Chiwetel Ejiofor next Bond Villain?

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    8-)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:

My youngest son, who is African-American (like me!), has been living in Japan for more than a decade and he has experienced some racism, to be sure, but not quite as much as he expected. Still, although he speaks Japanese fluently and is married to a Japanese woman, it has been pretty challenging for him living there (although not quite so challenging that my wife and I can convince him to move back to the U.S.!) :(
    A student a few years ago told me that she was afraid to travel alone in Europe, since she was African American and concerned about encountering prejudice. She said she was both stunned and appalled that she faced far less there than she did in her own country. I've heard similar things. It seems everyone can be prejudiced, but there is something unique about our brand.

BTW, you've probably heard of this, but this was a popular if controversial stereotype in Japan courtesy of McDonalds from a decade or so ago: http://www.debito.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/mcdonaldsmrjames001.jpg.

Unfortunately I think you are correct, Gassy. Something about racism as practiced in America seems particularly pernicious, especially when you consider how far we've come. And yes, I have heard about the McDonald's controversy in Japan, among several others. Talk about having a long way to go! :#
    We struggle, and then every generation has to learn the same issues.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    It sad to learn that about Japan. I've always admired two countries
    as I think they are run correctly, or rather as how I would like to live
    and they were Japan and Germany. I still think Britain could learn
    much from them and perhaps we could show how much better a
    tolerant and equal society can be.
    I don't know about Germany, but Japan is notorious for being xenophobic. Ask a Korean or Chinese how receptive the Japanese can be, for instance. They seem more tolerant of western people, at least as a society. Now, having said that, of course, I will point out not all Japanese share the same ideology, as in any country, and I have a good friend who is originally from the West Indies who is a popular jazz singer and voice artist there. People are as much individuals as they are members of a culture.
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    I think I mentioned it before on the James Bond Literature forum. But when I impictured mister Big while reading the Live and Let Die novel it wasn't someone that looked like Yaphet kotto, it was more or less a version that looked more like Barry Shabaka Henley. I don't know why my brian decided to impicture him. But he might make a descent Bond villian come to think of it.

barry.jpg
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    Jag wrote:
    Paperbill wrote:
    Speak for yourself, I don't want a Idris as Bond! :)

And why not??? 8-)

Let's not go there...read the other posts on the subject somewhere on the forum and I'm sure you'll find the answer.

Just because there is a discussion somewhere doesn't mean there is a good answer. I mean, if Daniel Craig can play Bond, then just about anyone can. And someone like Elba would make a perfect Bond.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Yes he is a great actor but as he's almost 50. He's sadly a little
    Old to play Bond now.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Charles Grey was not exactly in his Youth when he played Blofeld -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • james362001james362001 Lancaster, California USAPosts: 338MI6 Agent
    I wouldn't mind Chiwetel Ejiofor as a villain. The clips I have seen of him in 12 Years A Slave (2013) got my attention. I don't think their has been a black villain(s) since Live and Let Die (1973). I wonder if they will call the villain, "Kananga Obama"?
    My first choice as villain would be Jean Dujardin.
    AlphaOmegaSin wrote :
    " Charles Gray was not exactly in his Youth when he played Blofeld -{ "

True but I thought the question was about Mr Elba playing Bond.
    I think he could, no problem. He's just a little to old now. ;)

I don't like the term " in his youth " it brings back too many bad thoughts
    of 70's TV stars. :)) :p
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 632MI6 Agent
    I would love to see Chiwetel Ejiofor and
    Idris Elba in any Bond film.
    What makes you think this is my first time?
    I want to see Bond go up against more Younger Villains, they can put up more of a Fight then an older, more slower Person.
    I always guess in the older films that was the henchman's job, as the
    Villain was the brains, while the younger henchman was the brawn Bond
    had to fight.
    Although I do agree I prefer to have a villain who is " almost " Bond's equal
    In the physical side. For instance I love the fight in GoldenEye between
    Bond and Trevelyan both men trying to knock the sh1t out of each other. -{
    Great Stuff. {[]
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    The Independent reported that when they recently asked Chiwetel Ejiofor about the Bond rumours he gave a steely "I don’t want to talk about that." When the reporter followed-up by asking him if he has a favourite Bond villain, he replied "I can’t talk about that." Hmm, you'd think that if there was absolutely no truth to it that he wouldn't be doing the steely-gaze 'no comment' thing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/chiwetel-ejiofor-interview-im-still-not-sure-i-feel-like-a-movie-star-9254630.html?origin=internalSearch
    :D Interesting responces to the questions.
    Maybe he cant divulge any Details or he really hates the Bond Franchise :))
    Maybe he's more a man from uncle guy ? :))
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Maybe he just doesn't like to answer questions from the Independent?
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    Equally it could be he doesn't want to jinx his chances of getting the role.

Apologies by the way for mentioning "Jinx" in the context of a Bond forum - it won't happen again.
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • JuraquagmireJuraquagmire CanadaPosts: 49MI6 Agent
    Chiwetel Ejiofor? I hope not.
    Dalton is the Bond! Lazenby is the other fella.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent

Why? Surely you have a reason that you wouldn't want to see Mr. Ejiofor as a Bond villain, so please elaborate.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

Why? Surely you have a reason that you wouldn't want to see Mr. Ejiofor as a Bond villain, so please elaborate.

I never interesting any his role in movie and movie itself as well.
    I don't think he able play bondian villain role with his experience.

I never interesting any his role in movie and movie itself as well.
    I don't think he able play bondian villain role with his experience.

I'm not sure I completely follow what you are saying, but I certainly believe he has shown that he is a capable enough actor that he can handle any role, including a Bond villain. But of course that's just my opinion.
    Did you see him in Django Unchained? He more then proved that he has the Ability to play someone like a Villain (Although he was the main Protagonist in that Film)
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    Did you see him in Django Unchained? He more then proved that he has the Ability to play someone like a Villain (Although he was the main Protagonist in that Film)

No, Jamie Foxx was. :))

Chiwetel Ejiofor was the villan in Serenity. He was also fantastic in Children of Men. I have to admit I haven't seen 12 Years a Slave, but this is a very good actor.
    In my option, if villain has to be british negro. Why not Idris Elba?

I think you mean 12 Years A Slave. And I agree, on the basis of the various shades and emotions he displayed in that performance alone he shows he is more than capable of playing a Bond villain or any other role.
    Huh? I could of sworn that was him in it? :#
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Watch "Kinky Boots" followed by "12 Years a Slave" and then tell me he can't play any role!
    I loathe "12 Years a Slave". But I enjoyed "Kinky Boots", I don't realized Chiwetel was in it.

PS. It's was Jamie Foxx in DU, AOSin.
    I loathe "12 Years a Slave".

Why???