Your personal possibly unpopular or obtuse Bond movie opinions

1151617181921»

Comments

• walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    it's simply nothing like any other Bond film

That's probably why it's appreciated by most fans and ignored/not-watched generally by the public. Other than the film being exceptionally well made and written - I think the film and Lazenby also get a bit of the benefit of the doubt as it is a standalone.

A few of the odd-one-out Bond films like LALD, AVTAK, LTK have their groups of fans which adore their differences and amplify their appreciation for them.
    Would SF qualify as an odd-one-out Bond film?
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent

Yeah I think so :)
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters

Yeah I think so :)

Indeed -{
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    What on earth is an "odd one out" bond film?
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Jarvio wrote:

I think it's intended to mean Bond films that differ a bit from the norm in terms of formula, tone, etc and tend to be polarizing as a result, but nevertheless have a devoted fan base.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:

I think it's intended to mean Bond films that differ a bit from the norm in terms of formula, tone, etc and tend to be polarizing as a result, but nevertheless have a devoted fan base.

Hmm fair enough.

I don't see LALD or AVTAK that way though, I find them both quite generic/usual (although excellent) bond films.

For me it would be OHMSS and LTK, easily. Then there's the 4 DC films, but they have each other.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:

Hmm fair enough.

I don't see LALD or AVTAK that way though, I find them both quite generic/usual (although excellent) bond films.

For me it would be OHMSS and LTK, easily. Then there's the 4 DC films, but they have each other.

The 4 DC films are all "odd one out" in their own ways, so they don't even have each other. Each one has a completely different tone.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:

I was going to point out QoS but by that definition, here it doesn't even have a devoted fan base.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:

I was going to point out QoS but by that definition, here it doesn't even have a devoted fan base.
    I've noticed after Spectre more people have been vocal about their fondness for QOS.
  • MarcAngeDracoMarcAngeDraco Piz GloriaPosts: 564MI6 Agent
    I don't see SF as an odd one out. I think it fits in perfectly with the first 20 Bond films. I see CR as an odd one out, because it doesn't feel like a Bond film.
    Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    I like QoS because it is hard as nails and doesn't bother with the weak mummy/daddy issues that bog down CR/SF/SP. There's a small fan-base for it on here...
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • OakvaleOakvale Pennsylvania Posts: 155MI6 Agent
    I like QoS because it is hard as nails and doesn't bother with the weak mummy/daddy issues that bog down CR/SF/SP. There's a small fan-base for it on here...

Yeah, QoS is great. The only issues with it are stylistic, but the rest is solid.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent

There are some of the mummy issues with Bond and M (M is too much of a mother to Bond in this film), and that's a problem for me. But I like that Craig seems more Bond-like in this film than he does in CR and SF, and that helps for me.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

There are some of the mummy issues with Bond and M (M is too much of a mother to Bond in this film), and that's a problem for me. But I like that Craig seems more Bond-like in this film than he does in CR and SF, and that helps for me.
    Agreed!!!!
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS