Connery's Lacklustre Performance in YOLT?

Comments

• ZorinIndustriesZorinIndustries United StatesPosts: 837MI6 Agent
    I've always found that his reactions to other characters' lines lack a certain inflection that he had in films past, especially GF.

"Tanaka?"
    "Oh, Heaven forbid."

Lines like this could have had a bit more inflection. A particular GF line I can recall is his conversation with Tilly Masterson.
    "A double blowout! I've never seen one of those before!"

And later on
    "I apologize, Goldfinger!"

Just bits and pieces of his earlier performances show more inflection, like he's putting more effort into his delivery. I thought these kinds of deliveries were missing in YOLT. He just seems a bit more monotone than his extraordinary potential.

Does that make sense?
    "Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye 2. Goldfinger 3. Skyfall 4. OHMSS 5. TWINE
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Does that make sense?
    Yeah, I can see what you're saying. I don't disagree. But I *like* his slightly more world weary Bond in YOLT!
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Come to think of it, was there any need for the opening Scenes of DAF to be dubbed?
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Come to think of it, was there any need for the opening Scenes of DAF to be dubbed?
    Yeah, the guy wouldn't say "Cairo".
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:

Yes, that's very strange indeed - like most of the rest of the film then! :)) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    chrisisall wrote:

You have to Punch him first ;)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I wonder where they had in mind before having to dub Cairo ? :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Bit strange them dubbing Connery though -{
    Well he does have a slight accent ! You've probably never noticed
    It takes a very highly tuned ear like mine to even notice. ;) :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Well, his Accent is more broad now. Must be the Hearing Aids working properly then? :v
    It is odd though, at a guess, I say Connery wasn't available for
    Filming so perhaps a body double was used and then his voice
    Added ? ;)
  • lueth2048lueth2048 Posts: 120MI6 Agent
    Maybe Bond's attitude in You Only Live Twice was 'why am I investigating the disappearance of American and Russian spacecraft? Where is the CIA and KGB?'
    lueth2048 wrote:
    Maybe Bond's attitude in You Only Live Twice was 'why am I investigating the disappearance of American and Russian spacecraft? Where is the CIA and KGB?'
    :)) :))
    :)) It's the American's problem. Let them clean it up ! " ;)
    :)) It's the American's problem. Let them clean it up ! " ;)
    Precisely. -{
    Although if WWW3 did kick off, it wouldn't be good for Britain either. :))
    Although if WWW3 did kick off, it wouldn't be good for Britain either. :))
    We have no interest in WWIII (unless we start it).
    :)) just noticed I had one too many Ws, :D
    :)) just noticed I had one too many Ws, :D
    Wild World War....
    I love the Wild, Wild, West. ;)
    Britain and Europe was Piggy in the Middle during America and Russia's Spat.
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    Let's just imagine that Daniel Craig gained a few pounds,lost all his muscle mass and had to wear an obvious hairpiece. Now, let's imagine that he made a Bond movie where the set (a volcano, for instance) was the star, not him. Now let's imagine that halfway through the movie, the action stopped on its tracks and Craig was forced for a solid 15 minutes to wear an even more ridiculous hairpiece and take part in a motionless ceremony of some sort (a marriage for instance).

Imagine Daniel Craig's performance under those circumstances and now compare it in your mind with CR. Because that is exactly what happened to Connery on YOLT. He was bored,angry and tired and it shows, specially in the Japan scenes shot on location where he was at his most bored, angry and tired.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    I watched it again this morning. ;) and sorry but Connery
    Isn't firing on all cylinders. :# He is a professional so gives
    A good performance, but he'd mental already left the series. ;)
    Because this is the interrnet, this is where I am required to tell you that your opinion is wrong. :))
    Seriously though, one aspect of Connery's Bond I most appreciated from DN & FRWL was his sort of solemn demeanour. There was a seriousness to him that sort of faded in GF & TB. All of a sudden he seemed to be having the time of his life (when his life wasn't in actual danger, anyway). In YOLT I see a return to the earlier Bond, not as carefree, more serious, slightly darker.

They're all wrong, of course, but give them time. The youngsters will come around! :))
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    We will come around one Day ;) ;)
    ..... Once the drugs wear off :p :))
    Weed? What Weed?! :))
    They're all wrong, of course, but give them time. The youngsters will come around! :))
    Yeah, we were young once too.
    Just not as wrong... :))
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Virgil37 wrote:
    Let's just imagine that Daniel Craig gained a few pounds,lost all his muscle mass and had to wear an obvious hairpiece. Now, let's imagine that he made a Bond movie where the set (a volcano, for instance) was the star, not him. Now let's imagine that halfway through the movie, the action stopped on its tracks and Craig was forced for a solid 15 minutes to wear an even more ridiculous hairpiece and take part in a motionless ceremony of some sort (a marriage for instance).

Imagine Daniel Craig's performance under those circumstances and now compare it in your mind with CR. Because that is exactly what happened to Connery on YOLT. He was bored,angry and tired and it shows, specially in the Japan scenes shot on location where he was at his most bored, angry and tired.
    Oddly enough, I'm not sure Daniel Craig would fare poorly under the conditions you describe. His Bond is already much less animated than Connery's, and in a strange way, he might actually do better as a result. That's not a slam against Craig -- his is the best Bond since Connery -- but a commentary on how different their acting styles are.

With Connery, though, he also was generally resentful of the films at that point, and his relationship with Broccoli was getting worse, so it doesn't surprise me than he turned in a less-than-stellar performance all around. But I do think Connery prefers the scenes where there is interaction with other actors to the ones where he is merely a presence and having to react to the situation in a scene, which is a lot of what he is doing in YOLT.
    Virgil37 wrote:
    Let's just imagine that Daniel Craig gained a few pounds,lost all his muscle mass and had to wear an obvious hairpiece.
    Gosh, that would be terrible. I'm just glad that in his last 60's Bond Connery only gained a little weight yet still looked very fit for the role and wore a hairpiece so good that it was only many years after I saw YOLT that I found out it WAS a hairpiece! -{ B-)
    As a kid and a teen, and even now to be honest. I never
    Ever Noticed Connery's wig ! :D