Little niggles

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Oromov deliberatly missing 006 is still the obvious explanation. In the real world he would have injured 006's hearing, but that's not an issue in James Bond movies.

Even plastic blanks ("rødfis" or "red farts" in Norwegian army parlance) can injure a person in close quarters, even though a shot to the back of the head would have been more painful than really dangerous.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    As Oromov shoots. One of the soldiers behind Alex
    Hops. Obviously that's where the bullet ends up
    Or Alex had the old Magnetic Rolex from LALD
    Which could deflect the path of a bullet ........ :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    As I recall Bond had got separated from Alec, then next thing, he saw Alec captured with a gun to his head.
    Probably the real Alec was hiding in the shadows, while his plastic surgery double, who'd been at the dam complex with the soviets all along, took the bullet.

Best explanation yet. Case closed. :) -{
    I bet MooreBond would never have been fooled by any of the rather obvious plot-twists in the Brosnan-era movies.

LOL
    I still think the whole operation looked complex, expensive, and almost as inefficient as the hearse/gondola assassination attempt in Moonraker.

Ah man, but it was so close to working. :) They managed to kill Bond's poor gondola driver and convince an old-timer to give up smoking. Overall, not a total failure.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
    Or Alex had the old Magnetic  Rolex from LALD
    Which could deflect  the path of a bullet ........

I would love to see Alec explain that magnetic watch idea to Bond right before he says "Closing time James"
    My current 10 favorite:

And as noted a few pages back, Bonds decision to accompany Elektra on the ski-hill was literally last minute.
    (I'm surprised the skis he grabbed even fit, he didn't stop to check them. Even LazenbyBond was smarter!)

Bond grabs the skis and is ready to go, but women take forever to get ready. ;) Let's be generous and say that it took Bond and Elektra around 2.5 hours before actually getting to the top of the mountain. In that time, Davidov calls Renard and that old guy and they hatch the parahawk plan. Maybe there is a nearby rental agency that was able to deliver them almost immediately. And of course they were meant to be returned. :))
    My current 10 favorite:

• Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    On Die Another Day, how could they not hear the roaring V12 from Bond's Vanquish while he was shadowing them in invisible mode while they were walking to the Ice Palace?
    A muffler, you may say but the V12's quite audible in the ice chase.
    Did Q branch create some sort of EV mode in 2002?
    That's not totally out of the question since the BMW Minis, famously in The Italian Job, were electric for the subway scenes back in 2003, a year after Die Another Day but it isn't explained in the film.
    a reasonable rate of return
    I'd say when it went Invisible it would also go Silent ? Q tends to
    think of these things ;) Leaving Bond as " Silent but Deadly " :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    In Skyfall, Bond only turned around to see that the train was going inside the mountain (and ducked because of it) because it sounded its horn.
    LTK:

Killifer takes a heck of a chance sending that van over the bridge. I'm surprised he wasn't seriously injured or killed when it hit the water.

Krest doesn't tell Sanchez about the Bond incident right away? Instead waits until confronted about it and by that point can't find any witnesses to back up his story.

Why doesn't Pam tell Bond sooner about her deal with Heller?

Moonraker:

The Oscar Wilde line is great, but it doesn't totally make sense to me. Drax is saying that the RAF lost two aircraft and therefor is careless? Considering the 747 and space shuttle were lost in the same single incident, I don't see how that quote would apply. Plus, of the two aircraft only the shuttle belonged to Drax so why would he be concerned about the 747?

How did Bond know Moonraker 5 was armed with a laser? That would have been a good line for Holly and give her more of a role in saving the day.

How did Jaws and Dolly escape with Colonel Scott? I got the impression Colonel Scott and his men already left by the time Jaws is helping Bond with Moonraker 5.
    My current 10 favorite:

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I have explanations for these:
    Firemass wrote:
    LTK:

Krest doesn't tell Sanchez about the Bond incident right away? Instead waits until confronted about it and by that point can't find any witnesses to back up his story.

Why doesn't Pam tell Bond sooner about her deal with Heller?

Moonraker:

The Oscar Wilde line is great, but it doesn't totally make sense to me. Drax is saying that the RAF lost two aircraft and therefor is careless? Considering the 747 and space shuttle were lost in the same single incident, I don't see how that quote would apply. Plus, of the two aircraft only the shuttle belonged to Drax so why would he be concerned about the 747?

