Bond Blu-ray and 4k Film Club

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Hopefully we'll get a few reviews and thoughts on Barbel's viewing of Bond
    On Bluray. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    edited May 2015
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    I've finally given in and am off to buy a bluray player.

They can be bought quite cheaply now...and they upscale standard DVD's too -{

Been thinking of getting a blu ray player myself (as usual years after everybody else), and didn't realise they upgraded standard dvd's. :s

Is the picture quality improved a lot or should I take the whole plunge and buy the Bond blu ray box set as well? :)
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    It will be a revolutionary Moment :D
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    The upscaling of DVDs gives your DVD collection a whole new lease of life. -{
    They do look amazing.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    The upscaling of DVDs gives your DVD collection a whole new lease of life. -{
    They do look amazing.

Cheers TP -{

I have heard that blu ray players can make the picture quality so much sharper, which now that the eye-sight is not what it was can only be a good thing :)
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    ... but even the DVD upscaling works well - there is not much reason to buying DVDs for any new purchases still.
    Blu Ray is simply better.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    The eye sights going eh! What sort of dvds have you been watching. :))

I noticed it straight away with my Bond DVDs , the just looked brighter, sharper
    with brilliant vibrant colours. In fact I'm more than happy with the quality of
    DVDs played on the bluray player, so I only buy the films I really like on bluray
    itself.
    The eye sights going eh! What sort of dvds have you been watching. :))

I noticed it straight away with my Bond DVDs , the just looked brighter, sharper
    with brilliant vibrant colours. In fact I'm more than happy with the quality of
    DVDs played on the bluray player, so I only buy the films I really like on bluray
    itself.

:)) :)) :))

I will be interested to see the picture quality of my dvd's when watched on a blu ray player. And that's a good idea just to buy my favourite Bond films (which is a lot of them) on blu ray individually.
    Also this seems like a great excuse to watch all the Bond films again :)
    We just have the DVD Player in our Flat, and it does it's Job :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Like many of us I have a load of old DVDs which I'm not going to buy again on
    Bluray. ;) and some bluray conversion aren't great.
    My wife is a big fan of Patrick Swayze or rather his bottom. :D so I put together a
    package of his films on bluray but only got the DVD of "Dirty Dancing" as in many
    Reviews it stated the conversion was rubbish, it didn't look any better than the DVD
    and at times worse, as it showed up noise in the shadows etc. So it may not help
    with some older films, unless it is a special edition.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    got the DVD of "Dirty Dancing" as in many
    Reviews it stated the conversion was rubbish, it didn't look any better than the DVD
    and at times worse, as it showed up noise in the shadows etc. So it may not help
    with some older films, unless it is a special edition.
    It's all about the transfer. A bad Bluray is like an okay DVD. A great DVD is like an okay Bluray.
    But really, nothing beats a great Bluray. The Bond movies look phenomenal IMO.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    I agree, I did loads of checking between the DVD v Bluray versions of the Bonds
    and yes they do look amazing -{ The detail, contrast colour etc just look fantastic {[]
    I do know that FRWL and GF look amazing on Bluray -{
    yes they do look amazing -{ The detail, contrast colour etc just look fantastic {[]
    The two that really shocked me at how much better they looked were FRWL & LTK- it was almost like I'd never really SEEN them before. -{
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent

And TB!!!!!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Higgins wrote:

And TB!!!!!
    All the 60's Bonds look rather fantastic.
    1+ {[]
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,378Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    I've finally given in and am off to buy a bluray player.

They can be bought quite cheaply now...and they upscale standard DVD's too -{

Been thinking of getting a blu ray player myself (as usual years after everybody else), and didn't realise they upgraded standard dvd's. :s

Is the picture quality improved a lot or should I take the whole plunge and buy the Bond blu ray box set as well? :)

Plenty of responses already on this...but...obviously you will need an HD TV as well to appreciate both the upscaled DVD's and bluray...I reckon the upscaled DVD's are about as good as HD Sky/Freeview...as mentioned though, you need a good transfer in the first place -{
    YNWA 97
    You could also add a sound bar, to greatly improve the sound quality as well. ;)
    Thank you everybody for your replies and info regarding the pros of getting a blu ray player. -{
    I do have an HD TV and am looking forward to watching the Bond films in a new light so to speak, (especially the earlier films it seems). Although how I will react when I can see the join in Connery' s toupee is anybody's guess :)
    how I will react when I can see the join in Connery' s toupee is anybody's guess :)
    I've never noticed it in a Bluray, but then again it wasn't something I was looking for either.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 35,980Chief of Staff
    Finally upgrading from Betamax? ;)

:)) :))
    Got an HD TV as well... yes I know...

Anyway, The Bride wanted to watch one of the LOTR movies first, and it looked fantastic. Then I got to watch SF: and I was very impressed. So, watch-a-thons for the foreseeable future!
  • Markyb64Markyb64 Posts: 86MI6 Agent
    If anybody's thinking about purchasing an (UD) Ultra Definition TV, I've been advised to wait till the end of this year when the first UD Blu-ray players and discs will be available plus selected (probably subscription) TV channels will be broadcasting in UD...and inevitably the complete Bond collection maybe in line with the release of Spectre. Now let me see..all the videos: Tick...all the DVD's: Tick...all the Definitive Re-Issues: Tick..all the Blu-rays: Tick...I really should get shares in EON!! :))
    Markyb64 wrote:
    If anybody's thinking about purchasing an (UD) Ultra Definition TV, I've been advised to wait till the end of this year when the first UD Blu-ray players and discs will be available plus selected (probably subscription) TV channels will be broadcasting in UD...and inevitably the complete Bond collection maybe in line with the release of Spectre. Now let me see..all the videos: Tick...all the DVD's: Tick...all the Definitive Re-Issues: Tick..all the Blu-rays: Tick...I really should get shares in EON!! :))

I've looked at them...but prices are dropping all the time...hadn't heard of any TV Channel broadcasting in 4K...I was told it was far too expensive, the cost of the cameras alone would prohibit this...
    YNWA 97
  • Markyb64Markyb64 Posts: 86MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Markyb64 wrote:

I've looked at them...but prices are dropping all the time...hadn't heard of any TV Channel broadcasting in 4K...I was told it was far too expensive, the cost of the cameras alone would prohibit this...

I think the article said that the present HD cameras needed a modification of some kind but I'm guessing in regard to the screen quality, would depend on screen size, pixels etc..but most encouraging is that the audio would have a 7.1 Dolby mix giving better surround coverage.
    Blurays can be found rather cheaply now -{

But it depends on the Make though.
    Many consumer cameras now have the ability to record video in 4k, i.e. the Panasonic FZ1000.
    Most Cameras can now take Pictures in Color :))
    Many consumer cameras now have the ability to record video in 4k, i.e. the Panasonic FZ1000.

Is it 'true' 4K ?
    YNWA 97
    I think it is full 4k, but there is a crop factor. I could be wrong, It's just that I was looking at one this morning. ;)