century, so I suppose they want to try and put him a little distance from the other Bond's. So far I'm okay with what I've seen in the shots from Skyfall. His wardrobe is on the conservative side as it should be, and though his suits are a bit tight on his frame, they are tailored perfectly for him. The collar does not bother me too much. I prefer Bond in the Turnbull and Asser spread collars (as Fleming wore them), but the tab collars are okay on Craig (they do keep the knot tidy and in place). I can see that Ford is doing a take on the suits from the Sixties, and that's fine. However, I've hated it ever since the costumers stopped getting the suits from Saville Row. Bond always got his suits there in the novels, because..well lets face it - there bespoke English suits from Saville Row. How much more British can one get? Now, granted, the conservative tailors from there don't need to layout thousands of pounds to get their products a product placement in the films. They do very well without the added income. However, it would still be nice if the producers would keep Bond in British made gear.
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    However, I've hated it ever since the costumers stopped getting the suits from Saville Row. Bond always got his suits there in the novels, because..well lets face it - there bespoke English suits from Saville Row.

Did he? Are you certain about that? I'd certainly like your reference point for it.

Or is it just a personal assumption, which may, or may not, be true?
    However, I've hated it ever since the costumers stopped getting the suits from Saville Row. Bond always got his suits there in the novels, because..well lets face it - there bespoke English suits from Saville Row.

Did he? Are you certain about that? I'd certainly like your reference point for it.

I too understood that Connery only wore Saville Row at the genesis of the series.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Halcon wrote:

I too understood that Connery only wore Saville Row at the genesis of the series.

Connery wore Anthony Sinclair tailored suits. Lazenby wore Anthony Sinclair suits originally made for Connery. Moore wore suits tailored by Douglas Hayward. Dalton got his suits from the Salvation Army. Brosnan wore Brioni.
  • alexeberlinalexeberlin Posts: 104MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Halcon wrote:

Connery wore Anthony Sinclair tailored suits. Lazenby wore Anthony Sinclair suits originally made for Connery. Moore wore suits tailored by Douglas Hayward. Dalton got his suits from the Salvation Army. Brosnan wore Brioni.

Lazenby wore Dimi Major. Moore used several tailors and got his casual wear from Liberace's trash. Dalton wore Ralph Lauren, Armani, Hamnett and Kenzo.
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 1,035MI6 Agent
    "Connery wore Anthony Sinclair tailored suits. Lazenby wore Anthony Sinclair suits originally made for Connery. Moore wore suits tailored by Douglas Hayward. Dalton got his suits from the Salvation Army. Brosnan wore Brioni." - Gala Brand

"Lazenby wore Dimi Major. Moore used several tailors and got his casual wear from Liberace's trash. Dalton wore Ralph Lauren, Armani, Hamnett and Kenzo." - alexeberlin

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

-{ Guys! You just made my day!!! I was about to comment on the tab collar shirts (you know, if you want "tech support" style you go to the source: Ian Fleming, just wear short sleeve shirts and a tie!!!) But I can't be bothered now, that was just hilarious.

Oh BTW: IMHO the style of the Skyfall is going to be crap, as Jany Temime said in the videoblog: "a little 2012 touch". Craigs shirts and suits will be outdated in just 2 years, you mark my words!
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    0073 wrote:
    "Connery wore Anthony Sinclair tailored suits. Lazenby wore Anthony Sinclair suits originally made for Connery. Moore wore suits tailored by Douglas Hayward. Dalton got his suits from the Salvation Army. Brosnan wore Brioni." - Gala Brand

"Lazenby wore Dimi Major. Moore used several tailors and got his casual wear from Liberace's trash. Dalton wore Ralph Lauren, Armani, Hamnett and Kenzo." - alexeberlin

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

-{ Guys! You just made my day!!! I was about to comment on the tab collar shirts (you know, if you want "tech support" style you go to the source: Ian Fleming, just wear short sleeve shirts and a tie!!!) But I can't be bothered now, that was just hilarious.

Oh BTW: IMHO the style of the Skyfall is going to be crap, as Jany Temime said in the videoblog: "a little 2012 touch". Craigs shirts and suits will be outdated in just 2 years, you mark my words!

i had a pretty good chuckle upon reading "Dalton got his from Salvation Army"!
    i remember thinking the very same thing when i first saw TLD...

at first i thought too that the look would be outdated, but the style is JUST subtle and reserved enough that it might survive...