Would you take a 5 year old to see Skyfall?

PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
I wouldn't but the guy behind us did. The kid kept on talking and while a few people asked the guy if he could make sure that they could enjoy the movie and that Skyfall wasn't suited for someone that young it just went on and on. After 30 minutes me and my girlfriend walked out and went home because we didn't look forward to another 2 hours of "is James Bond dead now daddy?", "Is he the bad guy daddy?", "Where did he go daddy?", "What is that girl doing daddy?". So we'll have to watch the rest of the movie another time. Too bad because we were really looking forward to it. But my question to you is, do you think Skyfall is a movie that a 5 year old could enjoy and sit through?
1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad

Comments

• JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Me and my friend were talking about this when we saw it last week, and there were young children there. Bond films, especially ones like Skyfall, should just not be watched by young children at the cinema. I mean, at home ok. But at a cinema, no, because the children clearly aren't going to be that interested, nor will they even understand it. Plus they will talk talk talk, like you said, ruining it for other viewers.

I can understand people wanting to introduce their children to bond, for nostalgia kicking in for them in later life, but I think it should take place at home only - not the cinema. Just my opinion.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    No, I don't think bond is for 5 year olds.

Kids lack sense and patience. The film is 2.5hrs long, kids get bored and tired, chaos ensues.

Also, even with the lack of massive amounts of blood, a bond film is a bit violent for a kid IMO. 12 years old and upward, sure, any less, no.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,625Chief of Staff
    minigeff wrote:
    No, I don't think bond is for 5 year olds.

Kids lack sense and patience. The film is 2.5hrs long, kids get bored and tired, chaos ensues.

Also, even with the lack of massive amounts of blood, a bond film is a bit violent for a kid IMO. 12 years old and upward, sure, any less, no.

I agree with most of that, minigeff....but I'll be taking my son to watch it this week...and he's just turned 11...he saw QoS at the cinema a couple of times...but he was too young to sit through CRat the cinema...but did watch it several times at home...
    YNWA 97
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    I'm surprised nobody complained to theater management. It's rude to let your kid continue to talk while others are enjoying the movie. I won't be seeing Skyfall the first week, just so I can avoid the kids and rude people. Batman Begins was ruined because a woman brought her kid in the theater and wouldn't be quiet. That is until, some told her loudly and very bluntly to be quiet. A yelling kid, missed dialog and ten minutes later I was able to enjoy the rest of the movie. Almost the same thing happened with Transformers. I can go on and on. I have vowed, if someone can't be quiet during the movie, I'll make sure management knows so the people can be taken care of.

Hopefully next time you can enjoy the whole movie without interruption.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I think there is a big difference between 5 and 11 years old. Someone on the cinema staff saw us leave and asked if we didn't enjoyed the movie. I explained what had happened and he went to his superior right away. We didn't stay to see what happened because we kind of had enough for tonight. I hope next time will be better. I feel sorry for the people around us who were also really annoyed and actually tried to talk sense into the dad.

And don't get me wrong, I don't mind people talking during the movie once in a while, you prepare for that when you go to a movie here in Holland (you also prepare for people using mobile phones etc.) but this was just a bit too much.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Took my 7 year old to see Skyfall and he was fine. Sure I had to tell him to stop fidgeting a couple of times. But it was just me making sure he was behaving. He came out of the cinema wide eyed and open mouthed and thought it was brilliant. :D I wouldn't have taken him if I hadn't thought he could sit through it. I was a proud and very happy Daddy that night. -{
    I don't blame the kid, I blame the dad.
  • scottmu65scottmu65 Carlisle, Cumbria, UKPosts: 402MI6 Agent
    I was sat behind two teenage girls the second time I saw it and even they couldn't shut up, even some adults were ruining it however I do have a 6 year old daughter and I am not sure if I would take her to see Skyfall specifically (as I have seen it twice and I am aware of the language in some parts) but if it wasn't for that I don't think I would have any problems taking her to see it. She loves James Bond and also loves the cinema, she's absolutely enchanted by the whole experience, I have taken her many times and although she can be quite naughty alot of the time at home, in the cinema she is a pleasure, she will sit in silence and take everything in. I think especially so with James Bond, she watches the older PG rated films and remembers everything, even let her watch CR the other night and she was up the next day playing Bond with her brother, it reminds me so much of when I was child making up James Bond games with my friends so I really don't mind.

Her brother on the other hand can't sit still or shut up for anything and as a rule have never bothered taking him to the cinema yet (he's nearly 4) as we know it will be a nightmare.

