The Rant Box

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Yes, it's a famous quote, and I did say in my post as long as the intelligence services are
    Accountable to parliament . Who after all are democratically elected. Just to stop any
    excessive use of "special powers" .
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    True, but elected officials must have a tighter control of the surveilance state and curtail it more than they do now.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I always find it funny when people complain that the government are watching them and know what they're doing. If you pay your taxes, don't smuggle drugs/arms/illegal materials and aren't planning on overthrowing the government or committing mass acts of violence, the government very quickly loses interest in you, even if they ever looked at you at all.

Facebook, Microsoft, Google, Instagram, Twitter, Amazon etc etc on the other hand, knows EVERYTHING about you. They know what you eat, what you wear, what music you listen to, what movies you watch, what books you read. They know approximately how much money you make, where you live and who your friends are. They know how old you are, when your birthday is and if you're married. They then sell or share that information with all sorts of businesses. Now THAT I find scary.
    To the first part of your post I think Niemøller said it best.

I agree with the last part of your post.
    Not to mention all the infomation from AJB, that I pass on. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    Oh, a spy in our midst!!!

Who'd have thunk it?! :))
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    If one wants to stop your country from becoming a police/surveilance state,

First effective strategy would not to post any personal information at the net.

People pasting their own profile and/or pic can hardly assume that those informations are not used - by good and evil

That's why I am not on facebook, Whatsapp etc.

In the old days, espionage had to find ways to collect those, now we supply the world with much more intelligence than they could never gather.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    Most high ranking politicians seem to be the same. :#
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    I know our referendum thread was closed but .....

I will be so pleased when the dam thing is over and done with.

I'm sick to death with the whole thing and the amount of nastiness and vitriol it has created.

I really don't care what the result is anymore.
    I rather like the nastiness and vitriol ..... reminds me of my marriage ! :))

( only joking my love ) :x
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    I was thinking about this today. About a month ago I didnt mind however now its getting tedious and I think people are starting to lose interest.

Its as if they started campaigning far too early.

Guess same could be said for the US presidential race. Too much exposure / news overload with just too much mud being thrown
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    In my opinion, elements on both sides have stooped to the same depths and neither can hold their head up at the end with any pride or dignity. I know it's a very serious issue, but the vitriol, scare-mongering and hatred from both have been nothing short of appalling. I sincerely hope that this is not a sign of things to come but rather a nasty one-off that's soon put behind us.
    If you are looking onto other countries, I am afraid that is is not over - unfortunately.

I've been living in Austria 25 years ago and there the populist movement has started with all the hate against the establishment, the Nationalism and xenophobia and so on.

That kind of movement has spread now all over Europe and the US and in my opinion he political disagreements will get more aggressive for a long time - without really changing anything that they promise.

Luckily as a Non Voter, I'm above at that rubbish politics. :D nothing changes, no
    Matter who you vote for. :))
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,363Chief of Staff
    It wouldn't be reasonable not to talk about the referendum at all, since it's only a few days away now, but can we please keep it on polite terms (as everyone has been doing :) ) and general discussion only? Thanks.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    The most informative and truthful 4 and a bit minutes on the whole in/out EU debate you'll ever witness;

(warning, contains some big words and a few naughty ones)

https://youtu.be/dpM8xOFvtSg
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Phantastic bit, Microbe :)) :)) :))

• minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Phantastic bit, Microbe :)) :)) :))

that's what mrs geff says :o
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,606Chief of Staff
    minigeff wrote:
    The most informative and truthful 4 and a bit minutes on the whole in/out EU debate you'll ever witness;

(warning, contains some big words and a few naughty ones)

https://youtu.be/dpM8xOFvtSg

Most informative piece on the referendum yet !

That should be put on tv -{
    YNWA 97
    I think no result of the Brithish referendum will end in heaven or hell. There will be changes (at least if there is a Brexit), but no change will be dramatic to Britain. A Brexit might trigger further exits in the EU, but Britain will no longer be a member by then,
    At least that's what I think :)
    I heard a very funny statement on Sky this morning, a journalist commenting on
    the referendum said something like,
    " Britain is divided, 50% hate the EU and want to leave, and 50% hate the EU
    and want to stay !" :))
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent

Yes, I imagine for most people in the UK (excluding perhaps those who work for the EU) there's not a big lot of love lost there. Thus, voting LEAVE in the imminent referendum would appear to be the best option.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Hilarious, and probably very close to the truth as well!
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I heard a journalist ask ,if we wasn't in the EU ,would we want to join ?? 8-)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    I tell you really gets my goat X-( X-(
    my missus had a mate round this afternoon ,and I had to go and pick up my daughter from work ,so as Mrs AS wasn't cooking ,I said ,I will get fish &chips ",no don't me any im on a diet" came the reply ,SO I gets back with chips ,sausages ,and BBQ spare ribs ,that are so sticky ,if you through them at the wall they would stick ,no sooner than my backs turned ,there she is scoffing my chips and my ribs , I hate it ,its the same if I get a Chinese ,or a kebab , "No don't me any ,and as soon as I put it on my plate its
    oh gis a bit,it drives me mad X-(
    We've all been there...
    " I'm getting chips, do you want some ? ". "NO!"
    That's woman for " If I eat your's they don't count " :))
    Lady Rose wrote:

Time and time again ,we get these public school educated idiots ,who live in the middle of no where ,with no sense of reality ,making decisions about real life ,and as per usual mucking it up , when most people retire because they are getting old and senile ,they start to employ these people ,because he is a good egg ,or daddy was in the same regiment ,shoot the lot of them ,get normal people in who have a sense of realism ,sentence these maniacs to a proper life sentence ,then perhaps ,these criminals wouldn't be so keen to break the law
    Agreed, I sometimes roll my eyes when you hear of some terrible crime, and then you hear
    The sentence. Which is usually laughable. :# even murder now only gets 15 years, which is
    Usually cut to only half served in prison so that's really only 7 and a half years, then take off time spent
    On remand and that gives you roughly 7 years for Murder !