Bond Blu-ray and 4k Film Club

Comments

• am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    After reading SniperUK's post on watching Thunderball. I put on the
    Bluray today, at the Bond v Moneypenny scene and for a short time
    after I noticed a tiny white dot in the upper right of the screen. It would
    Gradually fade away, then return. It is tiny ( but once seen ....... ) it then
    Disappears for the rest of the film. :D anyone else ever noticed this ?

The white dot is there in the scene that you mentioned. For 4k version, I hope that the quality is upgraded too
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    In case I haven't mentioned it before, Chew Me looks fantastic in Bluray. :D ( TMWTGG)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    In case I haven't mentioned it before, Chew Me looks fantastic in Bluray. :D ( TMWTGG)

TMWTGG keeps rising in my ranking. Everything on it looks fantastic on BR -{
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent

I certainly noticed that too! :x
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,735MI6 Agent
    Bluray of OHMSS just arrived a few days ago. $8.99 from Amazon for most recent edition. Haven't had time to watch it yet but am looking forward to seeing the entire film for the first time since 1968 (the disgraceful two part ABC TV re-edited abomination doesn't count). Would have loved to see the 4k version in a theater but the local art house only had FRWL and Goldfinger this past year so I'll have to settle for my 46" Sony.
    It's amazing how a bigger screen can add to your enjoyment of a film, I recently
    got a large screen tv and have had a lot of fun watching some of my favourite
    Bonds. -{ infact, I've been toying with the idea of getting a hd digital projector ?
    For a huge screen of over 100 inches but I don't know enough about their picture
    quality.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • The_CommanderThe_Commander EnglandPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    I can heartily recommend an HD projector - I've used one now for 7 or so years and as long as you get a well-reviewed one and also budget for a proper screen (not a white-painted wall), then you'll not regret the purchase.

Television for me is now limited to watching tv programs - anything film wise is always shown on the big screen now. A good surround sound set-up also adds to the enjoyment. In fact as a sound engineer, I'd say a good sound was more important than a big picture. If you'd like some suggestions or help, just PM me.
    1:Sf, 2:NTTD, 3:TSWLM, 4:CR, 5:OHMSS
    Thanks The_Commander -{
    My only knowledge of them is from years ago ( very old tech now)
    The old tv projectors in pubs etc showing football matches. I've no
    experience of them except from what I've read, but HD projectors do
    seem to be loved by those who have them. :)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Problem with a projector still is that you have to use it in a dim room.
    No problem for your man cave, TP - a nogo in our house which is pretty bright.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    My man cave is exactly where I would be putting it ( far too good for the family) :))
    But as I've just splashed out on a new big screen Telly( that was one hell of a film) ;)
    It will be a while, although I'll do my research as I have a wall perfectly placed to put
    a screen. -{
    You'll only get the best out of a projector in a dark room, dim won't cut it still, despite what magazines and website will try and have you believe. However, if you're going to watch a film, as opposed to just have a film on, it's worth doing things properly. My wife and I watched the original Star Wars trilogy last night in preparation for seeing the new film tonight - she'd never seen it on a big screen and was blown away by the sheer spectacle of what she'd previously just seen as a 38 year old sci-fi flick.

Are you just using the speakers on the telly TP? If so, I'd get an amp and speaker kit before you get a pj - there's some gorgeous kit around for not a lot of money these days. Oh, and a soundbar is not and never will be surround sound!
    :)) Thanks, I was looking at a couple of sound bars. My room
    Has no windows ( Think converted basement ) although could I
    Ask, Why is the screen important ? As I do have some lovely smooth
    Plastered walls. Or would an old photo projector screen work ? As I
    Still have mine ( somewhere) from my old slide photographydays, long
    before digital :)) ( I'm that old)
    At the moment this is still a work in progress, I don't even have any decent
    Seating in yet :))
    The screen is important as it provides a calibrated and uniform surface with a black frame to show the picture properly. You can get special finishes too, such as minute glass beads which reflect back a brighter image.

Just look at it this way - you could print out a photo on plain copy paper, or you could print it out on glossy photo paper and put it in a nice frame. Which looks better in the end? The image is still the same, but a well-presented picture is always better to view.
    Thanks again, -{ I'll have to do a bit more reading up on them. :)
    You're very welcome TP - but also, please, please don't forget the sound. It adds so much to the enjoyment of a film and these days, there's some lovely discreet systems available, which when combined with a subwoofer, will take you in a proper thrill-ride. Kef do a speaker that's only 35mm thick and can be wall mounted. Pop 5 of these beauties around the room, a sub in the corner and you will wonder how you ever managed with little telly speakers!
  • VandrellVandrell London, EnglandPosts: 324MI6 Agent
    You're very welcome TP - but also, please, please don't forget the sound. It adds so much to the enjoyment of a film and these days, there's some lovely discreet systems available, which when combined with a subwoofer, will take you in a proper thrill-ride. Kef do a speaker that's only 35mm thick and can be wall mounted. Pop 5 of these beauties around the room, a sub in the corner and you will wonder how you ever managed with little telly speakers!