In regards to the original question, I'm not sure if I would let her go to see Skyfall because of the language in the film (although she knows about swearing and catergorically NOT TO lol) but if it wasn't for that I know she'd be very good while watching it. I guess what I am trying to say is that if you know your child will not sit still and shut up easily, especially in situations where it is a big no-no, then parents should understand this and respect other people and not take them.
    http://www.classicbondforums.tk - Please support our community.
  • 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    Nope. Bringing kids to anything other than a kids movie is rude to the entire audience. If you can't get a sitter, stay at home.

You should not have left without getting a refund or free passes for next time.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent
    No
  • SiddersSidders London Posts: 98MI6 Agent
    No, not at all. The only films my 6 & 4 year old see at the cinema is films such as Cars 2, Toy Story 3, Tangled etc. etc.
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    I have to say that though I love films I hate the cinema experience. With regard to SKYFALL, not only did I have to suffer three girls to my left giggling throughout (I gave them a terse look but it only made them laugh more) but also had to endure people getting up every five minutes or so to either get food & drink or visit the toilet. The multiplex just isn't a pleasure these days & I prefer to watch films on DVD when I can.
    Because we both have unlimited access to cinemas here in Holland for 26 euros a month I wasn't going to bother to get a refund. That was also the reason why it was easier for us to leave compared to the people next to us.
    scottmu65 wrote:
    (...)In regards to the original question, I'm not sure if I would let her go to see Skyfall because of the language in the film (although she knows about swearing and catergorically NOT TO lol) but if it wasn't for that I know she'd be very good while watching it. I guess what I am trying to say is that if you know your child will not sit still and shut up easily, especially in situations where it is a big no-no, then parents should understand this and respect other people and not take them.

I think you are right that it depends on the individual kid. My parents used to take me and my sister out to dinner at least once every two weeks. Not just because they liked going to a good restaurant but also to teach us how to behave in a public place. We were always well aware that we shouldn't bother other people and be "good".

What does surprise me however is the fact that the language in the movie is the biggest reason you wouldn't take your daughter to see it. Is an occasional swear word really worse than all the blood and violence in movies like this?
  • JimatayJimatay Posts: 126MI6 Agent
    Isn't taking underage kids into a film with a BBFC certificate against the law? Or am I missing something?
    I thought so too. Th movie is rated as a "12" movie here. But according to the policy of the cinema a younger person can go when he or she is accompanied by an adult.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:

:D I am quite surprised how you managed to get behind the height checks though :))
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Skyfall is not suitable for a five year old. Given the choice I wouldn't take anyone under ten.

I deliberately went to an early screening on a weekday morning knowing there would be less people in attendance with less chance of being disturbed. Even so, there was still about one hundred people that included half a dozen or so 5-8 year olds. Fair play to all of them, adults and kids behaved impeccably.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
    Jimatay wrote:
    Isn't taking underage kids into a film with a BBFC certificate against the law? Or am I missing something?

Skyfall a 12A
    Just an update - I watched the film for a second time. And I now feel more for the OP, as this time a father brought 2 children to see the film with him, both of which approximately 5 years old. They kept talking and talking, and were sat not far from me. It right pissed me off, and I even kicked their seat at one point!

They ruined the first 30 minutes or so of the film for me. It's a bloody good job I'd seen it once before.

And when I say they only ruined the first 30 minutes, it's not like they shut up after - I guess I just started to get used to it more. But still, I cannot see why children that young would be brought to a bond film. See, if the stupid 12a certificate never existed (which it shouldn't), then it would have been a 12 and none of this would have happened!
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    You should sit in a Colourful tracksuit, with long white hair and Hold a big Cigar.
    Then most People with kids would sit as far away from you as possible. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    edited November 2012
    I learned a valuable lesson with this when I was a student and had to do a couple of film reviews. - Which is exactly what Moore Than did!
    Deliberately go at times when kids and rude wankers won't be due to school / studies and work. I saw Skyfall on Sunday lunchtime. Cinema was busy but not full and everyone shut up as soon as the adverts were over. I am off work tomorrow due to having wisdom teeth out, so will go again. A Friday?! - Yup. At Lunchtime! I will put my review in the reviews thread over the weekend.

Re a 5 year old to see Bond? No way in hell. Sex, sexy women, violence, destruction, profanity? 12+ fine. But not below that at the cinema. If kids discover and love the Bond films themselves at home on DVD, fair enough. - again within reason.

Big Tam - sit to one side, but near the front. That reduces the chances of someone spoiling the view due to a duff bladder or appetite. If someone really is a bit much, say out loud they are spoiling the film, and identify them. - A glare makes it clear you are annoyed. Poinitng a giant finger that draws unwanted attention? - That's humiliating!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    Re a 5 year old to see Bond? No way in hell. Sex, sexy women, violence, destruction, profanity? 12+ fine. But not below that at the cinema. If kids discover and love the Bond films themselves at home on DVD, fair enough. - again within reason.

