What if Dalton had taken over from FYEO onwards?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think it's a little unfair to call Bondtoys arrogant, megalomaniacal ...... Possibly. :)) :p
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    I seem to be the only one to widthstand the storm and be the voice of the silent majority and reason may I add

Can anyone Scream Arrogance? :))

I call it unflappable conviction! Nothing wrong with that! :)) (e.g. See my frequently stated dogma that Connery IS Bond!)
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I think it's a little unfair to call Bondtoys arrogant, megalomaniacal ...... Possibly. :)) :p

Hey, I have been called magoifan and everyone takes offense on "arrogant"
    What's wrong with you guys :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Bondtoys wrote:

Hey, I have been called magoifan and everyone takes offense on "arrogant"
    What's wrong with you guys :D

In my case it's because I don't even know what magoifan means! :))
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    It's all friendly Banter :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Magoifan - that's where I draw the line!

That's what i am hearing from my wife several times during a normal day ;)

It translates from 'troublemaker' over 'complicated' to 'stupid' - depending on the context :D

Bondtoys wrote:

That's what i am hearing from my wife several times during a normal day ;)

It translates from 'troublemaker' over 'complicated' to 'stupid' - depending on the context :D

Well in that case, the word "magoifan" should in no way be used in a discussion about you and your opinions! "Wrong", perhaps, but not "magoifan"! :))
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Suddenly, I feel like watching TLD...
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    I for one wouldn't use the word " complicated "in relation to Bondtoys. ;) :p
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited May 2014
    Hey!

I got that! :v

No, for the word I would use is Smuggly Snooky poos. :))
    No, for the word I would use is Smuggly Snooky poos. :))
    Priceless.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,330Chief of Staff
    Now, let me say upfront that I liked Dalton. The first time I saw TLD (at it's Scottish premiere) I was thrilled by his interpretation of Bond, which I saw as more faithful than Moore's. I couldn't wait for LTK, then was disappointed when I finally saw it though not with Dalton in the part (I grew to like it more later).
    BT's economic argument is sound and logical (yes, I said logical). I disagree with him artistically but commercially he does have a point. However, it has to be said that Dalton's films came at the end of the (arguable in a different thread*) second era of Bond- LTK was the last film made by Broccoli, Maibaum, and Binder, the last Bond for Glen, TLD the last Bond for Barry, etc. When Brosnan debuted in GE there was nearly a whole new team + max hype. It's unfair to blame/credit the leading actor for a lot of factors outwith his remit.

* I'm not wanting to open a debate on that here but briefly I'd say that the first era ended with TMWTGG (no more Saltzman, hello Wilson). Worth an individual thread.
    Barbel wrote:
    BT's economic argument is sound and logical (yes, I said logical). I disagree with him artistically but commercially he does have a point.
    My point of contention with his belief system is what if Bond films never make more than five times their production and advertising budget? Would that be a reason to stop making them? Because they're only exceptionally profitable, not INSANELY profitable? Because they're not making progressively more each time? I just don't understand how that makes sense. Can YOU explain it to me, sir? ?:)
    Of course they do not have to make more than 5X their budget. http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/James-Bond http://007.lucklaboratories.com/
    Of course they do not have to make progressively more each time. The studios behind the Bond films (UA, MGM, etc) have always had financial considerations outwith the franchise and see Bond as a guaranteed moneymaker- no 007 movie loses money ever, although some make more than others.
    BT's point is that the Dalton films were in the main not as financially lucrative as the Moores before them or the Brosnans after them (correct me if I'm wrong, Markus) and that is undeniable.
    Barbel wrote:
    BT's point is that the Dalton films were in the main not as financially lucrative as the Moores before them or the Brosnans after them (correct me if I'm wrong, Markus) and that is undeniable.
    *raises hand* Ummm, denying here. TLD made more than AVTAK. :D
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Regardless of what a lot of People (Mainly Critics) think, the two Dalton Films will always be in my List of Top Seven all Time Bond Flicks -{

What is your top 7?
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
    Firemass wrote:
    What is your top 7?
    Can't resist a list request (even one not aimed at me):

TLD
    LTK
    TND
    GE
    TB
    DN
    YOLT
    edited May 2014
    Barbel wrote:

Thanks Barbel for trying to bring some realism into the discussion.

