Idris Elba for Bond!

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,593Chief of Staff
    Bondtoys wrote:
    .... busy evening, Sir Miles, isn't it? :v

Is it ever :#
    YNWA 97
    minigeff wrote:
    granny miles

I feel more like Kindergarten Cop :#
    YNWA 97
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I`ve been a fan of Idris Elba since The Wire and I think he is a star in the making. But there are two reasons he can`t be Bond: He is too old and he is black. He is about the age of DC, so it`s too late to start a Bond.
    When it comes to skin colour - Bond is from an old Scotish family. Imagine sitting in the cinema watching Bond played by Elba saying to M....

And I've deleted your spoilers from your quote No 24, I think you should too! :v
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
    With regard to the chauffer's son turned gay and his book Catching Bullets (which the author has turned up on this site to promote) I should say that the gay angle is woven into the story and is its USP, well, along with being EON chauffer's son, otherwise it could be any of us knocking out a nostalgic growing up with Bond piece, v similar into a serialisation in the current Starburst mags, by another author. So, can't blame him or the pr folk for playing up that angle.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    granny miles
    LMAO and writing that down in my notebook for the next possible occasion to use....
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • GordoLeiterGordoLeiter Posts: 462MI6 Agent
    Hey everyone disregard the wise cracks i posted earlier, i was just trying to have a laugh with you guys but i guess it back fired on me. I apologize.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    -{
    Hey everyone disregard the wise cracks i posted earlier, i was just trying to have a laugh with you guys but i guess it back fired on me. I apologize.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent

Good man.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,803MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I`ve been a fan of Idris Elba since The Wire and I think he is a star in the making. But there are two reasons he can`t be Bond: He is too old and he is black. He is about the age of DC, so it`s too late to start a Bond.
    When it comes to skin colour - Bond is from an old Scotish family. Imagine sitting in the cinema watching Bond played by Elba saying to M....

And I've deleted your spoilers from your quote No 24, I think you should too! :v

I made that "quote" up, and I'm pretty sure I'm not one of the Skyfall scriptwriters :))
  • osrisosris Posts: 558MI6 Agent
    edited December 2012
    A black Bond would not be in keeping with Bond's literary genealogy. As has been mentioned, he is from Scots lineage, going back several centuries. If Bond became black, a whole new genealogical back-story would need to be created, not only for future films but also future Bond novels, which would confuse the continuity of the Bond universe even more than the reboot has.

On a lighthearted note, does anyone think John Shaft should be played by a white actor? :)
    minigeff wrote:
    that to change his appearance in such a dramatic way would ruin that familiarity for many people.

I agree, but that the Bond producers are even considering it, brings in to question their judgement, and especially their judgment regarding the reboot. One has to ask whether they really cherish the Bond legacy. Bab’s dad would be turning in his grave.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    osris wrote:
    minigeff wrote:
    that to change his appearance in such a dramatic way would ruin that familiarity for many people.

I agree, but that the Bond producers are even considering it, brings in to question their judgement, and especially their judgment regarding the reboot. One has to ask whether they really cherish the Bond legacy. Bab’s dad would be turning in his grave.

Considering what?
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Considering a black actor to play Bond, at least according to the newspaper reports.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    :)) if you say gullible slowly it sounds like pineapple.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    But this thread is based on the newspaper reports. I’m just contributing to it.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    If Iris Elba wasnt a crip maybe id be more open to him being Bond. :))

I suggest you re-phrase that Comment VERY quickly.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    If Iris Elba wasnt a crip maybe id be more open to him being Bond. :))

I suggest you re-phrase that Comment VERY quickly.

He did apologize for that remark.......but if you cared to check....you would see he is unable to "re-phrase" the comment as he is now banned.
    YNWA 97
  • Catching BulletsCatching Bullets Posts: 49MI6 Agent
    edited December 2013
    minigeff wrote:
    What confuses me, is that in today's society where people of different races, orientation, colours and creeds seek to be treated impartially (which I'm all for), why do some members of said social group make a big deal of their differences.

I couldn't give a crap who your god is, what colour your skin is or who you prefer to sleep with, there's good and bad in all, but I really pisses me off when people make a big deal of it.

An example would be a book I saw on amazon, that one written by the grandson of a retired EoN chauffeur. The synopsis and description had the fact the author was gay mentioned virtually every other sentence. "Gay author writes about experiences growing up as a gay bond fan and being gay in the 80's, as he's gay and also the grandson of a retired chauffeur, oh and he's gay. He's also gay."

Jeez, if ya want equality, stop asking for special recognition.

It's the same with this idris guy. He was great in rock n rolla and brilliant as Luther.

I not wanting a black guy playing bond is not down to being racist, or anything to do with the actors capabilities, it's due to the fact that the character of bond is so set in stone and recognisable globally, that to change his appearance in such a dramatic way would ruin that familiarity for many people.

And labelling all black people as gangstars is daft, I know I touched on that by using 'innit' but that (for those who didn't twig) was a bit of tongue in cheek.

MG

Apologies if re-heating old threads is frowned upon on the shores of AJB007 but I felt compelled to respond to this one...

As the author of CATCHING BULLETS, the blurb / press was and is not bound by my sexuality. I have not once wanted my work or BULLETS to be about garnering "special recognition" because I am a gay man. It has however had a good momentum of response from the gay community and "pink press" and that is only - for me anyway - flattering and kinda nice to be acknowledged as another "voice" in the more immediate documentation and archiving of a British 1980s childhood - which was actually an interesting and less examined time for Bond fans and for 1980s childhoods (the norm was always to discuss Bond from the rose-tinted prism of the 1960s and 1970s).

