The sad demise of a sex slave

124»

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I don't think the line is delivered as you say...
    *mock petulant voice*
    Go ahead & side with Thunderpussy, see if I care.
    :))
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,558Chief of Staff
    chrisisall wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I don't think the line is delivered as you say...
    *mock petulant voice*
    Go ahead & side with Thunderpussy, see if I care.

I think you'll find that HE sided with ME :007)

YNWA 97
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I don't think I sided with anyone but I'll hold the coats if a fight starts. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Hey- was Severine maybe all-out evil?
    I don't think I sided with anyone but I'll hold the coats if a fight starts. :))

What...so you have the wallets out of them ? :D
    YNWA 97
    These Bond collections have to be paid for. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:
    zaphod wrote:

like me you are failing to appreciate the myriad and unparalleled subtleties of his performance. Perhaps we should attend night school until we attain the required standard and atone for past misdeeds :007) Just in case the ' Danielsisagodbestbondever' contingent think this is a dig at him it is not. For me the scene is problematic. As others have noted we don't know what is on the cutting room floor that might improve it. That however is besides the point. We can only judge on what we see in the released version, and with EON being so miserly with unseen and extra footage we'll probably never know.
    Haha, I'm a fan of Craig's Bond, but I thought he delivered this line in the movie wrong. The fact that the "cavalry" arrive moments later -- meaning she might have lived if things had been stalled a bit more -- makes the scene particularly tragic . . . with the exception of the delivery of that line, which to me made Bond seem truly cold and indifferent to her death. It dehumanized Bond further rather than made him the flawed hero.

There is no line reading that would make that line not seem cold-hearted. It's a simply cold-hearted line.

Something like, "Is that supposed to impress me?" might have been better.
    Not sure I agree. A good actor can put a spin on a line many ways -- watch Lawrence Olivier in the torture scene in "Marathon Man," for instance. Craig could have said the line any number of ways other than as though he was actually talking about the Scotch.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Haha, I'm a fan of Craig's Bond, but I thought he delivered this line in the movie wrong. The fact that the "cavalry" arrive moments later -- meaning she might have lived if things had been stalled a bit more -- makes the scene particularly tragic . . . with the exception of the delivery of that line, which to me made Bond seem truly cold and indifferent to her death. It dehumanized Bond further rather than made him the flawed hero.

There is no line reading that would make that line not seem cold-hearted. It's a simply cold-hearted line.

Something like, "Is that supposed to impress me?" might have been better.
    Not sure I agree. A good actor can put a spin on a line many ways -- watch Lawrence Olivier in the torture scene in "Marathon Man," for instance. Craig could have said the line any number of ways other than as though he was actually talking about the Scotch.

I never got the impression from Craig's line reading that he was really only talking about the scotch. Perhaps other actors would have said the line differently, but it definitely came across to me as Bond deliberately trying to maintain control and not let Silva think he was rattled.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    it definitely came across to me as Bond deliberately trying to maintain control and not let Silva think he was rattled.
    AND, because he really didn't care since Severine was a player...
    ?
    chrisisall wrote:
    it definitely came across to me as Bond deliberately trying to maintain control and not let Silva think he was rattled.
    AND, because he really didn't care since Severine was a player...
    ?

Perhaps, but not so callous that he really cared more about the scotch than he did about Severine.
    Blackleiter and I seem to be in total agreement as to the meaning of the whole scene...and if someone as erudite as he thinks the same as I, then I'm happy -{
    YNWA 97
    In TMWTGG, When Bond pushes the little boy fron the boat, Now that was callous. :))
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Oh, I can go with the idea that Bond is doing the line to throw Silva off. Yet for all that we see no real tension in Craig's impassive face as he prepares to shoot, no distaste or inner turmoil or anything, compared with say how Richard Burton, a similar actor, would have registered.

That and the inane triumphant brass when the CGI'd helicopters arrive, taking a break from shooting an early Oasis' video.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Blackleiter and I seem to be in total agreement as to the meaning of the whole scene...and if someone as erudite as he thinks the same as I, then I'm happy -{

Uh oh! Brace yourself for the barbs and arrows that will surely be coming our way now! :o
    Sir Miles wrote:

Uh oh! Brace yourself for the barbs and arrows that will surely be coming our way now! :o

It's fine...I did wonder if it were only I that could see the inner turmoil that DC displays in that scene - and I couldn't disagree more with Nap's post above...its all there... -{
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

It's fine...I did wonder if it were only I that could see the inner turmoil that DC displays in that scene - and I couldn't disagree more with Nap's post above...its all there... -{

Nope, you're not the only one. I detected it the first time I saw SF and my opinion hasn't changed after repeated viewings.
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    Watched this scene many times now. Still sticking to my view that Craig's line about the drink was said only to make Silva and his men believe he had no feelings about her and to let their guard down just enough to make his attack even more of a surprise. Also, though he was certainly disgusted by her cold blooded murder, I'm convinced he knew she was a complicitous villain and so was not so much shocked by her death as much as how it was done.

I was more put off by the helicopters arrival than her death...because it followed directly on her killing - which was realistic and brutal, then we are suddenly supposed to cheer with the cavalry arrival and Bond's fanfare? They should have at least had Silva escape in the fight scene..perhaps showing him heading for a pre-planned sea escape route only to be then cornered by Bond and the helicopters. I could have handled that fanfare a little better by then.
    ^This.
    Watched this scene many times now. Still sticking to my view that Craig's line about the drink was said only to make Silva and his men believe he had no feelings about her and to let their guard down just enough to make his attack even more of a surprise. Also, though he was certainly disgusted by her cold blooded murder, I'm convinced he knew she was a complicitous villain and so was not so much shocked by her death as much as how it was done.

I was more put off by the helicopters arrival than her death...because it followed directly on her killing - which was realistic and brutal, then we are suddenly supposed to cheer with the cavalry arrival and Bond's fanfare? They should have at least had Silva escape in the fight scene..perhaps showing him heading for a pre-planned sea escape route only to be then cornered by Bond and the helicopters. I could have handled that fanfare a little better by then.

Good point! -{
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,294Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Blackleiter and I seem to be in total agreement

Wait till he tells you he doesn't like Another Way To Die .... :D
    Barbel wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Blackleiter and I seem to be in total agreement

Wait till he tells you he doesn't like Another Way To Die .... :D

Yea well, nobody is perfect :))

Except me :007)
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Yea well, nobody is perfect :))

Except me :007)

I thought only Nomad was perfect...