Bond Blu-ray and 4k Film Club

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    The Iphone 5C Camera is rather powerful -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    got the DVD of "Dirty Dancing" as in many
    Reviews it stated the conversion was rubbish, it didn't look any better than the DVD
    and at times worse, as it showed up noise in the shadows etc. So it may not help
    with some older films, unless it is a special edition.
    It's all about the transfer. A bad Bluray is like an okay DVD. A great DVD is like an okay Bluray.
    But really, nothing beats a great Bluray. The Bond movies look phenomenal IMO.

Yes to this. {[]
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Many consumer cameras now have the ability to record video in 4k, i.e. the Panasonic FZ1000.

:D guess which kind of movies we will be getting at first in 4k :D

Consumer cameras 4k? High chances to make big $$?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Many consumer cameras now have the ability to record video in 4k, i.e. the Panasonic FZ1000.

Is it 'true' 4K ?

Of course!

• JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    4k/UH definition makes sense if you have a huge screen. If you only have a big screen you won't see any difference. And most TV stations are still standard definition!
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,735MI6 Agent
    The Bond films (especially the Connery's) look amazing on Blu Ray. But it goes way beyond things just looking better on Blu Ray. First of all, the original DVD releases of DN, FRWL, and GF were a disaster. DN, FRWL and GF were shot "hard matted" at 1.66 to 1 aspect ratio with a "safe area" for 1.85 to 1 so that they could be projected theatrically (depending on what Country) anywhere from 1.66 to 1 to 1.85 to 1. The original DVD releases took the side-cropped 1.33 to 1 VHS versions and further lopped off picture from the top and bottom to create "wide screen" versions creating absolute abominations. In fact, the company responsible for this (I think it may been Fox that had the original video/DVD rights in the USA) were eventually sued over this for fraud. Fortunately, the next generation of DVD's that were re-mastered corrected this. For the Blu Ray releases MGM pulled out all the stops, going back to the original film negatives and doing a complete digital re-master, cleaning up and correcting any flaws or wear and tear, re-mastering the original mono soundtracks and even creating an optional 5.1 surround track. The studio shot scenes that utilized rear projection were also digitally enhanced and significantly improved (check out the scenes around the pool at the hotel in Miami in GF; they look 100% more convincing on the Blu Ray). All in all, on a good Hi Def wide screen TV, the original Connery Bonds look fabulous....as close to what they looked like upon their initial releases in a good theater as you could get at home.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Agreed HowardB -{ the early films look amazing on bluray. Sometimes I watch them
    just to see what's going on in the background or to see the details in some scenes.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    The Blu Ray releases of the first three Bond films have been lauded as some of the best Blu Ray's ever. The Blu Rays of the three Craig films have been rated at the top of most contemporary films as being superior in picture and sound. You can't go wrong with Bond on Blu Ray.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    The Blu Ray releases of the first three Bond films have been lauded as some of the best Blu Ray's ever.
    I always thought DN looked a bit dark & muddy. Then I got the BD & it brought back that first theatrical experience! Bright sunny beaches... -{
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    I never got to watch the early Bond movies at the cinema, but I find it hard to imagine that the picture quality would be as good as Blu-ray can offer, as long as you have a decent-size display.
    Jag wrote:
    I never got to watch the early Bond movies at the cinema, but I find it hard to imagine that the picture quality would be as good as Blu-ray can offer, as long as you have a decent-size display.
    Film was incredible back then & any loss of crazy detail in the projection process was made up for in the bright colours. Kids today have no idea. It's all digital projection now.
    It may have felt incredible to watch, big screen, panoramic picture and vivid colour, must have been very different from the small, black and white, low-resolution TV's most people had at the time. But I wonder how the resolution achieved by an average cinema compared with Blu-ray quality.
    I was fortunate (actually just old enough :)) to have seen all the Bond films in real movie theaters. The first five were seen in what could be described as "movie palaces" in their first run: 1,000 plus seats, balcony, very large screen (at least 50' wide), real Union Projectionists (not pimply faced teenagers), proper well maintained Carbon Arc lamp projectors. IMO, a properly projected, brand new dye transfer Technicolor 35mm film print on a 40 to 50 foot screen is going to trump any Blu-ray on a large widescreen HD TV. It's just a different, much more visceral experience than sitting at home watching on your 50" flatscreen. I will say that with a great home surround system that these films could certainly sound better than they did in the theater given that the first four Bonds were surprisingly only released in mono, not even the three track stereo prevalent at the time.
    HowardB wrote:
    I was fortunate (actually just old enough :)) to have seen all the Bond films in real movie theaters. The first five were seen in what could be described as "movie palaces" in their first run: 1,000 plus seats, balcony, very large screen (at least 50' wide), real Union Projectionists (not pimply faced teenagers), proper well maintained Carbon Arc lamp projectors. IMO, a properly projected, brand new dye transfer Technicolor 35mm film print on a 40 to 50 foot screen is going to trump any Blu-ray on a large widescreen HD TV. It's just a different, much more visceral experience
    -{ -{ -{ -{ -{ -{ -{
    But if you sat in the front row the picture could seem a little 'soft'. :D
    I always preferred to sit at the front in the cinema. What's the point of having a big screen if you are far away from it? Sometimes it also allows me to take off my glasses! :)
    :))
    Jag wrote:
    I always preferred to sit at the front in the cinema. What's the point of having a big screen if you are far away from it? Sometimes it also allows me to take off my glasses! :)