How did Jaws and Dolly escape with Colonel Scott? I got the impression Colonel Scott and his men already left by the time Jaws is helping Bond with Moonraker 5.

Krest doesn't tell Sanchez about what happened because he fears he would be killed if Sanchez found out. Naturally, he tries to hide it.

Why should Pam tell Bond about her deal? He might not like it! Secrets are standard in this business.

Two aircraft were lost, simple as that. It means they can't be trusted, even if they lost one of their own.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    LTK: Krest doesn't tell Sanchez about the Bond incident right away? Instead waits until confronted about it and by that point can't find any witnesses to back up his story.
    Matt S wrote:
    Krest doesn't tell Sanchez about what happened because he fears he would be killed if Sanchez found out. Naturally, he tries to hide it.
    Krest certainly seems like a cowardly snivelling character in all his scenes, a shifty opportunist, a bit like Jon Lovitz's Liar character. One of the more unique henchmen in the series in that regard, and it's fitting he comes to such a disgusting end.
    I like the fact they pay tribute to one more Fleming story by including him and his boat. But The Hildebrandt Rarity was a more interesting story with lots of good bits remaining to be properly adapted. Including a completely different disgusting and well-deserved death for Milton Krest.
    I rewatched TLD and at the very start of the sniper sequence, it struck me just how forced Kara's introduction is.
    She's not even that hot to have Bond make a remark out of.
    Just my own personal niggle.
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:

They don't? Jaws and Dolly help free Moonraker 5, as they're the only people left on the space station. Bond even says, "don't worry they'll make it", as he's referring to that section of the space station crash landing on Earth. Col. Scott is told by Bond to leave before Bond does. It's never implied Jaws and Holly get away with Scott.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    It's clearly stated later:
    "Colonel Scott reports picking up two survivors, a tall man and a short blonde woman."
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    I've always interpreted "picking up" as in Jaws and Holly making a transmission to Col Scott from the remains of the space station. Thinking about that now though, unless Scott just presumed it was Jaws and Holly having seen them on the space station, there'd be no way for them to know what they looked like from a radio transmission.

Either way the line is stupid. Why would Scott and the person at mission control feel the need to specify what the survivors look like, except for making it clear to the audience that it's Jaws and Dolly. He might as well have said "Colonel Scott reports picking up two survivors (turns to camera) Yes it's Jaws and his girlfriend".
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
    It's just film shorthand. At the end of a film details are compressed- there's no time to go into detail like there is at the start. This isn't a Bond film trait, it happens in many movies.
    Compare to the ending of "North By Northwest" (a much-admired film), where director Hitchcock and writer Ernest Lehman wrap up the entire film in record time, giving a large amount of information in approximately one minute- hero Cary Grant rescues heroine Eva Marie Saint, they get married & presumably live happily ever after, villain James Mason is captured by authority figure Leo G. Carroll, henchman Martin Landau is killed: all within a few shots.
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Thunderball:

- A full on military underwater operation to get Largo's men and the bombs surely would result in commandeering the Disco Volante at the same time?
    - The two lane unpainted road opening to a four lane painted road in the car chase scene.
    - The cellar door not slamming on opening.
    - Felix wearing a hat in the coastguard chopper that doesn't get blown off when he sticks his head out the door.
    - Who didn't care for the film and let it get into such poor condition?
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    A Mr T. Young.
    Covered in gold jewellery shouting
    "I Pity the Fool ..... " at the crew :D
    :D

....that fool being a Mr P. Hunt, who had to piece together what Young had given him as best he could.
    Very true. Mr Hunt was a great editor. -{ ( and director)
    Very true. Mr Hunt was a great editor. -{ ( and director)
    You can say that again.
    Barbel wrote:
    :D

....that fool being a Mr P. Hunt, who had to piece together what Young had given him as best he could.

Is there some insight here into what happened?
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    Young left TB before the editing was completed, and Hunt had to make decisions beyond what an editor would normally be expected to make. There was insufficient footage for some scenes, and on occasion shots didn't match, eg:

AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg

Hunt can be heard talking about this on the commentary track or extras. He had to work with the material Young had shot, leading to several inconsistencies and pacing issues.
    Dr. No:

-Felix's sunglasses are rather umm feminine.

-The plan to stay and fight the dragon tank proved to not be the best decision by Bond. It kinda bugs me they didn't think of an actual way to destroy it.

