Does anybody else have a problem with Bond's new button downs??

2»

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I remember watching an Open University series on the making of TSWLM in which
    they said they looked forward a few years to try and see where the fashion might be going .
    To try and keep Bond up to date, rather than reflect what's in fashion at the moment.
    The only problem I have with the T Ford suit is they all seem too tight and a little short
    but then that's just my taste and that's not very fashionable, as I haven't worn a suit in
    years. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    edited July 2012
    However, I've hated it ever since the costumers stopped getting the suits from Saville Row. Bond always got his suits there in the novels, because..well lets face it - there bespoke English suits from Saville Row.

Did he? Are you certain about that? I'd certainly like your reference point for it.

Or is it just a personal assumption, which may, or may not, be true?

My reference point on his suits are the novels. Fleming stated Bond had his suits tailored but never had them made with labels. Now Bond being a commander in the RNVR as well as a senior agent in the Service, and given the time frame his character existed in, and given the fact that Fleming himself got his clothes tailored near Saville Rowe (Benson, Perry and Whitley in Cork St.), and that he dressed Bond as he dressed himself, then it's safe to conclude Bond had his suits tailored there. Now, everyone has visions of Fleming in his bow tie pictures, but I've seen many where he's wearing a regular tie, and despite what they have Bond wear in the films as far as long sleeved shirts, in the novels he wore half sleeved ones like his creator wore (because as he said, he disliked cuffs and cufflinks). I realized that times have changed and there are many other fine designers like Ford and that Craig is a rebooted Bond, but I still feel it would be nice if his kit was from Saville Rowe. It's a very high standard of attire in the world and it identifies the character with his country. The members of the Royal Family and a large number of government and military figures have gotten their suits there for for as long as the tailors have been there, and it would tie Bond in with his nationality.
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    However, I've hated it ever since the costumers stopped getting the suits from Saville Row. Bond always got his suits there in the novels, because..well lets face it - there bespoke English suits from Saville Row.

Did he? Are you certain about that? I'd certainly like your reference point for it.

Or is it just a personal assumption, which may, or may not, be true?

My reference point on his suits are the novels. Fleming stated Bond had his suits tailored but never had them made with labels. Now Bond being a commander in the RNVR as well as a senior agent in the Service, and given the time frame his character existed in, and given the fact that Fleming himself got his clothes tailored in Saville Rowe (Henry Poole & Co.), and that he dressed Bond as he dressed himself, then it's safe to conclude Bond had his suits tailored there. Now, everyone has visions of Fleming in his bow tie pictures, but I've seen many where he's wearing a regular tie, and despite what they have Bond wear in the films as far as long sleeved shirts, in the novels he wore half sleeved ones like his creator wore (because as he said, he disliked cuffs and cufflinks). I realized that times have changed and there are many other fine designers like Ford and that Craig is a rebooted Bond, but I still feel it would be nice if his kit was from Saville Rowe. It's a very high standard of attire in the world and it identifies the character with his country. The members of the Royal Family and a large number of government and military figures have gotten their suits there for for as long as the tailors have been there, and it would tie Bond in with his nationality.

Fair enough - and suspect you're right - but it's only implied they are Saville Row, not EXPLICTLY stated as such. Indeed, doesn't Bond laugh at the overfussy SAVILLE ROW tailoring of Count Lippe in THUNDERBALL? (IIRC, this point was picked up on by Amis in the JAMES BOND DOSSIER?).

Bit like Dell Deaton's giving Bond a Rolex Explorer BECAUSE that's what Fleming had; such conclusions can be inaccurate - and misleading to others who then take personal opinion for fact.
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    edited July 2012
    I don't think Fleming was having Bond commenting on the quality of Saville Row tailors in his Count Lippe remark, but on how Lippe had his outfit vainly designed with added details. The tailors will make a suit to any customer's specification. Bond (and Fleming) obviously distrusted people who were too vain or flamboyant in their appearance (there's that Windsor knot again!). As far as Fleming not specifically stating Bond had his clothes tailored there, I believe it was another way in which he was trying to make Bond someone we could identify with. Just like the way that although he wears a Rolex - it's supplied by the Service. Also, the fact that he drives Bentleys but they are always used with their pattina of opulence removed (painted flat grey, etc.). Also, having his tailor specified would seem vulgar to Fleming, as opposed to the villain's tailors. He did that just to show how they could afford them but didn't appreciated what they had.

I'm sorry I don't know anything about the Deaton reference. As far as such conclusions being inadvertently misleading and someone mistaking opinion for fact, your correct. However, we can't let our opinions in any area be affected by how someone might confuse them with hard facts. We are only responsible for making sure the research behind our opinion is thorough and up to date. We will make mistakes at times (even Fleming made many in his novels - I automatically thought he was stated a solid fact about the Bern-Martin holster, holding Bond's pistol when it was only made for revolvers, etc.)

My opinion of Bond's clothes being tailored in Saville Rowe comes from my research and observations. One of those came from the time I actually visited Benson, Perry and Whitley in Cork St. as a tourist and got to speak with one of the tailor's (and a tailor who had worked with his father was Fleming's tailor). We discussed Fleming having his suits made there and when I asked him if he thought that Bond would have been tailored in that area - since Fleming never actually said he was, he didn't hesitate to say Bond would have been.

Again, it's only my opinion (and the opinion of someone from that business) that this is a probability - not proof.
  • HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
    I remember watching an Open University series on the making of TSWLM in which
    they said they looked forward a few years to try and see where the fashion might be going .
    To try and keep Bond up to date, rather than reflect what's in fashion at the moment.
    The only problem I have with the T Ford suit is they all seem too tight and a little short
    but then that's just my taste and that's not very fashionable, as I haven't worn a suit in
    years. :))

how can you be a Bond fan and not wear suits???! :s
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I like to think I'm more Like Fleming, as I work for myself
    I wear what I like, normally casual comfortable clothes.
    Trousers and loose shirts. Havent quite streched to a Cravate
    But who knows. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Mr. DB5Mr. DB5 Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    As long as they keep him out of Leisure Suites, Safari Jackets, Short Wide Ties and Polyester I'm ok.

IMO, trendy has not worked well for Bond.

Coonery wore a sort of Safari jacket/shirt in one of the early Bond movies.