(Bond 24) SPECTRE's Opening Credits Theme Song.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :))
    Goodwill at Christmas ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I think Radiohead's SPECTRE has all of the faults of Sam smith's song and few of its virtues. SPECTRE has an OK refrain (the weakest part in "Writing's on the wall") but the rest is manure :#
    Without manure, nothing grows. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ScagnettiScagnetti UKPosts: 5MI6 Agent
    Wow did they make a massive blunder not going with Radiohead. Their song is sombre and atmospheric without being overly dull which is exactly what 'Writings on the Wall' is. Plus Thom Yorke can actually do falsetto without sounding like a whiny teenager ala Smith.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    The Radiohead song is so much better! The song really goes somewhere and doesn't hit a dead end like Smith's song. The song has the power that Smith's song lacks, and that power is necessary in a Bond film, especially considering the film that Spectre is. This song fits much better with the film.

Being named "Spectre" certainly helps too. There's no reason why the film's song shouldn't have been called that. It's not like trying to write a song called "Octopussy". I can't really understand what the lyrics are, but it wouldn't be hard to do better than Smith's lyrics. Having "Spectre" in the lyrics almost automatically makes the lyrics better.

But Radiohead lacks the mainstream power that Sam Smith has. Radiohead is not as popular as they once were. This song itself is also not as mainstream, with an unusual drum beat and some unorthodox harmonies, which I love!

Whilst the Sam Smith had to grow on me to accept it, the Radiohead song spoke to me from the first listen.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    edited December 2015
    I couldn't even get to the end of the Radiohead song, The usual
    Teenage agnst structure, that so many bands do these days. :#
    Even Another way to die, sounds like a Barry Masterpiece compared
    To it. :D
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    Vastly prefer the Radiohead song. Of course, I tend to prefer my music more experimental and less mainstream, and that goes for Bond themes as well, which is probably why I like both Madonna's 'Die Another Day' and Jack White's 'Another Way to Die'.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
    I think in many ways this disscussion shows what a hard job the Producers have in
    Picking a theme song. We fans have so many different opinions, and styles of music
    we like.
    Although, I'm certain Sam Smith with his #1 hit record and almost certain Oscar
    nomination, will be crying all the way to his bank. :)) and no amount of explanations
    on music structure, etc will change any opinions, we all like what we like, and dislike
    what we don't. :)
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Goodwill at Christmas ;)

There's not that much goodwill in the world mon Brav. Have a good one ;)
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    As I said we like what we like. :D
    Vastly prefer the Radiohead song. Of course, I tend to prefer my music more experimental and less mainstream, and that goes for Bond themes as well, which is probably why I like both Madonna's 'Die Another Day' and Jack White's 'Another Way to Die'.

Funny, I like more experimental music, and that's one reason why I don't like Die Another Day. It's far too mainstream. Another Way to Die is experimental for a Bond theme (an experiment that completely failed), but not experimental music overall.
    Matt S wrote:

Funny, I like more experimental music, and that's one reason why I don't like Die Another Day. It's far too mainstream. Another Way to Die is experimental for a Bond theme (an experiment that completely failed), but not experimental music overall.

It's a truly poor piece of work from the Prince of Beige who even at his best is so anodyne it's almost painful. His boast that it only took him fifteen minutes also rankles. SP was in many ways an upbeat fun film but accompanied by a soulless dirge. It has been almost universally panned but somehow sold by association. Please EON be a bit bolder next time.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    edited December 2015
    Had a proper listen to the Radiohead song - very beautiful, mysterious, haunting and a nice sinister sounding middle section and of course Thom actually uses the word SPECTRE in the lyrics.

As a fan of SPECTRE and huge Radiohead fan also I'm a bit gutted this was never used however EON were obviously after a more commercial sounding track (with the flavour of the moment) so I'm at all not surprised that it was not used!!!

I imagine Radiohead wrote the whole thing with Jonny Greenwood composing all the orchestra sections unlike Smith who just laid down a vocal with his "team" of musicians.

Pity really but understand why!