Goldfinger:

-There's just no way Tilly would attempt that sniper shot with Bond standing right there. Let alone all the innocent kids around Goldfinger. Why not just walk right up to Goldfinger and shoot him? He didn't have a clue who she was.

-Bond decides to drive erratically while held at gunpoint and puts himself in jeopardy for like 5 seconds before actually using the ejector seat. It would have made more sense to eject the guy first and then make a move with the car.

-Adding additional security to Bond's jail cell is pointless if they would simply keep the door shut. Yet, ironically no guards are present when Bond is wandering around the ranch alone with Pussy Galore. Why didn't he just run over and jump the fence?

The Spy Who Loved Me:

-After all the amazing miniature work and special effects of the tanker sinking, they manage to screw up a relatively simple shot of Bond and Carter gazing out from the submarine. This shot looks worse than a third generation bootleg transfer.

-For all the hype of Anya being the female equivalent of Bond, she sure doesn't do much once they have joined forces.

-And when she does try to be helpful, Bond usually shuts her down by claiming he already knows. However, it wasn't until she mentioned the motorcycle did Bond actually start driving defensively.
    My current 10 favorite:

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    -Adding additional security to Bond's jail cell is pointless if they would simply keep the door shut. Yet, ironically no guards are present when Bond is wandering around the ranch alone with Pussy Galore. Why didn't he just run over and jump the fence?

Pussy Galore can take care of Bond herself, so no guards were necessary. Bond wouldn't run away because guards could easily go after him (but I'm sure Bond could get away). I think he wanted to stick around because he would have an easier time taking down Goldfinger if he's close by. If he ran off, Goldfinger would likely have changed his plan and then Bond wouldn't have had any clue to his new plan.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    Dr. No, Goldfinger, and The Spy Who Loved Me
    taking on the big ones! those are sacred cows, you know. I'm sure, by definition they are what a BondFilm is meant to be and everything else should aspire to their perfection, logic be damned.
    Firemass wrote:
    -For all the hype of Anya being the female equivalent of Bond, she sure doesn't do much once they have joined forces.
    This is a point. She uses a trick cigarette to gas him and that's about it. And I think she claims she stole the plans to the Lotus, in the past tense?
    I think her spy skills are a bit more in the sexy spy department. in Christopher Woods novelization, he tells us she has just completed a course in seduction and satisfaction techniques. so she's that sort of a spy.
    Really Holly Goodhead was written much better as a competent, non-objectified rival agent.

One scene I do like is the M's field HQ scene mid-film. Well, not the idea of M having a field HQ, with both Moneypenny and Q also working there, that all makes no sense. But the bit where Bond and Anya are both trying to show off to their bosses, how much they know, how clever they think they are, while they examine the microfilms. Because that's specifically MooreBond's thing, loudly demonstrating his book-learning to everybody's disgust. So here we get this clever variation where his Soviet counterpart also does the exact same thing, and M and Gogol are both vicariously enjoying the one-up-manship. probably the only scene where MooreBond tries to show off in front of M that I actually find amusing.
    Firemass wrote:
    -And when she does try to be helpful, Bond usually shuts her down by claiming he already knows. However, it wasn't until she mentioned the motorcycle did Bond actually start driving defensively.
    well that's because MooreBond has issues working with womenfolk as equals, he still does in the next film. (maybe he still remembers how "helpful" Goodnight was in the last film?)
    Firemass wrote:
    -Felix's sunglasses are rather umm feminine.

Funnily enough, they're trendy now. I think they look good on him and it's cool that an early 60s film has something so...hip?

"Better make that two."
    Really Holly Goodhead was written much better as a competent, non-objectified rival agent.

Agreed. Moonraker makes slight improvements on many levels.

On a sidenote, I like that Bond made no mention whatsoever of the name Dr. Goodhead. We have seen Bond elsewhere say "I must be dreaming" or "I thought Christmas only came once a year." However, it also makes me wonder why Holly even got stuck with that name instead of just being called Gala Brand.
    So here we get this clever variation where his Soviet counterpart also does the exact same thing, and M and Gogol are both vicariously enjoying the one-up-manship. probably the only scene where MooreBond tries to show off in front of M that I actually find amusing.

Agreed. I also quite enjoy this little scene, whereas I cringe during other scenes where Bond is a know-it-all in front of M. (Like knowing the chemical formula of a plant or saying "unusually small for a Nymphalis polychloris." )
    My current 10 favorite: