Little niggles

Comments

• MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    -Felix's sunglasses are rather umm feminine.

Thank you. In a film series where Sean Connery managed to make whatever that blue thing was he was wearing in Miami in GF look cool, there is no way on Earth anyone could ever make those sunglasses look cool.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    A couple more from my recent viewing of DAD that I forgot to mention earlier:

-Brosnan Bond on holiday in Cuba is just not hot enough to instantly attract a girl like Jinx for a passionate one night stand. He just seems like a kinda typical middle age tourist at that point.

-Jinx tells Bond that she's gonna go get backup. Who exactly would she be getting?

-Jinx deliberately steers the cargo plane into the path of Icarus. Bold move, but also really dumb. Why would she do this? To give her and Bond a tactical advantage over the last remaining badguys? When we see the plane burning and disintegrating that is all due to Jinx. Good job.

-Jinx gets captured like twice in a row. First in the laser room and then again in the ice palace. How would Oscar Wilde have put it? Carelessness.

-Why does M suddenly have a boss in the form of Falco?

-Does Aston Martin forbid their cars to show damage in the movie?

- Was Zao like completely out of ammo and that's the reason he decided to use his car as a battering ram?

- Why is Miranda wearing practically next-to-nothing when she confronts Jinx on the cargo plane? I'm not complaining, just curious. :007)
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    A minor niggle, but i watched YOLT, recently and i hate that shot where the camera zooms in on Bond's face, when Hans punches him. Looks really cartoonish.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    YOLT:

-Why try to kill Bond in the driveway of Osato Chemicals? Wouldn’t that reflect poorly on the company?

- Slightly redundant sequence of events visiting Osato Chemicals and then driving away with Aki twice in a row.

-What exactly is the helicopter doing that it requires so many trips in and out of the crater?

-Playing the 007 theme during entire aerial dogfight is pretty lazy.

-Why does Bond keep making analogies to Little Nellie being a human female? I don’t really find the parallel amusing.

- Repetition of orders in volcano is mildly annoying. “Open crater, opening crater, crater open” “Close crater, closing crater, crater closed” etc

-Blofeld leaves without his cat.
    My current 10 favorite:

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,306Chief of Staff
    Firemass wrote:

"007" is only played at the start of the Little Nellie sequence; the dogfight is scored with the "James Bond Theme" (and a pretty poor looped edit of it, not John Barry's doing).
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:

I quite like the 007 theme during this sequence, with a new arrangement for the theme's third appearance in the series. But using the James Bond Theme here is really lazy, and I don't know why Peter Hunt continued to do this. Why couldn't John Barry arrange the James Bond Theme especially for this like he would for the Moore films?
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Also, that cat's back in 'nam.
    qTk7em.gif
    What would Blofeld do with it?
    a reasonable rate of return
    Matt S wrote:
    Why couldn't John Barry arrange the James Bond Theme especially for this like he would for the Moore films?

He'd have happily done just that, but wasn't asked to ("If we'd discussed it... I could have used it there but it would most certainly have been orchestrated and treated in a totally different and more appropriate manner"). Peter Hunt chose to add the original recording of the Bond theme (chopped up and looped) at that point.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    -Brosnan Bond on holiday in Cuba is just not hot enough to instantly attract a girl like Jinx for a passionate one night stand. He just seems like a kinda typical middle age tourist at that point.
    Never seen this type of comment towards Brosnan before, usually its Craig whose deemed not "hot" enough to attract the women he does.
    Barbel wrote:
    Firemass wrote:

"007" is only played at the start of the Little Nellie sequence; the dogfight is scored with the "James Bond Theme" (and a pretty poor looped edit of it, not John Barry's doing).

Ah yes, that’s what I meant. It’s too bad the Little Nellie sequence didn’t just stick with the 007 theme. I’m thinking of how awesome it sounded during the Moonraker boat chase. And why haven’t we heard it since then?

Honestly, until now I didn’t know that piece of music was titled the “007 theme”
    I think I’ve heard it referred to as “007’s battle music”
    My current 10 favorite:

Here's a bit I wrote on the subject some years ago:
    Barbel wrote:
    JAMES BOND THEME- the one everyone knows, as heard during gunbarrel and introduced in DN.

007 - Gypsy camp fight in FRWL, underwater battle in TB, Little Nellie takes off in YOLT, oil rig battle in DAF, boat chase in MR... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j0DE8akL1c

There's also a tune called "The James Bond Theme" (note the subtle difference) on the Dr No OST, but like most of that album it's not in the film. This uses the same melody as a few other tracks on the album (eg "Twisting With James") and Monty Norman has stated that it was titled by the publisher, not him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Riry9oZPeio (wrongly titled)

"007" has sometimes been called "007 Theme" on certain releases, but that's not accurate. As to why we haven't heard it since, I suppose it's because royalties would have to be paid to John Barry's estate (though he could have used it himself in the later films he scored, but didn't).
    AVTAK: The French taxi driver repeating over and over in English, “Oh my car Oh”

Just the fact they felt the need to translate this simple phrase into English strikes me as odd.

Compare to the far superior scene in Octopussy where Bond borrows the Alfa Romero from the German lady.

However, when it comes to riding in the back of a car with M, I have to say AVTAK does a superb job of showing Bond all flustered and full of emotion. Whereas in OP he is much more reserved and vague.
    My current 10 favorite:

Firemass wrote:
    Never seen this type of comment towards Brosnan before, usually its Craig whose deemed not "hot" enough to attract the women he does.
    I think DAD overestimated Brosnan's attractiveness as a whole, the car-drag-kiss and "affair' with Frost doesn't hold up at all considering Brosnan. Had it been Craig, it'd've been a different story.
    Brosnan was suave, sure, but not "hot" like Craig.
    Had it been Craig, it'd've been a different story.

Yeah, I could see Craig Bond emerging from the water in his swim trunks and Jinx taking notice.

I would rather see Jinx turn down Bond at this point in the film and require Pierce to win her over later. Also, we would be spared their passionate and overlong love scene.

Maybe having Miranda already being cold towards Bond was as much as the male ego could take.
    My current 10 favorite:

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,942MI6 Agent
    I find all of Die Another Day has this highly artificial, ritualised tone way beyond the fantasy level of any of the other movies. It's at this point in the plot our hero usually picks up a chick, and thus Jinx enters. They play it exactly like they're acting out some ancient time-honoured ceremony. I don't find it particularly less believable than any other aspect of the story.

Well maybe the bit where he enters the hotel looking like a homeless person and the owner immediately recognises him and offers him his usual room. That bit rang true. But only that bit.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    I think DAD overestimated Brosnan's attractiveness as a whole, the car-drag-kiss and "affair' with Frost doesn't hold up at all considering Brosnan. Had it been Craig, it'd've been a different story.

Mrs Zaphod begs to differ...phrases include and I quote " what! That nuckle-dragging bruser against the tall, dark and handsome, suave and refined Brosnan? You must be joking". # takes all sorts/not a fan
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    zaphod99 wrote:

Mrs Zaphod begs to differ...phrases include and I quote " what! That nuckle-dragging bruser against the tall, dark and handsome, suave and refined Brosnan? You must be joking". # takes all sorts/not a fan
    Personal opinion, naturally.
    :D :s :v ;%
    zaphod99 wrote:

Bride of Barbel agrees with Mrs Zaphod: should Mr Brosnan ever be within her radius I'd be given a sharp elbow- but I need have no fear of Mr Craig.

(Off-topic and mentioned before: The Bride is German, and had only seen Bond films in their dubbed form before meeting me. In Germany, Sean Connery was dubbed with an actor who had a light polite voice. On meeting and later marrying me she came across Sir Sean's natural voice (in no uncertain manner, obviously, given how often I watch the films). Her comment was.... "Oh. I see..." :x :x :x )
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:

Very personal and strongly held. One of the first points of connection was that she was the only girl I had met who had read all the Novels. Dalton is her favourite Bond but Connery " is the sexiest"
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    FRWL:

-When describing the lektor, Tania’s accent seems to change and she is harder to understand. Also, while her close up looks great, the close up of Sean looks bootleg quality.

-Tania played a very minor role in delivering the lektor. If the British wanted one so badly all they had to do was blow up the Russian embassy and steal it. Even Tania’s hand-drawn plans were useless compared to Karim’s blueprints.

- Despite a heavy amount of secrecy meeting in the mosque, the plans that Tania sets down were reached by two enemy agents before Bond got there.

