Little niggles

Comments

• BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Unfortunately, the shark completed his final role as "Shark #4" in Sharknado 2 before he succumbed to a severe case of food poisoning. It seems that something he ate disagreed with him!
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    That's JAWS for Thought :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Q must have been tearing his Hair out at Bond for loosing so many Walther's :))

This would be the only thing keeping Walther in business if Bond was the only man using their handguns. :))
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    A few more from YOLT:

*Connery seems overly-upset that he can't sleep with his decoy wife right away. So much so that he literally can't even eat or sleep. Considering Aki was just killed like the night before, this seems in poor taste.

*Q's scene with Little Nellie is very business-like with no humor. (although Q looks funny in shorts)

*What good did the Japanese disguise do for Bond? There were no Spectre agents in that small fishing village.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I hate the fake maggots in LTK X-( they look like white pasta.
    Surely they could have got some more realistic ones ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Well, someone needs to hide there Gear somehow :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    edited August 2014
    This one has bothered me for awhile. We all know and love that Bond uses a Walther PPK (nevermind that he switches to the P99 for awhile in the Brosno era). In fact, it is such a widely known piece of information that the criminal world is aware of it as well. In YOLT, Blofeld tells Osato "only one man we know uses this sort of gun," and in GE Zukovsky has the great "only three men I know use this gun and I've killed two of them" line.

This triggers (pun not intended, but certainly enjoyed) two "niggles."

1. When Bond gets the Walther in DN, M says that all the 00's have been using them since he took over MI7 (yeah, he says that, but that's for someone else to fret over), and he says something to the effect that "the Americans have been using them to great success for years." This implies that it is the sidearm of choice for all sorts of British and American secret agents, which directly contradicts the notion that Bond is easily identifiable by the gun. Ok, you can make a case that by GE everyone else had phased it out and he was the only one left still using his trusty Walter PPK, but that assumes a lot and certainly doesn't apply to YOLT which only occurs a few years after DN.

2. If you ignore the DN dialogue and assume that Bond is the *only* agent with a Walther PPK, that is a TERRIBLE decision for an agent! M and Q would never allow it! It basically leaves Bond's, and by extension MI6's, fingerprint anywhere he shoots his gun. You'd think the logical move would be for him to have the most widely sold generic (while reliable) side arm on the market.

ALWAYS hated how they make such a huge deal out of the PPK in the films. In the novels it was issued to him only because it was considered to give him better firepower and still be concealable. Also, it had been used in WWII by the Gestapo and intel agenices all over for those very reasons (and also the ammunition was common). Then the films come along and because no other fictional characters are using it they decide Bond is the ONLY agent who uses it! Wait, no, then there's a FEW others in the world....no, wait...

It's like the damn vodka martini. Bond drank more other types of drinks than martinis, but they made it his iconic drink in the films as they made the Walter his iconic pistol and his clothing of choice a tux. Sort of like the way Santa Claus is portrayed in his red costume. It was actually designed by an illustrator for Coca Cola to match their trademark (red/white) for their ads. Nothing to do with the original mythology.
    At the start of GF Bond squeezes some "plastic explosives" out of a tube
    Then pushes in a timer detonator. Apart from showing the audience, surely
    He could have just placed the tube/belt of explosives on to the tanks ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Apparently getting sucked out of a Plane due to Decompression rarely happens -{
    I used to work in a pharmaceutical
    Company and in some labs the air pressure was kept lower than outside.
    So if there was a leak, air would flow into the lab and not out. :D
    ( hence how I got my super powers ) :))
    'Senile Man'
    :)) :)) :))
    " Is it bird, is it a plane .. er, What was I talking about ?"
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I used to work in a pharmaceutical
    Company and in some labs the air pressure was kept lower than outside.
    So if there was a leak, air would flow into the lab and not out. :D
    ( hence how I got my super powers ) :))