This 100%.

Our house flooded a couple of years back and during the re-fit the wife decided she wanted granite worktops in the kitchen. I agreed but the trade off was that i could have a surround sound system. I looked at the Kefs and gave them a test drive, great bit of kit and well worth the money. I ended up spending a bit more and going with ceiling speakers as they are better for music which we also use them for (would have got the Kefs if it was just for films).
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,735MI6 Agent
    First Blu Ray I watched on the 46" Sony when I got it a few years ago was Goldfinger. Soundwise, I used to do two channel sound through my ancient Yamaha Receiver (it was so old it was actually made in Japan). The Yamaha finally died a couple of years ago and I replaced it with a Yamaha Surround Sound Unit but I am running basically three channel stereo with my two original Polk Speakers (so old they are actually made in the USA) and an old AR Speaker that I have re-purposed as a center channel. It actually sounds quite good. With two kids in college the budget is a bit tight to go full surround. When its time for a new TV I'll go to a 55" (anything bigger would be too much for the size of my living room).
    I went for a 50" Television, simply because I got a great deal on it, the
    Next size up 55" was double the price. Now I know TV size is like sex
    Inches are very important ;) but I couldn't justify that sort of expence.
    Although as the cost of these bigger screens come down, who knows
    How big we'll all be watching Bond on in the future. :)
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    I've just ordered the steelbox editions with the titles sequence artwork. It probably would have been cheaper to have got them when they were first out last year. What caused me to hesitate was that the films in this edition are selected on the basis that they supposedly cover the whole SPECTRE saga (pre-reboot and reboot)... yet DN is missing!
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • I got the Blu Ray set as a present for Christmas and have been watching them, I must say in most of the special features you find in depth documentaries about the films that I haven't seen anywhere else.
    Very interesting.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 35,981Chief of Staff
    Hello Solitaire's lovechild, and welcome to AJB.
    We have an introduction for new members here: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/45180/int … the-forum/
    and please feel free to introduce yourself to us here: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/34154/wel … s/page/64/
  • Barbel wrote:
    Hello Solitaire's lovechild, and welcome to AJB.
    We have an introduction for new members here: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/45180/int … the-forum/
    and please feel free to introduce yourself to us here: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/34154/wel … s/page/64/

Thankyou Barbel
    Couldn't agree with the introduction more and look forward to joining in the discussions :)
    Welcome Solitaire's Lovechild -{ yes in many ways we were spoiled
    with special features, they seem to be almost punishing us now, with the
    Bond blurays etc by seemingly not putting many special features on. :#
    Spectre : http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Spectre-Blu-ray/79099/

"If IMDb is to believed, post-production was completed on a digital intermediate at 4k, which makes sense for a film that was intended to be widely exhibited on IMAX screens as well as in regular theaters. The DI process, together with contemporary film stocks and lenses, results in a detailed and fine-grained image on MGM's 1080p, AVC-encoded Blu-ray, which renders even the darkest sequences with exceptional clarity. "

It certainly looks very detailed and with great colour rendition.

" Fine detail is so good that even the aerial shots of crowds in the Day of the Dead sequence reveal individual figures on the ground."

"Spectre's lossless DTS-HD MA 7.1 track announces its authoritative presence with deep bass drum beats that initiate the Day of the Dead sequence, and the rest of the track reflects the same approach that director Mendes followed in Skyfall: a near-constant cacophony of organized sound accompanying Bond and his allies through every phase of the adventure. The Mexico City sequence surrounds the viewer with street bands and revelers, then explodes (literally) into a boisterous chase that includes a helicopter fight where the sound of whirring blades shifts with the perspective onscreen. A car chase through Rome is a whirlwind of engines, collisions and fire effects. A snowy mountain pursuit involving multiple vehicles and an airplane is . . . well, you'll just have to hear it for yourself. Even the quieter scenes, in rooms with humming computers and multiple screens, have a distinct sonic identity. Like Skyfall, Spectre could be listened to without the picture, and it would never be boring."

Sadly, very few extras. A few video blogs and a short ( although interesting) feature on the opening sequence, and
    a few stills. It's a shame we didn't get a better selection.
  • Solitaire's lovechildSolitaire's lovechild Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    Hi all
    Just recieved my spectre blu ray steelbook was late as had to buy in line with payday, but anyway i recieved it today and it only has one disc, i read that they come with two discs one for special features ? Anyone else get the one disc or anyone get the two disc?
    Thanks
    I too just got the standard bluray and there is only one disc, ss there's not much in the way
    of special features. You call watch them all in about half an hour.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,612MI6 Agent
    Extras don't really seem to be Eon's specialty these days - witness QoS, SF and now SP! :#
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Yes the phrase "Piss Poor" springs to mind. :)
    For instance one of the sequences I was really impressed with and would love to
    see how it was filmed, was the airplane snow chase . Yes I've seen the short vlogs
    And a few stills. ...... I guess I'll have to wait for a special edition, someday. :#