My main point is still ignored:
    Like it or not - franchises are outlined to grow!
    Starbucks - Louis Vuitton - Mercedes Benz - Star Wars - you name them.
    Their main key (sometimes more important than to be profitable AT ALL) is to grow and gain marketshare. Particularly when your main competitor grows larger than yourself!

The cost/gross ratio may be an interesting detail but the main focus is on growth of total profits and marketshare!

And the Bond franchise is nothing different though I am aware that the EON people always had a focus on making nice movies too.

Some general remarks:

IMO the Fleming DNA is highly overrated. He's overrated imo!

He wrote nice novels - OHMSS and CR are great novels and I genuinely like TSWLM also.
    But TMWTGG DAF and LALD for example are plain boring to me and I had difficulties to wade thru.

If we are talking about the cinematic Bond, I have no problem with a grittier approach in general and even going back to Fleming is welcomed for me, if it's so faithful like in OHMSS and CR.

My problem is not Dalton's grittier approach - it's the execution of that idea and therfore I blame the main actor who never convinces me with his screenplay - no matter what he's doing (popping balloon anyone?)

One additional thought - it may be unpopular.
    IMO the critics on Moore's movies is really unfair!

First of all he showed that he could switch to serious stuff in a minute (in every of his movies).
    Many parts of the silly stuff had to be done in the 70s and 80s and these are parts of the success of his movies.

But mainly we all should be grateful that his area brought so much cash to the producers so that Bond survived the 80s and we could get the brilliant (sans QoS) Craig movies.

I am pretty sure that with almost every alternative main actor, the franchise would have died in the 80s and/or the producers would have lost interest in it.

Bondtoys wrote:
    The cost/gross ratio may be an interesting detail but the main focus is on growth of total profits and marketshare!
    It's nice to know that my country doesn't have corner on dopey simplistic Capitalism & the short term investment return mentality.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    *raises hand* Ummm, denying here. TLD made more than AVTAK. :D

...which is why I said "in the main".
    Barbel wrote:
    ...which is why I said "in the main".
    Sorry, I missed that (bein' a Yank). :))
    Bondtoys wrote:
    First of all he showed that he could switch to serious stuff in a minute (in every of his movies).

And to me Moore is just as unconvincing doing the "serious stuff" as Dalton is to you in general. See, once again opinions are all over the place about what (or who) makes a good Bond. Let's just all say that Connery nailed it and everyone else comes up short on some level. See how simple that is? After all, I am a "Problem Eliminator"! You can all thank me later. :D
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Are we still rowing about this? 8-)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Let's just all say that Connery nailed it and everyone else comes up short on some level

No problem. Connery nailed it and everyone else comes up short on some level. Who's next?

(Though I thought it was Number 24 who had the problem with Craig's height....)
    Let's just all say that Connery nailed it and everyone else comes up short on some level. See how simple that is? After all, I am a "Problem Eliminator"! You can all thank me later. :D
    Thank you. -{

Here's my metaphorical ratings:

Connery: Nailed it.
    Lazenby: Tacked it.
    Moore: Velcro-ed it.
    Dalton: Hot glued it.
    Brosnan: Cut & pasted it.
    Craig: Screwed it (not up; in).
    chrisisall wrote:
    Let's just all say that Connery nailed it and everyone else comes up short on some level. See how simple that is? After all, I am a "Problem Eliminator"! You can all thank me later. :D
    Thank you. -{

Here's my metaphorical ratings:

Connery: Nailed it.
    Lazenby: Tacked it.
    Moore: Velcro-ed it.
    Dalton: Hot glued it.
    Brosnan: Cut & pasted it.
    Craig: Screwed it (not up; in).

Nicely done! :))