ahh, I can see why you like moonraker so much :))
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    I'm always picking up tips, so when I make my move to Take over the World.
    I'll not muck it up like Blofeld,Stromberg or Drax. :))
    Have always thought this, but Blofeld in DAF is always pulling a Face like someone has broken Wind around him :))
  • thenoisydrumthenoisydrum Posts: 84MI6 Agent
    I was flicking through the box last night and DAF was on. It was the scene with Bambi and Thumper. God almighty, it was just dreadful. I used to really enjoy that film as a kid, it was one of my favourites. I remember once arriving back from our family holiday in the Algarve and barely 5 minutes after we got home I was watching Bond, DAF to be precise. Anyway, my little niggle is the end of that scene when they chuck Bond into the pool.
    Why is it not Connery? And why is it not the same actress that played Thumper? It's a stand in with a really stupid wig on! We then see both Connery and Thumper in the water so there was clearly no issue with the scene....
    Also the groan that Bond makes when they chuck him is just stupid - I dont think it is Connery.
    I was flicking through the box last night and DAF was on. It was the scene with Bambi and Thumper. God almighty, it was just dreadful. I used to really enjoy that film as a kid, it was one of my favourites. I remember once arriving back from our family holiday in the Algarve and barely 5 minutes after we got home I was watching Bond, DAF to be precise. Anyway, my little niggle is the end of that scene when they chuck Bond into the pool.
    Why is it not Connery? And why is it not the same actress that played Thumper? It's a stand in with a really stupid wig on! We then see both Connery and Thumper in the water so there was clearly no issue with the scene....
    Also the groan that Bond makes when they chuck him is just stupid - I dont think it is Connery.

I agree that is a terrible scene in a movie I generally enjoy. The two women are terrible actresses and the ease with which Connery holds them both under the water at the end of the scene pretty much negates any notion that they ever posed a real threat.
    The thing that always annoyed me about that scene is there is a broken
    Glass table and Thumper is running about with no shoes on ! :# that's
    Just an accident waiting to happen.
    And the Car's Driver never notices Bond climb into the back of the Van? Where did Bond get the Security Pass from anyway? ?:)
    The thing that always annoyed me about that scene is there is a broken
    Glass table and Thumper is running about with no shoes on ! :# that's
    Just an accident waiting to happen.

And yet you are okay with Bond hanging around with wet clothes on after the dunk in the pool? One can catch a terrible head cold that way! :))
    ...... and why do the astronauts ( on Earth) move in slow motion ? :))
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    In Moonraker in the PTS when M asks where Bond is, Why does Lois Maxwell speak with a British accent? She reverts back to a Canadian accent in the rest of the film.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • TecoloteTecolote Mississippi,USAPosts: 121MI6 Agent
    Like CmdrAtticus. it strains my credulity that all the these villians bother to keep Bond alive,with the worst being Goldfinger(both film and novel).also in GF, during the car chase, Bond stops the car,supposedly with an armor plate to ward off the badguys' bullets then he gets out and tell Tilly to run from the safest place, and once Oddjob kills her, suddenly all the fight is gone out of him.He could've just turned the DB5 around in the first place around and blazed away with those machine guns at the oncoming Koreans.
    Speaking of which, in Skyfall, if he's got a DB5 stored away with working, and loaded wing machine guns, where's all the rest of the weaponry and gear
    that should be in there? Instead, all he's got is the PPK and two spare mags...

Regards,

Tecolote
    'Do you think we should check that Bond is dead first before continuing the Plan?'
    :)) Although there are a few times if I'd been a villain I too would
    Have assumed Bond was dead. I certainly wouldn't expect expect
    Him to get out off my crocodile filled pond. :))
    I'd have happily walked off laughing. ;)
    Zorin and his Gang were the only ones to wait around and see if Bond had died :))
    Well, Zorin was a genius at Intuitive improvisation . ;)
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    edited September 2014
    A niggle with OHMSS... When Tracy is chatting with a girl who appears to be her father's girlfriend about how difficult it is to get to know Bond, her own love interest, she's told by the girl, who's about her own age, that "it would be interesting to attend night school, perhaps". The thought that this girl may be signalling an interest of her own in sleeping with the boyfriend of her boyfriend's daughter always creeps me out a bit!
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    Maybe she was hinting at a threesome ? :D
    I wonder if Nic Nak was sent to Prison?