Chiwetel Ejiofor next Bond Villain?

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    I take it you approve, AlphOmegaSin? :))
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I do :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Was she looking over your shoulder when you were posting ? :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    She may have been, I shall find out later ;)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Lord knows, I enjoy looking at pictures of hot women as much as any other middle-aged heterosexual; but people--this is a topic to discuss the possibility of Chiwetel Ejiofor to play the next Bond villain! If you want to post pictures of hotties, you can always go to the famous "Izabella Stuff" thread in the Off-Topic forum; or even put them here--

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/41570/bond-24-leading-ladies-thanks-lexi/

--to nominate a lady for Next Bond Girl. So. . .back on topic. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Thanks, Hardyboy :)

I have reposted the most relevant/the ones with the prettiest pictures/the ones I liked/my own post in the Bond 24 leading ladies thread. I recomend anyone interested in the new information or just likes pictures of pretty ladies to join me there :007)
    There has been some talk of Japan as a location. That may still happen, but with Chiwetel Ejiofor as the villan it's less likely. He can play a lot of people, but he can't play Russians, Japanese or Chinese and some other nationalities that are extremely homogenous. He can actually play Swedish, because that country has had a very liberal immigration policy for ages. I'm really interested in how this plays out...
    Why couldn't he be a businessman based in Japan, or Russia ? :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Yes, he could be. Not an obvious choice to do so given the levels of racism on those cultures, but possible.
    No problem Number 24, some countries haven't moved into the modern era, yet :#
    It just annoys me when some actors seem to be dismissed for roles or pigeonholed
    Because of their skin colour.
    We can have Connery with a thick Scottish accent playing a Russian submarine Captain
    It might annoy some but not me, he looks the way I'd expect a captain to look. :))
    So having a black actor playing a Russian Mafia type or similar, I'm all for. Get the
    Best actor for the role. -{
    It reminds me of the scene from Fr Ted when Mrs Doyle askes a black priest about all
    the work the church does in Africa, To which he replies in an Irish accent " How would I
    Know ?, I'm from Donegal ! " :))
    Remember Lucy Liu's problems getting to the top of the Yakuza because she is only half Japanese in Kill Bill? That's realistic. Actors can play a wide range of roles regardless of colour and etnicity, but there are limits.
    You have a point, to a point. :D
    Even Dr No had problems being half German. Although that's why Bond
    Villains are so good, they have to be tougher and more ruthless to get
    to the top. Maybe not realistic but it makes a great back story.
    True. A black mafiosi in Russia would need a very special backstory and be severely lacking of ruth ...
    :)) as you say, Japan would look unlikely. Still a great choice
    for a villain.
  • Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 632MI6 Agent
    +1 -{
    What makes you think this is my first time?
    According to MI6 Confidential magazine in issue #24 writers Purvis & Wade had at one time planned for Chiwetel Ejiofor to the villain in "The World Is Not Enough" twelve years ago. Makes sense, EON often goes back to actors and actresses they have considered earlier.
    True, but they never even answered my email when I offered my services. :))
    It's true what you say about Japan and it's Views on Immigration. Being that it's a very traditional Country and that it supposedly Views Outsiders with a bit of Suspicion because of it's Years of self Isolationism. Would love to go there one Day, along with the rest of the Far East.
    Japan faces a huge problem with many pentioners and very low birth numbers. Still they have allowed nearly no immigration to mend this. Racism is part of the problem. I read about a western who lived in Japan and spoke Japanese fluently. He often experienced train conductors apologizing to passengers for placing them in a seat next to a foreigner!
    Oh, I hear that all the time when someone has to be
    Sat next to Me ! :))
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I completly agree. A black actor can play a great variety of stories and nationalities, and there is no reason to make him Mr Big.

Exactly! -{
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Number24 wrote:
    Japan faces a huge problem with many pentioners and very low birth numbers. Still they have allowed nearly no immigration to mend this. Racism is part of the problem. I read about a western who lived in Japan and spoke Japanese fluently. He often experienced train conductors apologizing to passengers for placing them in a seat next to a foreigner!

My youngest son, who is African-American (like me!), has been living in Japan for more than a decade and he has experienced some racism, to be sure, but not quite as much as he expected. Still, although he speaks Japanese fluently and is married to a Japanese woman, it has been pretty challenging for him living there (although not quite so challenging that my wife and I can convince him to move back to the U.S.!) :(
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

My youngest son, who is African-American (like me!), has been living in Japan for more than a decade and he has experienced some racism, to be sure, but not quite as much as he expected. Still, although he speaks Japanese fluently and is married to a Japanese woman, it has been pretty challenging for him living there (although not quite so challenging that my wife and I can convince him to move back to the U.S.!) :(
    A student a few years ago told me that she was afraid to travel alone in Europe, since she was African American and concerned about encountering prejudice. She said she was both stunned and appalled that she faced far less there than she did in her own country. I've heard similar things. It seems everyone can be prejudiced, but there is something unique about our brand.

BTW, you've probably heard of this, but this was a popular if controversial stereotype in Japan courtesy of McDonalds from a decade or so ago: http://www.debito.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/mcdonaldsmrjames001.jpg.
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

A student a few years ago told me that she was afraid to travel alone in Europe, since she was African American and concerned about encountering prejudice. She said she was both stunned and appalled that she faced far less there than she did in her own country. I've heard similar things. It seems everyone can be prejudiced, but there is something unique about our brand.

BTW, you've probably heard of this, but this was a popular if controversial stereotype in Japan courtesy of McDonalds from a decade or so ago: http://www.debito.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/mcdonaldsmrjames001.jpg.

Unfortunately I think you are correct, Gassy. Something about racism as practiced in America seems particularly pernicious, especially when you consider how far we've come. And yes, I have heard about the McDonald's controversy in Japan, among several others. Talk about having a long way to go! :#
    It sad to learn that about Japan. I've always admired two countries
    as I think they are run correctly, or rather as how I would like to live
    and they were Japan and Germany. I still think Britain could learn
    much from them and perhaps we could show how much better a
    tolerant and equal society can be.
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    You guys are so fickle. :)) I thought it was an understanding here at AJB
    that Idris Elba was to be the next villain. :D

You got it wrong! We want Elba to be the next Bond... That would be an awesome choice!
  • PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    edited April 2014
    Jag wrote:

You got it wrong! We want Elba to be the next Bond... That would be an awesome choice!
    Speak for yourself, I don't want a Idris as Bond! :)
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    I hope that this maybe casting means that a possible remake of Live and Let Die is coming up. LALD is my favorite Bond novel, and was done little justice in the original Moore screenplay. There is a lot in the novel that was unused, and what racism exits in the book can be corrected by any competent writer.

I really like Jeffrey Wright and would enjoy seeing him and Craig "bond" as James and Felix go on a tour of NYC.
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    Paperbill wrote:
    Jag wrote:

And why not??? 8-)
  • Smiert-SpionamSmiert-Spionam Posts: 318MI6 Agent
    Jag wrote:
    Paperbill wrote:
    Jag wrote:

And why not??? 8-)

Let's not go there...read the other posts on the subject somewhere on the forum and I'm sure you'll find the answer.
    Smiert Spionam