Furthermore, the official blurb and releases for the book did not play the gay card. Growing up as a gay kid in the Britain of 1980s and being into Bond AND having 007 in my life in such a way as it was felt like the makings of a good story. Even to this day folk wonder why a gay kid would be into James Bond 007. For that to even be asked says - sadly - that "recognition" is the least of the problem.
    Mark O'Connell | Author, Writer, Bond Fan

facebook.com/catchingbullets
    www.markoconnell.co.uk
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    What confuses me, is that in today's society where people of different races, orientation, colours and creeds seek to be treated impartially (which I'm all for), why do some members of said social group make a big deal of their differences.

I couldn't give a crap who your god is, what colour your skin is or who you prefer to sleep with, there's good and bad in all, but I really pisses me off when people make a big deal of it.

An example would be a book I saw on amazon, that one written by the grandson of a retired EoN chauffeur. The synopsis and description had the fact the author was gay mentioned virtually every other sentence. "Gay author writes about experiences growing up as a gay bond fan and being gay in the 80's, as he's gay and also the grandson of a retired chauffeur, oh and he's gay. He's also gay."

Jeez, if ya want equality, stop asking for special recognition

It's the same with this idris guy. He was great in rock n rolla and brilliant as Luther.

I not wanting a black guy playing bond is not down to being racist, or anything to do with the actors capabilities, it's due to the fact that the character of bond is so set in stone and recognisable globally, that to change his appearance in such a dramatic way would ruin that familiarity for many people.

And labelling all black people as gangstars is daft, I know I touched on that by using 'innit' but that (for those who didn't twig) was a bit of tongue in cheek.

MG

Apologies if re-heating old threads is frowned upon on the shores of AJB007 but I felt compelled to respond to this one...

As the author of CATCHING BULLETS, the blurb / press was and is not bound by my sexuality. I have not once wanted my work or BULLETS to be about garnering "special recognition" because I am a gay man. It has however had a good momentum of response from the gay community and "pink press" and that is only - for me anyway - flattering and kinda nice to be acknowledged as another "voice" in the more immediate documentation and archiving of a British 1980s childhood - which was actually an interesting and less examined time for Bond fans and for 1980s childhoods (the norm was always to discuss Bond from the rose-tinted prism of the 1960s and 1970s).

Furthermore, the official blurb and releases for the book did not play the gay card. Growing up as a gay kid in the Britain of 1980s and being into Bond AND having 007 in my life in such a way as it was felt like the makings of a good story. Even to this day folk wonder why a gay kid would be into James Bond 007. For that to even be asked says - sadly - that "recognition" is the least of the problem.

Well-done! And I thoroughly enjoyed the book! -{
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Yaphet Kotto commented to the topic as follows:

“Political correctness be damned, we have to stay with what is literally correct"
    “A lot of people say black actors should be allowed to play everything. Don’t be ridiculous.If I say I want to play JFK I should be laughed out the room."

Wise man I must say!

http://www.bigissue.com/the-mix/news/5042/yaphet-kotto-interview-james-bond-cannot-be-black
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    Damnit, just read this article myself on Facebook, used the search engine found this topic only to find out that of course another fan beat me to it :)) - sigh.

But yes, intresting to see that a fellow black actor is against it. I was actually lighting up to the idea myself, as was pointed out by fellow AJB'ers a couple of months ago that it could be a wise and modern direction. I still have mixed feelings about it, I do kind of agree with Kotto, but I can see it happening nonetheless. Also because Michael G. Wilson stated in a recent interview that Idris Elba would be a "terrific Bond".
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I don't have a problem with it. :)) Idris is a fantastic actor, the only thing
    That's against him is his age. :# We need a young healthy Bond ( given
    The amount of injuries, he's going to get). :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Sadly, Elba will be too old for the Role by the Time Craig Leaves.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    I don't want them to do it if it's just for the sake of hiring a black actor. However, if it happens, I'd have no problem with it, it's just wether they can find people to do it. American actors always turn down Bond because they feel he should be played by a british actor. I'm sure some actors they ask would turn it down for a similar reason.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Mr Elba's star has already risen. Quite right too. - Hes famous, established and well known. However, Captain Scarlet is quite right. He is only marginally younger than Mr Craig (42, to 47). So that is not in his favour. The sensible thing is to cast another experienced, but relatively unknown actor. It worked very well in the cases of Sir Sean and Mr Craig.

As always though, my thoughts are lets worry about this issue when we need a new James bond. We are not there by a long chalk. As to Mr Elba, he si doing well in films tv and the stage. - He's great in the Thor films for a start.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    He may be too old now to play Bond, but I'd love to see him in the films
    As a villain or friend to Bond. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Maybe Idris could play Blofeld for a couple of pictures.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    He may be too old now to play Bond, but I'd love to see him in the films
    As a villain or friend to Bond. -{

Ooh Crikey! You are onto something there Pussy, he could be a fantastic Bond baddie!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Maybe Idris could play Blofeld for a couple of pictures.

even better, what if sean connery shaved off the hair on the sides of his head and played blofeld
    A Blofeld with a Scottish accent ? Let the arguments begin ! :))