Anything Good on TV ?

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,518Chief of Staff
    I've bought my son that entire series...he loves them -{
    YNWA 97
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I haven't read them, but I did think it funny that in the
    UK version the kids are 14 but in the American books
    The kids are 16. :)) UK kids must be tougher ! :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Watched all the series of " Mickey Flanagan's, Detour de France"
    Very funny programme -{ and very interesting, I learnt a few
    Thins ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Watched all the series of " Mickey Flanagan's, Detour de France"
    Very funny programme -{ and very interesting, I learnt a few
    Thins ! :))

I enjoyed the show too...felt it nearly tipped over into 'laughing at Johnny Foreigner' a couple of times...but it was informative...
    YNWA 97
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,765MI6 Agent
    This is the TV series I look the most forward to seing next year: "The heavy water war".
    I once saw Joacim Rønneberg, the leader of the legendary mission to stop the Nazis from getting nuclear power, while hiking in the mountains. I was so in awe I couldn't say a word.

The trailer looks impressive:

http://www.nrk.no/video/den_forste_traileren_til_kampen_om_tungtvannet/5157B180FE1515F4/emne/tv/

thww_festival_%7B4e704c80-097e-e311-93fe-b8ac6f1685e8%7D.jpg
  • ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    Just watched the trailer, that looks brilliant, I do hope we get to see it in the UK -{
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
    That looks far too good not to go worldwide -{
    YNWA 97
    This story has been filmed twice before. It was given the Hollywood treatment (that is: wildly inacurate) in Kirk Douglas' "Heroes of Telemark" in 1965. Much more interesting was the 1948 Norwegian/French movie "The Battle of the Heavy Water". I think it's uniqe in being made only four years after the real mission and many of the saboteurs play themselves. One of the actors said many years later: "We were teaching the agents acting and the agents were teaching us sabotage."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040504/

Here is a subtitled version of the 1948 movie. Probably the only special forces movie where real commandoes play themselves in a reactement of a real mission. And it might have been the most important special forces mission in WWII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNzU1hTNZgg
    Must mention " Touch of cloth" again, funniest spoof TV detective show ! :))
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    I really don't watch much in the way of episodic television these days but I have been enjoying The Flash (based on the DC comic of the same name, spun off from Arrow).

Unlike a lot of these made for TV comic book adaptations, this one really tries to embrace its four color heritage, already introducing lots of the book's classic rogue's gallery while also throwing a few curves so as to keep viewers on their toes.

About the only misstep so far has been the character of Iris, who will eventually become Barry's love interest, as she really doesn't seem to have found her niche yet.
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Any fans of Broadchurch? Not seen it yet myself. New trailer for the second series scheduled to begin on Monday 5th January.

Broadchurch Series 2 OFFICIAL Trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isToG5_U1Ug
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
    Brian Pern : a life in rock.
    Funny spoof documentary series about the life of an old rocker.
    Michael Kitchen is the manager and many guest appearances
    From various stars including Sir Roger. :D

On Broadchurch although it was a big hit ( first British detective drama filmed in the
    Downbeat Scandinavian style) I found it very slow going. Although my teenage
    Daughters loved it.
    I just saw the episode of Lilyhammer where Bruce Springsteen plays Frank's (Steven van Zandt) brother. It was great! On top of it all, the village were the nearest COOP is to where I grew up was mentioned several times :D
    Last night on " Through the keyhole " one of the stars homes was
    Jane Seymour, still a beautiful lady. On Top Gear, two of the cars
    Used to drive through Argentina had been used by Bond the 71
    Ford mustang and the 81 Lotus Esprit. Oddly the Lotus managed
    every bit of terrain, even stuff a 4x4 would have had trouble with. :D
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I just saw the episode of Lilyhammer where Bruce Springsteen plays Frank's (Steven van Zandt) brother. It was great! On top of it all, the village were the nearest COOP is to where I grew up was mentioned several times :D

Thats something to look forward to ! :)
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    We had a programme on the TV last night ,hosted by Al Murray (the pub landlord ) about spy films .I don't know if any of
    you guys saw it, but they had Stella Rimington on as a guest.They talked about all the classic spy films,not too much on Bond, more the old stuff.But a very good show,then after they showed The Ipcress file,straight after, (WIFE get me another cold beer ) ahh a good night :D
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    We had a programme on the TV last night ,hosted by Al Murray (the pub landlord ) about spy films .I don't know if any of
    you guys saw it, but they had Stella Rimington on as a guest.They talked about all the classic spy films,not too much on Bond, more the old stuff.But a very good show,then after they showed The Ipcress file,straight after, (WIFE get me another cold beer ) ahh a good night :D
    Yes also watched it, very good, he recently did one on war films which was also very good.
    He is very good at hosting programmes of that kind -{
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Back To The Future on ITV2 -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Micro and I are watching it :))
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    That's tomorrow Night sorted then, Dark Night on ITV2 -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    :)) it's already started in my house, watching the trailer my wife
    Keeps asking is it the one with Tommy Lee Jones ! :D I've already
    Told her twice. It isn't.
    :))
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I just finished with Netflix's Marco Polo series. IMDb users have been bashing it for its inaccuracies, and they are legion (I'm especially annoyed by the chop-socky stuff that's in every episode--even a blind monk who's a martial arts wizard), but what the hell--it's big, colorful, and entertaining, with an excellent performance by Benedict Wong as Kublai Khan. BTW, our own Zao, Rick Yune, shows up in a few episodes; and the Bond producers might consider Wong and especially Chin Han for future villain roles (or maybe even roles as allies), and Zhu Zhu, Claudia Kim, and Olivia Cheng would all make great Bond Women.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    If I used Netflix, I would give it a go -{
    Not so much TV but on BBC radio 4, they are broadcasting
    Good Omens, ( available on demand) Terry Prachet's take
    On the Omen. Were after a mix up the Antichrist is not given to
    The American ambassadors family!, but to an ordinary British
    One ! :))
    edited January 2015
    I'm watching season 2 of Vikings. The series is a strange mix of good, bad and moronic.
    What is moronic, you ask?

-Vikings having no art, litterature or even written language?
    - Vikings being polite and even asking permision from slaves (treller)
    - A slave girl openly training to be a shield maiden.

There are things that are unproven, but questionable:

-Shield maidens
    - Burrials by setting fire to ship on water
    -Strange shape of the bows of some of the longships

And it's still by far the best viking fiction on film or TV ever .....
    On QI last week they said apart from one king. There were
    no vikings burnt on ships. ;)
    Yes, I think that was Beowulf. He was mythic person who came from the sea.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    On QI last week they said apart from one king. There were
    no vikings burnt on ships. ;)

I enjoy QI, but they do get things wrong. Not saying that this is one of them, just an observation.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    :)) yes, sometimes they do but they also pointed out that
    40% of everything we know is wrong, as every year there
    Is some new evidence, or theories which prove the old wrong.
    So that's why every 10 years 40% of everything we've been
    Taught is wrong ! :))
    Then again they could be wrong about that. ;)