I guess the punter who put down that huge bet on Radiohead being the SPECTRE song is gutted - he obviously had the correct insider info but it didn't quite pan out like he thought :)) All makes sense now!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • MrBeechMrBeech Denver, COPosts: 57MI6 Agent
    I really like the Radiohead song but ultimately think Sam Smith's was more fit for the movie. HOWEVER, that being said, I am not a fan of Sam Smith's vocals (as in: I HATE them) and actually think the best fit would have been Lana Del Rey's "24" which I heard was in the running.

-{ -{
    Yes...considerably...
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    I am kind of a Radiohead fan, I have some of their albums and really like some of their stuff. But some other stuff by them not so much. This Spectre theme? Falls into the latter category. It's like their other work that I do not care for. Pretty bland to me and no hook whatsoever.

Sam Smith's song is far superior. Which sounds odd coming from me, a casual radiohead fan and a sam smith disliker.

How about Sam Smith's song performed by Radiohead? With some lyrical changes so it is still called Spectre. That would have worked best for me.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Revolver66Revolver66 Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 470MI6 Agent
    Really disappointed they didn't use Radioheads song for the film. Choosing between Radiohead and Sam Smith to do the song for your movie is like choosing between Martin Scorsese or Michael Bay to direct your movie. There is no choice and it's ludicrous they didn't use Radiohead. Like them or not they are undoubtebly the most critically acclaimed band since The Beatles and have released at least 4 bona fide classic albums. Whilst Sam Smith has released one album of radio friendly ballads and is the current flavour of the month. I understand the decision but it is a poor one, as Radioheads tune is far superior to Smith's. It is disappointing to see that they went for the cash grab over artistry. It is a decision that has often reflected the series at different times. Where something more daring and exciting has been passed over for a 'safe bet' which is logical but unsatisfying.
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    I'm sorry, but Radiohead's song is awful. It sounds unfinished (maybe it is?) and the words are unclear. It's being sung in a higher voice than Sam Smith for goodness sakes!
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
    Revolver66 wrote:
    Really disappointed they didn't use Radioheads song for the film. Choosing between Radiohead and Sam Smith to do the song for your movie is like choosing between Martin Scorsese or Michael Bay to direct your movie. There is no choice and it's ludicrous they didn't use Radiohead. Like them or not they are undoubtebly the most critically acclaimed band since The Beatles and have released at least 4 bona fide classic albums. Whilst Sam Smith has released one album of radio friendly ballads and is the current flavour of the month. I understand the decision but it is a poor one, as Radioheads tune is far superior to Smith's. It is disappointing to see that they went for the cash grab over artistry. It is a decision that has often reflected the series at different times. Where something more daring and exciting has been passed over for a 'safe bet' which is logical but unsatisfying.

I completely agree with you, though I'm surprised to find just as much, if not more, dislike here for Radiohead's song as there was for Smith's. But I can understand that Smith's song would have a much wider appeal. Both songs are actually quite similar, but Radiohead's song really builds up to something whilst Sam Smith's song builds to nothing.

I looked up what the lyrics are to Spectre and they are considerably better than Writing's on the Wall's lyrics. Radiohead's song fits the film so much better too, both musically and lyrically.
    Radioheads music often requires a bit of patience and few listens for the listener to fully appreciate the music. I think that this why their music often goes over people's heads at first. A bit more investigation and you'll find that this song is one of the best songs to be associated with James Bond.
    edited December 2015
    And I also concur with everything you said Matt S :))
    edited December 2015
    :)) I do love it when members post their subjective opinions as definitive Facts ! :))
    The term, Same sh*t different day, springs to mind, so I'm leaving it alone. ;)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I'm sorry, but Radiohead's song is awful. It sounds unfinished (maybe it is?)