Yep. This is why the 12a certificate is stupid. It should be 12.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,625Chief of Staff
    Jarvio wrote:

Why ?

I've been in a cinema before where adults have talked through the film...and it's adults that tend to bring crisps in as a snack, and that's rude too...manners are not reliant upon age...

If it bothers you THAT much...go to an over-18 viewing of the movie...many cinemas now have these screenings...
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:

Why ?

I've been in a cinema before where adults have talked through the film...and it's adults that tend to bring crisps in as a snack, and that's rude too...manners are not reliant upon age...

If it bothers you THAT much...go to an over-18 viewing of the movie...many cinemas now have these screenings...

I know adults can be just as rude. And they often are. But as for children, they're not being 'rude', but just unaware. No fault of the children themselves of course. But these films are not meant for kids. 8-10 year olds fair enough. But 5 year olds? That's a bit much IMO.

The reason why I think the 12a certificate is silly in general is because it just completely gets rid of the bridge between PG and 12. To me, 12a is basically PG... I mean what exactly are the differences? I honestly cannot see the point in the 12a rating existing. If children under 12 are allowed to view as long as they're with an adult, then, doesn't that basically mean 'PG'?

I'm sure there's differences between 12a and PG, but they are that vague that it just seems pointless to me.

• MarcoMarco Central EuropePosts: 130MI6 Agent
    Peppermill wrote:
    I wouldn't but the guy behind us did. The kid kept on talking and while a few people asked the guy if he could make sure that they could enjoy the movie and that Skyfall wasn't suited for someone that young it just went on and on. After 30 minutes me and my girlfriend walked out and went home because we didn't look forward to another 2 hours of "is James Bond dead now daddy?", "Is he the bad guy daddy?", "Where did he go daddy?", "What is that girl doing daddy?". So we'll have to watch the rest of the movie another time. Too bad because we were really looking forward to it. But my question to you is, do you think Skyfall is a movie that a 5 year old could enjoy and sit through?
    Not at all, I have an almost 8 year old daughter and it would never cross my mind to take he to the cinema to watch a Bond movie. Would be too boring for her and probably she wouldn't be able to follow it. Last month that I watched quite often 007 movies on Sky 007 channel she was bothering me all the time with same questions. Who is the villain? Who is the good? What is going on now? Etc. Mine is almost 8 so 5 would be even worse.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    I took my son to see his first Bond film, TND, when he was five. I had already seen the film, so I was pretty sure he would enjoy it (he was actually thrilled). TND was actually a perfect Bond film for my son at that age because it is basically one action scene after another.

The thing of it is, both my children were trained/socialized at that age as to how to act in a movie theater.
    You want to see a film in a theater, this is how you conduct yourself........

My wife and I also actually made sure our children read books and developed an attention span. Unfortunately that is more the exception than the rule these days.

One of the things I really abhor is when "parents" bring really young children, especially infants, to absolutely inappropriate films, at inappropriate times and you have to put up with crying babies.....get a bloody babysitter for crying out loud.

All that being said, some of the worst offenders when it comes to rude, inconsiderate, inappropriate behavior in movie theaters are adults, young and old.
    Of to Amsterdam to see it again. This time at 3 o'clock. Wish me luck :D
  • lueth2048lueth2048 Posts: 120MI6 Agent
    I have a 5 year old and there is no chance I would take him to a movie that wasn't geared specifically toward kids.
    I guess it was a matter of good karma. An almost empty cinema in Amsterdam today with no one who was annoying. Really enjoyed the movie.
    I agree the 12A rating is silly, especially as the DVD releases don't hold this rating, they either cut stuff out and slap a PG rating on it, or just release it as a 12, but the reason we have a 12A rating is because of the Spider-man movies, alot of people complained that they couldn't take their kids to the first movie as it was a 12 (I know my 3 year old would be very upset if he couldn't see his Spider-man!) so they introduced the 12A rating for Spiderman 2. So i think this is why the Bond movies have stuck to the 12A rating since Casino Royale, alot of kids like James Bond I suppose. I know I used to, I went with my dad to see TWINE when I had not long turned 11 and my brother who was also there was 9 and my dad got told that we couldn't go in and I was very upset until he exchanged a few stern words about upsetting an 11 year old boy and denying him the one thing he love most (James Bond that is) and at christmas time too! After that It wasn't long before I was sat in the packed theater ready to enjoy my first Bond cinema experience! Technically the cinema worker was in the right but still...

Anyway back on topic, like I said earlier, as I have seen Skyfall twice already and am aware of it's content, language etc. I wouldn't take my 5 year old, if this wasn't the case though I would happily take her as she knows how to behave in the cinema, I don't hear a peep out of her as she gets so engrossed in the magic of it all, even in those saturday kiddy showings where ALL the kids aged from 0 - 10 are screaming and whining!