I prefer to sit in the Middle, where you don't have to keep raising your Head like you do at the Front.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    The best seats in the cinema are in the middle, as that's where the Technician sits
    When setting up the sound system. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Is she a big Busty Technician? :))
    Jag wrote:

The big screen may be not so "big" in the last cinema row, but there (in the rear) - if you are lucky and go out with the right girl - you may see things which are not part of the movie :D

Higgins wrote:
    The big screen may be not so "big" in the last cinema row, but there (in the rear) - if you are lucky and go out with the right girl - you may see things which are not part of the movie :D
    Been there done that... and it was good. :v
    But only if it's not too dark!!!!
    Jag wrote:
    But only if it's not too dark!!!!
    Seeing is highly overrated. :))
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    Well, I haven't been contributing much to this thread, so time to make amends. And what better way to do this than with a look at MY favourite Bond film. -{

OCTOPUSSY (1983)

Released in competition against the unofficial Bond film Never Say Never Again starring Sean Connery, this official entry in the Bond canon, starring Roger Moore, won "The Battle of the Bonds" for that year, and deservedly so.

This one contains a lot of the elements of what makes Bond entertaining - a good story, action, humour, exotic locations, beautiful women, interesting villains and, above all, FUN. If you were to ask me which Bond film(s) would make for ideal family viewing, this would be among the ones I would recommend.

Roger Moore is in excellent form here, and is ably supported by a good cast. John Glen, directing his second Bond film, acquits himself very well in his duties. The film is helped immeasurably by John Barry's score, and the location scenes showing off India are outstanding.

One other interesting thing I noticed when re-watching the film - during the attack on Octopussy's palace. The scene where the thug who was unfortunate enough to end up with the octopus on his face, reminded me a lot of the Alien films, with the octopus resembling the Alien face-hugger. :))

If there was one negative comment I could make, it would be I felt Moore could have left the series after making this film. IMO it would have made for a sweeter final Bond film for him, rather than the abysmal A View to a Kill. However, it still takes nothing away from such an entertaining movie.

The picture quality on Blu-Ray is (as one would come to expect) superlative, with distinct colours throughout.

All in all, a most entertaining and colourful Bond film; one which I wholeheartedly recommend to others. -{
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
    Nice review Brosnan_Fan {[]
    I agree, OP is a great Bond film, with all the ingredients in place. It looks fantastic
    On Bluray, very crisp with punchy colours. I think in this and FYEO Moore puts in
    his best performance as 007.
    I especially like the train sequences, some brilliant stunt work ( sadly Martin Grace
    was very badly injured, doing the sequence hanging on to the side, when the train
    Carried on to a stretch of track, which hadn't been cleared for filming )
    So mix the visuals with the fantastic J Barry soundtrack, and you've a great way
    To pass a few hours. {[]
    OP is an amazing looking Film :)
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,612MI6 Agent
    Great review of OP, Brosnan_fan. I'm in total agreement though I like AVTAK for what it is too. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    Yes, great review Brosnan_fan.
    Watched this film again quite recently and I enjoy it more and more (or should that be Moore and Moore! Sorry bad joke) with every watch. When I redo my list it will be moving up a few places.
    Agree its one of Roger Moore's strongest performances - he seems so at ease playing the character by this stage and appears to be having a great time too.
    Looking forward to your next review -{
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad

Looking forward to your next review -{
    Me too. -{
  • Markyb64Markyb64 Posts: 86MI6 Agent
    Having just read a review about the new Ultra Definition format in Blu-rays coming out at the end of the year, it occurred to me that due to the amount of information you can cram onto these discs, it would be a good idea for the EON not only to put the (Inevitably they will re-issue the whole series on this format) film and hopefully some new extras onto these but also an " isolated soundtrack" whereby you could listen to the disc in say , your car, including all the missed pieces and cues excluded from the catalogue. I know they did this on the Tomorrow Never Dies dvd release in 1999.