- On the train, knocking 3 times is not a very secret or unique knock.

- Red Grant almost failed his mission before the fight even broke out. Bond suspected him and held him at gunpoint. Grant still managed to talk his way out of it, but still hardly a fool proof plan.

- Bond could easily have had another pistol in his suitcase and shot Grant thru the lid. Just sayin that was a major gamble on Grant’s part.
    My current 10 favorite:

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,942MI6 Agent
    Weren't M and Bond mostly interested in deliberately springing the trap, as the only way to learn what the real evil plot was?
    Getting the Lektor was just a bonus.
    It didn't matter that Tatiana's plan as presented was amateurish or inefficient, Bond's real interest was more of a "hold on, I want to see where she's going with this" kind of thing.
    Weren't M and Bond mostly interested in deliberately springing the trap, as the only way to learn what the real evil plot was?
    Getting the Lektor was just a bonus.
    It didn't matter that Tatiana's plan as presented was amateurish or inefficient, Bond's real interest was more of a "hold on, I want to see where she's going with this" kind of thing.

Quite right.
    zaphod99 wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:

Very personal and strongly held. One of the first points of connection was that she was the only girl I had met who had read all the Novels. Dalton is her favourite Bond but Connery " is the sexiest"
    I was talking about me but...she's definitely a keeper.
    In The Spy Who Loved Me, after it's made apparent that the motorcycle has been following them, Bond downshifts from 4th into 3rd by double-clutching (evident from the sound of the car).
    What Bond actually does is, instead of putting it into neutral before plopping it into 3rd he just casually downshifts into 3rd, not matching the audio of the film like in Bullitt.
    Still, that S1 sounds great.
    I was rewatching Golden Gun and I just noticed that the assassin is taken to the island by boat.
    Why did Bond have to fly low on the radar to get there? Was it because he wasn't close to the island or because he needed a swift way out?
    Screen_Shot_2018_05_06_at_20_08_06.png
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think Bond had to get there quickly.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    For such a drab looking film that's a great looking shot.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    For such a drab looking film that's a great looking shot.
    And it was only on screen for 3 seconds (!)

Why couldn't the rest of the film look this good? It arguably has one of the most exotic locations featured in a Bond film. Just not filmed as such.
    well there were some equally fine shots of Scramanga's island, and the surrounding group of islands, later on.
    M's field headquarters on the halfsunken ocean liner was another mighty good visual.

re the niggle, the hitman was hired to come to the island. Can't remember if Scaramanga knew, or if NickNack would just surprise him by bringing these suckers in for occasional target-practice. But there was plenty of time for him to arrive by whatever means he chose, why not by boat? more relaxing and probably cheaper. (Scaramanga didn't seem to have a very hectic schedule either, he could just sit round the beach until the next million dollar contract came in, and probably got bored).
    Bond on the other hand had some pressing deadlines (ladyfriend, Solex), no time for him to take the scenic route.

I think the quality of the recent niggles is going down. That wasn't a very good niggle, and I'm sure the previous niggle about Tatiana's plan to steal the Lektor has been dealt with before. Perhaps we have finally resolved every last plot-hole in the 24 Bond films?
    well there were some equally fine shots of Scramanga's island, and the surrounding group of islands, later on.
    M's field headquarters on the halfsunken ocean liner was another mighty good visual.

re the niggle, the hitman was hired to come to the island. Can't remember if Scaramanga knew, or if NickNack would just surprise him by bringing these suckers in for occasional target-practice. But there was plenty of time for him to arrive by whatever means he chose, why not by boat? more relaxing and probably cheaper. (Scaramanga didn't seem to have a very hectic schedule either, he could just sit round the beach until the next million dollar contract came in, and probably got bored).
    Bond on the other hand had some pressing deadlines (ladyfriend, Solex), no time for him to take the scenic route.

I think the quality of the recent niggles is going down. That wasn't a very good niggle, and I'm sure the previous niggle about Tatiana's plan to steal the Lektor has been dealt with before. Perhaps we have finally resolved every last plot-hole in the 24 Bond films?

The colours in TMWTGG are dull, and that's why it doesn't look as impressive as it could. It needs more contrast and more saturated colours.

I wonder if the point of the seaplane was so he could have a quick getaway. A speedboat wouldn't be as fast.