Connery's Lacklustre Performance in YOLT?

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    it was a commentary in a book that started this one, though I can't recall which book it was at the moment.

John Brosnan, James Bond In The Cinema (Tantivy Pres, 1972) "weary, bored and slightly overweight"
    chrisisall wrote:
    a hairpiece so good that it was only many years after I saw YOLT that I found out it WAS a hairpiece! -{ B-)

To be fair, he isn't wearing the hairpiece throughout; there are a couple of scenes without it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    To be fair, he isn't wearing the hairpiece throughout; there are a couple of scenes without it.
    See, I'm not even sure of what was his real hair & what wasn't in his 60's movies. I'm assuming from The Anderson Tapes that he wore the Shatner-like widow's peak enhanser, is that correct?
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Although all my illusions would be shattered if it turned out
    Connery wore a chest wig ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Why? Were you thinking of building nest? :))
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:
    Let's just imagine that Daniel Craig gained a few pounds,lost all his muscle mass and had to wear an obvious hairpiece.
    Gosh, that would be terrible. I'm just glad that in his last 60's Bond Connery only gained a little weight yet still looked very fit for the role and wore a hairpiece so good that it was only many years after I saw YOLT that I found out it WAS a hairpiece! -{ B-)

That's it, chris. Stand your ground! Connery is in fine shape in YOLT and the hair isn't even a factor. And whatever boredom or bitterness he may have been experiencing behind the scenes, it doesn't diminish his performance as Bond in any significant way. YOLT is terrific fun and Connery is, as always, one of the main reasons. That's a fact! :D
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Funnily enough YOLT has two of my favourite fight sequences !
    In Osato's office and the Fight with Hans in Blofeld's pad. {[]
    Not big sequences but brilliantly staged. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I'm with BL.
    Funnily enough YOLT has two of my favourite fight sequences !
    In Osato's office and the Fight with Hans in Blofeld's pad. {[]
    Not big sequences but brilliantly staged. :D
    Oh, DEFINITELY. Short but sweet, right up there with Lazenby's first two (but cooler).
    chrisisall wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    See, I'm not even sure of what was his real hair & what wasn't in his 60's movies. I'm assuming from The Anderson Tapes that he wore the Shatner-like widow's peak enhanser, is that correct?

Nope. Check out the scene when Bond and Kissy climb the volcano and stop for a rest. Make-up wise, it's transitional between his "Japanese" look (yeah, right) and his normal Bond look for the rest of the movie, and he isn't wearing a hairpiece.
    Barbel wrote:
    Check out the scene when Bond and Kissy climb the volcano and stop for a rest.
    Thanks; I'll check it. -{
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:
    Let's just imagine that Daniel Craig gained a few pounds,lost all his muscle mass and had to wear an obvious hairpiece.
    Gosh, that would be terrible. I'm just glad that in his last 60's Bond Connery only gained a little weight yet still looked very fit for the role and wore a hairpiece so good that it was only many years after I saw YOLT that I found out it WAS a hairpiece! -{ B-)

It's all relative of course. He might be "very fit" comparing him to an average male his age back in 1966 (when the film was made). However, comparing him to his own self in 1962 he looks terribly unfit to me. He had lost all traces of muscle definition.

Are you really serious about the hairpiece?

Anyways, you obviously enjoy the movie, so I'm not going to argue. It's just my least favourite 60s Bond.

What? that was the hairpiece I was talking about! did he have another on top of his head? :D
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:
    Let's just imagine that Daniel Craig gained a few pounds,lost all his muscle mass and had to wear an obvious hairpiece. Now, let's imagine that he made a Bond movie where the set (a volcano, for instance) was the star, not him. Now let's imagine that halfway through the movie, the action stopped on its tracks and Craig was forced for a solid 15 minutes to wear an even more ridiculous hairpiece and take part in a motionless ceremony of some sort (a marriage for instance).

Imagine Daniel Craig's performance under those circumstances and now compare it in your mind with CR. Because that is exactly what happened to Connery on YOLT. He was bored,angry and tired and it shows, specially in the Japan scenes shot on location where he was at his most bored, angry and tired.
    Oddly enough, I'm not sure Daniel Craig would fare poorly under the conditions you describe.

DC would fare very poorly under YOLT conditions.
    Gassy Man wrote:
    His Bond is already much less animated than Connery's, and in a strange way, he might actually do better as a result.  That's not a slam against Craig -- his is the best Bond since Connery -- but a commentary on how different their acting styles are.

I don't think DC and SC performances as Bond are that dissimilar. DC is actually the only actor I can imagine as Bond in Connery's best movies (DN FRWL GF TB of course).
    Virgil37 wrote:
    I am indeed sir! I think it looks perfect in YOLT. And as in the later 60's more hair on one's head was coming into style, I actually prefer his do better in YOLT than in any other Bond film! -{
    Barbel wrote:
    Check out the scene when Bond and Kissy climb the volcano and stop for a rest.
    I checked it; holy crap, I never thought to examine that before, at first glance it just looks like his Japanese wig, but you can tell it's his real hair. Wow, he had a lot more of it than I was expecting, given all the talk about hairpieces!
    :)) I too checked out that scene today.
    :)) I too checked out that scene today.
    You'd think we'd have better things to do, eh? 8-)
    :)) When you get a bit of info, you have to check it out ! ;)
    And he's not wearing it while swimming underwater with Kissy. It's a bit more obvious there.
    Side bit of info- Kissy's swimming double (Mie Hama couldn't swim, which was a slight problem since swimming is Kissy's job) was Mrs Connery, Diane Cilento, in a black wig. Perhaps she borrowed Sean's? :))
    Barbel wrote:
    I'm with BL.

Now I feel truly vindicated! -{
    Us men of taste have to stick together!
    chrisisall wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:
    I am indeed sir! I think it looks perfect in YOLT. And as in the later 60's more hair on one's head was coming into style, I actually prefer his do better in YOLT than in any other Bond film! -{

And all this time I thought I was the only one!
    Barbel wrote:

Indeed! There are so few of us left! :))
    Barbel wrote:
    We are generations being born & dying. Don't lose your head!
    chrisisall wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    We are generations being born & dying. Don't lose your head!

Thank you for that dose of reality! :))
    Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobos Ramírez says you're welcome.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobos Ramírez says you're welcome.

Of course! Because he's not Spanish, he's Egyptian! :))
    Of course! Because he's not Spanish, he's Egyptian! :))
    You complain endlessly.
  • Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent
    I can sense Sean Connery phoning it in during the segments like the Little Nellie dogfight and the car chase where he's not really in control, just sitting there in front of clumsy bluescreen/rear projection. But he's more into his role when he is snarky/guarded with Tiger Tanaka, flirting with Aki (I liked his anguished, shellshocked reaction to her murder), and his brawling with SPECTRE mooks.
    'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'