(Bond 24) SPECTRE's Opening Credits Theme Song.

Comments

• ThomoThomo ReadingPosts: 949MI6 Agent
    London Evening Standard like it. I've been listening when I've had the chance and it's really grown on me from when I first heard this morning
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Yep. Me too. Didn't like it at first but it has grown on me after
    Several listens.
    ( also if lots of the really old guys on AJB, hate it. It must be
    Cool and modern ) ;) :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • JimatayJimatay Posts: 126MI6 Agent
    https://youtu.be/_dsqq6yrtUY
    First cover version. :)

Sounds better with a woman singing.
  • SkippySkippy Posts: 446MI6 Agent
    Well if nothing else it will make a great slow waltz for Strictly Come Dancing :D
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent
    Jimatay wrote:
    https://youtu.be/_dsqq6yrtUY
    First cover version. :)

Sounds better with a woman singing.

She was singing?...Me likey, Donk is just popping off to hit his man sausage with a sledge hammer! :D
  • Sriram858Sriram858 Posts: 182MI6 Agent
    So after finally checking out the song for Spectre, I am very let down with this track.

This does not even sound like a Bond Theme Song for a movie... This sounds like something a teeny bop kid would sing to his girlfriend after breaking up with her after one week....

The track starts out sounding epic with Thunderball esque sound but then turns into a junk pop crying record...

Clearly Barbara & Michael Wilson have no idea what they are doing in terms of music. This is frustrating to see due to the awesome sound/music of Adele for Skyfall. I am even rating Another Way to Die as way better than this song...

I really hope the score and movie are epic because if the really did not do the bond fans right with this track.

Sam Smith is the right choice but the sound for this track is not there neither is the lyrics... Very Disappointing and will not download/buy the song.
  • WordsAndDreamsWordsAndDreams Posts: 93MI6 Agent
    I think it actually could be pretty great if worked into the score like classic Bond themes/films. Whether or not they actually want to do that is another thing, though.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    i'm actually get quite angry about it now X-( ... irrational I know but hey ...

That screeching falsetto is awful, awful awful. The beginning is quite good and if he'd stuck to the lower ranges of his voice it may have worked.

I had really hoped they wouldn't go with Sam Smith and unfortunately I've proved myself right :#
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    If anyone thought that it could not get worse, listen to this - my ears are bleeding
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fB63ztKnGvo
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Well...if there's one thing in Bond that's more polarizing than the lead actor choice, it's the film's theme song :) About half of them over the years have been growers instead of 'love at first listen'...but I can honestly say that I don't detest any of them. They can't all be Dame Shirley belting out 'Diamonds.' C'est la guerre.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • icsics Posts: 1,413MI6 Agent
    UGHHHHHHHHHH not a Nics song.... X-(
  • ShatterfangShatterfang Posts: 538MI6 Agent
    edited September 2015
    This ended up a lot like how me and a lot of other people on here expected. It is 100% Sam Smith's brand and not James Bond's brand, regardless of the lie he says in that interview. "I wrote this thing in 10 minutes and its the best thing i've ever done in my life" - Well it probably is the best song you've ever made, but that's just because of the first 15 seconds of instrumental you released a week ago. I have never actually wanted so badly to stop playing a bond song, making it 2 minutes in. I can even enjoy another way to die and die another day, and licence to kill. But this thing. This isn't a bond song. Its the wrong genre and it sucks. And beyond his actual singing style, the actual lyrics are god awful as well. I enjoyed the theme song to "SPY" a lot more than this. I can't believe I'm gonna say it, this might be the 2nd bond song not worthy of being on my ipod, the first being Muse's rejected theme. Ok, as a big bond fan i gotta go and finish the damn thing. :# :( :(|) :s ?:) X-(
  • GoldHildingGoldHilding WinnipegPosts: 58MI6 Agent
    I wonder if they had reversed the format if it would have worked better. I found the verses to be big and very Bond-like, and then the chorus gets very quiet, too subtle and dull. If it had a bigger chorus I'd probably be ok with it
    “Ive been near before, but always hit the floor” – This doesn’t make you feel like James Bond. It is damn depressing. It sounds like he’s just complaining about his crappy life. Regardless of Bond’s parent’s dying, and his alcoholism, how (Craig’s bond) can’t keep a girl for too long, I have to seriously believe that he enjoys his job, like a lot. Why else would he not have retired after vesper died. He could’ve started looking for love again, but instead chose the adrenaline rush he gets in his dangerous profession.