Ditto! {[]
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    :)) I do love it when members post their subjective opinions as definitive Facts ! :))

This website compiled 21,000 best of lists to find both the most critically acclaimed band and album of all time. Radiohead were 2 and 1 respectively. How's that for subjective opinion :)) :))

http://www.besteveralbums.com/bandstats.php

Can't we just take it as a given that statements are opinions as apologising by using IMHO or 'just my opinion' gets dull. I'm not even sure that all opinions are subjective and equally valid, there can be grounds for saying ' this is a poor film or song etc, but that takes us into the realm of critical theory and is probably not appropriate here. I will continue to express personal opinions, although I suspect that they really are facts in disguise ;)
    I agree there are grounds to say that a song or a film is better or worse than others and highlight specific arguments to back up our 'opinion'. I also think we can be critical and analyse elements of the Bond franchise even though this is a fan forum, as critiquing what you like and don't like is part of the fun :)). There are also elements of opinions that are indeed facts. ie when I said that Radiohead are the most acclaimed band since The Beatles. It is not merely my own opinion. It is a fact because as the evidence suggests, they are the most acclaimed band since The Beatles. Now i'm not saying you have to like them, but you can't escape that fact. Like how Citizen Kane is the most acclaimed film of all time. It is. Even if you don't like it there is no arguing that it isn't. You can’t just palm it off on personal opinion. Where my opinion comes in is that due to this fact, I think that they would have been a fair more suitable choice for Spectre. And again, in my opinion, their song proved it. Anyways... chin chin! -{ -{
    Revolver66 wrote:
    I agree there are grounds to say that a song or a film is better or worse than others and highlight specific arguments to back up our 'opinion'. I also think we can be critical and analyse elements of the Bond franchise even though this is a fan forum, as critiquing what you like and don't like is part of the fun :)). There are also elements of opinions that are indeed facts. ie when I said that Radiohead are the most acclaimed band since The Beatles. It is not merely my own opinion. It is a fact because as the evidence suggests, they are the most acclaimed band since The Beatles. Now i'm not saying you have to like them, but you can't escape that fact. Like how Citizen Kane is the most acclaimed film of all time. It is. Even if you don't like it there is no arguing that it isn't. You can’t just palm it off on personal opinion. Where my opinion comes in is that due to this fact, I think that they would have been a fair more suitable choice for Spectre. And again, in my opinion, their song proved it. Anyways... chin chin! -{ -{

Getting perilously close to Meta criticism ?: :)) :)
    Facts are only relevant when they agree with your opinion ? ;) Oddly enough I have no training
    in music, yet manage to know what I like, without the need for polls to tell me. What I should like. :D
    I'm no fan of either Sam or Radiohead, an ordinary punter ;) and of the two songs presented, in my
    opinion the Producers made the right choice. As to which song is better? That's as subjective as
    do you prefer Picasso to Munch. :))
    As always friends not looking for an argument, after all in my opinion the greatest band of all time
    was Jive Bunny. :D
    edited December 2015
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:

Getting perilously close to Meta criticism ?: :)) :)

sure meta criticism is as valid as any other form of criticism :))
    Facts are only relevant when they agree with your opinion ? ;) Oddly enough I have no training
    in music, yet manage to know what I like, without the need for polls to tell me. What I should like. :D
    I'm no fan of either Sam or Radiohead, an ordinary punter ;) and of the two songs presented, in my
    opinion the Producers made the right choice. As to which song is better? That's as subjective as
    do you prefer Picasso to Munch. :))
    As always friends not looking for an argument, after all in my opinion the greatest band of all time
    was Jive Bunny. :D

I'm not telling you what to like hombre i'm just pointing out that my previous statement that you accused me of incorrectly presenting as fact was in fact, accurate. ;) And of course as i'm arguing this fact then the fact that the fact was in fact, a fact, was totally relevant with my opinion ;) As for everything else, you're so right, horses for courses :x
    edited December 2015
    By the way Revolver66, what makes you think my comments were directed at you ? ;)
    There are many members commenting on this thread, as for Citizen Kane being the best
    movie ever made ? ..... seems that Fact has now changed !
    http://www.bfi.org.uk/news/50-greatest-films-all-time
    The current Fact is that Vertigo, is Now considered the best film ever made, so it would
    appear that Facts like opinions can Change. :p eh! hombre

http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-best-rock-bands-of-all-time
    http://www.thetoptens.com/rock-bands/
    http://diffuser.fm/influential-bands/
    http://www.thetoptens.com/most-influential-rock-groups/
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Radiohead&page=4

wow, all these music sites listing top influential, bands etc and no mention of Radiohead. :p
    Guess I can find Facts too. :))