“Never shoot to miss” – this is like the only line in the whole thing that could possibly tie it to bond. Otherwise its just a new single that Smith is pushing out for himself. He lied in that interview, he did not make the song for bond fans, he made it for his fans, and that is just wrong. He has just scarred what has already been deemed the otherwise completely perfect bond film by pretty much the entire internet.
    “If I risk it all would you break my fall” – What in the world does that possibly even mean? Its just sentimental dribble poop.
    I honestly would rather listen to the disney’s Pocahontas soundtrack. That’s actually pretty good.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Okay, lame confession time...the first time he broke into that eye-watering falsetto I genuinely thought it was a woman and was thinking to myself "Hey, I didn't know this was a duet." Whoops.
  • TheGRmanTheGRman United States, IowaPosts: 32MI6 Agent
    Well... too bad Sam's voice doesn't compliment the orchestration of the song. He said he wanted to sing a love song... maybe he should've been worried about singing a "Bond" song. Not impressed in least by Writings on The Wall. It's his voice that really blows this for me.
    "Now pay attention double O seven..." - Q. Words I think we should all live by.

- Troy
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,812MI6 Agent
    The Commander wrote that Florence of Florenece and the Machine might have made this work. It might. She has a very good voice and falsetto doesn't have to sound weak from a good female singer. Like many have written before, hopefully the instrumentals will be used in the soundtrack.
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    TheGRman wrote:
    He said he wanted to sing a love song... maybe he should've been worried about singing a "Bond" song.
    quite the opposite in fact:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HNhKI0Ik1Mg
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    I like the song...it will play well over the opening titles. I don't care for Sam's voice for this song, especially when he goes super high register; more like what Bond would have sounded like after the torture scene in CR :s :)) -{
    TheGRman wrote:
    He said he wanted to sing a love song... maybe he should've been worried about singing a "Bond" song.
    quite the opposite in fact:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HNhKI0Ik1Mg

He's completely lying. He wrote a sam smith song for his fans and not a bond song for bond fans, obviously
    edited September 2015
    This is literally what it sounds like: "I don't have any friends :(. I am unemployed :(, I live at home with my parents :(, My boyfriend got cancer and died:(, my earring got infected :(, and my dog ran away :( . Life is too hard :# , I keep giving up (falling down, running away). :( But if you give me a shoulder to cry on :(, maybe I will quit complaining!!! :)
  • JG007JG007 Manchester , United KingdomPosts: 276MI6 Agent
    I've held off posting my opinion as I wanted to give the song chance and a few plays before casting judgment.

All I'll say is that it's definitely a grower on me plus over the titles I think it'll work excellently. Instrumentals are great , the only parts which I'm not overly keen on is when the pitch goes rather high , but again it's a grower for sure. Played it a good few times now and I seem to be getting more fond.

In honesty I think it'll be a good theme in time and many may look back at their first judgements once it's been in the film. My 2 peneth anyway -{
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    edited September 2015
    Listened for the second time.

I really like the melodies in the verses, and the instrumentation. But that's it.

The vocals do not work for bond. Whatsoever. SS was the wrong choice.

Also, the chorus isn't very good. No hook at all.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • HoldenHolden UKPosts: 664MI6 Agent
    **** piled upon ****.

Hardly a memorable tune and the trouble with SS's voice, is that once you've heard a couple of his songs, you get fed up of it quickly. Not a good choice for Spectre IMO.

CR & Skyfall best of the DC era, so far.
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    I believe it'll do the job nicely!
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
    Another Way to Die > Die Another Day > This crap
  • blame_thatcherblame_thatcher Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    General consensus is the song is a disappointment in some form or other. Daniel Kleinman has my sympathies.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Didn't feel like a full song - didn't build up to anything.

That's my biggest complaint. I can deal with Sam Smith's voice. As a composition it doesn't go anywhere, meaning it will fit in well with Thomas Newman's music. His compositions never go anywhere either.
    I think it actually could be pretty great if worked into the score like classic Bond themes/films. Whether or not they actually want to do that is another thing, though.

In the classic Bond films, the person who wrote the score usually wrote the theme, or at least worked on it. To ask Thomas Newman to use the theme in the score—a proper amount and not for just a few bars like in Skyfall—is an insult to him.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,342MI6 Agent
    I liked it up to 1.28, when the falsetto kicked in but that wasn't the only problem- the crescendo that seemed to be building from the beginning of the song just suddenly went flat. I think someone else commented that the verses are better than the chorus. I really like the orchestration though and think this will be great if incorporated into the score. Main test for me is seeing it on the main titles, only then will I know if it works...
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".